PS2 + RPG + Love Story = ????? (Any suggestions?)

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Zilor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

User Lists: 0

#1 Zilor
Member since 2002 • 4355 Posts

Greetings everyone, I have a favor to ask of any RPG fans here. My girlfriend has been seeking a new RPG for her PS2 now for a bit, and while I have a fairly extensive collection of RPGs apparently none suit her ever so specific tastes.

She wants an RPG, she loves KOTOR, Fable, and Final Fantasy. She hates tactical RPGs in the vein of Disgaea or FF Tactics. She would prefer one with a love story for sure, but if there is a really good RPG without one I'll still bring it up, so just specify if it has one or not please.

I'm just not sure what to suggest as it's been a fair while since the PS2 was any focus of mine having moved onto the PS3 and 360 some time ago.

So, any suggestions would be appreciated, thank you muchly.

Bgrngod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#2 Bgrngod
Member since 2002 • 5766 Posts

Uhm.. like every single JRPG ever released for it?

I take it she already busted through FFX? That seems like the obvious choice.

Avatar image for InsomniacZombie
InsomniacZombie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#4 InsomniacZombie
Member since 2003 • 805 Posts

Uhm.. like every single JRPG ever released for it?

I take it she already busted through FFX? That seems like the obvious choice.

Bgrngod

hahah i thought the same thing, the better question would be "name me a ps rpg that doesnt have a love story" The best corny love story i played was obviously ffx.

Zilor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Zilor

Ah, good idea to list what she has played.

Final Fantasy VII-X-2 + 12. Chrono Trigger, Fable, Kotor 1&2.

She has played most of these, aside Chrono Trigger, through like 10 times a piece, so she is craving something new. Soon as she gets a 360 lost odyssey will be up for consumption, but till then she wants something new.

She's also picky which is why I ask for help, I have about 60 or so PS2 games and she's found most unsatisfactory.

I do realize most JRPGs have a love story, I'm just asking for the best ones from personal experiences.

SuperAgentZero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#7 SuperAgentZero
Member since 2007 • 476 Posts
Grandia 3
Ragnarok1051

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#8 Ragnarok1051
Member since 2007 • 20238 Posts

Grandia 3SuperAgentZero

Awesome game. FF8 had a strong love story to it, but FF9 has the greatest IMO.

CommanderShiro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 CommanderShiro
Member since 2005 • 21746 Posts
Dragon Quest VIII, it has a love story but it doesn't develop really until much later on in the game.
spanky333

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 78

#10 spanky333
Member since 2004 • 885 Posts

Another vote here for FFIX.

Zilor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Zilor

Well it may not have been clear but I meant she's played FF7 through X2 and 12. I forgot she has played Shadow Hearts 2, disliked SH1 for some reason.

The Disney Characters of Kingdom Hearts would stab that like a bad turkey.

Granadia 3, Growlanser, and Dragonquest 8 shall be suggested however.

yentar480

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 yentar480
Member since 2007 • 5066 Posts
PERSONA 3
Vudu_Line

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Vudu_Line
Member since 2007 • 1571 Posts
uhh... FF VIII?
Avatar image for TheLegendKnight
TheLegendKnight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 TheLegendKnight
Member since 2007 • 1853 Posts
Grandia 3 is totally love story, so cliche, but one of the greatest gameplay ever
FLCL_neku

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 FLCL_neku
Member since 2008 • 156 Posts

Lunar Silver Star Story and Lunar 2 Eternal Blue on the ps1 :3

Valkyrie Profile (the first one),Rhapsody, Grandia 1 and 2, Skies of Arcadia........

willxcool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#17 willxcool
Member since 2006 • 2038 Posts
Radiata stroies and dragon quest 8
3KindgomsRandy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#18 3KindgomsRandy
Member since 2005 • 15488 Posts

Well it may not have been clear but I meant she's played FF7 through X2 and 12. I forgot she has played Shadow Hearts 2, disliked SH1 for some reason.

The Disney Characters of Kingdom Hearts would stab that like a bad turkey.

Granadia 3, Growlanser, and Dragonquest 8 shall be suggested however.

Zilor

Incidentally, Growlanser is a real time tactical RPG. Based on your original comments, it would not be up her alley.

It wasn't a tremendously great game (not bad though, just a tad hokey sometimes), but Ar Tonelico is almost exclusively about the relationships between the main character and his two female spell casters.

Zilor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Zilor

Thanks a bunch everyone, I'll show her this... So if she doesn't like one of them, it's all your faults and not mine. lol.

CommanderShiro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 CommanderShiro
Member since 2005 • 21746 Posts

Thanks a bunch everyone, I'll show her this... So if she doesn't like one of them, it's all your faults and not mine. lol.

Zilor
lol Why thanks.
Avatar image for TheLegendKnight
TheLegendKnight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 TheLegendKnight
Member since 2007 • 1853 Posts

Zilor

dont worry you'll be the one who is smacked

rpgmadboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 38

#23 rpgmadboy
Member since 2006 • 1086 Posts
Tales of the abyss is an action RPG and it is very good. and there is a love story also. great game and very underated.
Zilor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Zilor
[QUOTE="Zilor"]

TheLegendKnight

Yeah... :?

mike7677

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 mike7677
Member since 2006 • 2426 Posts

I agree whole heartedly with FFX. if you can find these PSOne titles, I also recommend FFVII and VIII.

Then there was Lunar:SSS. I loved that girls singing.

mohmaaytah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#26 mohmaaytah
Member since 2003 • 2397 Posts
[QUOTE="Zilor"]

TheLegendKnight

Not to mention left sleeping on the couch...

On topic, it seems she has already played most of the ones with an interesting love story. You are left with Rogue Galaxy, Star Ocean 3, Digital Devil Saga and so on, but in all of these love is a distant thought.

3KindgomsRandy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#27 3KindgomsRandy
Member since 2005 • 15488 Posts

The reason I suggested Growlanser is because he said she hates tactical games in the vein of FF Tactics and Disgaea and those are turn based and grid style which Growlanser is far from.

7CloudStrife7

Ah, I missed the part where he said FFT and Disgaea.

Threesixtyci

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Threesixtyci
Member since 2006 • 4451 Posts

Tales of the Abyss, is probably your best bet.... besides FF10, 9, 8, 7 and 6. Suikoden V may work out, too. Oh... and Radiata Stories. You may just want to get that instead, being that it's fairly cheap and still easy to find. Circuitcity.com used to have the game for under 9 bucks, but they don't seem to carry it anymore.

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=3868591http://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2806083

Oh...and if she can wait, definitely get Persona 3: FES. Should be on store shelves on April 23nd. Not to mention it's cheap price.... which being an Atlus game, won't stay that cheap once they run out of prints. http://www.gamestop.com/product.asp?product%5Fid=281894

I suggest looking into Fatal Frame 2, Okami and Haunting Ground, too. none RPG's, but all very Japanese and more than interesting in their own right. Rule of Rose has a very good story, too, but extremely crappy gameplay. Oh... and I bet the ending of Metal Gear Solid 3 will make her cry. Might as well look into this: http://www.gamestop.com/product.asp?product%5Fid=281885 Heh bet it'll make you cry, as well. Although... she probalbly won't care for the gameplay.

(heh...she probably didn't like how Shadow Hearts orginally ended. .either that..or it was the simplified gameplay and low budget look of the game.)

Just thought of 2 more.... the boxes look crappy... and the game itself looks pretty crappy. But if you give them half a chance they both are pretty surprising..... Disaster Report and Raw Danger. (raw danger is probably the better of the 2 from a girl perspective, I'd guess.... mainly being you get control of some girls in the game, where as Disaster Report you have control of a guy throughout the whole game. Also Disaster Report has some major slow down issues.)

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=5996719http://www.ebgames.com/product.asp?product%5Fid=938511

might be worth it just to see her reaction....

Maybe she'll like ICO, as well?

Prince of Persia: Sands of time has a pretty good story to it.... (not an RPG, though)

Odin Sphere? (is a good RPG side scroll game, but has major slow down issues. Story has a bit of everything in it and a few from a female perspective, as well.) http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=5366713

I just keep on remember stuff. Xenosaga... how can I forget Xenosaga. The last episode is really the golden one (and probably the hardest to get a hold of), but playing the first 2 first, is recommended.... The last episode is the one with the majority of the love story.... the first one is mainly Sci-fi, the 2nd one is mainly filler.

Zilor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Zilor

Thanks everyone, especially Threesixty. I showed it to her and... well there was no strong reaction one way or another. She may need further time to dwell on her options, but it is muchly appreciated at any rate.

Thanks yall. (A new yorker saying yall, something is very wrong in this world.)