Please 2K, kill bioshock

This topic is locked from further discussion.

diddy007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#1 diddy007
Member since 2006 • 77 Posts
I just beat the game.... IT IS AWESOME and the story is one of the best I've seen so far. So please 2K don't realease a sequel in order to cash in on the success of the game. Instead, I would love to see them using the same ideas again in other games but please... LEAVE RAPTURE AS IT STANDS NOW.
Planeforger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2 Planeforger
Member since 2004 • 19599 Posts

I totally agree.

If anything, they should buy the rights to System Shock 3, and make a sequel that we actually want.

Cry0Tek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#3 Cry0Tek
Member since 2007 • 863 Posts

I totally agree.

If anything, they should buy the rights to System Shock 3, and make a sequel that we actually want.

Planeforger

That would be great! To top it off they should then port System Shock 2 to XBLA w/updated HD graphics and such. :P

VGLeo34

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#4 VGLeo34
Member since 2007 • 135 Posts
No, itd be system shock 4 since bioshock is in almost every way related to system shock 2, also, Valve or. um, some other company would do a better job then 2k since 2k makes mostly sports games
Avatar image for 190586385885857957282413308806

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 116

#5 190586385885857957282413308806
Member since 2002 • 13084 Posts

No, itd be system shock 4 since bioshock is in almost every way related to system shock 2, also, Valve or. um, some other company would do a better job then 2k since 2k makes mostly sports gamesVGLeo34

2K is a publisher (well now that they changed Irrational to 2K I cna't say that anymore) Anyways the people that made Bioshock have also made the Freedom Force Series, SWAT series and a lot of them were responsible for System Shock, they never made a sports game before.

nopalversion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#6 nopalversion
Member since 2005 • 4757 Posts
Huh, I was expecting another hate thread. I don't know, they don't have to make a sequel, they can just flesh out the story. Or they could think up a whole new premise for their next game, at a higher creative risk. Both would work for me.
LordAndrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 LordAndrew
Member since 2005 • 7355 Posts
I've said this before when there's been talk of a sequel. If they're going to make one it should be set in a different universe.
Robnyc22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Robnyc22
Member since 2007 • 1029 Posts
[QUOTE="Planeforger"]

I totally agree.

Cry0Tek

That would be great! To top it off they should then port System Shock 2 to XBLA w/updated HD graphics and such. :P

System Shock 2, and the System Shock franchise should be left alone......just like the Fallout franchise should have been left alone after Fallout 2 and after most of the Black Isle team members had left. System Shock 2 was an amazing a groundbreaking game for the time.....but today publishers, the market, and game audiences have changed and the trend of multiplatform development is such a factor that a SS3 series would feel too disconnected with the series.....just like the Bethesda's game feels completely disconnected with the original Fallout series name.

BioShock is an excellent game....but it's also an departure from the overall feel and complexity of SS2, and if BioShock is an indication, there is no way that game can have a sequel that would properly follow in the footsteps of SS2.

As an original IP BioShock was an excellent game, but I wouldn't at all call it a successor of any sort to SS2....the two games are too different both in theme and overall gameplay.

I also agree that BioShock should be left alone.....it worked well, and the ending, the good one at least, provided proper closure for the storyline. Especially since I heard the BioShock team was broken up anyway and that Ken Levine wouldn't be heading a BioShock sequel if there was one.

As someone above me said, I would much rather see elements that worked in BioShock used in some updated modern form in more original games from 2K Boston.

If there is one sequel I would like to see from 2K Boston or 2K Australia it's a Freedom Force 3 given the cliffhanger ending of FF vs. The Third Reich, not to mention the FF series isn't that old.

Nikalai_88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Nikalai_88
Member since 2006 • 1755 Posts
[QUOTE="Planeforger"]

I totally agree.

Cry0Tek

WTF are you talking about, I am pretty sure SS2 supported HD resolutions.

prasath_amd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 prasath_amd
Member since 2007 • 278 Posts
I haven't played Bioshock yet but I've completed the demo thrice....It blew me away....Bioshock is Awesome.... :o
Brmarlin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#11 Brmarlin
Member since 2006 • 2559 Posts
I have a theory on how it could work but I don't know spoiler tags so I'm keeping it to myself.
Planeforger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Planeforger
Member since 2004 • 19599 Posts
[QUOTE="Cry0Tek"][QUOTE="Planeforger"]

I totally agree.

Robnyc22

System Shock 2, and the System Shock franchise should be left alone......just like the Fallout franchise should have been left alone after Fallout 2 and after most of the Black Isle team members had left. System Shock 2 was an amazing a groundbreaking game for the time.....but today publishers, the market, and game audiences have changed and the trend of multiplatform development is such a factor that a SS3 series would feel too disconnected with the series.....just like the Bethesda's game feels completely disconnected with the original Fallout series name.

BioShock is an excellent game....but it's also an departure from the overall feel and complexity of SS2, and if BioShock is an indication, there is no way that game can have a sequel that would properly follow in the footsteps of SS2.

As an original IP BioShock was an excellent game, but I wouldn't at all call it a successor of any sort to SS2....the two games are too different both in theme and overall gameplay.

I also agree that BioShock should be left alone.....it worked well, and the ending, the good one at least, provided proper closure for the storyline. Especially since I heard the BioShock team was broken up anyway and that Ken Levine wouldn't be heading a BioShock sequel if there was one.

As someone above me said, I would much rather see elements that worked in BioShock used in some updated modern form in more original games from 2K Boston.

If there is one sequel I would like to see from 2K Boston or 2K Australia it's a Freedom Force 3 given the cliffhanger ending of FF vs. The Third Reich, not to mention the FF series isn't that old.

^^ This is much better than my suggestion. I agree 100% - especially about Freedom Force 3.

EvilTaru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 EvilTaru
Member since 2002 • 58394 Posts

I just beat the game.... IT IS AWESOME and the story is one of the best I've seen so far. So please 2K don't realease a sequel in order to cash in on the success of the game. Instead, I would love to see them using the same ideas again in other games but please... LEAVE RAPTURE AS IT STANDS NOW.diddy007

Too late, they're probably working on a sequel as we speak. The IP makes MONEY, you've got to be kidding if you think 2K is going to just leave the money on the table. Ken Levine might work on something else though.

ElArab

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 ElArab
Member since 2007 • 5754 Posts
Am I the only one who thinks Bioshocks story sucks? Besides Zero Punctuation (or Yahtzee, w/e you call him) of course
Jbul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#15 Jbul
Member since 2007 • 4838 Posts

Unless Ken Levine is involved, and it's a prequel, yes, I agree It was a landmark game, and I don't want it to be tainted.

But since we don't always get what we want..... the rumor is that 2K's new studio in the Bay Area is already working on Bioshock 2, with some of the original team members involved.

Avatar image for AtomicTangerine
AtomicTangerine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 AtomicTangerine
Member since 2005 • 4413 Posts

Am I the only one who thinks Bioshocks story sucks? Besides Zero Punctuation (or Yahtzee, w/e you call him) of courseElArab

I wouldn't say it sucks, but I do think it is pretty average for a game. The presentation was cool and all that, but the actual story was predictable, full of holes, and the ending is very lame once you consider how much this game talked about choice.

To say that Bioshock did for linear shooters in 2007 what Half-Life did back in 1998 is just wrong.

Either way, I think the game explored the universe to the point where there is nothing else to do. Of course, 2K won't agree with me...

Wasdie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#17 Wasdie  Moderator
Member since 2003 • 53622 Posts
You know what would make a killer movie? How Rapture was built and got the way it is. Think of it.
Robnyc22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Robnyc22
Member since 2007 • 1029 Posts

Am I the only one who thinks Bioshocks story sucks? Besides Zero Punctuation (or Yahtzee, w/e you call him) of courseElArab

BioShock doesn't have a story in the narrative sense of the term where it is simply delivered to the player.

Like games like Half Life 2, System Shock, etc....the "story" of BioShock is presented in the environment itself and it is up to the player how much they want to explore and how much of the story they want to uncover.

Rapture of BioShock actually has an excellent story behind it, but that's only if the player is willing to explore the world in order to discover it.

Of course the core gameplay plot is the story about the player (jack) and his quest through Rapture.....but that is hardly the actual story of Rapture, in which there is actually more then one throughout the game.

Avatar image for 190586385885857957282413308806

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 116

#19 190586385885857957282413308806
Member since 2002 • 13084 Posts

I never understood why people would want series to end... if you think Bioshock 1 has all that you want to see then simply don't purchase 2 when they make it.

If they make 2 and it ruins the series.... don't buy it.

Alter_Echo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#20 Alter_Echo
Member since 2003 • 10724 Posts
I want to see another SS game.
Lostboy1224

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#21 Lostboy1224
Member since 2007 • 3425 Posts

You know they will make that sequel, which is the biggest sin of all. Originality dies one second at a time.

Nikalai_88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Nikalai_88
Member since 2006 • 1755 Posts

[QUOTE="ElArab"]Am I the only one who thinks Bioshocks story sucks? Besides Zero Punctuation (or Yahtzee, w/e you call him) of courseRobnyc22

BioShock doesn't have a story in the narrative sense of the term where it is simply delivered to the player.

Like games like Half Life 2, System Shock, etc....the "story" of BioShock is presented in the environment itself and it is up to the player how much they want to explore and how much of the story they want to uncover.

Rapture of BioShock actually has an excellent story behind it, but that's only if the player is willing to explore the world in order to discover it.

Of course the core gameplay plot is the story about the player (jack) and his quest through Rapture.....but that is hardly the actual story of Rapture, in which there is actually more then one throughout the game.

I wouldn't call finding tape recorders and large posters or huge messages that cover up entire walls style of Bioshock the same as HL2. Where in HL2 the meaning of the events or the setting is up to you to understand in Bioshock there is always a recording, a ghost or for that matter many other things to explain its significance to you or what exactly happened, they might feel more naturally integrated but the style is still not the same as HL2.

Anyways Bioshock wasn't that of an amazing game so I don't really care what 2k desides to do with it. They could just as well take the name and put it into a new setting/story that has something to do with bio and shock.

subrosian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#23 subrosian
Member since 2005 • 14232 Posts

No, I disliked Bioshock's storyline, and frankly felt the game had dozens upon dozens of technical, artistic, and design faults. People were very forgiving because of its "atmosphere" (graphics, sound) and the "underwater world". To me, it felt like they took a "zombies / aliens take over the space station" sci-fi game, tried (kind of unsuccesfully) to make it Steampunk, and switched "cold depths of space" with "cold depths of the ocean".

It sounds creative on paper, but really the only "creative" things I saw in the game were the Big Daddies / Little Sisters. Even that became old quickly - since by your second or third encounter you had a solid idea of how to take one down. By the middle of the game I was running around with no need to conserve ammo, being forced to play the same "move the water" minigame repeatedly as I hacked everything, and simply found myself genuinely bored.

The "story" being told through scratchy voice overs and radio clips - ones that were sometimes drowned out by the sounds of gunfire or other ambiant noises, simply didn't work for me.

-

All that said, no they shouldn't make a Bioshock 2, or attempt System Shock 3, or anything of the sort. Poor Ayn Rand's been misinterpreted once already by 2K / Ken Levine - love it or hate it, I think we can all agree - a second attempt would put more people on the "hate it" side.

warmaster670

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 warmaster670
Member since 2004 • 4699 Posts

I totally agree.

Planeforger

speak for yourself please

xboxlove79

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 xboxlove79
Member since 2005 • 207 Posts
Would personally love a game that tells the origin story of Rapture. A Bioshock prequel would be nice, but only if by the same team of people responsible for Bioshock. No one else!!!
Kazona

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

#26 Kazona
Member since 2003 • 1377 Posts
As long as they make a good sequel then I see no problem with it. Besides, it doesn't even have to be a direct sequel, could just as well be a spinoff of some sort, or a side story. Who knows, maybe some of the original inhabitants of rapture managed to get out before it all went to hell in a handbasket, so you could make a game about that. If they do it right, it'll allow people to see Rapture for what it was really meant to be according to Ryan's visions before slowly falls into ruin and your goal becomes survival and escape.