PlayStation 4 due in 2013 - Report

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Metamania

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

User Lists: 0

#1 Metamania
Member since 2002 • 12035 Posts

Link

The PlayStation 4 will hit store shelves next year, sources have told the Wall Street Journal. The unnamed tipsters said Sony is aiming to hit this date, but did not elaborate further. A Sony representative declined to comment for GameSpot.

On top of outing a release window for the PS4, the paper's sources explained Sony considered making it download-only, but ultimately decided against it. According to the report, Sony's flirtation with such a system came to a hault mainly because of concerns regarding the prevalence and reliability of Internet connections around the world.

A user in a region with a relatively slow Internet connection would face lengthy download times, and this turned Sony off to the idea, the source said. A Sony representative told GameSpot, "This is rumor and we do not comment on rumor."

If Sony had moved forward with a digital-only home console, it would have followed the company's PSP Go in ditching boxed games. That system shipped in 2009, and during one week in February 2011, was outsold by its PSP predecessor 1,000-to-1 in Japan.

The site also reports that Microsoft's next Xbox will boast an optical disc drive, as was suggested earlier this year when rumor had the new console sporting a Blu-ray drive. The source told the paper that Microsoft also harbored concerns regarding access to reliable Internet connections when devising plans for its upcoming console.

Gamespot

Sounds like that's a good decision on their behalf, in regards to not making their system a download-only console, if it proves out to be true.

Any thoughts?

Jbul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#2 Jbul
Member since 2007 • 4838 Posts

A much more credible source than most of what we've been hearing, that's for sure. I just hope Sony keeps it simple -- powerful hardware that's easier to develop for, launches for under $400 and isn't centered around motion-control bull-f*cking-sh*t. That's all I want, as a gamer. They've got the development talent, and this generation has been a big piece of humble pie for them -- hopefully they've learned.

Avatar image for Black_Knight_00
Black_Knight_00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#3 Black_Knight_00
Member since 2007 • 77 Posts
If the PS4 will have good quality party chat and free online I will have no reason whatsoever to buy the new xbox. Don't f*ck this up Sony
sukraj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#4 sukraj
Member since 2008 • 27859 Posts

I dont think i'll bother with PS4 because i've hardly ued my PS3 so i'm sticking with Xbox.

campzor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#5 campzor
Member since 2004 • 34932 Posts
IM HOPING SO.. this gen has gone on for too long...and i only joined it in 08 :\ Ps4 reveal e3 , latest tgs.. release next year.. make it happen sony
DarkCatalyst

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 DarkCatalyst
Member since 2002 • 20972 Posts
OHSUGI KITAAAAA... *ahem* If the PS4/Orbis lands sometime over the holidays, that's perfect timing. And looking at trends going on within the PlayStation brand right now, I just get the feeling that this system could be something really special.
skipper847

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#7 skipper847
Member since 2006 • 7334 Posts

I better win that big £92million euromillions tomorrow night then.

S0lidSnake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#8 S0lidSnake
Member since 2002 • 29001 Posts

I will eche what Jbul said. They must not focus on motion controls and tablet gimmicks.... simply give us a powerful console and price it at $399. If the Vita is any indication, this thing will be the most powerful console next gen.

Sadly, I hear they were building a kinect styIe camera for next gen, so maybe they haven't learned from all their mistakes.

dotWithShoes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#9 dotWithShoes
Member since 2006 • 5596 Posts

I will eche what Jbul said. They must not focus on motion controls and tablet gimmicks.... simply give us a powerful console and price it at $399. If the Vita is any indication, this thing will be the most powerful console next gen.

Sadly, I hear they were building a kinect styIe camera for next gen, so maybe they haven't learned from all their mistakes.

S0lidSnake
Sony is truly in a spot to lose a ton of money on each console they sell, history has proven that Sony likes doing that.
brucecambell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 brucecambell
Member since 2011 • 1489 Posts

If the PS4 will have good quality party chat and free online I will have no reason whatsoever to buy the new xbox. Don't f*ck this up SonyBlack_Knight_00

Thats what i was thnking too.

branketra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#11 branketra
Member since 2006 • 51726 Posts
No digital-download only. Never for a home console.
Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#12 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 44453 Posts
Yeah I can see this happening. I'm not surprised that they would both consider then turn down the idea of a download-only system. The Internet just isn't there yet.
Avatar image for Shame-usBlackley
Shame-usBlackley

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Shame-usBlackley
Member since 2002 • 18266 Posts

A much more credible source than most of what we've been hearing, that's for sure. I just hope Sony keeps it simple -- powerful hardware that's easier to develop for, launches for under $400 and isn't centered around motion-control bull-f*cking-sh*t. That's all I want, as a gamer. They've got the development talent, and this generation has been a big piece of humble pie for them -- hopefully they've learned.

Jbul

Amen.

Sony is core gaming's last hope. This generation showed how awful a Microsoft-dominated market might look, and it wasn't pretty. Sony needs to remember its past success with the PS1 and PS2 and remember that there were 100 million+ willing participants worlwide with those conventional systems. Chasing the rabbit down the same brown sh!thole that Microsoft is with Kinect leads to nowhere but failure. The core market is more than large enough -- there's no need to f*ck about trying to get gramma and a bunch of spastic fuc*wits to play a bunch of dumbed down games when there's already a gigantic pool to draw from.

I hope they've learned too -- they are the only company getting my money this next time around (assuming they have learned).

Metamania

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Metamania

The only thing that I'm worried about is BC. If Sony's PS4 is not BC, then, if I owned a PS3, I wouldn't be trading in my library or my PS3 for it. If, on the other hand, they make it capable enough to play all PS3 games, then I would trade in my PS3 for a PS4, without question. BC plays an important role to me in my console purchases these days...

AcidSoldner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 AcidSoldner
Member since 2007 • 7051 Posts

The only thing that I'm worried about is BC. If Sony's PS4 is not BC, then, if I owned a PS3, I wouldn't be trading in my library or my PS3 for it. If, on the other hand, they make it capable enough to play all PS3 games, then I would trade in my PS3 for a PS4, without question. BC plays an important role to me in my console purchases these days...

Metamania
I doubt it'll have BC. They only ones who really cared about BC this gen were Nintendo.
DarkCatalyst

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 DarkCatalyst
[QUOTE="Metamania"]

AcidSoldner
I doubt it'll have BC. They only ones who really cared about BC this gen were Nintendo.

Then we as a gaming public need to ram it down their throats.
ZombieKiller7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#17 ZombieKiller7
Member since 2011 • 6463 Posts

I have a feeling it will be successful, though it doesn't change anything, it's still "wait and see" for myself and many other people.

"Orbis" name suggests a media-centric device where everything on the TV revolves around the PS4, I expect heavy multimedia features.

Backwards compatibility, I highly doubt it, because the current architecture is not good, they will definitely change it. Cell is gone. It will be alot more PC-like architecture and probably using DirectX. You can forget about PS3 games working on a PS4.

Xbox720 will be basically 360 on steroids and will have a much better chance at BC.

Highly doubtful the price will be below $499 or above $599.

Kinect 2.0

Same controller with a better d-pad.

Same network infrastructure.

PSN will also probably be the same, maybe with small improvements like party chat and custom music.

Both systems will have MMOFPS.

Bungie is working on one for the Xbox360 right now, should be out by 2013 right before the 720's launch, it's planned for 3 sequels, first episode will be avail for 360, the other 3 will be on 720.

Also there is a multiplatform MMOFPS in the works, that will probably have PS4 as the lead platform. It a post-apocalypse MMOFPS. Also Dust514 later this year is rumored to be MMOFPS in scale and also free-to-play.

Welp those are the rumors so far that I know of.

Personally I'm leaning towards Xbox720 if Kinect isn't mandatory, or PS4 if it is.

I don't really hate Kinect, I'm just not setup for motion gaming, don't have room in my house for Kinect, so if it's too prominent I will have to go with the only "core" system which will be the PS4.

DarkCatalyst

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 DarkCatalyst
I just think Orbis is a clever branding name. Orbis Vita - the circle of life. Although it does seem to bring forth the same imagery as the reasoning behind Xbox 360's name.
Metamania

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Metamania

I just think Orbis is a clever branding name. Orbis Vita - the circle of life. Although it does seem to bring forth the same imagery as the reasoning behind Xbox 360's name.DarkCatalyst

Is that a name they created or just you? :P

Dracula68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Dracula68
Member since 2002 • 33109 Posts

[QUOTE="DarkCatalyst"]I just think Orbis is a clever branding name. Orbis Vita - the circle of life. Although it does seem to bring forth the same imagery as the reasoning behind Xbox 360's name.Metamania

I've seen that mentioned on Kotaku earlier in the week.

lensflare15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 lensflare15
Member since 2010 • 6652 Posts

I'm interested to see what it has to offer, but I won't get for a few more years at least. I'm still satisfied playing PS3 games and games for older systems.

Vari3ty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Vari3ty
Member since 2009 • 11111 Posts

I really want to see a redesigned Dualshock. Almost everything about the PS3 is better to me than the 360, other than the 360's being far more comfortable (in my opinion). It's been what, 3 generations with the same controller? Time to switch it up a bit.

meetroid8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 meetroid8
Member since 2005 • 21152 Posts
Sounds plausible, I never believed the download only nonsense, considering the massive failure of the Go.
Rattlesnake_8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

#24 Rattlesnake_8
Member since 2004 • 18452 Posts
I don't understand how anyone could believe the rumors about an online only console. The PSP Go failed hard and showed companies that gamers aren't wanting to be online only. We want our games on discs and we don't want to be connected online EVERY time we play games. The sooner they release the next gen the better. Then i'll continue enjoying my current gen games and pick up the next gen when they have a decent library and a price drop.
Nicko2580

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Nicko2580
Member since 2012 • 76 Posts

After my fiasco with Sony over my PS3 I'll never buy another product from them again. This console could grant me three wishes and I'd still tell them to shove it.

The PS3 was great right up until we finished watching a blu-ray one night. Straight after it asked me to download an update (the one for 3D when it first came out) and right after that update my console stopped recognizing any disc's. No games, DVD's, blu-rays. Basically bricked. Sony couldn't care less. Basically told me to suck it up and go buy a new one.

At least Microsoft had the balls to own up to their mistake and repair my console for free when it was their problem AND they throw me a couple of games to sweeten the deal.

DarkCatalyst

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 DarkCatalyst

[QUOTE="DarkCatalyst"]I just think Orbis is a clever branding name. Orbis Vita - the circle of life. Although it does seem to bring forth the same imagery as the reasoning behind Xbox 360's name.Metamania

I don't create bullsh*t rumors. Orbis has been the working name for a few months now.
DarkCatalyst

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 DarkCatalyst

I really want to see a redesigned Dualshock. Almost everything about the PS3 is better to me than the 360, other than the 360's being far more comfortable (in my opinion). It's been what, 3 generations with the same controller? Time to switch it up a bit.

Vari3ty
Agree to a point. Put a slightly larger version of the Vita D-Pad on it, give us concave L2 and R2 triggers, and otherwise leave it alone.
GodModeEnabled

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 GodModeEnabled
Member since 2005 • 15314 Posts

After my fiasco with Sony over my PS3 I'll never buy another product from them again. This console could grant me three wishes and I'd still tell them to shove it.

The PS3 was great right up until we finished watching a blu-ray one night. Straight after it asked me to download an update (the one for 3D when it first came out) and right after that update my console stopped recognizing any disc's. No games, DVD's, blu-rays. Basically bricked. Sony couldn't care less. Basically told me to suck it up and go buy a new one.

At least Microsoft had the balls to own up to their mistake and repair my console for free when it was their problem AND they throw me a couple of games to sweeten the deal.

Nicko2580
Exact same thing happened to me. I will never buy a Sony anything in my life again.
branketra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 branketra

Vari3ty
The thing is, the Dual Shock is considered the best controller ever made (specifically the dual shock 2). Although, some people argue that the Saturn's controller is ergonomically superior, I think the DS2 is king. The Dual Shock 3's main issue is its triggers aren't as good as the Xbox 360's and the buttons could be improved, comfort-wise. I would like something new, but as the saying goes, "if it ain't broke, don't fix it."
Nicko2580

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Nicko2580

[QUOTE="Vari3ty"]

BranKetra

The thing is, the Dual Shock is considered the best controller ever made (specifically the dual shock 2). Although, some people argue that the Saturn's controller is ergonomically superior, I think the DS2 is king. The Dual Shock 3's main issue is its triggers aren't as good as the Xbox 360's and the buttons could be improved, comfort-wise. I would like something new, but as the saying goes, "if it ain't broke, don't fix it."

I've owned a lot of consoles and I have to say that for me, the Dual-Shock is remarkably uncomfortable compare to the 360's controller. It's too thin and slim, making the buttons uncomfortable. The analog sticks themselves are annoying to use because the tops are convex.

The 360 control fits my hand better, it's fatter and more comfortable... and yes, the triggers are much better. The buttons also feel better to press. I like buttons which noticeably depress and 'click' when you press them.

It all really comes down to personal opinions though. I loved the PS2 over the original Xbox, but these days Xbox is leaps and bounds ahead of PlayStation as far as I am concerned.

branketra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 branketra

[QUOTE="BranKetra"][QUOTE="Vari3ty"]

Nicko2580

I've owned a lot of consoles and I have to say that for me, the Dual-Shock is remarkably uncomfortable compare to the 360's controller. It's too thin and slim, making the buttons uncomfortable. The analog sticks themselves are annoying to use because the tops are convex.

The 360 control fits my hand better, it's fatter and more comfortable... and yes, the triggers are much better. The buttons also feel better to press. I like buttons which noticeably depress and 'click' when you press them.

It all really comes down to personal opinions though. I loved the PS2 over the original Xbox, but these days Xbox is leaps and bounds ahead of PlayStation as far as I am concerned.

You might be right. It's been quite a while since I had or played a 360, but the controllers are very comfortable and they are definitely better than the Sixaxis was.
D3s7rUc71oN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 D3s7rUc71oN
Member since 2004 • 5180 Posts

[QUOTE="Nicko2580"]

GodModeEnabled

Exact same thing happened to me. I will never buy a Sony anything in my life again.

Wow this happened to me as well after downloading that update. I was pretty certain back then that it wasn't my fault and it was because of that update. I've read on other forums and a lot of people have this happened to them as well. Sony got away with this sh^t , but karma is a b^tch isn't it? ;)

SoNin360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 328

User Lists: 3

#33 SoNin360
Member since 2008 • 7175 Posts
Rumors make me sad.
CarnageHeart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 CarnageHeart
Member since 2002 • 18316 Posts

[QUOTE="GodModeEnabled"][QUOTE="Nicko2580"]

D3s7rUc71oN

Wow this happened to me as well after downloading that update. I was pretty certain back then that it wasn't my fault and it was because of that update. I've read on other forums and a lot of people have this happened to them as well. Sony got away with this sh^t , but karma is a b^tch isn't it? ;)

I respect that position but mine is a little less extreme. My X360 RRoD on me (which MS covered) and the $100 wireless adapter died (which it didn't) but while MS won't be saying any more of my money this generation, next gen after a year or three I might pick up the X720 provided that its clear it doesn't have the same problems its predecessor suffered from.

Anyway, a PS4 in 2013 is fine by me. Sony seems to be the only first party which doesn't believe in just leaning on a handful of safe franchises. Safe doesn't mean bad but man I would have stopped gaming a decade or more ago if the industry deciding to stop trying to suprise me and just focus on giving me things they knew I (and others) liked.

Avatar image for Shame-usBlackley
Shame-usBlackley

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Shame-usBlackley
Member since 2002 • 18266 Posts

[QUOTE="D3s7rUc71oN"]

[QUOTE="GodModeEnabled"] Exact same thing happened to me. I will never buy a Sony anything in my life again.CarnageHeart

I respect that position but mine is a little less extreme. My X360 RRoD on me (which MS covered) and the $100 wireless adapter died (which it didn't) but while MS won't be saying any more of my money this generation, next gen after a year or three I might pick up the X720 provided that its clear it doesn't have the same problems its predecessor suffered from.

Anyway, a PS4 in 2013 is fine by me. Sony seems to be the only first party which doesn't believe in just leaning on a handful of safe franchises. Safe doesn't mean bad but man I would have stopped gaming a decade or more ago if the industry deciding to stop trying to suprise me and just focus on giving me things they knew I (and others) liked.

Yeah, I've long said that there was no goddamn way I'd buy another Xbox product at launch, and that's back when I planned on buying one.

lloveLamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 lloveLamp
Member since 2009 • 2891 Posts
yes. gief new console plx. uncharted 4 launch title. microsoft chapter 11
Megavideogamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#37 Megavideogamer
Member since 2004 • 6554 Posts

December 3rd 2013 is my guess when Playstation 4 "Orbis" hits store shelves. Sony hopefully will keep the cost at $400.00. "Orbis" ditching the Cell processor will be a good thing if the developers can have a easier job of programing for the PS4.

Nicko2580

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Nicko2580

To be fair, if Sony had done something, anything... even just offered to take a look at my console I would have been happier. It was their completely dismissive, "We don't care, go shove it." attitude that did it for me and that was after speaking to a few people including a supervisor.

If they want to treat their customers like that then they'll soon find they don't have as many customers as they'd like.

My original Xbox 360 RRoD'd 3 times. THREE! but every time they fixed it no problem, quickly and gave me games and Xbox Live subscriptions to make up for it. As a result I bought the new Xbox slim as soon as it came out, continue my subscription with Xbox live, and love their products/services.

Customer service makes a big, big difference. At least to me.

Shinobi120

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Shinobi120
Member since 2004 • 5728 Posts

To be fair, if Sony had done something, anything... even just offered to take a look at my console I would have been happier. It was their completely dismissive, "We don't care, go shove it" attitude that did it for me and that was after speaking to a few people including a supervisor.

If they want to treat their customers like that then they'll soon find they don't have as many customers as they'd like.

My original Xbox 360 RRoD'd 3 times. THREE! but every time they fixed it no problem, quickly and gave me games and Xbox Live subscriptions to make up for it. As a result I bought the new Xbox slim as soon as it came out, continue my subscription with Xbox live, and love their products/services.

Customer service makes a big, big difference. At least to me.

Nicko2580

I agree. I first got a PS3 long ago, but then, I sold it because I needed the money & that it had a few similar problems that I experienced of what you wrote. Later on, since then, I bought myself a Xbox 360 (the S model) along with games for the machine, & I'm having a blast with it.

I'm going to most likely buy a Wii U & a Xbox 720 next gen. Screw Sony.