Play a few games multiple times, or Never Play More Than Twice Kind of Person?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for wookieeassassin
wookieeassassin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 wookieeassassin
Member since 2006 • 1678 Posts

Are you a person that has a 3-5 games and just plays them over and over again, or are you the person that plays through a game once or twice before it isn't interesting anymore and then moves on to something else?

I think I'm probably the "play a game a couple times" kind of person. If I play a game, the driving force most of the time is beating the game. Once I finish a game, it isn't likely that I'll play it again, unless it is a few years later. I'd say that a decent proportion of the enjoyment I get from a game comes from finishing it, or in the case of a game like Wii Sports, getting so good that it isn't entertaining anymore. I almost feel like I get too focused on "beating the game" and sometimes make it into a chore instead of actually enjoying, you know, the gameplay. Does this happen to anyone else, or did it used to?

When I was younger, I played my Genesis, Saturn and N64 games over and over again and I can't recall thinking about beating the game all that much, I'd just play them.

Ripcurl530

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#2 Ripcurl530
Member since 2007 • 649 Posts
I know how you feel. Even with really great games, I start looking forward to the end about half way through. The story is the main draw for me for most games, so once it's over, I'll put the game down. I sometimes go back and play certain games over because they're great experiences. For example, Uncharted 1 and 2, MGS1, Metroid Prime, Zelda: Wind Waker... But I do get bored if I'm playing the same game for too long. I think going back is hard because most games are designed so that there is a power progression for the player. Leveling up, new items and weapons and faster cars are all thrown at the player along with more difficult challenges so that by the end, the beginning stages seem easy or mundane in comparison. For the games I mentioned above though, the story and atmosphere can always hook me once I start playing again.
Wolfetan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Wolfetan
Member since 2010 • 7522 Posts

I constantly replay my games, and they go on for a while. Batman took me 6 months to complete for a second time. It depends what I want to play that day.

Half of my games are replayed, but only around 5 or 6 are 3 more times.

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#4 lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44641 Posts
I will often replay my games, less likely to do so right away if it's a really long game.
Avatar image for deactivated-5b2b34c3a42a1
deactivated-5b2b34c3a42a1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 deactivated-5b2b34c3a42a1
Member since 2009 • 2436 Posts

I don't replay games unless theirs an achievement which I find to be a fun goal to go for. Although I might replay a game for no reason if it has like choices or something to make in the game but there aren't really any games on the Wii that do that, and the 360 has achievements for the game.

jasonharris48

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 jasonharris48
Member since 2006 • 21441 Posts

Depends on the game. For example I enjoyed Gears 1,2 to some extent but I only was only able to them once. On the other hand I have 45 hrs in Alan Wake.

wookieeassassin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 wookieeassassin

Alan Wake? That seems like one game you wouldn't replay for sure, unless you're getting all the pages to the novel that is. One game recently that I've been actually been able to play parts over again and still enjoy them is Metal Gear Solid 4, but that is because most parts in the game can be approached many, many different ways.

dkdk999

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 dkdk999
Member since 2007 • 6754 Posts
the only game I've enjoyed multiple times is mass effect 1&2.
Kage1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Kage1
Member since 2003 • 6806 Posts

Most of my games I've played multiple times. The ones I enjoy the most. Like games in the Ace Combat series I can play forever.

Vyse_Legends

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Vyse_Legends
Member since 2007 • 9387 Posts

If it's something that takes a long time beat like a JRPG I typically only play it once unless I really love it(Skies of Arcadia has been beaten like 5 times:P).

But usually I replay most of my games if I feel like I want to "reexperience" that old magic it had.:P

Krustbox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Krustbox
Member since 2009 • 190 Posts

The answer to this quesiton depends fully on the replay value of the game. Super Nintendo has a ton of games that i love to play over and over. I think many nintendo games are like this. They are very unique and addicting.

Beard_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Beard_
Member since 2010 • 1066 Posts

I replay most games I get at least 2-3 times. Those that I considerably like usually get 5+ playthroughs. Eventually I get bored of a game, but after a few months I'll usually go back to it again occasionally.

MrSolvo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 MrSolvo
Member since 2011 • 101 Posts
It depends on the game. If I really enjoyed it, I usually start right back over again. I've beaten a lot of games in my library like 2-3 times, sometimes even more. Especially RPG games like Fallout 3 where you can make good or evil choices, or choose how you want to play the game. I can play games like that over and over and still not work out all the possibilities.
Treflis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Treflis
Member since 2004 • 13757 Posts
I replay basically all my games, There are days I'll look at the shelf, notice a old game and think " Hmm..That would be fun to play again" Am currently doing that with Transport Tycoon and Sim City 2000
321orez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 321orez
Member since 2010 • 83 Posts
have 25ish games total and I play all of em year round. The only games that I'm less likely to play are games like LittleBig Planet, cause I have the sequel, and racing games, cause they're usually outdated in a year
jasonharris48

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 jasonharris48
Member since 2006 • 21441 Posts

Alan Wake? That seems like one game you wouldn't replay for sure, unless you're getting all the pages to the novel that is. One game recently that I've been actually been able to play parts over again and still enjoy them is Metal Gear Solid 4, but that is because most parts in the game can be approached many, many different ways.

wookieeassassin

actually didn't bother find all the pages or any of the achivements for the most part. I just really enjoy the game.

musicXpirate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 musicXpirate
Member since 2005 • 3040 Posts

Yea same here except multiplayer is usually what keeps me coming back every day.

GojiMaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 GojiMaster
Member since 2009 • 451 Posts

The only games I play multiple times are sports games, casual games (like Just Dance, You don't know Jack, and Buzz), educational games (like Brain Age), some platflormers (New Super Mario Bros Wii), some fighting games (Streetfighter and Soul Calibur series) and excellent online multiplayer games (Halo Reach, MW, and Black Ops).

I honestly get bored with most story games and can only slog through them once. If I truly want a good story I would much rather read a book.

Smug_Duckling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Smug_Duckling
Member since 2011 • 333 Posts
I almost never play through the games I think are just so-so. If a game truly captivates me, either with the game engine or story I will return and play it over again.
ssmoogle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#20 ssmoogle
Member since 2007 • 27 Posts

In general, I don't like to replay games, but that's mostly because my game time in any given week is very limited. I would feel guilty spending time on a game I had already beaten when I have plenty of unplayed games. I mostly play platformers and RPGs, and I'm definately more likely to replay platformers than RPGs if I get in the mood.

When I was a kid / teenager, though, I played most of my games over and over again.

TheOtherTheoG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 TheOtherTheoG
Member since 2010 • 2287 Posts
Unless the game is very good, I am unlikely to play a game more than once, same for films, same for books. The only games Ive played through multiple times are Half-Life 1 and 2, Portal, Bioshock and Mass Effect 2
Avatar image for deactivated-5b2b34c3a42a1
deactivated-5b2b34c3a42a1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 deactivated-5b2b34c3a42a1
Member since 2009 • 2436 Posts

Unless the game is very good, I am unlikely to play a game more than once, same for films, same for books. The only games Ive played through multiple times are Half-Life 1 and 2, Portal, Bioshock and Mass Effect 2TheOtherTheoG

Actually Portal is one game I replayed for fun.

But that brings up another point: The length of the game. To me the length of a game is very important when replaying,and portal is a nice and short game.

Avatar image for Raymundo_Manuel
Raymundo_Manuel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Raymundo_Manuel
Member since 2010 • 4641 Posts

Many years ago I would play my games many times. Beating it wasn't the most enjoyable part.

I must have beaten Banjo Kazooie a billion times, Super Mario RPG about a trillion times, and the Ravenholm level in HL2 about a zillion times :P

But I don't do that anymore, and I think I know the root cause. I have TOO MANY GAMES now thanks to those Steam sales. It's been a good thing, and a bad thing.

It's good because I certainly have more games than I know what to do with

But

It's bad because I beat a game, and in the back of my mind I'm thinking "Ok I really need to widdle down this backlog" so instead of fully enjoying my games I just enjoy a single playthrough, and move on.

So one of my new years resolutions is to not buy any games, and try to beat all my single player games. The hardest part was to stop playing League of Legends, and TF2 which I found myself playing whenever I was bored. I haven't turned either game on in weeks, and was able to beat Batman: AA, and GTA IV so far :) Now I'm working on Overlord: Raising Hell.

I have probably 50-60 more Steam games that can be beaten :P This doesn't include a few standalone games I have like Vampire Bloodlines, and Mass Effect, nor does it include another 100 or so games from many old systems ranging from the NES to the Gamecube...

Basically it'll take years :(

Jackc8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#24 Jackc8
Member since 2007 • 8515 Posts

If it's a lousy game I'll play it for an hour and quit.

If it's a good game I'll play it all the way through and enjoy it.

If it's a great game I may play it several times in order to platinum it.

mrmusicman247

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 mrmusicman247
Member since 2008 • 17601 Posts
I'm the kind of guy who has more than 10 games and plays them over and over again. I never sell any of my games unless I absolutely need to.
RK-Mara

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#26 RK-Mara
Member since 2006 • 11489 Posts
I rarely play through a game more than once. I'm always looking for a new and fresh experience.
wookieeassassin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 wookieeassassin

If I had an infinite amount of time I'd probably replay games more often. Now though I feel like I should play a new game after finishing each one because I have so many that I want to play (including about 15 that I own that I haven't played). The only problem is that sometimes I get into the "beat the game" mindset and may not enjoy the game as much as if I were "just playing it". Same thing happens with movies for me too.

LustForSoul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 LustForSoul
Member since 2011 • 6404 Posts
If it is a mediocre story mode I'll play it again for achievements, if it's really long it's only one playthrough. I always move on, need to have more variety in gaming.
lpjazzman220

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#29 lpjazzman220
Member since 2008 • 2249 Posts

there are a few games ive played to death (kotor, kotor 2, baldurs gate series, neverwinter nights 1&2) but there are some games that i just cant bring myself to finish...yet alone play them again...

alanthreonus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 alanthreonus
Member since 2008 • 153 Posts

When I was young I would play the same games over and over again, but now that I actually have money to buy new games, I don't often play the same one twice.

JustPlainLucas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 226

#31 JustPlainLucas
Member since 2002 • 80441 Posts
It depends on much I really love it. I'll give it another spin, and if I feel I have time, I'll give it one more playthrough. But I have a massive backlog that I'm trying to whittle down, so pretty much press on to the next game.
ajkalan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 ajkalan
Member since 2004 • 399 Posts

Unless the price is very low (such as during Steam holiday sales) or the game does not have a narrative "end" point (such as fighting games), I will not buy a game unless I am reasonably confident that I will replay it multiple times. Sometimes that isn't the case and the game gets completed once, if at all, but I try my best to wring every last drop of entertainment I can out of my purchases. Granted, it almost makes me sick to think of all the time I spent playing Chrono Trigger and Persona 3/4 (usually when I'm considering playing those games yet again!), but it mostly works for me, and has saved me a little money to boot.

Darksiders666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#33 Darksiders666
Member since 2011 • 272 Posts
I've completed Mass Effect three times and Mass Effect 2 six times.
SapSacPrime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 SapSacPrime
Member since 2004 • 8925 Posts

I play multiple times if I like the game even if it is a big one, if I didn't enjoy it I won't force myself through it again for any reason though.

Bassmanfunk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Bassmanfunk
Member since 2010 • 124 Posts

I do both. It really depends on the game. Games like Borderlands, Black Ops, Dragon Age, Oblivion, Masseffect 1 and 2, Fable II and III, Halo 3 and Reach I have played multiple times. But there are several others that I really enjoyed that I only played through once or twice and I was done. Examples of these would be : Modern Warfare 2, FFXIII(still working on) God of War III, Red Dead, Sacred 2, Resistance FOM and 2. Anyone else do both?

cprmauldin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#36 cprmauldin
Member since 2009 • 1567 Posts

I'm a huge RPG fan, so replaying/ exploring post-campaign content is must. However, replaying games does not prevent me from starting up new ones.

sambo2011

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#37 sambo2011
Member since 2006 • 411 Posts

I play a game then will get a new one, after I have played the other game for a quite a few times and the addiction of the game has worn off. But I will go back to a game at some point if i'm ever in the mood for playing that game.