PC No longer the benchmark for Graphics?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

PresidentLogan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 PresidentLogan
Member since 2007 • 267 Posts

Before I insult the PC platform please let me explain.

I knew my PS2 and Xbox graphical keepy uppy with the PC was over around the time Condemned: Crminal Origins was on the horizon along with Oblivion were announced/shown for the first time. The PS2 and Xbox could not get anywhere near these level of graphics. I know there may be other PC games before those but personally those were the ones for me that said graphical powerhadgone well beyond whatthat console generation could handle.

My questions is, bar Crysis (which is a two year old PC game) are there any PC games on the horizon that willl show the next evolution of graphical power that current consoles cannot even dream of getting close to (like Oblivion and condemned did to the Xbox and PS2).

I only ask beacause I hear rumours of the PS4 and xbox720 (whatever there names will be) maybe beng announced next year or the year after but I am unsure as I have yet to see any PC games announced that looks to take us kicking and screaming in to the next grapical era which is when you can expect yoiur next crop of consoles to be announced or on the way

Please be aware not to note ganes that although will look graphically superior on the PC could still be done on consoles on a lower resolution or with slightly less finesse.

Thanks

Avatar image for call_of_duty_10
call_of_duty_10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 call_of_duty_10
Member since 2009 • 4954 Posts

Metro 2033,ARMA II,Empire:Total War

meteo_ryte

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

#3 meteo_ryte
Member since 2005 • 1962 Posts
Consoles are becoming more and more just PCs dedicated to video games, and then some. I think it's beginning to level out. For instance, isn't a 360 really just a PC with a different user interface and less apps?
Daavpuke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 50

#4 Daavpuke
Member since 2009 • 13771 Posts
Crysis II :P?
CarnageHeart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 CarnageHeart
Member since 2002 • 18316 Posts
From a tech perspective, PCs always have and always will have an advantage over consoles (the gap narrows when a new console is released, but widens as years pass and consoles age and stay the same while PCs get new hardware) but nowadays due to the high cost of game development and the small numbers of gamers with cutting edge PCs, few are willing to spend the money and time it would take to push PCs to their limits. Everyone talks about Crysis, but precious few bought it in part because so few could run it. By way of contrast more technically undemanding games (the latest being Starcraft 2) have done quite well on PCs.
XaosII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 XaosII
Member since 2003 • 16705 Posts

http://www.gametrailers.com/video/exclusive-gameplay-shogun-2/702267

AdrianWerner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#7 AdrianWerner
Member since 2003 • 28441 Posts

We barely see improvements in FPS genre, but others are doing fine. Nowadays it's strategy that's delivering the most impressive graphics and annual improvements in visual fidelity. Games like Empire:TW/Nepoleon on Settlers 7 are beyond anything current consoles could run and Shogun 2 is seriously a game would feel at home on PS4 graphicaly

Ncsoftlover

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#8 Ncsoftlover
Member since 2007 • 2152 Posts

Shogun 2 Total War

Brendissimo35

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 1

#9 Brendissimo35
Member since 2005 • 1934 Posts

empire TW shogun TW, Metro 2033, Mafia II, Crysis 2, and a slew of other DX11 games.

rastaman219

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 rastaman219
Member since 2006 • 3032 Posts
Even if not totally graphically, the scale alone blows Consoles into then out the other side of the water.
rragnaar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#11 rragnaar
Member since 2005 • 27023 Posts
Considering that this is essentially a consoles vs PC type thread, it is better suited to System Wars.