Panzer Dragoon Saga: is it worth $200?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Shenmue_Jehuty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 0

#1 Shenmue_Jehuty
Member since 2007 • 5211 Posts

I've heard that this game is absolutely a must own if you have a Saturn. However, most don't own it because of how valuable this game is. The cheapest I have seen this game for was $150 on Ebay, unless you get the japanese version, which is considerably less. But since my japanese is mediocre at best, I am forced to pay out the teeth for this game if I ever wanted to play it. Of those who have either played Panzer Dragoon Saga or own it, does it justify its steep price? I know it's a great game, but is it THAT great?

Darkman2007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

#2 Darkman2007
Member since 2007 • 17926 Posts

well, people are right for saying its a must have, it is one of the best RPGs of that generation.

as for the price, it seems like the US version is more expensive then the PAL version, I wouldnt pay 200 dollars for it and wait.

alternatively, if you can get the PAL version for cheaper, go for it.

hakanakumono

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 hakanakumono
Member since 2008 • 27455 Posts

Honestly, no. I feel happy with the $30 I paid for the game in Japanese. But I wouldn't pay more than $50.

Darkman2007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Darkman2007

Honestly, no. I feel happy with the $30 I paid for the game in Japanese. But I wouldn't pay more than $50.

hakanakumono
that is also true, there is a script online you can use to play the Japanese version. I personally have the PAL version , which would actually work perfect on an NTSC Saturn due to it not being optimized at all.
TheKungFool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 28

#5 TheKungFool
Member since 2006 • 5384 Posts

I personally have the PAL version , which would actually work perfect on an NTSC Saturn due to it not being optimized at all.Darkman2007

Can you explain that a little further Darkman?Sorry to ask what may seem a stupid question, but are PAL saturn games playable on a north american saturn without any hassles?

I've always stuck to NTSC copies of games purely due to langauge issues, but are you saying that a PAL or UK version of a game can be just popped into an NTSC Saturn and run fine?

Shenmue_Jehuty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Shenmue_Jehuty
Member since 2007 • 5211 Posts

[QUOTE="Darkman2007"]

I personally have the PAL version , which would actually work perfect on an NTSC Saturn due to it not being optimized at all.TheKungFool

Can you explain that a little further Darkman?Sorry to ask what may seem a stupid question, but are PAL saturn games playable on a north american saturn without any hassles?

I've always stuck to NTSC copies of games purely due to langauge issues, but are you saying that a PAL or UK version of a game can be just popped into an NTSC Saturn and run fine?

To play a PAL region game you have a to have a PAL region console. The only way to get around this is if you have a moded system which can be risky, however it would still be cheaper then getting the American version of this game.

AcidSoldner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 AcidSoldner
Member since 2007 • 7051 Posts

[QUOTE="TheKungFool"]

[QUOTE="Darkman2007"]

I personally have the PAL version , which would actually work perfect on an NTSC Saturn due to it not being optimized at all.Shenmue_Jehuty

To play a PAL region game you have a to have a PAL region console. The only way to get around this is if you have a moded system which can be risky, however it would still be cheaper then getting the American version of this game.

You don't need to mod the Saturn to play games from other regions, you just need a cart like an Action Replay that bypasses the region lock. It's legal and you don't have to mess with your Saturn.
Darkman2007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Darkman2007

[QUOTE="Darkman2007"]

I personally have the PAL version , which would actually work perfect on an NTSC Saturn due to it not being optimized at all.TheKungFool

well, if youre aware of the difference between 50 and 60hz, you would know that the TV systems are not compatible. however, alot of games that are released here are not optimized, which basically means our games run 17% slower and have borders on the top and bottom. what this means though is that games like these (unless they were optimized) , will work fine on an NTSC system. there is a list online on www.segasaturn.co.uk , where they have a complete list of all PAL Saturn games, and highlight the ones which were optimized. now besides that you would need to get around the region lock , but I assume you know how.
Darkman2007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Darkman2007
[QUOTE="Shenmue_Jehuty"]

[QUOTE="TheKungFool"]

AcidSoldner

You don't need to mod the Saturn to play games from other regions, you just need a cart like an Action Replay that bypasses the region lock. It's legal and you don't have to mess with your Saturn.

I will say that with Panzer Dragoon Saga, the game will actually recognise that there is an action replay and refuse to play. there is a way around this though , in the form of codes you put into the action replay as cheats, but really all they do is get past the region locking.
Avatar image for deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
deactivated-57ad0e5285d73

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
Member since 2009 • 21398 Posts

Honestly the game doesn't hold up as well as people tend to argue. I get the feeling most that hold the game in such high regard have not even played the game, but only read about it. I can deal with older gen 3D when it is done well--mario 64, tekken 3, twisted metal 2--but PDS just looks very garbled. It reminds me of watching a bluray, and then going back and watching FMV on teh Sega CD.

Darkman2007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Darkman2007

Honestly the game doesn't hold up as well as people tend to argue. I get the feeling most that hold the game in such high regard have not even played the game, but only read about it. I can deal with older gen 3D when it is done well--mario 64, tekken 3, twisted metal 2--but PDS just looks very garbled. It reminds me of watching a bluray, and then going back and watching FMV on teh Sega CD.

Heirren
considering there really werent many full 3D RPGs in early 1998, I think PDS looks just fine for when it was released. and I did play the game, and I give it top marks , the only real flaw is that its short, and can be finished in 20 hours, a bit more if you explore and do side quests.
Avatar image for deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
deactivated-57ad0e5285d73

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
Member since 2009 • 21398 Posts

I think PDS looks just fine for when it was released.Darkman2007

Key statement. The game just doesn't hold up as well. I still play Twisted Metal 2 to this day. Mario 64 still looks just fine. PDS, imo, just tried to do too much with the system. I don't know if you've ever played Starfox 2 on the snes, but I get the same feeling from that game.

G-Lord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 G-Lord
Member since 2004 • 2141 Posts

The graphics might not hold up too well, but the gameplay and the soundtrack do. I first played through this game not too long ago, and enjoyed it very much thanks to the fact that the game is still quite unique.

Darkman2007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Darkman2007

[QUOTE="Darkman2007"] I think PDS looks just fine for when it was released.Heirren

Key statement. The game just doesn't hold up as well. I still play Twisted Metal 2 to this day. Mario 64 still looks just fine. PDS, imo, just tried to do too much with the system. I don't know if you've ever played Starfox 2 on the snes, but I get the same feeling from that game.

Panzer Saga isnt really pushing the Saturn , there are games that I feel push it just as much if not more. the only big issue for PDS visually, is that it tried to use the same engine used for PDZwei , which doesnt always work for all the situations in the game
pills4louis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 pills4louis
Member since 2011 • 1331 Posts

You could likely get around the 50hz dilemma if you're using a HDTV, or anything but an old-style tube TV. As for the game being worth $200: YES, though if you can get the PAL version and an Action Replay or ST-Key cart to play it, then go for it. Same game, just a noticeably lower framerate.

Darkman2007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Darkman2007

You could likely get around the 50hz dilemma if you're using a HDTV, or anything but an old-style tube TV. As for the game being worth $200: YES, though if you can get the PAL version and an Action Replay or ST-Key cart to play it, then go for it. Same game, just a noticeably lower framerate.

pills4louis
actually playing the game on an NTSC machine will be fine at full speed since the game was never optimized for PAL. if the game was optimized it wouldnt look right
nameless12345

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 nameless12345
Member since 2010 • 15125 Posts

I've seen some rare Jaguar game sell for an insane amount of money.

Not worth it unless you bathe in money or really want it but can't get it otherwise.

pills4louis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 pills4louis

Not worth it unless you bathe in money or really want it but can't get it otherwise.

nameless12345

...Do you not have a job or something?

Darkman2007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Darkman2007

[QUOTE="nameless12345"]

pills4louis

well to be fair, 200 dollars is alot to spend on a game, even if its a fantastic one.

I would tell people to get the PAL version which is cheaper, or even the JP version with a script which costs even less (you can get it for no more then £20)

nameless12345

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 nameless12345
Member since 2010 • 15125 Posts

[QUOTE="nameless12345"]

pills4louis

What does that have to do with what I said?

I just think no game is worth that much money.

I'm a student fyi.

AcidSoldner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 AcidSoldner
Member since 2007 • 7051 Posts

[QUOTE="nameless12345"]

pills4louis

Oh, do you bathe in money? If so please purchase everyone in this thread a copy of Panzer Dragoon Saga NTSC. The rest of us will get back to our lives with bills and other expenses.
Darkman2007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Darkman2007

[QUOTE="pills4louis"]

[QUOTE="nameless12345"]

AcidSoldner

Oh, do you bathe in money? If so please purchase everyone in this thread a copy of Panzer Dragoon Saga NTSC. The rest of us will get back to our lives with bills and other expenses.

or attempt to look for a rare good deal on the game, like I did.

I paid £60 for it , PAL version , but that was years ago , and it seems the price has gone up somewhat.

pills4louis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 pills4louis

[QUOTE="pills4louis"]

[QUOTE="nameless12345"]

AcidSoldner

I can take care of bills and still afford $100 worth in video game-related expenses a month. Not having a paper hat job helps.

DavidianMH

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 DavidianMH
Member since 2011 • 1458 Posts
No game is worth 200$ in my opinion. PDZ is a great game, but I would never spend that amount of money on it.
skooks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 skooks
Member since 2006 • 1411 Posts

[QUOTE="AcidSoldner"][QUOTE="pills4louis"]...Do you not have a job or something?

pills4louis

I can take care of bills and still afford $100 worth in video game-related expenses a month. Not having a paper hat job helps.

Well good for you, but dropping $100 on one game is a little excessive to some people.
Darkman2007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Darkman2007
[QUOTE="pills4louis"]

[QUOTE="AcidSoldner"] Oh, do you bathe in money? If so please purchase everyone in this thread a copy of Panzer Dragoon Saga NTSC. The rest of us will get back to our lives with bills and other expenses.skooks

Well good for you, but dropping $100 on one game is a little excessive to some people.

the only thing that bugs me sometimes is that the same people will gladly recommend spendig even more for games like Earthbound while telling people to avoid PDS (and the Saturn) because its "expensive" (when in fact, the Saturn isnt)
skooks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 skooks
Member since 2006 • 1411 Posts

[QUOTE="skooks"][QUOTE="pills4louis"]I can take care of bills and still afford $100 worth in video game-related expenses a month. Not having a paper hat job helps.

Darkman2007

the only thing that bugs me sometimes is that the same people will gladly recommend spendig even more for games like Earthbound while telling people to avoid PDS (and the Saturn) because its "expensive" (when in fact, the Saturn isnt)

I know what you mean. I guess it depends as much on its worth to the individual as much as its releative worth within the collecting world.

betamon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 betamon
Member since 2006 • 306 Posts

I had both 1 and 2 for the Saturn, and they were great games; however, there's no way I could ever justify paying that much unless you're a collector. I'd never pay that much just because I wanted to play the games again, because they just aren't worth that price.

Allicrombie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

#29 Allicrombie
Member since 2005 • 26223 Posts
I've never payed that much for a game. Some collectors editions have run me 100-150 though.
hakanakumono

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 hakanakumono

There are actually games I'd pay that much to own. Pretty much any Xenogears or Xenosaga game if they were otherwise unavailable. It may seem excessive, but there's nothing of that calibur (in my opinion) being released out of Japan right now.

I do want to reiterate that it is a great game and oen fo the best on the Saturn. It is true that the 3D can look kind of strange at times and it tends to be overrated (especially in the graphics department, including FMV). But at the same time it has pretty unique, good gameplay. I think it holds a lot of merit in it being a unique experience with fun battles. There's also the story component, but I have a harder time following it (although I have read the story online).

Bubble_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#31 Bubble_Man
Member since 2006 • 3100 Posts

I bought the Japanese versions of rare Saturn games because of the massive price difference. Too bad my Japanese is at the elementary level and it'll still be a few years of studying before I can really play and understand them.

Darkman2007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Darkman2007

There are actually games I'd pay that much to own. Pretty much any Xenogears or Xenosaga game if they were otherwise unavailable. It may seem excessive, but there's nothing of that calibur (in my opinion) being released out of Japan right now.

I do want to reiterate that it is a great game and oen fo the best on the Saturn. It is true that the 3D can look kind of strange at times and it tends to be overrated (especially in the graphics department, including FMV). But at the same time it has pretty unique, good gameplay. I think it holds a lot of merit in it being a unique experience with fun battles. There's also the story component, but I have a harder time following it (although I have read the story online).

hakanakumono
I find most flaws in the visuals to be forgivable on the basis that in early 1998 , there really weren't too many fully 3D RPGs, mostly just hybrid ones the issue is that they used the exact same engine they used for Panzer Zwei , which isnt as suited to an RPG enviroment as it should though I will agree its not the best looking 3D game on the Saturn.
hakanakumono

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 hakanakumono

[QUOTE="hakanakumono"]

Darkman2007

I find most flaws in the visuals to be forgivable on the basis that in early 1998 , there really weren't too many fully 3D RPGs, mostly just hybrid ones the issue is that they used the exact same engine they used for Panzer Zwei , which isnt as suited to an RPG enviroment as it should though I will agree its not the best looking 3D game on the Saturn.

That's true, other games got away with having 2D backgrounds with 3D characters or 3D characters with 2D backgrounds, but generally not both. I think the game looked pretty good in the larger environments, but in the smaller environments, like the town ... it didn't look great.

Darkman2007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Darkman2007

[QUOTE="Darkman2007"][QUOTE="hakanakumono"]

hakanakumono

That's true, other games got away with having 2D backgrounds with 3D characters or 3D characters with 2D backgrounds, but generally not both. I think the game looked pretty good in the larger environments, but in the smaller environments, like the town ... it didn't look great.

mainly because this is where the Panzer Zwei engine looked worse, when youre not moving at very fast speeds. if you had to ask me what is the best looking 3D game on the Saturn , I would have said Burning Rangers is a contender, but there are others.
hakanakumono

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 hakanakumono

I think overall, Grandia is the best looking game I've played on the Saturn. No, it's not particularly advanced. But everything it does, it does well. It's just very well rounded visually.

Darkman2007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Darkman2007

I think overall, Grandia is the best looking game I've played on the Saturn. No, it's not particularly advanced. But everything it does, it does well. It's just very well rounded visually.

hakanakumono
thats also true, though funny enough there were reviews of the PS1 version which said the game ugly, not really sure why, though they still said its better then the original (a fact I highly dispute, just like alot of things they say)
hakanakumono

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 hakanakumono

[QUOTE="hakanakumono"]

Darkman2007

thats also true, though funny enough there were reviews of the PS1 version which said the game ugly, not really sure why, though they still said its better then the original (a fact I highly dispute, just like alot of things they say)

I think the biggest difference between the games is probably the transparencies on the PS1 ver, which make a big difference in how battles look. Overall, I might give the edge to the PS1 ver because of this, although I'm perfectly happy with my Saturn ver that I own.

Darkman2007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Darkman2007

[QUOTE="Darkman2007"][QUOTE="hakanakumono"]

hakanakumono

I think the biggest difference between the games is probably the transparencies on the PS1 ver, which make a big difference in how battles look. Overall, I might give the edge to the PS1 ver because of this, although I'm perfectly happy with my Saturn ver that I own.

I find the PS1 version looks washed out , also the sprits are smaller and there are various frame rate issues. games proted from one system to the other usually don't work out as well , hence why most multi platform games were better on the platform the game was originally designed for (which in that gen usually meant PS1)
bultje112

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 bultje112
Member since 2005 • 1868 Posts

this game is definetely worth the 200$ I mean if you buy 3 or 4 brand new games it's same price except those games will be worth less than 10 in one year. saga keeps it's value so if you are low on cash you could always sell it and have played it basically for free. I once made the mistake of selling it and regretting it intensely. I bought it back again and will never sell it again. I've never played a game like it and it has the best stoyrline I've ever seen including movies and books

bultje112

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 bultje112
Member since 2005 • 1868 Posts

hakanakumono

you bought the japanese game which is totally useless inless you speak japanese. the game is all about story