wwervin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 0

#1 wwervin
Member since 2003 • 10274 Posts

I'm mainly talking about FPS games here, but third person games can count too. Technically, any game that uses guns of any sort. One of my pet peeves when watching gameplay videos is the frequent reloading that occurs. It usually goes like this: Fire 2 or 3 shots, reload, fire 2 or 3 more shots, reload. In most games people will reload immediately after killing an enemy. It's become so spastic that it ruins gameplay for me.

And what's worst is that I tend to do it too. Even though I try not to, I often end up reloading unnecessarily frequently and sometimes it ends up killing me in the process. As in I take someone out and while I reload an enemy comes out of the corner and has easy pickings.

It's probably a non-issue for most of you guys but for me it's become a very noticeable annoyance. So I was wondering, would it be too much if shooters started implementing realistic reloading? As in your mags have fixed amounts of bullets in them and reloading too early will waste some of those bullets. It could add a different layer of strategy to the game. You could still reload as frequently as you want, but some of your ammunition will be wasted in the process. Would any of you like to see anything like this in the future? Yay or nay?

xxninja666xx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#2  Edited By xxninja666xx
Member since 2011 • 737 Posts

Nope. When I play an FPS game I often find myself to have one bullet left in a clip. Why would I want to waste this bullet reloading when I can just reload and my bullet count will increase by 29? I know I can just shoot the enemy and reload, but in any FPS that's not "realistic" it's a suicide.

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 Lulu_Lulu
Member since 2013 • 19564 Posts

Gears Of War has the best Reloading....

Avatar image for deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
deactivated-57ad0e5285d73

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
Member since 2009 • 21398 Posts

It would be interesting if there was some kind of skill to reloading. Say you reload just because and you are not empty--you'd waste the rest of the clip. Or, perhaps a quick button combo. Something too add some tension and additional strategy to these games, especially in multiplayer, as I think the former is most certainly lacking in todays games. I sort of miss the Counter Strike aspect of having X amount of deaths and then you watch the rest of the match.

Avatar image for Black_Knight_00
Black_Knight_00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#5  Edited By Black_Knight_00
Member since 2007 • 77 Posts

Compulsive reloading happens because games nowadays are unrealistic as far as damage goes. In CoD4 it took two bullets from any gun to kill a guy at short range, meaning you could afford to keep a half-empty magazine and still be able to take out the whole enemy team with it. In mostly every other game it takes 5-10 bullets to kill, meaning you always have to top off your magazine every time you shoot or you'll be left with your pants down when meeting multiple enemies.

By the way, in real life soldiers don't generally just drop magazines when they reload: they place them back into their pouches. SWAT 4 does this perfectly: you have four magazines represented by four bars and you cycle between them every time you reload.

Avatar image for turtlethetaffer
turtlethetaffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 144

#6 turtlethetaffer
Member since 2009 • 18973 Posts

I think it'd be neat to see a game where you have very limited reloads and have to plan them out according to a mission.

firefox59

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By firefox59
Member since 2005 • 4530 Posts

@Black_Knight_00 said:

Compulsive reloading happens because games nowadays are unrealistic as far as damage goes. In CoD4 it took two bullets from any gun to kill a guy at short range, meaning you could afford to keep a half-empty magazine and still be able to take out the whole enemy team with it. In mostly every other game it takes 5-10 bullets to kill, meaning you always have to top off your magazine every time you shoot or you'll be left with your pants down when meeting multiple enemies.

By the way, in real life soldiers don't generally just drop magazines when they reload: they place them back into their pouches. SWAT 4 does this perfectly: you have four magazines represented by four bars and you cycle between them every time you reload.

I like the swapping between mags idea. Losing bullets when you reload would affect how difficult the developers could make the game. It would affect level design and enemy placement. Making it a resource management type thing would work well for a lot of games I think.

Avatar image for platinumking320
platinumking320

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#9 platinumking320
Member since 2003 • 668 Posts

@wwervin: substitute mechanic for not having the "extra bullet in the chamber" option in games i suppose. Guess over the years we got sick of spraying and praying in multiplayer.

Though it be interesting to have more mechanics that forced players to make single shots count.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#10 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts

You should play Red Orchestra.

Black_Knight_00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Black_Knight_00

@firefox59 said:

I like the swapping between mags idea. Losing bullets when you reload would affect how difficult the developers could make the game. It would affect level design and enemy placement. Making it a resource management type thing would work well for a lot of games I think.

I wanted to see something like that in a hardcore mode in FarCry 3: give the player limited magazines and require him to manually refill them with picked up ammo when he has a quiet moment.

Of course, make the mechanic optional or people will hate it.

Shmiity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#12 Shmiity
Member since 2006 • 6625 Posts

Some games have tried this. I would be very into it if more games did. If you reload, the mag is gone. Or, a cycling system would be cool. ...Rainbow6 Patriots E3? Maybe? Praise the sun?

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Lulu_Lulu
Member since 2013 • 19564 Posts

Well video games are not realistic... They should use a reload system best suited to the type of gameplay they have.....

firefox59

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 firefox59
Member since 2005 • 4530 Posts

@Black_Knight_00 said:

@firefox59 said:

I wanted to see something like that in a hardcore mode in FarCry 3: give the player limited magazines and require him to manually refill them with picked up ammo when he has a quiet moment.

It would work better in an open world environment where you could choose how and when to fight, rather than with a tunnel-like COD game design.

Black_Knight_00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Black_Knight_00

@firefox59 said:

@Black_Knight_00 said:

@firefox59 said:

It would work better in an open world environment where you could choose how and when to fight, rather than with a tunnel-like COD game design.

Exactly, which is why I hoped to see it in FarCry 3

blangenakker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By blangenakker
Member since 2006 • 3240 Posts

Ever seen the game Receiver?