Only game that should be illegal

This topic is locked from further discussion.

zrosen82

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 zrosen82
Member since 2007 • 95 Posts
That one Columbine game is just awful. I think its the only game that should not exist. What do you all think?
TheCrazed420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 TheCrazed420
Member since 2003 • 7661 Posts
I think freedom of expression isn't a selective freedom. What offends one doesn't offend the other. While I agree that its a game done in poor taste, it's still their right to make it. Just avoid it if you dont like it.
someone6669

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#3 someone6669
Member since 2006 • 252 Posts
I am not aware of what this game is. Link please?
Avatar image for lilburtonboy748
lilburtonboy748

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#5 lilburtonboy748
Member since 2007 • 2536 Posts
Haha, i love it. This is where hypocrisy comes into play. Everyone is always whining about free speech, and how much they hate censorship, but then when something comes out that offends them, they freak out and say that it should be censored. There is no such thing as selective free speech because that would be contradictary to the term "free speech". But just to let ya'll know, on a saide not....the founding fathers who made the constitution, had no idea that the world would be like this, and that people would say things that are said today. If they could see into the future, they probably would have a completely different constitution.
musicXpirate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 musicXpirate
Member since 2005 • 3040 Posts
Despite all the tragedy at Columbine, I found the game to be amaing. Expressing the views of the killers put a new side on the story. Great work on that. Now speaking of bad games, Virginia Tech Massacre is far worse than SCMRPG.
pink_floyd123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#8 pink_floyd123
Member since 2006 • 1334 Posts
The idea of a game like that disturbs me and I will stay away from it but all in all they have a right to free speech, and if for whatever reason it does get banned it will just serve as fuel for Jack Thompson and all those other people trying to restrict our freedoms.
majadamus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

#9 majadamus
Member since 2003 • 10292 Posts

No games should be illegal. Even if it serves to promote some extreme view against the government, simulating a tragic event, or anything that would be deemed cruel or horrific. Freedom of speech, it's a right that should never be taken away. If you don't like what you see, don't buy it.

ebbderelict

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 173

#10 ebbderelict
Member since 2005 • 3992 Posts
Where do the proceeds go? I mean, it's a pretty sad money grab, and you can't donate it to organizations out to prevent gun violence, cuz I don't htink they'd take it. I would say it's like making a game about being the leaders of a KKK group, and you get to perform hate crimes, but at the same time, how many WWII games are out there? WWII was and still is a pretty horrific and sad time in our history. Countless people died in very a disturbing environment because of predjudice. Of course, we're not playing as the Nazi's, but it's still a glorification of events that took place. It's easy to say at first thought that making a columbine game is in poor taste, and I'm not disagreeing, however there are lots of games out there about much worse things in our world's history, and much more worse history that no one has yet attempted to profit on. I'm sure they will one day though.
someone6669

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 someone6669
Member since 2006 • 252 Posts

I beleive free speech should have some sort of regulations.

Take this example. What if I create a game called "Kill all jews", where the purpose of the game is to kill as many jews as possible. What would you call this? Would it pass as free speech? In my opinion, it shouldn't, because the message is illegal.

Free speech should be constrainted to only legal messages. They don't have to be about being good and what not, but they can't break the law

thetraitor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#12 thetraitor
Member since 2007 • 207 Posts
free speech sucks
iMuffins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 iMuffins
Member since 2006 • 2514 Posts
if you'd bothered to take the time and play it, you'd find out that its actually quite informative and insightful.
SDog624

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 SDog624
Member since 2003 • 2032 Posts
no one can force the creators to get rid of the game, and no one is forcing you to play it.
Omni-Slash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Omni-Slash
Member since 2003 • 54450 Posts
no game should be illegal...tasteless?....restricted to who can buy it?....sure....but illlegal?...no...
pink_floyd123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#16 pink_floyd123
Member since 2006 • 1334 Posts

Take this example. What if I create a game called "Kill all jews", where the purpose of the game is to kill as many jews as possible. What would you call this? Would it pass as free speech? In my opinion, it shouldn't, because the message is illegal.

Free speech should be constrainted to only legal messages. They don't have to be about being good and what not, but they can't break the law

As someone already pointed out, don't we already have games where the objective is to kill all german soldiers? Heck, we already have games that the objective is to be a terrorist and kill counter-terrorists.

vendettared468

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#17 vendettared468
Member since 2006 • 4437 Posts
just leave it alone if you don't like it. if you think that it should not be popular than don't give it your buisness....buy another game instead. Isn't capitalism great?
TheCrazed420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 TheCrazed420
Member since 2003 • 7661 Posts

someone6669

So who's in charge of deciding what's legal and whats not? Would that person or group not be influenced by the environment and culture they we're raised in? Laws and traditions vary greatly depending on where you are in the world.

zrosen82

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 zrosen82
Member since 2007 • 95 Posts

The idea of a game like that disturbs me and I will stay away from it but all in all they have a right to free speech, and if for whatever reason it does get banned it will just serve as fuel for Jack Thompson and all those other people trying to restrict our freedoms.pink_floyd123

Thats a damn good point

hot114

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#20 hot114
Member since 2003 • 4489 Posts
If people want to invest in a moneysink let them, next time you see that game just /point and /laugh
nopalversion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 nopalversion
Member since 2005 • 4757 Posts

Freedom of speech and expression is one of the most important rights in an organized society. Yes, there are consequences such as poor taste and dubious messages, but we shouldn't let ourselves be baited into accepting censorship. Education and informed parental guidance is all that's needed.