One thing I hate about MMORPG's

This topic is locked from further discussion.

TristanShand

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 TristanShand
Member since 2008 • 1400 Posts

I find it seriously annoying when you played hard building your character up and you take a lot of pride in yourself, kicking arse in battlegrounds, mastering your hotbars and tweaking/customising your character to the right balance. Only to have some dwarf who is 5 levels lower come walking up, knock you down disabling your character for a ridiculous duration and then hit you for an attack which outdamages your damage focus character of superier level!

What i'm getting at here is simply class balance, where the developers favor a certain class or overlook skills which players catch onto and exploit to the maximum. I absoltey hate it! You can't win every fight but when you lose a fight that's simply made impossible because someone presses 1,2,3 on the keyboard and that's all it takes you beat you, it makes me just delete the game and tell it to go **** itself.

Being responsible for class balance in MMORPG's must be a very difficult job, I respect that.

Nifty_Shark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 Nifty_Shark
Member since 2007 • 13137 Posts
I don't like them because.
Termite3030

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Termite3030
Member since 2008 • 56 Posts
I have yet to play an MMORPG, so I can't really criticize them.
e3li7e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 e3li7e
Member since 2008 • 281 Posts

I love MMO games. But I don't really play them anymore. Last one was WoW. But yeah I know the feeling. But I mean they won't ever truly balance classes in MMO games. When they nerf one, they have to nerf another. IMO Hunters are one of the most overpowered classes in WoW. My Hunter and my pet were like a well tuned killing machine. I could easily devour people my lvl and higher. But then you play a priest or a warrior and you feel like such underpowered classes. Then you have to play in groups to benefit.

I understand you gripe, but what fun is a MMO game if everythign in the world is equal? I think it would totally offset the economy and kind of defeat the purpose of classes in general. Every classes has strengths and weakesses. Thats just the way it works and the way it always will be.

_AbBaNdOn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 122

#5 _AbBaNdOn
Member since 2005 • 6518 Posts

I agree it is stupid and infuriating. On the flipside I think if everything was totally balanced out then players would feel like nothing mattered, nothing was unique, nothing was new. But game designers are seriously deranged in their decision making skills. They do stupid things for no reason and when people complain they ignore it. It happens in offline games too. Just imagine how much worse console games would be with no QA/Testing people.

Anyways I dont know what to tell you. You just have to accept your limitations. Certain characters will have certain difficulties. I played Asheron's Call and I was an Unarmed Combat guy which is one of the lowest damage outputs in the game. I couldnt hunt alot of place that archers and mages had no problems dealing with.

You either accept what your character can do and have fun in the places you can or you make another character. Im with you though. I wish there was perfect balance.

Do you have a skill to keep you from getting knocked down? How high was it? You dont know how hard that little turd dwarf worked on his knockdown skill. If it had failed how would the fight have gone? If you have the ability to play a game like WoW and your crying about klass imblance you need ----- slapped. I will trade you my ps2 for your pc and broadband ANY DAY OF THE WEEK!!!!!
TristanShand

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 TristanShand

The game i'm refering to with that little instance was Warhammer Online, atlhough i've encountered plenty of similar things from past games. The Ironbreaker dwarf class has been far to loved by the Games Workshop crew, they like their dwarfs and are very proud of them. They feel that a dwarf should be tough and hit hard so they make it so. They give them ridiculous attacks such as a 5 second knockdown (a long time to be out of control of your character in that game, especially if you got more then one surrounding you) their standard bread and butter melee attack hits harder then the Witch Elf (the opposing teams top damage dealer) they wear the best armor in the game and have a knockback move which sends you flying back over 150 feet and into larva or down a cliff.

The results of this class in-balance has caused devastation to the games community already. 80% of the servers destruction team are pretty much pushed right back to their capitol city and win about 1 in 5 battlegrounds. The destruction team can't do anything about it, we play our best but our best can be simply countered by a few instant button presses by that particular class. It takes whole groups of people with concentrated fire to bring them down, meanwhile the rest of his team are free to pick you off.

_AbBaNdOn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 122

#7 _AbBaNdOn
Member since 2005 • 6518 Posts
Ummm how many months has that been out??? The cool thing about mmorpg's is that the developers do make changes now and then if they feel its needed. Just give it time. I could care less about player vs player anyways. I feel it ruins any game and strips all the soul right out of a game. Players vs Monsters is what it should be about.
cru3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 cru3
Member since 2003 • 303 Posts

I love MMO games. But I don't really play them anymore. Last one was WoW. But yeah I know the feeling. But I mean they won't ever truly balance classes in MMO games. When they nerf one, they have to nerf another. IMO Hunters are one of the most overpowered classes in WoW. My Hunter and my pet were like a well tuned killing machine. I could easily devour people my lvl and higher. But then you play a priest or a warrior and you feel like such underpowered classes. Then you have to play in groups to benefit.

I understand you gripe, but what fun is a MMO game if everythign in the world is equal? I think it would totally offset the economy and kind of defeat the purpose of classes in general. Every classes has strengths and weakesses. Thats just the way it works and the way it always will be.

e3li7e

This is actually pretty funny as well, because when WoW was in beta and just after launch, Hunters and Warlocks were a free kill for any other class in the game. I used to slaughter them on my very first character, which was a Ret Paladin. Back then Rogues were the top dogs, and they were for a pretty long time even after launch. If they got the drop on you, it was game over.

Now it's completely opposite, Ret Paladins are the free kill and Hunters/Warlocks are sometimes unstoppable.

TristanShand

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 TristanShand

I totally left Warhammer online and have dipped the CD in Coca Cola, dried it with a scours and i'm now using it as a place-mat for my cup of jasmin tea. I wish I could have my £50 back from buying the collectors edition, that marks the last fantasy tank and healer MMO i will ever play. The Agency and DC Online, i'm counting on you.

savinger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 savinger
Member since 2007 • 1309 Posts

I find it seriously annoying when you played hard building your character up and you take a lot of pride in yourself, kicking arse in battlegrounds, mastering your hotbars and tweaking/customising your character to the right balance. Only to have some dwarf who is 5 levels lower come walking up, knock you down disabling your character for a ridiculous duration and then hit you for an attack which outdamages your damage focus character of superier level!

What i'm getting at here is simply class balance, where the developers favor a certain class or overlook skills which players catch onto and exploit to the maximum. I absoltey hate it! You can't win every fight but when you lose a fight that's simply made impossible because someone presses 1,2,3 on the keyboard and that's all it takes you beat you, it makes me just delete the game and tell it to go **** itself.

Being responsible for class balance in MMORPG's must be a very difficult job, I respect that.

TristanShand

Sounds like you need to get better.

TristanShand

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 TristanShand

Sounds like you need to get better.

savinger

Sounds like you got no idea what i'm talking about. Did you ever play Everquest when it originally came out? You know it had a class called the Shadowknight. The shadowknight was the polar opposite of the Paladin; the paladin had a skill called Lay on hands; Lay on hands is a skill that completely heals the player instantly; the shadowknight is it's polar opposite; the shadowknight has Harm Touch; Harm touch completely kills it's target instantly. This is where the term "Win Button" came from.

Some things are beyond our power, we have our limits. I want you to jump over my vehicle while i'm driving towards you at 90mph. If your face is splattered over my windscreen i'll lean over past the steering wheel and say to you "Looks like you need to get better". By the way, I drive a truck.

erawsd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 erawsd
Member since 2002 • 6930 Posts
[QUOTE="e3li7e"]

cru3

This is actually pretty funny as well, because when WoW was in beta and just after launch, Hunters and Warlocks were a free kill for any other class in the game. I used to slaughter them on my very first character, which was a Ret Paladin. Back then Rogues were the top dogs, and they were for a pretty long time even after launch. If they got the drop on you, it was game over.

Now it's completely opposite, Ret Paladins are the free kill and Hunters/Warlocks are sometimes unstoppable.

At least for another week, in the current beta Ret Pallies are near unbeatable.

thebrown07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#13 thebrown07
Member since 2005 • 1487 Posts
As said before there will always be balancing issues in MMOs therefore creating IMBA characters or skills. I've been through quite a few MMOs with Guild Wars being the longest lasting one for me. Every other month they would release a patch to nerf or buff certain skills and each time a problem would be created for every problem solved. Even if a skill seems fine in PvE you might suddenly go into PvP and see people abusing the skill. :(
TristanShand

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 TristanShand

As said before there will always be balancing issues in MMOs therefore creating IMBA characters or skills. I've been through quite a few MMOs with Guild Wars being the longest lasting one for me. Every other month they would release a patch to nerf or buff certain skills and each time a problem would be created for every problem solved. Even if a skill seems fine in PvE you might suddenly go into PvP and see people abusing the skill. :(thebrown07

So true. Some MMO's have players experiencing an issue where they don't even play on a PVP server yet they find skills they use often becoming weaker as it's being balanced for PVP combat. I think this is a good debate, except i'm so peeved off with Warhammer Online at the moment it's difficult to read when your seeing red.

tiusej1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#15 tiusej1
Member since 2003 • 56 Posts

Another thing to hate about MMORPGs: everything else.

lack of developed plot; lack of detailed characters and NPCs; lack of roleplaying; lack of innovation; lack of gameplay (when the same button functions for walking/running/opening/fighting/spellcasting/talking/viewing/fishing); missing dialogue trees and character progression; hours of slavery; in-game marriage; spaming; camping for hours; LAG!!!!!; etc.