This topic is locked from further discussion.

bjs1978

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#1 bjs1978
Member since 2008 • 122 Posts

Hello. I recently purchased Okami on the wii to see what all of the buzz was about. It's one of those games that you never really hear about but all of the reviews everywhere are through the roof. (In fact, when I purchased the game at Gamestop, the guy who worked there showed me he had Okami tatooed on his arm. Ha ha). Anyway, after playing it for only about an hour or so I can easily see why the ratings are so high. It really is a great game and it is very......artistic I guess you would say.

The only bad reviews that I saw were by people who were annoyed by the celestial brush requiring you to be so specific with your strokes or it would not register. I did find some of this even in the short time that I have played so far. While it is kind of annoying, I do not find it annoying enough to lower my review or rating of the game. What does everyone else think about that?

viewtiful26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#2 viewtiful26
Member since 2005 • 2842 Posts
The celestial brush just took some getting used to, for example, it's easier to slash if you hold the Z button while brushing. Yeah, it's a great game, I beat it last year.
Avatar image for justxtremekilla
justxtremekilla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 justxtremekilla
Member since 2005 • 598 Posts
Okami no doubt is one of the best games on the Wii. Definitely in the top 5. The controls can get in the way but doesn't really ruin the game too much, only enough to knock off around 5% maximum for me. in short Nintendo got F'd in the A by Capcom on their own console
Nifty_Shark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Nifty_Shark
Member since 2007 • 13137 Posts

Okami no doubt is one of the best games on the Wii. Definitely in the top 5. The controls can get in the way but doesn't really ruin the game too much, only enough to knock off around 5% maximum for me. in short Nintendo got F'd in the A by Capcom on their own consolejustxtremekilla

I almost agree. Capcom isn't really F'ing Nintendo but are giving them a run for their money. No More Heroes is the kind of game you would think we'd see more of but nintendo continues to sleep while money pours in so they don't actually do anything. The issue with capcom is that they are mostly releasing excellent ports (RE games, Okami) so it isn't actually new stuff or a remake.

Shifty_Pete

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Shifty_Pete
Member since 2004 • 2678 Posts

Hello. I recently purchased Okami on the wii to see what all of the buzz was about. It's one of those games that you never really hear about but all of the reviews everywhere are through the roof. (In fact, when I purchased the game at Gamestop, the guy who worked there showed me he had Okami tatooed on his arm. Ha ha). Anyway, after playing it for only about an hour or so I can easily see why the ratings are so high. It really is a great game and it is very......artistic I guess you would say.

The only bad reviews that I saw were by people who were annoyed by the celestial brush requiring you to be so specific with your strokes or it would not register. I did find some of this even in the short time that I have played so far. While it is kind of annoying, I do not find it annoying enough to lower my review or rating of the game. What does everyone else think about that? bjs1978

I've heard the Brush controls were problematic on the Wii, and for some reason they crammed waggle into the combat controls. Also, they removed the filter that made the game look like a traditional Japanese rice-paper watercolor. They also refused to mention the original creators in the credits. Do youself a favor and try the PS2 version... better visuals, better handling of the Celestial Brush, and most importantly, no waggle.

skp_16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#6 skp_16
Member since 2005 • 3854 Posts

I played it on PS2, controls are very very easy. :)

Okami is already one of the best games ever! :D

Robio_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#7 Robio_basic
Member since 2002 • 7059 Posts
The controls did take some getting used to and were awkward at first, but after a couple hours it was very natural and I didn't have any probelms. My only gripe with the game was that it was one of those games that was probably too long for its own good. I'm not going to spoil anything for you, but there was a point where the game could have ended and I would have been entirely satisfied. Once I passed that point it all felt kind of tacked on. Not bad per say, but at that point the game took on the feeling of a good but unnecessary sequel.
Angry_Beaver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Angry_Beaver
Member since 2003 • 4884 Posts
[QUOTE="bjs1978"]

The only bad reviews that I saw were by people who were annoyed by the celestial brush requiring you to be so specific with your strokes or it would not register. I did find some of this even in the short time that I have played so far. While it is kind of annoying, I do not find it annoying enough to lower my review or rating of the game. What does everyone else think about that? Shifty_Pete

I've heard the Brush controls were problematic on the Wii, and for some reason they crammed waggle into the combat controls. Also, they removed the filter that made the game look like a traditional Japanese rice-paper watercolor. They also refused to mention the original creators in the credits. Do youself a favor and try the PS2 version... better visuals, better handling of the Celestial Brush, and most importantly, no waggle.

I've heard that making Amaterasu dodge is problematic with the Wiimote, as opposed to the DualShock2. Most people seem to ignore this issue, since dodging isn't necessary, but I personally like dodging. The PS2 version controls better because of this issue, though some people do happen to like motion control for the brush better than dual analog. I've never tried it and dual analog is fine, so I view the PS2 version as superior. Also, waggling the remote to attack doesn't work as well for one or two types of weapons as it does in the PS2 version.

As for the credits... it's not just that Clover isn't in them, but there supposedly aren't any credits at all! I guess because Clover's symbol was in the background and couldn't be removed or something....:? Hopefully the song that plays during the credits on the PS2 version wasn't removed in the song selection.

Additionally, the epilogue is missing in the Wii version. It's not too important, but it's a nice ending, and it gives you a piece of information that some people may not pick up on during the course of the game.

Finaru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Finaru
Member since 2008 • 306 Posts

In my personal opinion, Okami is better played on the PS2 than on the Wii. The controls really aren't graet, and the Wii makes the game look muddy and clouded is you're playing on an HDTV.

It stretches the resolution something awful.

viewtiful26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 viewtiful26
Well, hardly anyone bought either versions, so I don't see what the difference is on what version you get. :P I think IGN preferred the Wii version though.
SciFiCat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#11 SciFiCat
Member since 2006 • 1750 Posts
[QUOTE="viewtiful26"]Well, hardly anyone bought either versions, so I don't see what the difference is on what version you get. :P I think IGN preferred the Wii version though.

Indeed, truly sad how such a great game got overlooked by the general public. As for the differences: In the Wii the colors are more saturated which defeats the purpose of the sumi-e watercolor look that is more accurate on the PS2 version, but the Wii has better texture resolution. Control wise, the Wii pointer is not very accurate but it feels more natural as a drawing tool, the PS2 version is accurate but doesn't feel right drawing with your thumb, so I just grab the analog between my thumb and index fingers and use it that way. It gives me better results. :P
bigfatcrap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#12 bigfatcrap
Member since 2006 • 1919 Posts
I love it. Nice and complete gameplay experience with neat characters and an interesting story. I really loved the final boss fight.
Joshy485

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Joshy485
Member since 2007 • 316 Posts
[QUOTE="skp_16"]

I played it on the ps2 as well. Ive got no compaints about the controls.
Joshy485

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Joshy485
[QUOTE="skp_16"]

I've played it on the ps2 as well. I got no complaints concerning the controls. Great Game! One of my top five games for the ps2. True work of art....yes videogames can be art!
Joshy485

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Joshy485
sorry for saying it twice.it was an accident. When I first played the game I realized how beautiful videogames could be.
bluej33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 107

#16 bluej33
Member since 2007 • 687 Posts
Yeah, the brush controls can be a little annoying. For example, at one early point in the game when you have to cut something down from the tree, I had a hard time with it. But overall it doesn't really matter, largely because of the amazing art style. That's the reason I really play Okami: just to take in all the beautiful environments. Weird, I guess, but it's true.
DeadxPrez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 DeadxPrez
Member since 2006 • 180 Posts
I have never played Okami but if you want to talk about underapreciated Otogi:Mth of Demons and Otogi 2:Immortal Warriors are 2 excellent games. One of my favorite hack and slash games ever.
Avatar image for Black_Knight_00
Black_Knight_00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#18 Black_Knight_00
Member since 2007 • 77 Posts
The only bad reviews that I saw were by people who were annoyed by the celestial brush requiring you to be so specific with your strokes or it would not register.bjs1978
I only found it very annoying when you have to draw a line on the name of a unique monster after slaying it. It took me 2 full minutes to do it the first time. Other than that, the reason why I gave up on Okami is the lack of an engrossing storyline that would keep me playing. Without it, boredom eventually took over.
viewtiful26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 viewtiful26
[QUOTE="SciFiCat"][QUOTE="viewtiful26"]Well, hardly anyone bought either versions, so I don't see what the difference is on what version you get. :P I think IGN preferred the Wii version though.

Indeed, truly sad how such a great game got overlooked by the general public. As for the differences: In the Wii the colors are more saturated which defeats the purpose of the sumi-e watercolor look that is more accurate on the PS2 version, but the Wii has better texture resolution. Control wise, the Wii pointer is not very accurate but it feels more natural as a drawing tool, the PS2 version is accurate but doesn't feel right drawing with your thumb, so I just grab the analog between my thumb and index fingers and use it that way. It gives me better results. :P

I believe the Wii version supports progressive scan and Widescreen. It's the version I got, and I personally think the Wii remote made the Celestial Brush more fun to use, although it took some getting used to.