Obsolete trend: Unlockable content

This topic is locked from further discussion.

NBSRDan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 0

#1 NBSRDan
Member since 2009 • 1320 Posts
Back in the 8-bit days, certain design flaws were forgivable. Just like in the days of Snow White, when poor camera angles were forgivable, gaming was a new medium and any sort of standards had yet to evolve and solidify. However, there are some annoying trends for which I am amazed that they are still accepted today. The one I have in mind right now is unlockable content. Oh, unlockable content. Sounds like a great feature, doesn't it? You're not just playing a game, you're unlocking things! Of course, the only way that you can unlock something is if it was locked in the first place. A more accurate term would be "intentionally withheld content". Why do I have to play the campaign in Super Smash Bros. before the game will permit me to play as Marth? Why do I have to play through Career mode in Guitar Hero before the game will permit me to play every song in quickplay? In any game, why do I have to beat level 1 before the game will let me play level 2? Maybe level 1 is too hard, or too confusing, or maybe I just don't like level 1 that much and would rather play level 2 instead. Why am I forced to jump through hoops before I'm allowed to play the part of the game I enjoy most? Well I'll tell you why. It's because designers are trying to be parents. If you're playing the game in a way the designer didn't intend, your playing style is obviously wrong, and you must be punished for even thinking about it. Are you trying to skip over a campaign level because you don't like it? Silly player, that's not what I expected you to do. Now drop down and give me 20. This philosophy is borderline malevolent, and it's absurd that it is tolerated without a second thought. Imagine if after buying a ticket to see The Dark Knight, the receptionist forcefully equipped you with powerful sunglasses and earplugs because you hadn't seen Batman Begins, and threatened to kick you out of the theater if you tried to remove them. I know I personally would demand a refund and never visit that theater again. Please, designers, stop locking things. I'm just trying to enjoy my games.
gameguy6700

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 gameguy6700
Member since 2004 • 12197 Posts

Unlockable content is there to give a game replayability as well as give you a sense of accomplishment. Sometimes content is withheld to prevent the player from feeling overwhelmed when they first start a game (instead of giving the player all 50 weapons from the start, give them 5 at the beginning and then gradually introduce the rest).

If you don't want to bother with any challenges then there are usually ways to unlock all the content in a game at once. Many games have cheat codes for this very reason. And if they don't then there's always game enchancers, game save devices, etc.

k_smoove

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

#3 k_smoove
Member since 2006 • 11954 Posts

Because it would make single player games pointless. And there would be no motivation whatsoever. Why bother playing a level if there's no reward?

raahsnavj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#4 raahsnavj
Member since 2005 • 4895 Posts
I agree with some of what you said... but not all. Certain games just don't need to lock stuff. Rock Band for instance... I started my band, why I can't I start covering every song available to me right now? No I have to play around before I can play the harder songs... And worse, what if you got it for a party game only? now you have to go online find the lame, 'unlock all songs' code and put it in manually EVERY time you start the game up... FAIL... In fact almost any game that should be played more in party mode than non-party mode should not have unlockable main features. Now on the other side, unlockable content for levels and what not... I would find it annoying to skip a level in a story driven game... the feature there doesn't make sense. Also some unlockables can reward you with the ability to mess around the next time you play it (unlimited ammo cheats and what not)... that seems fair. But yeah, party mode games with locked stuff is dumb.
Shhadow_Viper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Shhadow_Viper
Member since 2009 • 2300 Posts
No way, I must disagree, the point behind that is incentive. I enjoy the accomplishment of unlocking something better though good performance. It's nice to have a reward for playing that can be incorporated in playing the game, not just some pointless trophies.
Incognitoisms

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Incognitoisms
Member since 2009 • 25 Posts

Because it would make single player games pointless. And there would be no motivation whatsoever. Why bother playing a level if there's no reward?

k_smoove
Because you're passionate about video games and want to play them (the good ones, at least). That's motivation enough, assuming you really DO like video games.
tsduv21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#7 tsduv21
Member since 2007 • 2942 Posts
Well, if you got the unlimited ammo rocket launcher at the beginning of the game that can kill everything that moves, what's the point of playing? I like some difficulty.
-DirtySanchez-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#8 -DirtySanchez-
Member since 2003 • 32760 Posts
sounds to me like you shouldnt play games at all
rjxtian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#9 rjxtian
Member since 2005 • 2638 Posts
it's called incentive.
Dman0017

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Dman0017
Member since 2007 • 4640 Posts

have you ever played a game where you are overpowered from the start and there is no improvement?

it gets boring superfast and adding the unlockable content encourages users to try new things rather than spam overpowered combos for 8 hours.