Nintendos Myamoto and Iwata take paycut

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Areez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Areez
Member since 2002 • 6278 Posts

As a result of the struggling WiiU platform, Nintendos Iwata, and Myamoto have given themselves pay cuts. Really!?

I rarely comment on anything Nintendo but these two should have been handed their pink slips a long time ago.

http://venturebeat.com/2014/01/29/nintendo-president-iwata-mario-creator-miyamoto-and-other-nintendo-executives-take-pay-cut-due-to-failing-wii-u/

Bigboi500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#2 Bigboi500
Member since 2007 • 35550 Posts

Honorable.

Grieverr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Grieverr
Member since 2002 • 2835 Posts

This whole Nintendo debacle has been exhausting. I was also of the thought that Iwata should be fired. It's Iwata who wasn't a believer of how crucial online gaming is. It's Iwata who's maintained the old school of thought that Nintendo doesn't need 3rd parties, and as such, treats them like inconveniences instead of partners. I attribute those two, among others, to reasons why the Wii U failed, and I believe Iwata to be directly responsible. I understand he doesn't act alone, but he lays down the law.

That being said, it's obvious he's not going anytime soon. So I can only "punish" Nintendo the best way I can. I will not be buying the next Nintendo console at launch. I will wait and see what they offer before I buy it, if I ever do. They have lost a faithful customer in me.

I still love their games, and will be buying whatever Wii U games seem interesting to me. But, "because it's Nintendo" is no longer a reason for me to blindly buy whatever they put out there.

MirkoS77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#4  Edited By MirkoS77
Member since 2011 • 17676 Posts

"Awwww gee whiz, what great guys they are! Taking pay cuts to make up for their own gross incompetence! I hope they say forever....! What a great CEO! His last paycut worked wonders. Truly the way to run a decent business!"

I'm sure Iwata rushed this to the presses.

*Meanwhile, Nintendo posts 3rd annual consecutive loss, a 70% reduction in forecasts, and $230 million in losses*

Pathetic. Nothing more than Iwata and co. tugging at the heartstrings of guillible fans to make them admire their shining white knights and again attempt to distract them away from where the truly important stuff matters.....BEING ABLE TO RUN A GODDAMN BUSINESS. Who the **** cares how much they're taking home when they are unable to get shit done!?

Iwata and Miyamoto, if you cared anything about this company instead of your adament insistence on staying in power at all costs, you'd do the honorable thing and resign. A paycut does nothing to fix your continual blunders, and it sure doesn't make up for the billions in capital lost over the last few years.

branketra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 9

#5 branketra
Member since 2006 • 51726 Posts

I am still going to buy a Wii U eventually.

I-AM-N00B

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 I-AM-N00B
Member since 2012 • 470 Posts

Not looking good for Nintendo! Maybe eventually they'll abandon the Wii U and focus 100% on the handhelds? That's the market they always seem to do best in!

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

#8 Pedro  Online
Member since 2002 • 69799 Posts

I guess it would make the system better knowing that these guys got a pay cut. Seriously, though Nintendo needs to drop the over reliance on the stupid controller and focus more on making great games that are NOT MARIO AND ZELDA. The system is not a beast but it passable. Its not like weak systems were unable to succeed in the past. But you can't have a weak system and weak selection of games. I still get pissed everything I see that message "Look at your controller", "Look at your TV". Seriously.

CarnageHeart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 CarnageHeart
Member since 2002 • 18316 Posts

Iwata has acknowledged that Nintendo hasn't done much to appeal to kids. Not clear if he was talking about the Wii U or Nintendo in general. I'd say that 'doesn't appeal much to kids' is a lot more true in the console arena than the handheld one (thanks to relatively young franchises like Pokémon and Animal Crossing). Once a franchise has been around for 30 years or so, its probably appealing more to the adults who grew up with it than to kids (look at Marvel and DC comicbooks or the Transformers).

http://www.dualshockers.com/2014/01/29/nintendo-we-havent-been-targeting-children-enough/

WR_Platinum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 WR_Platinum
Member since 2003 • 4685 Posts

Respect for taking a cut rather than firing employees.

MirkoS77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By MirkoS77
Member since 2011 • 17676 Posts

@WR_Platinum said:

Respect for taking a cut rather than firing employees.

Never understood this praise for Iwata either. A CEO isn't automatically decent because they don't fire. Firing someone who isn't up to the job can be just as important as keeping on someone who is. Refusing to let people go can be a huge liability.

Solaryellow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Solaryellow
Member since 2013 • 7034 Posts

@I-AM-N00B said:

Not looking good for Nintendo! Maybe eventually they'll abandon the Wii U and focus 100% on the handhelds? That's the market they always seem to do best in!

Isn't that what Nintendo seems to be doing already?