nintendo profits fall.. situation looking grim

This topic is locked from further discussion.

ionusX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 0

#1 ionusX
Member since 2009 • 25777 Posts

nintendo's profits have fallen as of late and their expected to fallf urther if something isnt done..

their december results are in and despite christmas sales their profits are down a good 31%

this is expected to fall another 60% before the year is out of something isnt done.

consoles sales are donw and so are handhelds.

with sony's psp2 en-route along with kinetic and move in full swing nintendo needs to head to the drawing board and really grind out a winner from the wii HD not just revamp the visuals of the wii and expect the motion controller to somehow be "good enough"

i highly recommend on reflecting on the past, what worked and what didnt and drawing conclusions from that nintendo.. itd be a shame to see you go..

http://gaming.hexus.net/content/item.php?item=28678

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kXnrb0nrSj0

ZIVX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#2 ZIVX
Member since 2008 • 2981 Posts

Nintendo did still sell more than Microsoft and Sony last year

Also their 3DS is on the way and pre-orders have already sold out in Japan with "as much interest in a handheld since the original Gameboy"

LikeHaterade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 LikeHaterade
Member since 2007 • 10645 Posts

My soul would be lost if Nintendo ceased to exist. :(

ionusX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 ionusX

Nintendo did still sell more than Microsoft and Sony last year

Also their 3DS is on the way and pre-orders have already sold out in Japan with "as much interest in a handheld since the original Gameboy"

ZIVX

yes but this goes without saying that next year they have very few wii games atm in 1h 2011.. the list of titles that arent gimmicks i can count without leaving my fingers n toes and thats including forein only releases

the DS and DS3D do have a future but to what extent is very unclear.. their starting to lag behind the psp is silently growing in popularity.. the DS has this magical charm to it heck i won one.. but the writing is on the wall nintendo needs to either rethink the way they approach consoles singificantly and they need to seriously look at how their handling welll.. handhelds now if they want to stay relevent in both industries.. otherwise nintendo.. ir ecommend you cut your losses and the wii is the perfect place to start..

heres no dishonor in bowing out of a market to cut ones losses.. look at OCZ or apple..i mean perhaps apple is a bit of a bad example but their move away from servers and desktops and travel down the portable road has been quite the unique feat of buisness mangement so has coz's flight from the meory market.. i say let em.. it could proove to be the best decision they hav made in years..

RandoIph

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#5 RandoIph
Member since 2010 • 2041 Posts
Yeah somehow I don't see Nintendo bowing out of a market they lead by a wide margin.
Avatar image for JayQproductions
JayQproductions

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 JayQproductions
Member since 2007 • 1806 Posts

Nintendo MUST release a new console by next year at the very latest unless they wanna be known as a "handheld only" company. Sony and Microsost have at least 2-3 years before they have to release a new console and I just can't see the Wii going another 1-2 years.

QuistisTrepe_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 QuistisTrepe_
Member since 2010 • 4121 Posts

Yes, I imagine that things are just horrifying for Nintendo right about now, what with completely dominating this console gen to the point where their competitors are implementing features that Nintendo started nearly five years ago. Add in the fact that they turned a profit on every console sold, and the situation is really dreary.

Bleak indeed.

sinpkr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 sinpkr
Member since 2010 • 1255 Posts

u guys have to relize nitendo gets its main income from Gaming. they have nothing to fall back on so this is actually troubling

Avatar image for deactivated-63f6895020e66
deactivated-63f6895020e66

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 deactivated-63f6895020e66
Member since 2004 • 21177 Posts

u guys have to relize nitendo gets its main income from Gaming. they have nothing to fall back on so this is actually troubling

sinpkr
It's not. A decline in profits means exactly that, a decline in profits . They're still making money. With a new piece of hardware out soon, which is casually the successor to one of the most successful game systems ever, there's nothing to be worried about.
oldogg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 oldogg
Member since 2003 • 823 Posts

umm.... why is this surprising or even a bad thing?

theyve already sold tons and tons of DS's and Wii's, there's only so many people left that hadn't bought those units. And its not like they put out a new console that needed to recoup the costs. Pretty much everything theyre making is profit this year.

Verdict: not grim.

ionusX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 ionusX

Yes, I imagine that things are just horrifying for Nintendo right about now, what with completely dominating this console gen to the point where their competitors are implementing features that Nintendo started nearly five years ago. Add in the fact that they turned a profit on every console sold, and the situation is really dreary.

Bleak indeed.

QuistisTrepe_

yes your illusions are well documented..

where have oyu been!! the top 10 games for the wii still contains many of its console 2009 lauch titles rotflmao

and i WILL break out the hcart if you want .. the one where the xbox, pc, and ps3 are beating out the wii in terms of games with release dates for 1h 2011.. literally this chart even gives them a handicap by removing kinetic and move exclusive titles.

and it STILL loses the next system up is the xbox at a ratio of about 3 xbox titles for every one wii game..

never mind the pc and ps3 which are in a near perfect deadlock.. yes the console is doing fine.. AS A PAPERWEIGHT or DUSTCOLLECTOR

seriously.. the wii may be a decent system.. heck i own one right next to my pc but i assure you that. a severely poor start to 1h 2011 is cause for cencern coupled with this news

what nintendo currently has

the always rough edged handheld migration to a new handheld

and they have a 2 year old console with notable bugs and problems with developer/publisher support that disappearing by the day!

here you forced my hand im hauling out the chart:

http://img2.sankakustatic.com/wp-content/gallery/safe-ix/2011-games.jpg

wii titles for 1h 2011:

xenoblade, the last story, TLoZ: SS, lost in shadow, conduit 2, super mario sports mix, driver, ghost recon future soldier, rune factory oceans, de blob2

every other system beats the wii in titles until the end of july-august by a ratio of about 10:1 AT MINIMUM and we havent even started talking kinetic, move, or pc indie titles yet..

the wii needs to step up its game.. BIG TIME

rragnaar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#12 rragnaar
Member since 2005 • 27023 Posts
The thread title is needlessly sensational. Nintendo might not be selling as many systems but that is only because they've got an old console on the market that has sold more than either of its competitors and they're running out of potential customers. Not only that, they've got a new handheld coming, so obviously DS sales have cooled down. Nintendo is plenty profitable.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 deactivated-63f6895020e66
the wii needs to step up its game.. BIG TIMEionusX
The Wii has been getting a significantly less high-profile games than the 360 and PS3 for the past 4 years, and it has still outsold both of them. Why should that change now? Nintendo has been incredibly successful with both the Wii and DS, both having broken plenty of sales records, there nothing that indicates they will be troubled this year.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 deactivated-63f6895020e66
yes the DS is fine.. but a handheld alone doesnt keep a company as big as nintendo afloat and you have got to agree with me there..ionusX
Nintendo did just fine last gen with the GBA, despite the GameCube being the worst-selling console.
SapSacPrime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#16 SapSacPrime
Member since 2004 • 8925 Posts

How can you add it would be a shame to see them go to the end of your post after the gen they have had? Nintendo have made a fortune this gen and all of it selling weaker tech at a big profit from launch, that tech itself is well out of date now even if there is still new software coming you have to expect sales to dwindle.

3DS on the way and a new console announcement is due going on their previous tactics, Im pretty confident Nintendo aren't going to be going anywhere (the DS is heading to be the best selling console of all time).

CarnageHeart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 CarnageHeart
Member since 2002 • 18316 Posts

nintendo's profits have fallen as of late and their expected to fallf urther if something isnt done..

their december results are in and despite christmas sales their profits are down a good 31%

this is expected to fall another 60% before the year is out of something isnt done.

consoles sales are donw and so are handhelds.

with sony's psp2 en-route along with kinetic and move in full swing nintendo needs to head to the drawing board and really grind out a winner from the wii HD not just revamp the visuals of the wii and expect the motion controller to somehow be "good enough"

i highly recommend on reflecting on the past, what worked and what didnt and drawing conclusions from that nintendo.. itd be a shame to see you go..

http://gaming.hexus.net/content/item.php?item=28678

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kXnrb0nrSj0

ionusX

Anyone that knows me knows I'm not enamored of Nintendo's hardware or software strategies, but your post is just ridiculous.

1) Wii sales dropped off long before the Kinect (or for that matter the Move) hit the shelves so while they seem to appeal to the same type of gamer, its not clear that one is stealing the sales of the other.

2) I'm as excited about the PSP2 as anyone, but if they are bright Sony and Nintendo are more worried about Apple than each other.

3) 'Less profitable' is the sort of thing that worries investors, but given the state of the industry, 'profitable' is a good place to be. On that note, Nintendo has almost always been profitable (even in the GC years, largely due to the GBA) so I wouldn't bet on them leaving the industry anytime soon.

James161324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 James161324
Member since 2009 • 8315 Posts

Yeah somehow I don't see Nintendo bowing out of a market they lead by a wide margin.RandoIph

It really means nothing on how many consoles they sell over the 360, bottom line is profit, and there profit has beeing dropping and dropping, so this is starting to be a some what concern.

QuistisTrepe_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 QuistisTrepe_
Member since 2010 • 4121 Posts

[QUOTE="QuistisTrepe_"]

Bleak indeed.

ionusX

where have oyu been!! the top 10 games for the wii still contains many of its console 2009 lauch titles rotflmao

and i WILL break out the hcart if you want .. the one where the xbox, pc, and ps3 are beating out the wii in terms of games with release dates for 1h 2011.. literally this chart even gives them a handicap by removing kinetic and move exclusive titles.

and it STILL loses the next system up is the xbox at a ratio of about 3 xbox titles for every one wii game..

never mind the pc and ps3 which are in a near perfect deadlock.. yes the console is doing fine.. AS A PAPERWEIGHT or DUSTCOLLECTOR

seriously.. the wii may be a decent system.. heck i own one right next to my pc but i assure you that. a severely poor start to 1h 2011 is cause for cencern coupled with this news

and they have a 2 year old console with notable bugs and problems with developer/publisher support that disappearing by the day!

wii titles for 1h 2011:

xenoblade, the last story, TLoZ: SS, lost in shadow, conduit 2, super mario sports mix, driver, ghost recon future soldier, rune factory oceans, de blob2

every other system beats the wii in titles until the end of july-august by a ratio of about 10:1 AT MINIMUM and we havent even started talking kinetic, move, or pc indie titles yet..

Photobucket

What does this have to do with anything I've posted? Please go back to system wars.

rragnaar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#20 rragnaar
Member since 2005 • 27023 Posts

[QUOTE="QuistisTrepe_"]

Bleak indeed.

ionusX

wii titles for 1h 2011:

I missed this comment the first time around. Threads like this belong in System Wars.