Nintendo not to have a conferance at E3

This topic is locked from further discussion.

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 122

User Lists: 2

#1 The_Last_Ride
Member since 2004 • 76371 Posts

Nintendo has decided not to do it this year. If you ask me, it is freaking stupid. Last year it made sense because two other consoles were announced. But this year they should be doing everything to sell the consoles...

Link

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By Lulu_Lulu
Member since 2013 • 19564 Posts

Okay... Its not a big Lulu...... Try not to Panick..... :(

they probably just forgot... Yeah that must be it.

#FREAKINGOUT

Senor_Kami

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3 Senor_Kami
Member since 2008 • 8529 Posts

They don't need to have one. They can get equal coverage and people to show up at their own events, as proved last year. All the press woke up early to go to it and covered its games and announcements all throughout E3. At that point, why pay for an E3 booth unless it costs less? They lose on nothing.

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#4 Jacanuk
Member since 2011 • 20281 Posts

@The_Last_Ride said:

Nintendo has decided not to do it this year. If you ask me, it is freaking stupid. Last year it made sense because two other consoles were announced. But this year they should be doing everything to sell the consoles...

Link

You mean like the did last year because they again have nothing to show?

Your post is almost a 100% identical to your post around the same 2013 :D

And let me repeat what i said back then "Wise decision" Nintendo have nothing new, no new games, no new thing that would justify spending what it costs to hire a big booth, hire time on the main stage and the potential PR is less then what they could do on their own and with this news.

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 The_Last_Ride

@Jacanuk said:

@The_Last_Ride said:

Link

And let me repeat what i said back then "Wise decision" Nintendo have nothing new, no new games, no new thing that would justify spending what it costs to hire a big booth, hire time on the main stage and the potential PR is less then what they could do on their own and with this news.

But it made sense back then, as i stated. I think it is a huge mistake

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Jacanuk

@The_Last_Ride said:

@Jacanuk said:

@The_Last_Ride said:

Link

I disagree even more now, there is no logic in a company like Nintendo attending E3 when they don't have that WOW game or new hardware that would potentially steal the spotlight. By doing it this way they secure more press coverage and a added hype, plus they don't have to fight all the other Big 3 for the spotlight.

Also E3 really has no real value anymore, if the big companies think about it they dont need these expos, the only ones that really benefit are the indie devs and the small companies.

El_Zo1212o

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By El_Zo1212o
Member since 2009 • 6057 Posts

No big deal. A good 60-90 minute Direct serves exactly the same purpose as a big e3 conference and probably only costs a fraction of one. Frankly, I prefer the lack of pointless and occasionally embarrassing flash.

jasean79

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 jasean79
Member since 2005 • 2593 Posts

Probably a wise move, especially from a financial standpoint. I'm sure the advertising and promotions for E3 alone cost a pretty penny. Maybe they can use the funds to promote their brand elsewhere.

Shinobishyguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#9  Edited By Shinobishyguy
Member since 2006 • 22928 Posts

Theyre not having a conference, but it looks like this isn't going to be an ordinary direct like last year

Sure the gaming press is gonna be upset that they don't get their coverage and free swag but eh

MWright469

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#10 MWright469
Member since 2014 • 168 Posts

They're not going to E3, is because they don't have anything to show at E3.

shellcase86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 shellcase86
Member since 2012 • 6851 Posts

Probably for the better. Unless they have new hardware to show, they'll most likely get overshadowed by the other big 2. Looking forward to the memes.

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 The_Last_Ride

@Jacanuk said:

@The_Last_Ride said:

@Jacanuk said:

@The_Last_Ride said:

Link

I disagree even more now, there is no logic in a company like Nintendo attending E3 when they don't have that WOW game or new hardware that would potentially steal the spotlight. By doing it this way they secure more press coverage and a added hype, plus they don't have to fight all the other Big 3 for the spotlight.

Also E3 really has no real value anymore, if the big companies think about it they dont need these expos, the only ones that really benefit are the indie devs and the small companies.

Hyrule Warrior, the new Zelda game, Smash Bros, Mario Kart DLC, third party games and the new ones they are working with? I think that is a strong lineup. It's not just for us. It's for the casual crowd aswell. Not everyone follows Nintendo Direct you know

c_rakestraw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 64

#13 c_rakestraw  Moderator
Member since 2007 • 14627 Posts
@Shinobishyguy said:

Theyre not having a conference, but it looks like this isn't going to be an ordinary direct like last year

Sure the gaming press is gonna be upset that they don't get their coverage and free swag but eh

Speaking as a member of the press myself, I honestly don't care whether they hold a proper conference or not. Just means I can take it easy that morning instead of having to run around town trying to get to and from their conference venue. I'm sure most other press members would agree.

All I'm concerned about is if this means they're going to hold another shoddily organized psudo-conference on the show-floor prior to the show proper starting. Everything I heard about that from last year made it sound like a god damn catastrophe. Barely anyone was able to get any time to check out their line up, which is what the whole event was made for in the first place, because they only had an hour time-slot. Hardly enough time for thousands of journalists to do their job. Only ended up wasting everyone's time. We were all better off just taking individual appointments instead.

I'm really hoping they've learned their lesson and either forgo holding their own mini-event or properly organize one so it's not such a god damn mess. It's hard enough to cover they show as is. They don't need to make it harder.

@mwright469 said:

They're not going to E3, is because they don't have anything to show at E3.

They're going to E3 still. They're just not holding a press conference. Why does everyone instantly equate no press conference to not going to the show?

_BlueDuck_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 _BlueDuck_
Member since 2003 • 11986 Posts

In other, more-than-likely unrelated news, Nintendo has today released their "Announcing Nintendo at E3 2014" video, confirming a Nintendo-hosted Smash Bros. tournament for E3, a Nintendo Digital Event promising "new games and announcements", and finally, constant daily live streams of games, live at E3.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ghEhI4CJjAM

They did this, presumably, to quash all possible hype for the upcoming conference which they do not plan to attend in any significant way.

MirkoS77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#15  Edited By MirkoS77
Member since 2011 • 17675 Posts
@Jacanuk said:

I disagree even more now, there is no logic in a company like Nintendo attending E3 when they don't have that WOW gameor new hardware that would potentially steal the spotlight. By doing it this way they secure more press coverage and a added hype, plus they don't have to fight all the other Big 3 for the spotlight.

Ummmm....

Zelda?? If that's not a "WOW" game worthy of a PC, I don't know what is. You don't think that's going to steal the spotlight? Don't you (and others) enjoy the stage darkening, music rising, then seeing Miyamoto coming onstage with his sword and shield in hand, hundreds of flashes going off, that goofy grin on his face acting like a complete dork swinging his sword, the crowd roaring in excitement? I don't know how people don't enjoy such things, silly as they may be. Instead, what do we get? Dull 'ol Iwata in a business suit, standing stiff as a corpse in front of a bland white background, barely able to pronounce broken English in a dull monotone and embodying everything corporate dullness has to offer. Color me pumped, boys! Where's that new Zelda, "Directry to me" before I fall asleep?

I cannot, CANNOT fathom how people can defend this, especially at a time when Nintendo needs exposure the most. Last year was bad enough but somewhat understandable considering both had new hardware. The fact of the matter is, it's really irrelevant whether you or I see the point in these shows. It's that many out there view Nintendo bowing out of press conferences as a concession of defeat. It essentially says, "We can't compete", "We are not confident in what we are doing", "We have no drive or ambition". The PC is not about information as it is the manner in which it's presented. It is about standing your ground and asserting yourself. A show of confidence. With MS and Sony now thought of as the true players in the gaming industry today and Nintendo seen to be more quickly fading into irrelevance, this is of more paramount importance than ever. This whole "we don't compete" attitude from Iwata is killing Nintendo. They may believe they're not competing, but people don't see it that way.

@c_rakestraw"They're going to E3 still. They're just not holding a press conference. Why does everyone instantly equate no press conference to not going to the show?"

And that's entirely the problem and my point right there. People DO equate it to not showing up even if they did, hence not competing, hence, being basically irrelevant. How is this in any way a healthy message to send to people? At this point, it's something Nintendo can ill afford, and is the last thing they need. What do people think of when E3 is mentioned? I'd be willing to wager a high percentage would say the press conferences. For Nintendo to forgo, not only once, but twice an opportunity to get out there in such a publicized fashion to strut its stuff is incomprehensible to me considering where they are. And not to mention, what they have to show, especially this time around.

Unbelievable.

branketra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 9

#16 branketra
Member since 2006 • 51726 Posts

Nintendo is being conservative. That seems to be their modus-operandi this generation.

Grieverr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Grieverr
Member since 2002 • 2835 Posts

@MirkoS77 said:

Zelda?? If that's not a "WOW" game worthy of a PC, I don't know what is. You don't think that's going to steal the spotlight? Don't you (and others) enjoy the stage darkening, music rising, then seeing Miyamoto coming onstage with his sword and shield in hand, hundreds of flashes going off, that goofy grin on his face acting like a complete dork swinging his sword, the crowd roaring in excitement? I don't know how people don't enjoy such things, silly as they may be.

I cannot, CANNOT fathom how people can defend this, especially at a time when Nintendo needs exposure the most.

Agree, agree, agree!

The E3 presentation on that stage is not necessarily about the games, but about the companies pounding their chests. It's a "hey, look at me!" moment and no one needs that more than Nintendo right now.

Avatar image for turtlethetaffer
turtlethetaffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 144

#18  Edited By turtlethetaffer
Member since 2009 • 18973 Posts

they'll probably just do another Nintendo Direct.

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Jacanuk

@MirkoS77 said:
@Jacanuk said:

I disagree even more now, there is no logic in a company like Nintendo attending E3 when they don't have that WOW gameor new hardware that would potentially steal the spotlight. By doing it this way they secure more press coverage and a added hype, plus they don't have to fight all the other Big 3 for the spotlight.

Ummmm....

Zelda?? If that's not a "WOW" game worthy of a PC, I don't know what is. You don't think that's going to steal the spotlight? Don't you (and others) enjoy the stage darkening, music rising, then seeing Miyamoto coming onstage with his sword and shield in hand, hundreds of flashes going off, that goofy grin on his face acting like a complete dork swinging his sword, the crowd roaring in excitement? I don't know how people don't enjoy such things, silly as they may be. Instead, what do we get? Dull 'ol Iwata in a business suit, standing stiff as a corpse in front of a bland white background, barely able to pronounce broken English in a dull monotone and embodying everything corporate dullness has to offer. Color me pumped, boys! Where's that new Zelda, "Directry to me" before I fall asleep?

I cannot, CANNOT fathom how people can defend this, especially at a time when Nintendo needs exposure the most. Last year was bad enough but somewhat understandable considering both had new hardware. The fact of the matter is, it's really irrelevant whether you or I see the point in these shows. It's that many out there view Nintendo bowing out of press conferences as a concession of defeat. It essentially says, "We can't compete", "We are not confident in what we are doing", "We have no drive or ambition". The PC is not about information as it is the manner in which it's presented. It is about standing your ground and asserting yourself. A show of confidence. With MS and Sony now thought of as the true players in the gaming industry today and Nintendo seen to be more quickly fading into irrelevance, this is of more paramount importance than ever. This whole "we don't compete" attitude from Iwata is killing Nintendo. They may believe they're not competing, but people don't see it that way.

@c_rakestraw"They're going to E3 still. They're just not holding a press conference. Why does everyone instantly equate no press conference to not going to the show?"

And that's entirely the problem and my point right there. People DO equate it to not showing up even if they did, hence not competing, hence, being basically irrelevant. How is this in any way a healthy message to send to people? At this point, it's something Nintendo can ill afford, and is the last thing they need. What do people think of when E3 is mentioned? I'd be willing to wager a high percentage would say the press conferences. For Nintendo to forgo, not only once, but twice an opportunity to get out there in such a publicized fashion to strut its stuff is incomprehensible to me considering where they are. And not to mention, what they have to show, especially this time around.

Unbelievable.

You mean another Zelda in a long line on Zelda is a wow factor? im sorry but another new Zelda is almost like Activision announcing a new Call of Duty or EA announcing another FIFA, its so expected that its just a question of when and not if, also you know about so why should they announce it again at E3?. But Nintendo is creating their own hype now, if Nintendo said "yep another E3 with us" noone on this forum would have made a thread about it or even considered it newsworthy.

Also i think your mistaken Nintendo isn't saying they won't do any PC at all, they are just saying "F E3, we can create enough hype and interest on our own" and we can do it for a fraction of the E3 cost.

So i cannot understand how you even can question the logic of not being at E3 for Nintendo, and not competing for the spotlight with all the other big companies.

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 The_Last_Ride

@turtlethetaffer said:

they'll probably just do another Nintendo Direct.

Yeah, but it sucks. It's fine for me, because i can check it out. But as a business decision it's stupid

MirkoS77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By MirkoS77
@Jacanuk said:

@MirkoS77 said:
@Jacanuk said:

Ummmm....

Unbelievable.

You mean another Zelda in a long line on Zelda is a wow factor? im sorry but another new Zelda is almost like Activision announcing a new Call of Duty or EA announcing another FIFA, its so expected that its just a question of when and not if, also you know about so why should they announce it again at E3?. But Nintendo is creating their own hype now, if Nintendo said "yep another E3 with us" noone on this forum would have made a thread about it or even considered it newsworthy.

Also i think your mistaken Nintendo isn't saying they won't do any PC at all, they are just saying "F E3, we can create enough hype and interest on our own" and we can do it for a fraction of the E3 cost.

So i cannot understand how you even can question the logic of not being at E3 for Nintendo, and not competing for the spotlight with all the other big companies.

I can question it because it's illogical.

The announcement of a new mainline Zelda game is a massive event that always garners huge amounts of attention Nintendo's way. It's nothing like CoD or FIFA, of which we see annual releases. They should announce it at E3 because E3 is a hype machine, and that one single game can easily put up a fight with Sony and MS even if Nintendo didn't have much else to show and MS and Sony had multiple titles.

Nintendo has shown to be incapable of creating its own hype. They don't know how to market, or simply don't care to. They may be saving money in the short-term by forgoing a PC, but in the long-term it will hurt them, because as I said, it's a lacking display of confidence at a time when confidence is badly needed. People wouldn't have created a thread had Nintendo had one because it's to be expected (though I have seen a few threads in Nintendo forums wondering whether they'd show this year). But for them to be in the position they are, in desperate need of all the exposure they can muster, to again decline to get themselves out there and swing their d**ks around, I will never understand. It's business. suicide.

PurpleMan5000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By PurpleMan5000
Member since 2011 • 10531 Posts

@MirkoS77 said:
@Jacanuk said:

Ummmm....

Unbelievable.

I enjoy cheesy things at press conferences, but I also really enjoy cheesy things in the Nintendo Directs, too. The Tomodachi Life and Mario Kart Directs were full of cheese and very well done. The Smash Direct was more straightforward, but also extremely well done. I'm honestly more interested in seeing the next video they put out than I would be to see Iwata and Reggie get up on stage and start talking sales figures while throwing a few game clips in between.

Minishdriveby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#23  Edited By Minishdriveby
Member since 2006 • 10519 Posts

They're still going to be announcing things during E3. If you're on a videogame website, you're not going to miss what Nintendo announces. If you're not on a videogame website, then you'll probably miss most of what Sony and Microsoft announce as well.

MirkoS77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 MirkoS77

@PurpleMan5000 said:

@MirkoS77 said:
@Jacanuk said:

Ummmm....

Unbelievable.

I enjoy cheesy things at press conferences, but I also really enjoy cheesy things in the Nintendo Directs, too. The Tomodachi Life and Mario Kart Directs were full of cheese and very well done. The Smash Direct was more straightforward, but also extremely well done. I'm honestly more interested in seeing the next video they put out than I would be to see Iwata and Reggie get up on stage and start talking sales figures while throwing a few game clips in between.

As I've said, Nintendo Directs are boring, lifeless events. Someone else mentioned this in another thread (or site, I forget) that said Directs were akin to weather reports. Spot on. Iwata is quite possibly the worst presenter possible, but at least with a PC his dullness can be somewhat compensated for by audience reactions. Presentation is everything.

I love live events. I like the unpredictability of not only what's being presented, but of the audience. It feels exclusive, spontaneous, exciting, even if they **** up. A prerecorded show has none of this. It's calculated, cold, and dead. Nintendo claims to be a company all about fun, yet they do everything they can to remove themselves from a large part of what makes it so. Even if they show great games, to not get up onstage and get excited themselves which translates into the crowd's excitement is a mistake. Instead, it's "here's what we have, enjoy". It's BORING.

Again, I wonder about people who cannot grasp the draw that live presentations can have on so many. Why don't we just get rid of marketing altogether? What's the point? Let's just all have brochures mailed to us. The new Nintendo way.

Minishdriveby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#25  Edited By Minishdriveby
Member since 2006 • 10519 Posts

@MirkoS77: How many people actually watch the live shows outside of the individuals on game forums? Most people get excited when they see/hear a new game they want has been announced after the fact.