Next GS's 10 score: Resident Evil 5?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

julianozuca

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 60

User Lists: 0

#1 julianozuca
Member since 2006 • 1944 Posts

Don't you think that after blockbusters such as Metal Gear Solid 4 and GTA IV got a 10 score, RE5 is the next in the row?

I think that's a good formula for the developers: to pick a highly popular game series and make the gamers become anxious for the next sequel instead of releasing 3 games a year. Forums start running wild, so they can see what the audience is expecting and then refine the game to a near-perfection level. And they can also get some respect from the press this way.

Halo 3 contradicts me, though... (talking about GS)

darksword1123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 darksword1123
Member since 2004 • 30121 Posts
Gran Turismo 5.
nopalversion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 nopalversion
Member since 2005 • 4757 Posts
Spore is up next.
Vadoc81

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#4 Vadoc81
Member since 2008 • 541 Posts
Little Big Planet.
giyanks22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#5 giyanks22
Member since 2007 • 209 Posts
Starcraft II. Spore is way too diferent, and is the first in a series (Metal of Gear Solid 4) (GTAIV). Or maybe Gears of War II. For a while Gears of War was the highest rated game until Crysis. I think Starcraft II or Gears of War II. I'll through Fable II in there, but I doubt it.
haterex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 haterex
Member since 2004 • 2410 Posts
Starcraft 2 or Final Fantasy 13...
Avatar image for TheLegendKnight
TheLegendKnight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#7 TheLegendKnight
Member since 2007 • 1853 Posts

re5 a 10 ?

its not possible i think... its re4 with prettier graphics... from what we saw in trailers...

i dont think any 10 game in near future...

nopalversion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 nopalversion
Member since 2005 • 4757 Posts
Yeah, I don't see RE5 as a ten, unless they manage to stage everything so perfectly and not repeat themselves.
CarnageHeart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 CarnageHeart
Member since 2002 • 18316 Posts
I happened to greatly enjoy the two games that have gotten 10s from reviewers this year, but reviews are an art, not a science, so I pay little attention to numerical scores and a lot of attention to reviewers' takes on a game's strengths and weaknesses.
SteelAttack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 SteelAttack
Member since 2005 • 10520 Posts

I happened to greatly enjoy the two games that have gotten 10s from reviewers this year, but reviews are an art, not a science, so I pay little attention to numerical scores and a lot of attention to reviewers' takes on a game's strengths and weaknesses.CarnageHeart

This is something that can't be stressed enough. I respect anyone giving any amount of weight into reviews, whatever their source might be, but it puzzles me to watch people focusing only in the score, and never looking past the numerical value and into the review itself.

Avatar image for MetalGear_Ninty
MetalGear_Ninty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#11 MetalGear_Ninty
Member since 2008 • 6337 Posts

I personally doubt RE5 will get a 10, from what we've seen so far, the gameplay seems very similar to RE4, also what amazed everybody about RE4 is that it had that utter wow and surprise factor -- that's completely gone now.

julianozuca

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 julianozuca

I happened to greatly enjoy the two games that have gotten 10s from reviewers this year, but reviews are an art, not a science, so I pay little attention to numerical scores and a lot of attention to reviewers' takes on a game's strengths and weaknesses.CarnageHeart

I don't pay that attention to the scores either, but you know the industry and most of the players (and fans) do.

I even think it's much harder for a reviewer to give a 10 than a 9.5, since there are few games that reached that score. The shadows of Ocarina of Time or Chrono Cross keep asking you "are you shure?"...

TristanShand

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 TristanShand
Member since 2008 • 1400 Posts

I agree with Resident Evil 5.

I hope Starcraft 2 gets canned before release, that over purple pile of mess. As for spore, I would rather spit in a jar and watch that evolve. I hope it flops then the team dies from a sudden outbreak of Sars.

I'm so happy.

julianozuca

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 julianozuca

re5 a 10 ?

its not possible i think... its re4 with prettier graphics... from what we saw in trailers...

i dont think any 10 game in near future...

TheLegendKnight

I think it can, because it's a blockbuster that go beyond gaming universe (and they're putting a lot of money in it), because Africa can be a pretty interesting site of action if well exploited in the plot (controversy aside), and because Capcom can always bring good surprises.

You can see that even the 2-year-late Resident Evil 4: Wii Edition got a 9.1 score...

Ravirr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#15 Ravirr
Member since 2004 • 7931 Posts
With the way GS now, any highly anticpated game that is made above average will get a perfect 10.
giyanks22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 giyanks22

[QUOTE="CarnageHeart"]I happened to greatly enjoy the two games that have gotten 10s from reviewers this year, but reviews are an art, not a science, so I pay little attention to numerical scores and a lot of attention to reviewers' takes on a game's strengths and weaknesses.SteelAttack

This is something that can't be stressed enough. I respect anyone giving any amount of weight into reviews, whatever their source might be, but it puzzles me to watch people focusing only in the score, and never looking past the numerical value and into the review itself.

I know. They should only tell you a games numerical rating at the end of a review. That's what I loved about Greg Kasavin, and Jeff Gertzman: they didn't have general numbers like 9.5 or 9 they had 9.1 9.2 8.7 9.4 9.7 , and their reviews were between 8 and 12 minutes. They gave a very detailed review, and an even more detailed score. Now they just say stuff for MOST games (not GTA IV or MGS4), and what they say doesn't give a clear picture about the game.

ruffluffs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#17 ruffluffs
Member since 2008 • 1033 Posts
It wouldn't be surprising It will probably get at least a 9. but I kinda feel they are handing out perfect scores too easily I mean a 10 implies that the game is perfect and lets be perfectly honest nothing is perfect. but I guess its better than giving it a 9.6. a 9.6 is so close to a 10 you might as well give it one but whos to say a game that scores .4 points higher is really that much better
giyanks22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 giyanks22
It wouldn't be surprising It will probably get at least a 9. but I kinda feel they are handing out perfect scores too easily I mean a 10 implies that the game is perfect and lets be perfectly honest nothing is perfect. but I guess its better than giving it a 9.6. a 9.6 is so close to a 10 you might as well give it one but whos to say a game that scores .4 points higher is really that much betterruffluffs
In Gamespot's description of a "10" it says the game is perfect by the era's standards. I guess MGS4 and GTAIV were the best games anyone could make by today's standards. I don't have a PS3, so no MGS4, and I never liked GTA
bytgames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 bytgames
Member since 2008 • 1030 Posts

It wouldn't be surprising It will probably get at least a 9. but I kinda feel they are handing out perfect scores too easily I mean a 10 implies that the game is perfect and lets be perfectly honest nothing is perfect. but I guess its better than giving it a 9.6. a 9.6 is so close to a 10 you might as well give it one but whos to say a game that scores .4 points higher is really that much betterruffluffs

a 10 does not mean perfect

DrCortex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 DrCortex
Member since 2008 • 185 Posts
Doubtful to say the least.
Toriko42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 45

#21 Toriko42
Member since 2006 • 27562 Posts
I personally believe RE5 can do it quite easily

RE4 was amazingly close with 9.6 at the time it came out which was unprecedented at it's time.

The graphics, action, and gameplay of RE5 look amazing and it looks to make the survival horror genre reach a pinnacle.
julianozuca

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 julianozuca

With the way GS now, any highly anticpated game that is made above average will get a perfect 10. Ravirr

That's in my account too. RE5 can fullfil those requirements...

Poshkidney

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#23 Poshkidney
Member since 2006 • 3803 Posts
Meh i don't think it will that good but these are only opinons and peopel make there own
ishoturface

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 64

#24 ishoturface
Member since 2007 • 12460 Posts

i really doubt that Re5 will get a ten

Im thinking it might GOW2

Avatar image for Grammaton-Cleric
Grammaton-Cleric

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Grammaton-Cleric
Member since 2002 • 7515 Posts

With the way GS now, any highly anticpated game that is made above average will get a perfect 10. Ravirr

Really? Ninja Gaiden II only scored an 8.0 here on GS. Army of Two couldn't even break a 7. (Although I personally hated that particular review)

GTAIV and MGS4 have actually scored 10's at many, many other credible sites and magazines so your assertion that GS is becoming lax in their reviews really isn't supported by logic.

Personally, I would have scored them both 10 as well.

skyyfox1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 35

#26 skyyfox1
Member since 2003 • 13015 Posts
no.. gears of war 2 will get the next 10.0
aaaaarrrrggggg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 aaaaarrrrggggg
Member since 2005 • 13979 Posts
We know far to little about the game to even begin making assumptions about its score. It will probably depend on how many improvements have been made to the lacking portions in RE4 and the fine-tuning. Hopefully they paid attention to any negative criticisms it received and fixed the few that stopped the game from being perfect. It will probably get a perfect score if they went up and beyond the level that was achieved with its predecessor.
doomsoth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#28 doomsoth
Member since 2003 • 10094 Posts
I hope that give it to a new IP like Spore; I know GTA IV shouldn't be a 10, but I dunno about MGS 4.
Avatar image for Grammaton-Cleric
Grammaton-Cleric

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Grammaton-Cleric
Member since 2002 • 7515 Posts

I hope that give it to a new IP like Spore; I know GTA IV shouldn't be a 10, but I dunno about MGS 4.doomsoth

If GTAIV can't be considered a 10 then nothing else should be either. The game had its issues, like all games, but it's still an amazing game on pretty much every level.

And MGS4 is also worthy of a 10.

That said, I've played a few other games this generation that I wouldn't have minded seeing earn a 10 also because frankly, I don't think a score of 10 should be impossible to achieve.

et3rnal_d00m

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 et3rnal_d00m
Member since 2008 • 38 Posts
i hope fallout 3 is completely awesome and it scores a 10. I think for a game to score a 10 it should be flawless in every way.
BladesOfAthena

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 BladesOfAthena
Member since 2008 • 3938 Posts

[QUOTE="doomsoth"]I hope that give it to a new IP like Spore; I know GTA IV shouldn't be a 10, but I dunno about MGS 4.Grammaton-Cleric

If GTAIV can't be considered a 10 then nothing else should be either. The game had its issues, like all games, but it's still an amazing game on pretty much every level.

And MGS4 is also worthy of a 10.

That said, I've played a few other games this generation that I wouldn't have minded seeing earn a 10 also because frankly, I don't think a score of 10 should be impossible to achieve.

Indeed. After all, what's the point of having a 10 there if you're not going to use it.