Next Gears of War to be revealed at E3. How many Gears of War games do we need?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

S0lidSnake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 0

#1 S0lidSnake
Member since 2002 • 29001 Posts

Gameinformer is teasing a Gears of War game to be revelead at the MS press conference at E3. It will be released on the 360. You would think MS would save it for next gen.

KZYEC.jpg

Maybe it's a Kinect game?

Usually, we like to reveal the name and final cover art for our upcoming issue's cover story the Thursday before it hits subscribers. This time we're saving the full unveiling of the game's title until Monday during Microsoft's E3 press conference, but we can confirm that our next cover is the new installment in the Gears of War series and is coming to Xbox 360. We figure this news and a glimpse of the shrouded Gears of War cover are least some consolation, as the image raises some interesting questions: Who is in chains, and where?

Take your time trying to decipher clues about the next game in the Gears of War universe, andcheck back on Monday when we fully pull back the curtain on both (yes, we said "both") of our covers.Also waiting for you on Monday is a teaser trailer jammed with sneak peeks at our month of online Gears of War coverage. As always, you can learn more about Epic's new game in the following weeks with a wealth of online videos, articles, and interviews that will populate our upcoming Gears of War hub, including an exclusive and extensive first look here at Game Informer that hits Monday morning. You don't want to miss it.

Our world exclusive first look at next game in the Gears of War franchise isn't the only story worth diving into in our July issue. Get a sneak peek at the splendor of the next console generation with our in-depth article on Epic's Unreal Engine 4. Get ready for Call of Duty: Black Ops II with our extensive feature detailing the game's intense, globe-hopping campaign. We also have a new look at the long-awaited Tomb Raider reboot, along with The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim ? Dawnguard and some exciting new projects that will be announced next week.

In this upcoming issue we also catch up with Robert Bowling and discuss the first game from his new studio, Robotoki. Ex-Infinity Ward heads Jason Ward and Vince Zampella also reveal more on their side of the Activision/Call of Duty drama and their future endeavors.

Look for the July issue to hit mailboxes and newsstands in the coming weeks, or click here to subscribe or convert your existing physical subscription and get access to the digital edition when it goes live on June 4 ? we might even have a new surprise on Monday for digital subscribers as well.GameINformer

DarkCatalyst

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 DarkCatalyst
Member since 2002 • 20972 Posts
Maybe next gen isn't coming so quickly for MS.
dalger21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#3 dalger21
Member since 2002 • 2231 Posts
Considering I haven't finished GoW3, I probably won't pick this up right away.
Prince_Rhymz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Prince_Rhymz
Member since 2012 • 107 Posts
Great way to milk the cash cow? Say the series has ended then develop a suprise prologue. Mark my words
SteelAttack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 SteelAttack
Member since 2005 • 10520 Posts
Why save it for a next-gen that is nothing but a blurry idea right now? MS will try to ride on 360 sales for as long as people keep buying the thing. This could be an effort to reignite sales during the final months of the system before its sucessor hits.
CarnageHeart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 CarnageHeart
Member since 2002 • 18316 Posts

I got rid of my X360 before Gears 2 hit, but I had a lot of fun with the original Gears. Worse franchises have gone 'yearly'.

Avatar image for Shame-usBlackley
Shame-usBlackley

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#8 Shame-usBlackley
Member since 2002 • 18266 Posts

Gears of War is a hardcore-oriented third-person shooter. I seriously don't see it being paired up with an inaccurate piece of sh!t like Kinect, but then again, this IS Microsoft, which seems to have its head up its ass these days, so anything is possible.

As for Gears, I think it's still a good series, but the last game's campaign was uninspired and flabby due to the co-op designed levels. I think Epic is slowly veering back into being a company whose forte is multiplayer, which is fine for most of the mouth-breathers that only want that sh!t, but not so much for those of us who still value single-player experiences. So for me, they're not as much of a top-tier company as they were back when they released the first Gears.

brucecambell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 brucecambell
Member since 2011 • 1489 Posts

There was a GOW kinect game in the making at one point & then months ago it was announced that it was cancelled. Maybe MS picked it back up & decided to finish it? I mean what else could it be.

If its a full GOW game i dont see it being developed by EPIC. They only just finished GOW3 off last year. They woouldnt have time to put something together so quickly for one & two they stated they were done with the GOW series for now.

I also remember Clffy talking about what he would want from the GOW series had they handed it over to another developer. This may be that game.

Metamania

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#10 Metamania
Member since 2002 • 12035 Posts

I'm worried. As fun as Gears is with friends, it can get very boring, very repetitve in a very quick manner.

I'm not sure what they can do to freshen up the series at this point.

S0lidSnake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 S0lidSnake

Why save it for a next-gen that is nothing but a blurry idea right now? MS will try to ride on 360 sales for as long as people keep buying the thing. This could be an effort to reignite sales during the final months of the system before its sucessor hits. SteelAttack

Why not? They need 360 owners and Gears fans to pick up the next Xbox and giving them Halo 4 and this new Gears is not going to do it. I dont understand why they need to reignite sales of a platform that they should be prepping for bed.

That said, gaf is saying this is a new prequel trilogy made by the guys who did Bulletstorm under Epic. So maybe it's not a bad idea to get people hooked with the first games of the trilogy of both Halo and Gears, and then have them finish the fight on the next gen 360.

S0lidSnake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 S0lidSnake

There was a GOW kinect game in the making at one point & then months ago it was announced that it was cancelled. Maybe MS picked it back up & decided to finish it? I mean what else could it be.

If its a full GOW game i dont see it being developed by EPIC. They only just finished GOW3 off last year. They woouldnt have time to put something together so quickly for one & two they stated they were done with the GOW series for now.

I also remember Clffy talking about what he would want from the GOW series had they handed it over to another developer. This may be that game.

brucecambell

Gears 3 was done way back in 2010. They pushed it back to April 2011 for marketing reasons, then again to September for marketing reasons. So technically Epic has been working on something new for a good year and a half now.

It is definitely not this new Gears though. People Can Fly, the developer of Bulletstorm, is supposedly working on a prequel trilogy for Epic. It's owned by Epic so CliffyB will be overseeing the development if I had to guess.

gago-gago

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#13 gago-gago
Member since 2009 • 12138 Posts
In my opinion Gears is one of the best third person shooter game and its one of the best co-op. I don't mind getting more Gears since I'm far from being sick of it. It's not like I'm forced to play every game in a franchise.
Avatar image for apocalypsehorse
apocalypsehorse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 apocalypsehorse
Member since 2010 • 417 Posts

prequel.

DJ_Lae

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 73

#15 DJ_Lae
Member since 2002 • 42748 Posts
In my opinion Gears is one of the best third person shooter game and its one of the best co-op. I don't mind getting more Gears since I'm far from being sick of it. It's not like I'm forced to play every game in a franchise.gago-gago
Yeah I have shooter fatigue this generation but Gears of War is one of the few I can actually stomach, let alone enjoy. Also, there have been just as many Halo games this generation, more Resistances, more Killzones (including spinoffs), more Call of Duties, etc. Gears isn't doing anything new here.
Metamania

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Metamania

[QUOTE="brucecambell"]

S0lidSnake

Gears 3 was done way back in 2010. They pushed it back to April 2011 for marketing reasons, then again to September for marketing reasons. So technically Epic has been working on something new for a good year and a half now.

It is definitely not this new Gears though. People Can Fly, the developer of Bulletstorm, is supposedly working on a prequel trilogy for Epic. It's owned by Epic so CliffyB will be overseeing the development if I had to guess.

But again, will it be a good game that's full of variety or still the same? Lately, I've had enough of Gears...so worried that it will stagnate at this point.

GodModeEnabled

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#17 GodModeEnabled
Member since 2005 • 15314 Posts
The same game series year after year after year is getting tiring.
Jbul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#18 Jbul
Member since 2007 • 4838 Posts

I agree with Shameus about the Gears 3 campaign. It was well-done, but lacked that "special something" that made Gears 1 and 2 owning for the single-player experiences. The multiplayer was easily best-in-series, though.

I don't see Gears as being as played out as some franchises at this point, Killzone, Uncharted, Resistance etc, have been far more milked. Probably a rental for me, this game.

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#19 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 44485 Posts
Awesome! I love this franchise and definitely want to see more of it. A prequel certainly makes sense given all the Pendulum Wars backstory that was in the previous games. Really looking forward to seeing more of this game.
Overlord93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Overlord93
Member since 2007 • 12602 Posts
The gears kinect game was scrapped, so it's not that. I would put my money on it being a prequal. But those look an awful lot like onyx guards and the main silhouette is very similar to, and certainly looks like Prescott
Avatar image for JayQproductions
JayQproductions

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 JayQproductions
Member since 2007 • 1806 Posts

why would they save it for next gen when the average game takes about 2 years to make and next gen consoles wont be out for another 2 years at least. I just hope it's something different from the previous Gears games and not the same hide and seek shotgun fest.

S0lidSnake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 S0lidSnake

I don't see Gears as being as played out as some franchises at this point, Killzone, Uncharted, Resistance etc, have been far more milked. Probably a rental for me, this game.

Jbul

It's too soon to reveal another sequel when we've just had one released barely six months ago. THat's what makes it seem played out.

Also, this will be the fourth entry of Gears this gen. Uncharted has had 3, and it's likely done at this point. Same with Resistance. Killzone has had 2, hardly milked.

If I see Sony release any more sequels to those franchises for this gen, i'd be just as annoyed.

DJ_Lae

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 73

#23 DJ_Lae
Member since 2002 • 42748 Posts

If I see Sony release any more sequels to those franchises for this gen, i'd be just as annoyed.

S0lidSnake
They kind of are, though. Killzone also has Liberation and an upcoming Vita version, and Resistance has Retribution and Burning Skies. Microsoft has no handheld to saturate with spinoff Gears games, I suppose, but still.
Nicko2580

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Nicko2580
Member since 2012 • 76 Posts
I want another Gears game. What I don't want is the story that's been laid out to be messed with any more. I think Marcus' story has been wrapped up nicely. A prequel would be okay I suppose but really, do good games these days ALWAYS have to have prequels? I'd like to see a gears game focusing on different characters fighting different parts of the war. New characters, new story. Maybe interweaving with the original plot a little bit, enough to give the sense that you're all fighting the same war.
Avatar image for deactivated-59b71619573a1
deactivated-59b71619573a1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 deactivated-59b71619573a1
Member since 2007 • 38222 Posts

Another one? already?

DrTheme

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 DrTheme
Member since 2012 • 32 Posts
This is to be expected, Its MS's answer to God of war ascension, never the less I'am excited.
Everiez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Everiez
Member since 2006 • 1946 Posts

Until they can do proper TPS with proper bosses fight and good story like Binary Domain but don't copy BD's MP mode.

Venom951

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Venom951
Member since 2012 • 389 Posts
I could see a next gen launch title or even a Expansion to gears 3 cause there's still a lot of story to cover .
campzor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 campzor
Member since 2004 • 34932 Posts
awesome stuff.. only franchise i love on my 360
klusps

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 53

#32 klusps
Member since 2005 • 10386 Posts

I thought they fleshed out everything they had after Gears of War 3. Don't know what else they would do with the series and here's the point where I get franchise fatigue.

Metamania

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Metamania

Apparently, the people who were responsible for Bulletstorm is handling the next Gears Of War game. Next thing you know, we'll have to play the game with a system designed for whoever gets the best kills and earns the highest points based on their creativity! Yay...

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 44485 Posts

Apparently, the people who were responsible for Bulletstorm is handling the next Gears Of War game. Next thing you know, we'll have to play the game with a system designed for whoever gets the best kills and earns the highest points based on their creativity! Yay...

Metamania
You know that wouldn't bother me at all, Bulletstorm was an excellent game. I'm really looking forward to what kind of Gears of War game these guys cook up.
HugoStiglitz03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#35 HugoStiglitz03
Member since 2012 • 25 Posts
I don't mean to rant, but gears of war 3 is horrible. There are literally 5 different types of guns. The gameplay is pathetically one-dimensional and the only thing I look forward to when playing is executing someone with a lancer. Hopefully they improve the game or make something better.
Venom_Raptor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 124

#36 Venom_Raptor
Member since 2010 • 6959 Posts

I'm very much looking forward to it, but I think it will be released this gen, possible late 2013/eary 2014.

theonlylolking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 theonlylolking
Member since 2010 • 152 Posts

I'm worried. As fun as Gears is with friends, it can get very boring, very repetitve in a very quick manner.

I'm not sure what they can do to freshen up the series at this point.

Metamania
Change the gameplay but then it won't be gears.
megadeth1117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 megadeth1117
Member since 2010 • 1830 Posts

http://kotaku.com/5915054/baird-and-cole-trane-will-be-back-in-gears-of-war-judgement

original.jpg

Avatar image for ratchet_ruler88
ratchet_ruler88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 ratchet_ruler88
Member since 2005 • 535 Posts

If they are making another Gears that is a prequel, it should be the last one, otherwise it'll end up getting stale. Where would they go with more sequals, 3 ended it well.

Rattlesnake_8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

#40 Rattlesnake_8
Member since 2004 • 18452 Posts
I read somewhere that they will be having this one on 360 and it's sequel on next gen. Of course without the next gen even being officially talked about it's all just rumors. I still have to play through Gears 1 and 2, let alone 3 and then this one.
Avatar image for MaverickOutcast
MaverickOutcast

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#41 MaverickOutcast
Member since 2011 • 76 Posts

In my opinion Gears is one of the best third person shooter game and its one of the best co-op. I don't mind getting more Gears since I'm far from being sick of it. It's not like I'm forced to play every game in a franchise.gago-gago

Same Here, Gears to me is one of the only shooters that doesn't get "stale" after a few plays. :P

Vari3ty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Vari3ty
Member since 2009 • 11111 Posts

Rarely do I feel the need to play a prequel... and this case is no exception.

Swanogt19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#43 Swanogt19
Member since 2008 • 24159 Posts
Only played the first one