New to Dark Souls, which to get? Dark Souls II or SOTFS

This topic is locked from further discussion.

GodsMinion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#1  Edited By GodsMinion
Member since 2017 • 2 Posts

Hi guys/girls,

I'm completly new to Dark Souls and was wondering which of the two I should get? Since my computer can't run Dark Souls 3.

I'm not bothered about the graphics side of things because I can only run minimum settings in SOTFS anyway.

Are there any differences between the two? Apart from the dlc's are included in the SOTFS edition.

I heard SOTFS harder too? will that be alright for a newb?

Thanks

Avatar image for turtlethetaffer
turtlethetaffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 144

User Lists: 0

#2 turtlethetaffer
Member since 2009 • 18973 Posts

You want my honest opinion, get the first game instead. 2 is a great game, but 1 is infinitely more well designed in terms of fair challenge. 1 is constantly throwing new things your way to change things up. 2 primarily just throws groups of enemies at you. Plus 1 will train you for the rest of the series.

That being said, if you're dead set on getting only the second game, I'd say go with Scholar, as it's the "complete" version of the game although, yes, I have heard it's more difficult than vanilla.

DivineSword

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By DivineSword  Moderator
Member since 2007 • 15840 Posts

Go with Scholar because the dlc itself is better than anything you find in the main game. It's not really that much harder, the only thing that makes it more frustrating is some of the enemies placement in weird spots. Also you can summon a third player in scholar edition, where else there is only two summon spot in the original.

henrythefifth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#4 henrythefifth
Member since 2016 • 2502 Posts

SotLS is lot better, because it is easier to grind in it during the opening hours. Theyve added some bigger enemies to early areas and they keep dropping quality stuff for you as well as give lotsa xp when you keep killing them over and over again (just make sure you get the covenant so that they do not stop respawning when you do this grind)

Also Scholars allow you more freedom as to your paths through the game. In the original, you cannot open certain petrified path untill later, but in the scholar you can actually buy the thingy that cures petrification early on, so can unlock that particular path very early.

Mind you, you need to know what youre doing to take advantages of these changes.

locus-solus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 locus-solus
Member since 2013 • 1560 Posts

if you get dark souls 1 just make sure you look into dark soul fix and dark souls connectivity mod.

RSM-HQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 94

User Lists: 1

#6  Edited By RSM-HQ
Member since 2009 • 11687 Posts

@godsminion: The original game (Dark Souls) gets the series appeal more in your face right up front so you know what you're in for and if you'll enjoy the positive aspects.

While I enjoy Dark Souls II it has a pretty rough couple of hours and especially early-on seems to disregard the series liked appeal. No means a bad game, and even the original has many negatives, yet DkSII stumbles more than any game in the series so can be an issue if you're making it your first game in the franchise.

If you can commit to the long haul for DkSII the experience will be roughly equal to the original game, but it still misses some of the appeal of DkS.

Khazrak134

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

#7  Edited By Khazrak134
Member since 2008 • 178 Posts

Get Dark Souls 1. The consensus is that its the stronger game. A lot of people, including me feel like Dark Souls 2 kinda misses the point of what a Souls Game is.

lucidique

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 150

#8 lucidique
Member since 2003 • 791 Posts

@Khazrak134 said:

Get Dark Souls 1. The consensus is that its the stronger game. A lot of people, including me feel like Dark Souls 2 kinda misses the point of what a Souls Game is.

I don't know. I played the first and am now going trough Scholar, and I have to say they are both pretty stellar souls games.

Scholar also happens to hold up pretty well, visually.

Man I love the Souls games.