This topic is locked from further discussion.

hells_zargon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

User Lists: 0

#1 hells_zargon
Member since 2005 • 596 Posts
I didn't know where to look first, so I thought I'd ask around here at the same time as breaking my many months of total inactivity. My N64 seems to have suddenly stopped working over the 6 months since I last used it. It hasn't been damaged at all, it's just been sat around in a cupboard doing nothing. Today I connected it up as usual but when I switched on the power it remained dead, no lit red LED at the front or anything. I've tried changing the fuse, using different sockets, moving the power pack around in the socket to try and get a better connection, quickly cleaning the connectors and taking controllers / cartridges in and out but nothing has worked so far. Just wondering if anyone had any idea of what the problem might possibly be, or have had this happen to them. It's looking more and more like the thing is dead for good though, I checked to see whether the power was actually reaching the console properly and it is, so it does seem to be some kind of internal hardware failure. Although I'm still hoping that it isn't, not given up hope yet!
JetLagz28

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 JetLagz28
Member since 2004 • 646 Posts

At the moment all you can really do is keep trying different variations, once you remove human error from the list of causes, then you are left with a dead N64. Even if this is the case, a used N64 is cheap to come by.

kemar7856

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#3 kemar7856
Member since 2004 • 11783 Posts
I know I should'nt be saying this on here but since u own the system It seems alright. you can always try emulation on your pc but just get games that you own for legal reasons:P
z4twenny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#4 z4twenny
Member since 2006 • 4898 Posts
^ PC emulation of N64 games isn't very good. not a whole lot of games are supported real well (i hope demonizing emulation isn't against the TOS since it is technically speaking of it)
JetLagz28

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#5 JetLagz28
Member since 2004 • 646 Posts

^ PC emulation of N64 games isn't very good. not a whole lot of games are supported real well (i hope demonizing emulation isn't against the TOS since it is technically speaking of it) z4twenny

So long as you only play the games you physically own.

dd99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#6 dd99
Member since 2003 • 2095 Posts

[QUOTE="z4twenny"]^ PC emulation of N64 games isn't very good. not a whole lot of games are supported real well (i hope demonizing emulation isn't against the TOS since it is technically speaking of it) JetLagz28

So long as you only play the games you physically own.

That is not true. By opening the game box and running the cartridge/cd in the game box, you agree to the licence on the game manual, which explicitly states that you may not make copies or duplicates of the game for any reason.So playing games you phisicaly own on a emulator is illegal unless you were to find a way to plug the cartrige/cd into your computer and not make a dump of it.

If you want legal emulating, go to the PS store, Wii virtual console, xbox live arcade, or gametap/anyother paytoplay emulating services for.

As for the OP, I'm sorry that has happened to you pal, only-thing I can suggest is maybe the led burnt out, thus cutting the circuit for the rest of the console. A replacement might work, or it could be something simple like a collection of dust, open the system up and use compressed air or some other strong blowing device to remove the dust. Dust is one of the main causes of system failure besides physical damage or worn out parts.

hells_zargon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

#7 hells_zargon
Member since 2005 • 596 Posts
I've tried emulation once before in the past but I've found it to be an unreliable mess for the mostpart, so I refrain from usuing it. Along with that my computer is on the blink, so I don't think it would really cope all that well. On top of that I'd rather not spend much money on the Wii VC, partly because they have a limited number of titles available, partly because it's a total rip-off. Anyway, thanks for the advice. I'll try cleaning out the insides the best I can when I have the chance and see what happens then. Fingers crossed!
gokuofheaven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#8 gokuofheaven
Member since 2004 • 3452 Posts
This happened to my SNES and it turned out to be the power supply. Opened it up and replaced with new wires and it was working again. In your case it might just be hardware failure, your best bet would be to just buy one on ebay, its dirt cheap now.