MS to charge for new L4D content

This topic is locked from further discussion.

doomsoth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

User Lists: 0

#1 doomsoth
Member since 2003 • 10094 Posts

http://www.bit-tech.net/news/gaming/2009/09/09/ms-forces-valve-to-charge-for-l4d-dlc/1

This is a part of the problem with consoles--they've established the idea that it's ok to charge for anything.

pvtdonut54

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#2 pvtdonut54
Member since 2008 • 8554 Posts

Heh, PCs ftw. 8)

redbaron3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 redbaron3
Member since 2004 • 984 Posts
Glad I own the PC version!
Dragonblade01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4 Dragonblade01
Member since 2004 • 5747 Posts

Well, it's not like it's a "bad" or unexpected thing to charge for additional content. A bit of a disappointment though.

AcidSoldner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 AcidSoldner
Member since 2007 • 7051 Posts

It seems to be only Micro$oft that makes people pay for additional content. Over on the PSN devs are free to release DLC as they see fit; whether it be free or charged.

theharlemshake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 theharlemshake
Member since 2009 • 808 Posts

Well, it's not like it's a "bad" or unexpected thing to charge for additional content. A bit of a disappointment though.

Dragonblade01
Increasing the already very high price of gaming is a bad thing.
Dragonblade01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Dragonblade01

[QUOTE="Dragonblade01"]

theharlemshake

A business is a business is a business.

erawsd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 erawsd
Member since 2002 • 6930 Posts

Dragonblade01

Its definately bad for gamers when a company doesn't want to charge for additional content, and MS forces them to.

Treflis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Treflis
Member since 2004 • 13757 Posts
I feel sorry for the Xbox version owners now. I honestly do.
CyberAltair5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 44

#10 CyberAltair5
Member since 2008 • 1346 Posts

And to enjoy the game you must have LIVE subscription. The PSN is a lesser headache tbh.

UpInFlames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 41

#11 UpInFlames
Member since 2004 • 13301 Posts

[QUOTE="theharlemshake"][QUOTE="Dragonblade01"]

Dragonblade01

Spare us the rhetoric. When the people who created and fully own the content want it to be free, but another party forces them to do otherwise due to their own agenda...it's a bad thing.

Dragonblade01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Dragonblade01

[QUOTE="Dragonblade01"]

[QUOTE="theharlemshake"] Increasing the already very high price of gaming is a bad thing. UpInFlames

Spare us the rhetoric. When the people who created and fully own the content want it to be free, but another party forces them to do otherwise due to their own agenda...it's a bad thing.

It may not be the "preferred" thing, and it may not be a "good" thing, but I can't agree with calling it a "bad" thing. Marketing is a publisher's job afterall.

And before you scream "MS isn't the publisher!" You have to understand that it's the nature of the beast for the console developer to become involved.

UpInFlames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 41

#13 UpInFlames
Member since 2004 • 13301 Posts

You have to understand that it's the nature of the beast for the console developer to become involved.Dragonblade01

What makes you think that I don't understand? Understanding something and disagreeing with it are two completely different things. I do not accept and I do not agree with Microsoft's extreme level of control over its service. They are doing a disservice to their userbase as well as the developers and their fanbase.

erawsd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 erawsd
Member since 2002 • 6930 Posts

[QUOTE="Dragonblade01"]You have to understand that it's the nature of the beast for the console developer to become involved.UpInFlames

What makes you think that I don't understand? Understanding something and disagreeing with it are two completely different things. I do not accept and I do not agree with Microsoft's extreme level of control over its service. They are doing a disservice to their userbase as well as the developers and their fanbase.

Exactly. MS is really just spitting in the face of its customers. Knowing this, I'll think twice before purchasing the 360 port of any game.

-Unreal-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 1

#15 -Unreal-
Member since 2004 • 24650 Posts

I always buy these games on PC but this doesn't sit well for MS.

Mash_Affect

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Mash_Affect
Member since 2008 • 631 Posts

[QUOTE="Dragonblade01"]You have to understand that it's the nature of the beast for the console developer to become involved.UpInFlames

I think MS has done just about everything perfectly this generation, but news like this outrages me. Somehow, MS has tobe given themessagethat this is not acceptable. Sadly, this seems to be one area where a boycott just doesn't work. You can boycott the DLC, but if even one person buys it, MS sees the strategy as a success. Heck, even if no one buys it, it's not really any loss to them.

In this case it's probably up to the developers to let MS know that thissort of bull doesn't pass. To some degree I feel they are partially to blame, as they don't really seem to be putting up much of a fight.

Lone_Recon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#17 Lone_Recon
Member since 2009 • 309 Posts

I saw it coming. Thank goodness I saved some MS points up.

Lone_Recon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#18 Lone_Recon
Member since 2009 • 309 Posts

[QUOTE="UpInFlames"]

[QUOTE="Dragonblade01"]You have to understand that it's the nature of the beast for the console developer to become involved.Mash_Affect

I think MS has done just about everything perfectly this generation, but news like this outrages me. Somehow, MS has tobe given themessagethat this is not acceptable. Sadly, this seems to be one area where a boycott just doesn't work. You can boycott the DLC, but if even one person buys it, MS sees the strategy as a success. Heck, even if no one buys it, it's not really any loss to them.

In this case it's probably up to the developers to let MS know that thissort of bull doesn't pass. To some degree I feel they are partially to blame, as they don't really seem to be putting up much of a fight.

You have a point.

Hexagon_777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Hexagon_777
Member since 2007 • 20348 Posts

Heh, PCs ftw. 8)pvtdonut54

This. The PC is an open platform where many developers can compete with each another. Microsoft, however, has a monopoly with Xbox Live on the Xbox 360 and monopolies are never good for the consumer.

theharlemshake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 theharlemshake
Member since 2009 • 808 Posts

Bingo. I know how the business works, I'm not a Neanderthal, but as the consumer I would imagine in order to secure my purchase the manufacturer/publisher/whatever is somewhat interested in the fact I have to look out for myself and do what's best for my wallet.