Most Annoying Popular Video Game Trends?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Raven87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Raven87
Member since 2003 • 179 Posts

I'd like to post this open question. Why the hell do rubbish ideas get to prosper through out the industry. And which ones really get your goat, case in point the QT event... Why oh why do designers think that these methods of making sure you are engaged in the story of what would otherwise be a cut scene are a good idea, I actually enjoyed them in the earliest incarnation that i know of -Shenmue- but now ugh. I know i'm by no means alone.

But anyway the one that is really bugging me at the moment is the cliffhanger ending (coz about 5 minutes ago [potential spoiler] i just finished crysis [well not that much of a spoiler admittedly]) almost every high budget release i play these days seems deliberately unfinished, i think it started with HL2, but im more than likely wrong.

Any particular trend that you feel like getting irritated over here?

Toriko42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 45

#2 Toriko42
Member since 2006 • 27562 Posts
Checkpoints as opposed to saving anywhere comes to mind
azad_champ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#3 azad_champ
Member since 2005 • 3482 Posts

7H single player pisses me off!

linklb4130

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 linklb4130
Member since 2003 • 1737 Posts
Checkpoints as opposed to saving anywhere comes to mindToriko42
yea, checkpoints were all i could think of.
BoxTrick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 BoxTrick
Member since 2004 • 758 Posts

Less Single Player games, and more multiplayer games.

gamingqueen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 2

#6 gamingqueen
Member since 2004 • 31076 Posts

The heavy focus on graphics in today's games. Because most of them have very short and repetitve game-play and are more about showing the graphical abilities of a system or a game than offering immersive game-play. I also agree with most of what have been mentioned in this topic especially QTEs. I hate QTE with passion that I avoid games with QTE.

FreshDimSum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 FreshDimSum
Member since 2008 • 605 Posts
weak plot & story. yea, im old school.
Bigboi500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#8 Bigboi500
Member since 2007 • 35550 Posts
The focus on FPS's, companies obsessions with turning consoles into PC's, Graphics.
eregol

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 eregol
Member since 2006 • 416 Posts

Cliches

Ice level, Fire level, Space level

Always playing the good guy

gamingqueen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#10 gamingqueen
Member since 2004 • 31076 Posts

Cliches

Ice level, Fire level, Space level

Always playing the good guy

eregol

Cliches are ot trends. It's immoral to play as a bad guy because it's like encouraging people to do immoral acts like killing and stealing.

x_t0rqc-1xd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 x_t0rqc-1xd
Member since 2008 • 216 Posts
.FIFA all series of it since the beginning.
GSU28

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 GSU28
Member since 2007 • 1608 Posts

I'd like to post this open question. Why the hell do rubbish ideas get to prosper through out the industry. And which ones really get your goat, case in point the QT event... Why oh why do designers think that these methods of making sure you are engaged in the story of what would otherwise be a cut scene are a good idea, I actually enjoyed them in the earliest incarnation that i know of -Shenmue- but now ugh. I know i'm by no means alone.

But anyway the one that is really bugging me at the moment is the cliffhanger ending (coz about 5 minutes ago [potential spoiler] i just finished crysis [well not that much of a spoiler admittedly]) almost every high budget release i play these days seems deliberately unfinished, i think it started with HL2, but im more than likely wrong.

Any particular trend that you feel like getting irritated over here?

Raven87

The interactive cutscene is something that pisses me off, developers need to stop taking pages from the God of War playbook and start using that little thing called innovation.

I live in the US but it bothers me to know that Australia will ban anything that isn't essentially the video game equivalent of a PG-13 movie. They need to get their act together.

The fact that Final Fantasy is considered an RPG when you have no say in the progression of the story or your character, which amounts to little more than a slightly interactive movie. If people like these games, fine. They are entitled to their opinions, but Final Fantasy is not an RPG.

$60 games. 'Nuff said.

The media bashing video games without any basis in fact, playing the part of an inquisition whose zealotry is a manifestation of their ignorance. Fox News, die.

Lastly, people being so negative about everything. If a sequel is true to its predecessor then it lacks innovation, if it has evolved even the slightest bit the forums go up in flames about how the developers should all be the victims of gruesome acts of violence. It's disgusting.

Magnol49

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#13 Magnol49
Member since 2007 • 459 Posts

This has been around for a while but always annoys the buhjeezis out of me... -Vehicle sections/levels in FPS's. Usually tacked on, usually have horrific controls (Halo, Prey). If I wanted to play a driving game, I'd play a driving game. The only FPS where I remember vehicles being implemented well and actually enjoyable is Half-Life 2. But the rest of them...ugh.

TristanShand

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 TristanShand
Member since 2008 • 1400 Posts

Checkpoints are good in say, 3rd person action adventure games and FPS because it gives you more sense of danger. You don't want to die! you got to get better at the game to progress, skill and all that. If you just add a feature to save anywhere then you take away all the tension out the game and it's just...crap.

People who can't handle checkpoint system shouldn't be playing skill / twitch games. Go learn Bowl or something, leave my games alone. I don't want your easy mode 'special' person save system.

Avatar image for deactivated-5967f36c08c33
deactivated-5967f36c08c33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 deactivated-5967f36c08c33
Member since 2006 • 15614 Posts
The Guitar Hero and Rock Band fad.
johan1986

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#16 johan1986
Member since 2003 • 4764 Posts
Quicktime events
Killburglar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Killburglar
Member since 2008 • 197 Posts

Checkpoints are good in say, 3rd person action adventure games and FPS because it gives you more sense of danger. You don't want to die! you got to get better at the game to progress, skill and all that. If you just add a feature to save anywhere then you take away all the tension out the game and it's just...crap.

People who can't handle checkpoint system shouldn't be playing skill / twitch games. Go learn Bowl or something, leave my games alone. I don't want your easy mode 'special' person save system.

TristanShand

You know, you could always not save. Just a thought.

allnamestaken

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#18 allnamestaken
Member since 2003 • 6618 Posts
Explosive barrels. They're just getting out of control. Enemies would literally take cover BEHIND them in Battlefield Bad Company. I mean honestly, what is the logic in that?
foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#19 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts
Console online combined with multiplayer being an acceptable excuse for a developer delivering a piss-poor singleplayer.

Console gaming is about plug-n-play and playing with friends in the same room. If I wanted to play games online I would do it on PC. Now that the consoles are becoming more and more like PC's every day, I wouldn't be surprised if next generation you wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the two besides the "consoles" being closed and heavily controlled PC platforms with much less customizablility.
MicWazowski

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 MicWazowski
Member since 2004 • 1704 Posts

The Guitar Hero and Rock Band fad.VGobbsesser

I don't think this is a problem. Those are two franchises. Konami is going to jump in, but they're just trying to jump in on a genre that helped create. So all together, that's... 4-5 Rock band style games. How many first person shooters are there? How many RPGs? If this "fad" can lead to a game that's as good as Rock Band without such lofy demands for money and living room space, I'm all for it.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#21 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts

[QUOTE="VGobbsesser"]The Guitar Hero and Rock Band fad.MicWazowski

I don't think this is a problem. Those are two franchises. Konami is going to jump in, but they're just trying to jump in on a genre that helped create. So all together, that's... 4-5 Rock band style games. How many first person shooters are there? How many RPGs? If this "fad" can lead to a game that's as good as Rock Band without such lofy demands for money and living room space, I'm all for it.

"Help" create? Didn't Konami pretty much create the entire rhythm game genre in Japan?
wasiangamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 wasiangamer
Member since 2008 • 25 Posts

I agree with the checkpoints instead of saving. It gets really frustrating and annoying when you keep dying right before a checkpoint. Sometimes you want to just give up, then you realize that you'll be screwed and have to start at the previous checkpoint if you dont get it done.

I also dont like the fact that companies create games just because they have popular movies/shows. Games that come to mind are Iron Man and Deadliest Catch: Alaskan Storm. I havent really seen a good game that was based on a movie/TV Show. If anyone knows of any, please enlighten me.

MicWazowski

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 MicWazowski
Member since 2004 • 1704 Posts

I agree with the checkpoints instead of saving. It gets really frustrating and annoying when you keep dying right before a checkpoint. Sometimes you want to just give up, then you realize that you'll be screwed and have to start at the previous checkpoint if you dont get it done.

I also dont like the fact that companies create games just because they have popular movies/shows. Games that come to mind are Iron Man and Deadliest Catch: Alaskan Storm. I havent really seen a good game that was based on a movie/TV Show. If anyone knows of any, please enlighten me.

wasiangamer

Goldeneye 007, The Thing, The Warriors, DragonBall Z Budokai 3, Spider-Man 2, South Park...

xosha

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 xosha
Member since 2005 • 32 Posts
Camera angles and gameplay, unless I want to go past 1998, many game desighners want a 2nd person view, shooter and arcade style, and most cant figgure it out, its a hinderance to need to target and deal with a clumsy interface and grafix.
Bloodbath_87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#25 Bloodbath_87
Member since 2008 • 7586 Posts
Yeah, checkpoints are pretty lame. Other than that, I don't like how a lot of games lack a good story now.
TristanShand

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 TristanShand
Member since 2008 • 1400 Posts
[QUOTE="TristanShand"]

Killburglar

You know, you could always not save. Just a thought.

You know if a games too easy, you could always try playing it with your feet, just a thought. You know if you don't like cut scenes, you could always pretend your playing them and squiggle the controller around, just a thought.

No!

Cilindro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Cilindro
Member since 2008 • 60 Posts
I hate it when games have online multiplayer but don't have offline multiplayer. Is it really that hard to include both?
skp_16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#28 skp_16
Member since 2005 • 3854 Posts

Console online combined with multiplayer being an acceptable excuse for a developer delivering a piss-poor singleplayer.

Console gaming is about plug-n-play and playing with friends in the same room. If I wanted to play games online I would do it on PC. Now that the consoles are becoming more and more like PC's every day, I wouldn't be surprised if next generation you wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the two besides the "consoles" being closed and heavily controlled PC platforms with much less customizablility.foxhound_fox

^That because sadly...console online doesn't exist here in my home country.

The #1 thing I hate in this current gen is that online gaming is one of the games' strength. You can;t really enjoy games if you don't play it online.

2nd is that most games are just graphics. Honestly, I'm ok with PS2's graphics. The reason why I bought a new gen is to play great sequels or new title like MGS4 and GTA4, not for enhanced graphics.