Microsoft: 360 is too good, people aren't buying X1

This topic is locked from further discussion.

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 122

User Lists: 2

#1 The_Last_Ride
Member since 2004 • 76371 Posts

This is total bs... People don't want to upgrade because the 360 is too good... Yeah right...

With more than 7 million units sold to date, Sony's PlayStation 4 is the top-selling new console, ahead of Microsoft's Xbox One, which has shipped (not sold) 5 million units to date. In an interview with Forbes, Microsoft chief marketing and strategy officer Yusuf Mehdi laid out some reasons why his console is lagging behind, at least right now.

"It's hard to really assess the gap in sales," Mehdi said. "[Sony is] in many more markets right now than we are. They're in 40+ markets, we're in 13." The PS4 won't have a such a dramatic regional availability advantage for much longer, as the Xbox One will be released in Japan and 25 other regions in September.

Another reason why the Xbox One has fallen behind the PS4 in terms of sales so far is because, according to Mehdi, Xbox 360 owners enjoy their systems more than PlayStation 3 owners do, so they are less inclined to upgrade.

"People have been more satisfied with the Xbox 360 than the PS3, so in that respect people have less of a need to upgrade in the short-term due to regular updates for the Xbox 360," Mehdi said. "We could point to any number of things."

Addressing the impact the Xbox One's new $399 price point could have on the platform's viability going forward, Mehdi said the new price "broadens the appeal and hopefully brings more people to Xbox One sooner." He acknowledged that the original $499 price point was too steep an asking price for some gamers.

For more on this week's major Microsoft news, be sure to read GameSpot's staff editorial about how the Xbox One's new $399 price point will affect the ongoing console war.

Avatar image for speedfreak48t5p
speedfreak48t5p

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 62

User Lists: 0

#2 speedfreak48t5p
Member since 2009 • 14419 Posts

But the 360 is too good though. I have no desire for a new console yet since I still have games to play.

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 The_Last_Ride

@speedfreak48t5p said:

But the 360 is too good though. I have no desire for a new console yet since I still have games to play.

Xbox 360 had one exclusive last year. One exclusive, while PS3 got games like Last of Us, Rain, Puppetteer, MLB The Show, Ni No Kuni, Gran Turismo, etc. So i am way more happy with my PS3 than my 360, i haven't touched that in a year.

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#4 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 44313 Posts

Well I must say that the 360 was pretty damn awesome, it was my main console for the entirety of last gen. I absolutely loved the Microsoft exclusives, most are my favourite games. Still I'm extremely satisfied with the Xbox One and once Halo and Gears of War hit it'll be even better.

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 The_Last_Ride

@Archangel3371 said:

Well I must say that the 360 was pretty damn awesome, it was my main console for the entirety of last gen. I absolutely loved the Microsoft exclusives, most are my favourite games. Still I'm extremely satisfied with the Xbox One and once Halo and Gears of War hit it'll be even better.

I loved the 360 aswell, it just started to suck after 2011 for my part

Pffrbt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#6  Edited By Pffrbt
Member since 2010 • 6612 Posts

The 360 is a terrible console and so is the Xbone. Pretty sure that's why people aren't buying it.

Avatar image for Black_Knight_00
Black_Knight_00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#7 Black_Knight_00
Member since 2007 • 77 Posts
@The_Last_Ride said:

@Archangel3371 said:

Make that 2010

speedfreak48t5p

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By speedfreak48t5p

@Pffrbt said:

The 360 is a terrible console and so is the Xbone. Pretty sure that's why people aren't buying it.

Can't wait to hear your thoughts on the PS3, since it's basically the same thing.

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 The_Last_Ride

@Black_Knight_00 said:
@The_Last_Ride said:

@Archangel3371 said:

Make that 2010

Well for me personally Forza Horizon/Forza 4 were the last great games on it

Pffrbt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Pffrbt

@speedfreak48t5p said:

Can't wait to hear your thoughts on the PS3, since it's basically the same thing.

PS3 is a pretty decent console though.

branketra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 9

#11  Edited By branketra
Member since 2006 • 51726 Posts

I guess Microsoft needs a reminder.

I would say the amount of core games is directly related to console use.

Behardy24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#12  Edited By Behardy24
Member since 2014 • 5324 Posts

@speedfreak48t5p said:

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 The_Last_Ride

@BranKetra: exactly my thoughts

KingSlayer047

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#14  Edited By KingSlayer047
Member since 2014 • 25 Posts

They will just try to spin it to be positive and let's be honest, Sony will do the same thing.

Avatar image for deactivated-57d8401f17c55
deactivated-57d8401f17c55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#15  Edited By deactivated-57d8401f17c55
Member since 2012 • 7221 Posts

@Pffrbt said:

@speedfreak48t5p said:

PS3 is a pretty decent console though.

The only thing ps3 is better at than 360 is being a movie player.

But this quote is still hilarious, what MS said i mean.

branketra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By branketra

Let's not make this is a system-wars-esque thread.

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By The_Last_Ride

@BranKetra said:

Let's not make this is a system-wars-esque thread.

That was not the idea, it was calling out the bs MS is doing

branketra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By branketra

@The_Last_Ride: I was not talking about you.

Pffrbt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Pffrbt

@Chozofication said:

The only thing ps3 is better at than 360 is being a movie player.

It's also better at not filling the console with ads, asinine paywalls, terrible controllers that inexplicably use batteries and are broken right out of the box, a terrible UI that's incredibly sluggish, obnoxious mandatory avatars, and the console itself isn't a broken piece of garbage that needs to be replaced several times.

I've had to replace my 360 several times and my current one runs incredibly loud for no apparent reason. My PS3 that I got in 2007 still works perfectly fine. The 360 is crap.

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By The_Last_Ride

@BranKetra said:

@The_Last_Ride: I was not talking about you.

i know, sometimes these things get out of control though

Avatar image for Master_Of_Fools
Master_Of_Fools

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Master_Of_Fools
Member since 2009 • 1651 Posts

@Archangel3371: Except Halo is dead. 343issues killed it with Halo 4, without Bungie and Marty its junk. As for Gears lol, I never cared for it but a friend of mine was a Gears of War fanboy...though that last Gears game was shit and even he says Gears needs to end, there is no where left to go with the game.

branketra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By branketra

I was just trying to help.

On-topic:

What Yusif Medhi said is probably wrong partially. It is true that many people still play 360, yet many previous 360 players have expressed their decision to choose the PS4 as their main console this generation. It is still early in their life cycles (even the Wii U has been out for less than two years), but seven million PS4s have been bought so far while the Wii U has sold about six and a half million units. The Xbox One is in third place with somewhere in the five million units range shipped (not sold, as you posted information proving). What games are available will be the main selling point after the $399 version of the Xbox One is released this summer, but players are already getting games like Infamous: Second Sun which was the best selling next-gen game in April. That said, he was most likely saying that because Titanfall sold so well after the 360 version was released.

With online gaming, it used to be that Xbox Live was much better than the PlayStation Network, but after the PS+ program began to gain momentum plus no additional cost for online multiplayer and paywall for paid apps, consumers began to view them in a more equal way including myself.

In other words, the 360 has its strengths to keep players interested, but it also has limits which are beginning to be not enough.

EDIT: Actually the time from the beginning of the seventh gen to the beginning of the eighth was too long. We got some good games such as Gran Turismo 5 and Gears of War 3, though.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b19c359a3789
deactivated-5b19c359a3789

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By deactivated-5b19c359a3789
Member since 2002 • 7785 Posts

Meanwhile the PS3 has legit titles coming out into next year, yet the PS4 is still selling...

Wouldn't surprise me if the 360 is still getting used, but it's less impressive when you consider that the majority of that usage over the last number of years is simply the newborn FPS generation who initially came for Halo and are now just using it as an annual CoD/Madden machine. Microsoft has inculcated that part of the user base and they'll hold on to their 360 controllers as long as more Call of Dudebro keeps coming out.

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#24 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 44313 Posts

@Master_Of_Fools said:

@Archangel3371: Except Halo is dead. 343issues killed it with Halo 4, without Bungie and Marty its junk. As for Gears lol, I never cared for it but a friend of mine was a Gears of War fanboy...though that last Gears game was shit and even he says Gears needs to end, there is no where left to go with the game.

I thought Halo 4 was fantastic so I'm eagerly awaiting Halo 5. While I think Gears 3 was the best in the franchise I thought Judgment was still a great game. I'm really looking forward to seeing what kind of Gears game Black Tusk can create. As for where the games can go from here aside from the Pendulum Wars I'm not sure but I'll leave that up to the developers, if they make a good game then I'll buy it.

Grieverr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Grieverr
Member since 2002 • 2835 Posts

I agree that the 360 was the better console up until 2010 or so. I enjoyed a lot of the exclusives like CoD2, Left 4 Dead, Blue Dragon, Lost Odyssey, Chromehounds, and Crackdown. I loved that it was getting Playstation games (Ace Combat 6, Ridge Racer 6). But, I believe the latest games on this list are from 2008 (Left 4Dead and Lost Odyssey). Most of the exclusives I remember after that were part of a series (Halo, Forza, Gears). By then, the PS3 was also getting cross-platform games that were the same quality as the 360, as well as their exclusives. So eventually I started playing my PS3 more and more.

When these consoles were announced, I had decided that I would no longer buy every console and chose one, the PS4 (not technically true, I have a Wii U as well). The MS E3 show killed any hopes I had for an X1, and these reversals, while I guess are good, show me that MS has no clue what their customers want. MS had a grand vision of what the X1 was going to be. Now, everything that was going to deliver that experience is gone (always connected, the power of the cloud, Kinect integration). So, now that they cannot deliver that X1 experience, what are they going to do?

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#26  Edited By Jacanuk
Member since 2011 • 20281 Posts

@The_Last_Ride said:

This is total bs... People don't want to upgrade because the 360 is too good... Yeah right...

With more than 7 million units sold to date, Sony's PlayStation 4 is the top-selling new console, ahead of Microsoft's Xbox One, which has shipped (not sold) 5 million units to date. In an interview with Forbes, Microsoft chief marketing and strategy officer Yusuf Mehdi laid out some reasons why his console is lagging behind, at least right now.

"It's hard to really assess the gap in sales," Mehdi said. "[Sony is] in many more markets right now than we are. They're in 40+ markets, we're in 13." The PS4 won't have a such a dramatic regional availability advantage for much longer, as the Xbox One will be released in Japan and 25 other regions in September.

Another reason why the Xbox One has fallen behind the PS4 in terms of sales so far is because, according to Mehdi, Xbox 360 owners enjoy their systems more than PlayStation 3 owners do, so they are less inclined to upgrade.

"People have been more satisfied with the Xbox 360 than the PS3, so in that respect people have less of a need to upgrade in the short-term due to regular updates for the Xbox 360," Mehdi said. "We could point to any number of things."

Addressing the impact the Xbox One's new $399 price point could have on the platform's viability going forward, Mehdi said the new price "broadens the appeal and hopefully brings more people to Xbox One sooner." He acknowledged that the original $499 price point was too steep an asking price for some gamers.

For more on this week's major Microsoft news, be sure to read GameSpot's staff editorial about how the Xbox One's new $399 price point will affect the ongoing console war.

Riiiight MS and the less sales have nothing to do with the fact that the X1 and X360 is inferior consoles made by an arrogant american company who forgot that europe isn't a poor 3rd world country.

And no ps3 was and still is a much better console than X360.

Mesomorphin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#27  Edited By Mesomorphin
Member since 2013 • 903 Posts

Its is true though, I'am still really enjoying my X360 and I seriously dont see the need to upgrade just yet, well atleast not until Sunset Overdrive and Halo that is.

mattykovax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

#28  Edited By mattykovax
Member since 2004 • 22693 Posts

@Black_Knight_00 said:
@The_Last_Ride said:

@Archangel3371 said:

Make that 2010

I was thinking about 2009, but yeah it lead last gen for quite awhile but finally they shot their big games load and developers finally figured out how to make games for the ps3 and sony figured out how to get it into homes and it has been in my opinion the clear leader since.

bowchicka07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#29  Edited By bowchicka07
Member since 2013 • 1104 Posts

@The_Last_Ride said:

I actually agree with that, sorry TC. I haven't upgraded to an Xbox One purely because I have so many games left on the 360 to play.

Microsoft is kind of using that as a weak excuse though because even though I still have a lot of games to play, it doesn't really speak to how good the 360 but more to me being behind on games.

It seems exclusives are more impacting for their respected consoles than I thought they were... in that case 343 really needs to get Halo 2 anniv out there. I think it could be a game changer being how it's (Halo 2) a cult classic and all.

Sorry i tried to make my reply less system war-ish but it was hard.

Black_Knight_00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Black_Knight_00

@mattykovax said:

I was thinking about 2009, but yeah it lead last gen for quite awhile but finally they shot their big games load and developers finally figured out how to make games for the ps3 and sony figured out how to get it into homes and it has been in my opinion the clear leader since.

Well, I bought my 360 in early 2009 and I was very happy with the offering. As soon as kinect came out, though, they shifted all their focus on that piece of junk and neglected coming out with worthwile exclusives. Good thing I also got a PS3 in 2010.

mattykovax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 mattykovax

@Black_Knight_00 said:

@mattykovax said:

Well, I bought my 360 in early 2009 and I was very happy with the offering. As soon as kinect came out, though, they shifted all their focus on that piece of junk and neglected coming out with worthwile exclusives. Good thing I also got a PS3 in 2010.

Yeah. I loved the original XBOX, was a day one adopter of the 360 ( should have seen the signs on the wall when they pretty much dropped any support for the old system right away) in 2007 had to sell mine and a couple months later got a PS3, wasnt impressed and got another 360. But around 2009/2010 Sony had their shit together and I saw that MS pretty much seemed to think their previous domination meant they did not have to try, and like I said I switched and have not looked back.

Black_Knight_00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Black_Knight_00

@mattykovax said:

Yeah. I loved the original XBOX, was a day one adopter of the 360 ( should have seen the signs on the wall when they pretty much dropped any support for the old system right away) in 2007 had to sell mine and a couple months later got a PS3, wasnt impressed and got another 360. But around 2009/2010 Sony had their shit together and I saw that MS pretty much seemed to think their previous domination meant they did not have to try, and like I said I switched and have not looked back.

Yeah, the PS3's launch was absolutely abysmal, I don't blame you for getting rid of it. After 2009 it really became the system to own though. Swings and roundabouts.

I still have 150 games for my 360 and they're not going anywhere, but the last 4 years of PS3 have been crazy good.

c_rakestraw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 64

#33  Edited By c_rakestraw  Moderator
Member since 2007 • 14627 Posts

Ignoring the obvious PR spin, they're not too far off base. If we're talking purely in terms of volume, the 360 is technically better than the Xbox One right now because of the larger library. The Xbox One still has a weak selection of games, both on retail and digital fronts, whereas the 360 is still going strong. If a slight bump in resolution and frame rate don't matter to you, you could easily keep using the 360 to play new releases no problem. Makes it a more attractive package.

mattykovax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By mattykovax

@c_rakestraw said:

Ignoring the obvious PR spin, they're not too far off base. If we're talking purely in terms of volume, the 360 is technically better than the Xbox One right now because of the larger library. The Xbox One still has a weak selection of games, both on retail and digital fronts, whereas the 360 is still going strong. If a slight bump in resolution and frame rate don't matter to you, you could easily keep using the 360 to play new releases no problem. Makes it a more attractive package.

And the same applies for PS3 for the same reason. Its still ignoring the fact that the early adopters are choosing the PS4, and it has been my experience that early adopters and the general gaming public are two different things.

c_rakestraw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 64

#35 c_rakestraw  Moderator
Member since 2007 • 14627 Posts
@mattykovax said:

And the same applies for PS3 for the same reason. Its still ignoring the fact that the early adopters are choosing the PS4, and it has been my experience that early adopters and the general gaming public are two different things.

Right. Though the PS4 is outselling the PS3 currently, is it not? So Sony's doing something right. What that is, who can say. Maybe it's due to them releasing more current-gen exclusive games? All the new releases for Xbox One so far have been cross-gen or are also available on PS4, so that could explain the sales disparity.

I'm just saying that Microsoft isn't completely off-base with their statement, because, as far as the Xbox goes, the 360 is the better choice at this moment. More bang for your buck, so to speak.

mattykovax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 mattykovax

@c_rakestraw said:
@mattykovax said:

Right. Though the PS4 is outselling the PS3 currently, is it not? So Sony's doing something right. What that is, who can say. Maybe it's due to them releasing more current-gen exclusive games? All the new releases for Xbox One so far have been cross-gen or are also available on PS4, so that could explain the sales disparity.

I'm just saying that Microsoft isn't completely off-base with their statement, because, as far as the Xbox goes, the 360 is the better choice at this moment. More bang for your buck, so to speak.

I wont disagree with that.

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 The_Last_Ride

@bowchicka07 said:

@The_Last_Ride said:

I actually agree with that, sorry TC. I haven't upgraded to an Xbox One purely because I have so many games left on the 360 to play.

Microsoft is kind of using that as a weak excuse though because even though I still have a lot of games to play, it doesn't really speak to how good the 360 but more to me being behind on games.

It seems exclusives are more impacting for their respected consoles than I thought they were... in that case 343 really needs to get Halo 2 anniv out there. I think it could be a game changer being how it's (Halo 2) a cult classic and all.

Microsoft stopped supporting the 360 after 2011. 360 had one exclusive last year and it hasn't had a lot of games this year either. Only platform exclusive, while the PS3 and Wii U have had more of them. That's the sad fact of the state of the 360

speedfreak48t5p

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By speedfreak48t5p

@The_Last_Ride said:

@bowchicka07 said:

@The_Last_Ride said:

Microsoft stopped supporting the 360 after 2011. 360 had one exclusive last year and it hasn't had a lot of games this year either. Only platform exclusive, while the PS3 and Wii U have had more of them. That's the sad fact of the state of the 360

360 had more than 1 exclusive last year. And Microsoft is still supporting the system, so 360 is still doing great.

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 The_Last_Ride

@speedfreak48t5p said:

@The_Last_Ride said:

@bowchicka07 said:

@The_Last_Ride said:

360 had more than 1 exclusive last year. And Microsoft is still supporting the system, so 360 is still doing great.

Alright, what exclusives are you talking about? You know it isn't exclusive if it's on another console or pc...

bowchicka07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#40  Edited By bowchicka07
Member since 2013 • 1104 Posts

@The_Last_Ride: Yeah but we have different viewpoints since I'm so far behind on games. I get sidetracked playing Heroes and League way too much.

gamenerd15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#41 gamenerd15
Member since 2007 • 4529 Posts

That is complete crap. The issue is that some 360 owners switch up when next generation came out. PS4 is outselling Xbox One because (as of right now) it is cheaper. Sony is establishing a lot of relationships with developers. Even though people make fun of indie games, Sony has them in its back pocket due to Microsoft's dumb policy about games having to releasing on Xbox as the same time as on another system. Sony also has developers from all over the world making games on its platforms. Sony has the Shadows of the Dammed director making some exclusive for the company and Level 5 making an exclusive for PS4. Yakuza is still exclusive to Sony platforms for the most part as well as NIS games. If From Software does develop Demon's Souls 2, then that is just another notch on Sony's belt. Microsoft tried gobbling the JRPG market up in the first couple of years the 360 was out on the market. The Japanese still did not care. Europe has always been Sony centric. You also have Quantic Dream making games for Sony platforms exclusively. True, Insomniac is making a game exclusively to Xbox One, but the company said that it wanted put games on non-Sony platforms, so I do not see that as a jab against PlayStation. Insomniac has three studios, and with the Ratchet and Clank movie coming out, there is no doubt a Ratchet game for PS4 is sure to follow. Same can be said for Sly cooper

All in all, If you are a long term gamer, then PS4 is where to get games. It is also where to buy multiplats, and not due to the whole HD resolution thing. You can pretty much buy most games on PS4 digitally, and you can upload your own gameplay videos as well. Xbox One is doing what PS3 did this past generation, it is trying to be the entertainment hub. PS4 is focusing all on games, even though they might be a bit slow coming out.

Congrats to Microsoft for selling 5 million on a $500 price tag though. This is quite an amazing feat in 6 months or so.

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 The_Last_Ride

@bowchicka07 said:

@The_Last_Ride: Yeah but we have different viewpoints since I'm so far behind on games. I get sidetracked playing Heroes and League way too much.

Well then i can understand your view, but i have both consoles and i just like PS3 way more