Metal Gear Solid 5 Ground Zeroes Hands On Impressions

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Areez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Areez
Member since 2002 • 6278 Posts

If you haven't heard; their has been a bit of controversy brewing over the length of MGS:GZ and the retail price point of the game.

Well the folks over at Game Informer have just shed some light on this subject, with their impressions of the game. *Possible spoiler alert*

http://www.gameinformer.com/b/features/archive/2014/02/06/exclusive-playthrough-impressions-metal-gear-solid-v-ground-zeroes.aspx

I came away really impressed by the game after watching this video and now possibly reconsidering my stance on making this a purchase or not. The game looks great and the options you have in game play, stealth or guns a blazing is very appealing to me. Definitely excited about the next entry in this series.

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#2  Edited By Jacanuk
Member since 2011 • 20281 Posts

@Areez said:

If you haven't heard; their has been a bit of controversy brewing over the length of MGS:GZ and the retail price point of the game.

Well the folks over at Game Informer have just shed some light on this subject, with their impressions of the game. *Possible spoiler alert*

http://www.gameinformer.com/b/features/archive/2014/02/06/exclusive-playthrough-impressions-metal-gear-solid-v-ground-zeroes.aspx

I came away really impressed by the game after watching this video and now possibly reconsidering my stance on making this a purchase or not. The game looks great and the options you have in game play, stealth or guns a blazing is very appealing to me. Definitely excited about the next entry in this series.

Hmm, 1-2h for the mainmission is kinda bad but not unheard of before so i am not worried

Areez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Areez
Member since 2002 • 6278 Posts

@dvader654: Vader you highlighted some of the same points GI mentioned in the video as well. The different approaches and avenues one can take varies in this game. To your point, if one is the adventurous type, likes to explore and attack the game from different angles, than this could be worth the price of admission.

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#5 Jacanuk
Member since 2011 • 20281 Posts

@Areez said:

@dvader654: Vader you highlighted some of the same points GI mentioned in the video as well. The different approaches and avenues one can take varies in this game. To your point, if one is the adventurous type, likes to explore and attack the game from different angles, than this could be worth the price of admission.

Yep, also most games can be completly in relative short time once you know the game, after all there is a reason speedruns are made.

But its like with GTA or any open world game, i looked at how much time i spent on missions and it wasn´t much more than 4+ hours the rest of the time its pretty much sidestuff and exploring and just messing around.

RadioGooGoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 RadioGooGoo
Member since 2007 • 253 Posts

People will buy it in droves. I'm hanging out for the real deal. I think I'll just watch a Lets Play of Ground Zeroes.

I think there are way too many people trying to justify buying Ground Zeroes, which suggests that they are not sure and are trying to validate a purchase decision. If you want to play it, buy it.

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Lulu_Lulu
Member since 2013 • 19564 Posts

If it atleast Had Splitscreen.

bezza2011

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#8 bezza2011
Member since 2006 • 2729 Posts

Hmmmm I'm buying it anyway with a voucher I got for Christmas. I would be sitting on the fence for this one and waiting for reviews at the end of the day, it doesn't matter how many ways you can do a mission it's still the same old mission and base for $40, I do enjoy MGS games and I think this may not just be a money grabbing opportunity, i think it may be due to how long MGS5 is going to take to make, i don't see it coming until 2015 probably in time for Christmas that year. it's a very ambitious take on the franchise, this should tie a few MGS fans over and I mean really how good is it that were getting anything MGS so early on, in the PS4/X1 life cycle.

ShangTsung7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#9  Edited By ShangTsung7
Member since 2014 • 250 Posts

i wouldn't pay 50 cents for this two hour tease, never thought i'd see the day where online mp even destroyed the MGS series, such a shame. there truly isn't any game series anymore thats safe from this online trash trend.

barrybarryk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#10  Edited By barrybarryk
Member since 2012 • 488 Posts

@dvader654 said:

Just so everyone understands, the main mission or the story mode took GI 1.5 hours with cutscenes and taking their time. There are 5 extra side ops all taking place in the same base. As well as some hidden collectibles to find. There are also leaderboards for all missions to speed run. Yes they are asking $20-40 depending on what version you get.

Yes the price is ridiculous but if you are the type like me to spend hours and hours just messing around in one area of an MGS game then you probably will find mych value in this "game". That is a determination you will have to make yourself. If you play just for story it would be idiotic to buy GZ.

It took around two hours for two of the Game Informer staff to complete it, not one. It's around an hour long. Here in the UK they're asking £20-£40 for it (from what I've seen, that's the equivalent of $30 - $65). Even for DLC it's over priced let alone as a complete standalone that apparently won't even be included in Phantom Pain, making it a £80+ MGS title. Kojima and his overspent vanity project can **** right off

"Another Game Informer editor and I played the main mode and we both managed to beat it and watch credits roll within two hours."
Discussing the length of MGS: GZ - GameInformer

gba1989

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 75

User Lists: 1

#12  Edited By gba1989
Member since 2009 • 189 Posts

Making games on a next gen platform is costly. I mean, c'mon look at the game. How many people and much time helped develop this game. Maybe it's justified?

And besides, MGS games are relatively short if you don't count the cutscenes. It's nothing new.