Mad Max or MGS V: The Phantom Pain?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

venom0706

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 venom0706
Member since 2008 • 111 Posts

Which of these two upcoming games would you recommend me for PS4?

I've never played any MGS game before, but the gameplay and graphics of The Phantom Pain look amazing. I recently watched several youtube videos to get into the story, and played the prologue (Ground Zeroes) as well. However, I don't know whether that would be enough to get me into Phantom Pain.

Mad Max on the other hand, also looks very good. I have watched the Mel Gibson trilogy and also enjoyed Fury Road. The game seems to combine driving and fighting mechanics pretty well.

Please post your suggestions.

Celtic_34

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 Celtic_34
Member since 2011 • 1903 Posts

I'm going with Mad Max. I feel like i'm in the same boat as you. Mad Max and Fallout 4 are the next 2 games i'm looking forward to and Mafia III.

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#3 Jacanuk
Member since 2011 • 20281 Posts

What a easy choice

MGS V of course , Mad Max is not really Mad Max, since the only true mad max is Mel Gibson and he is not in that movie or game, so why waste time on a fake?

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#4 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 44547 Posts

I'd say Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain, I'm just not really all that interested in Mad Max myself.

AKirkland

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 AKirkland
Member since 2015 • 46 Posts

How do you want us to make this choice for you, OP?

We don't know your tastes, whether you like open-worlds, did you like Ground Zeroes? Do you like the Arkham combat system? A fan of collectathon type games?

My suggestion is that you should probably go back and play: Metal Gear Solid 1, 2, 3, 4 & Peace Walker. Then play Sleeping Dogs, The Warriors, Shadow of Mordor & Rage and tell us which group of games you liked best.

Seriously, how are we supposed to make this decision for you? I'm still trying to process you being a GameSpot poster for 7 years and yet not having the time to play the greatest game series ever.

I'm buying both, as well as Until Dawn and Grow Home. Because the outdoors are overrated anyway.

venom0706

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 venom0706

I haven't played any of the MGS games simply because I don't own a PS3/PS2.PS. I only have PS4. And being a poster for 7 years doesn't mean that I have to own every possible game on every possible console. I was simply a PC gamer until recently. As for your questions, I am going to answer them so maybe in the end you can give me a proper relevant answer to my question.

I like open worlds. I enjoy the open worlds of GTA, as well as the Arkham Series games. Both Mad Max and PP seem to have it (although PP seems more linear and mission-based), so that is ONE of the reasons why I can't decide which of the two I should pick. Both look cool. And Ground Zeroes's map wasn't very big, as it contained only 1 mission.

I also like the combat system in the Arkham series. Mad Max's combat system looks similar (although not as developed), but I also like the tactical approach in PP (although being a tactical game while probably require more patience). This is ANOTHER reason why I can't decide. Both look awesome.

Played Sleeping Dogs, thought it was an unsuccessful copy of GTA (with the exception of the good combat system). Have also played Rage (which, although it got certain ideas from the Mad Max movies, thought it was quite boring and repetitive). Still haven't tried Shadow of Mordor and The Warriors.

And since I have asked which of these two you would recommend, I probably find both of them awesome and have a hard time deciding which I should pick.

AKirkland, instead of wasting time NOT recommending any of the two and asking me questions, you could have simply written "Mad Max" or "The Phantom Pain". Thanks anyway.

Avatar image for thegamingjunkie
thegamingjunkie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 5

#7  Edited By thegamingjunkie
Member since 2014 • 309 Posts

I struggled with the same decision myself, though in the end, I decided to forget about it and just wait for the reviews to roll in before I get any, specifically for Mad Max. The only game I'm having no doubt about getting is Fallout 4.

I've never played Rage, though it does indeed look and play a lot like Mad Max. If you're in dire need for either of those games (and if you'll eventually get both), I would recommend Mad Max first, but seeing as how you didn't enjoy Rage, I wouldn't set my expectations too high (cause it looks quite repetitive, if not boring).

If you're looking for something more lengthy, a game that'll last you longer with more things to do, then go with MGS V. I wouldn't worry too much about not playing the previous games of MGS if you favor gameplay over story, and I personally think Phantom Pain has quite a bit to offer in terms of gameplay.

But if Mad Max does end up getting great reviews on launch day, definitely get that. So yeah, Mad Max. That's what I would get.

EDIT* LOL so I just stumbled across a gameplay of Rage. I wouldn't worry about it being anywhere similar to Mad Max anymore, besides the setting. Woops.

AKirkland

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 AKirkland
Member since 2015 • 46 Posts

@venom0706 said:

I haven't played any of the MGS games simply because I don't own a PS3/PS2.PS. I only have PS4. And being a poster for 7 years doesn't mean that I have to own every possible game on every possible console. I was simply a PC gamer until recently. As for your questions, I am going to answer them so maybe in the end you can give me a proper relevant answer to my question.

I like open worlds. I enjoy the open worlds of GTA, as well as the Arkham Series games. Both Mad Max and PP seem to have it (although PP seems more linear and mission-based), so that is ONE of the reasons why I can't decide which of the two I should pick. Both look cool. And Ground Zeroes's map wasn't very big, as it contained only 1 mission.

I also like the combat system in the Arkham series. Mad Max's combat system looks similar (although not as developed), but I also like the tactical approach in PP (although being a tactical game while probably require more patience). This is ANOTHER reason why I can't decide. Both look awesome.

Played Sleeping Dogs, thought it was an unsuccessful copy of GTA (with the exception of the good combat system). Have also played Rage (which, although it got certain ideas from the Mad Max movies, thought it was quite boring and repetitive). Still haven't tried Shadow of Mordor and The Warriors.

And since I have asked which of these two you would recommend, I probably find both of them awesome and have a hard time deciding which I should pick.

AKirkland, instead of wasting time NOT recommending any of the two and asking me questions, you could have simply written "Mad Max" or "The Phantom Pain". Thanks anyway.

Are you seriously upset by my response, that was actually trying to help you make the best decision about which game you'd like better?

Did you honestly make a thread to get a series of "Mad Max" or "The Phantom Pain" game title responses with absolutely no context, made with no regard to what you might like and why people are making that suggestion? And you feel this would be helpful in your indecision?

The Phantom Pain.

/thread.

venom0706

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 venom0706

@akirkland:

You never suggested any of them in your first post. Only thing you wrote was that you would buy both, without stating reasons and only recommending me OTHER games, which wasn't an answer to the question I asked.

Ant_17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#10 Ant_17
Member since 2005 • 13634 Posts

Mad Max , because i don't think i want to know a person like you has MGS5 and asks this type of question.

Xanatos357

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#11 Xanatos357
Member since 2015 • 787 Posts

@venom0706: I'm in a similar boat as you as I've never played any of the MGS series before. Because of this I intend on buying Mad Max first, if the reviews are good, and either playthrough the MGS series or watch a playthrough (Metal Gear Scanlon) before I pick up Phantom Pain. For you, I would recommend getting Mad Max first, since you are a fan of the series and will probably enjoy it more instead of worrying about missing important details in the MGS series.

venom0706

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 venom0706

@Ant_17:

What does that mean? The fact that I haven't played a MGS game before doesn't mean I shouldn't try the series.

The_Funyarinpa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 The_Funyarinpa
Member since 2015 • 504 Posts

No poll?

Anyways MGS is one of the greatest series ever made, enough said

Ant_17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Ant_17
Member since 2005 • 13634 Posts

@venom0706 said:

@Ant_17:

What does that mean? The fact that I haven't played a MGS game before doesn't mean I shouldn't try the series.

How did you reach the concluson that MGS5 is in the same ballpark as a movie based game?

And no , you can still enjoy MGS without the story from the other games.

MarcRecon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 4

#15  Edited By MarcRecon
Member since 2009 • 8191 Posts

@Celtic_34 said:

I'm going with Mad Max. I feel like i'm in the same boat as you. Mad Max and Fallout 4 are the next 2 games i'm looking forward to and Mafia III.

I'm going with Mad Max as well, even though I can't even see how this is a topic! Most people are going to go with Metal Gear and that's understandable because it's one of the best and most well known gaming franchises.

But I don't feel a need to get it on day1, I'd rather go with Mad Max(FLAME SHIELD ON) lol

MarcRecon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 4

#16 MarcRecon
Member since 2009 • 8191 Posts

@the_funyarinpa said:

No poll?

Anyways MGS is one of the greatest series ever made, enough said

Your sig says it all fella!!!

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 122

User Lists: 2

#17 The_Last_Ride
Member since 2004 • 76371 Posts

@venom0706: Mad Max, Ground Zeroes was a dissapointment to me

SavagePlanet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 SavagePlanet
Member since 2003 • 31 Posts

I'm actually getting both day one, but I'm the type of player who likes to jump around from game to game. So, I'll probably alternate playing them each day or something unless one of them just grabs me so much more than the other one, which could very well happen with either one of these.

phoenix5352

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#20 phoenix5352
Member since 2011 • 387 Posts

metal gear solid v the phantom pain !

Catalli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#21 Catalli  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 3453 Posts

I haven't played any MGS games, so maybe now isn't the best place to start.

Mad Max looks good though, I might try it out.

s0ldier69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 s0ldier69  Online
Member since 2005 • 2281 Posts

Max. Everytime I have tried a MGS game I leave shaking my head at how so many people can like something so dumb. The videos of MGS V where Snake fools the gaurds with a cardboard box that pops up pictures of pretty girls was enough to say, "yep, nope, I'll pass."

mitchponv

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By mitchponv
Member since 2015 • 32 Posts

Mad Max looks better, has a much better control system, the character dialog doesn't sound stupidly dramatic and overacted, and is much more entertaining, and it has fewer general overall annoyances for a third person shooter. That being said, both games are about as good, regardless of the high score MGS5 got over Mad Max. Plus the Mad Max universe is something fresh, whereas MGS 5 is just another rolled out sequel that doesn't look any better than the ones before. I'm a big fan of earlier gears, but I think 5 is completely overrated. Generally, if you prefer fun and entertainment, go with Max, convoluted and silly anime plots, go with Gear

FenrirsPack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#24 FenrirsPack
Member since 2015 • 95 Posts

I this seems like a comically easy question. Metal Gear Solid 5 has been universally acclaimed as one of the best video games of the decade and Mad Max has average reviews. Seriously, its a game based on a movie...

http://www.metacritic.com/game/playstation-4/mad-max

http://www.metacritic.com/game/playstation-4/metal-gear-solid-v-the-phantom-pain

Here are a few other pressing dilemmas for you:

Halo 3 or Jackass: The Game?

Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory or Scooby-Doo! Unmasked?

Half Life 2 or Bad Boys: Miami Takedown?

Decisions, decisions...

CTR360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 CTR360
Member since 2007 • 9154 Posts

I playing both and i like both games i prefer MGSV PP

Xeno_ghost

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Xeno_ghost
Member since 2014 • 990 Posts

Mad max is mediocre at best, not even in the same universe as metal gear.