Looking for good non Final Fantasy JRPGS.

This topic is locked from further discussion.

rikimaru93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 rikimaru93
Member since 2003 • 762 Posts

I'm looking for JRPGS from the PS2 generation to now that are on either the PS2 or PC, no portables. Im looking for something thats unique, preferably with a good storyline and a great soundtrack is a must. Feel free to suggest non-popular games or games that have only received a fan translation.

Shadow Hearts 2 and the Persona series are the only JRPGs i can really think of that isnt a FF that I played on the PS2. JRPGS ive enjoyed include: Chrono Trigger/Cross, FF4,7,10, Shadow Hearts 2, TWEWY, Devil Survivor, Personas, Shadow Hearts 2, 999, Terrangima, Demons Souls, Lost Oddysey, and Super Mario RPG 7 stars.

As a side note Id like to add that Yasunori Mitsuda is my favourite composer so any OST made by him or of a similar style Id be willing to try out.

Thanks!

Melkari

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 Melkari
Member since 2004 • 595 Posts

Xenosaga. Episode I's OST is composed by Yasunori Mitsuda and is superb, Episode II (cutscenes only, field music makes your ears bleed) and III's OSTs are composed by Yuki Kajiura which in my opinion even outdid Mitsuda's. Prepare for a long, extremely story intensive barrage though. Episode I is mostly setup, Episode II is kind of weak, but the incredible beginning and end are worth it, and Episode III's got a huge chunk of story missing from it (most of it is in text form as in-game encyclopedia entries), but regardless closes out the story arc wonderfully.

Of course, I'm in the extreme minority, and most people seem to utterly despise the series. If story and music are what you look for most in RPGs (like me) though, Xenosaga is pretty much the shining example of both. By far my favorite PS2 RPG series.

Avatar image for Eikichi-Onizuka
Eikichi-Onizuka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#3 Eikichi-Onizuka
Member since 2008 • 9205 Posts
Arc the Lad: Twilight of the Spirits(would also suggest 1-3, PS1 though) Dark Cloud 2 is very good if you don't hate dungeon crawlers Grandia II is a very good RPG, I would also suggest the first one(PS1 though) Growlanser Generations(two games in one, 2 is much better than 3 but both are good) Suikoden III and V (V has a very slow start but after that it's really good) Tales of the Abyss
branketra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 9

#4 branketra
Member since 2006 • 51726 Posts

The .hack series. It's a single player game and the game takes place in an MMO game. That is only part of the story and so it is actually a one-player offline game series. The game allows the player to transfer his character data from game 1 to 2 and so on. I only played the 1st, but I liked it.

-There's also a .hack/sign series, but I haven't played that.

As mentioned, Grandia II is a good game.

I haven't played much of the Arc the Lad series, but I've heard many good things about it.

Dark Cloud is pretty good. I have not played much of the the sequel.

I also have seen a lot of recognition for the Shin Megami (I think a.k.a. Persona) series.

fend_oblivion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#5 fend_oblivion
Member since 2006 • 6760 Posts

I'm looking for JRPGS from the PS2 generation to now that are on either the PS2 or PC, no portables. Im looking for something thats unique, preferably with a good storyline and a great soundtrack is a must. Feel free to suggest non-popular games or games that have only received a fan translation.

Shadow Hearts 2 and the Persona series are the only JRPGs i can really think of that isnt a FF that I played on the PS2. JRPGS ive enjoyed include: Chrono Trigger/Cross, FF4,7,10, Shadow Hearts 2, TWEWY, Devil Survivor, Personas, Shadow Hearts 2, 999, Terrangima, Demons Souls, Lost Oddysey, and Super Mario RPG 7 stars.

As a side note Id like to add that Yasunori Mitsuda is my favourite composer so any OST made by him or of a similar style Id be willing to try out.

Thanks!

rikimaru93

PSX :

Final Fantasy 9

Xenogears (The sound track is by Yasunori Mitsuda. A note worthy track is "Stars of Tears". Check out the remastered album of the game called Creid. The best songs in that album is the self titled "Creid" and "Balto")

Star Ocean : The Second Story

Grandia

Parasite Eve

Parasite Eve 2

Persona 2 : Eternal Punishment

PS2 :

Kingdom Hearts

Kingdom Hearts 2

Dragon Quest 8

Shin Megami Tensei : Nocturne (Shoji Meguro is in charge of the music. 'Nuff said.)

Shin Megami Tensei : Digital Devil Saga Volume 1 (Shoji Meguro is in charge of the music. 'Nuff said.)

Shin Megami Tensei : Digital Devil Saga Volume 2 (Shoji Meguro is in charge of the music. 'Nuff said.)

You seem to have a DS, so you should try these games out -

NDS :

Golden Sun : Dark Dawn

Pokemon Diamond/Pearl/Platinum

Pokemon Heart Gold/Soul Silver

Pokemon Black/White

Kingdom Hearts 358/2 Days

Since you are a Yasunori Mitsuda fan (high five! :D), I strongly recommend you check out the kiRite album. It's absolutely amazing :D Notable tracks are "Nocturne", "Circle of Eternity" and "The Market in Volfinor"

z4twenny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#6 z4twenny
Member since 2006 • 4898 Posts

the dragonquest series (though you really can skip the first one)

hakanakumono

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 hakanakumono
Member since 2008 • 27455 Posts

Xenosaga should be your first choice for PS2. :)

ModeDude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#8 ModeDude
Member since 2009 • 1135 Posts
Dragon Quest 8 on the PS2 may be a good one to play. While not strictly a turn based rpg, I quite enjoyed Odin Sphere.
whisperingmute

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 whisperingmute
Member since 2006 • 1116 Posts

I'd recommend the Wild Arms series. Which I'm surprised no one mentioned.

Lucianu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#10 Lucianu
Member since 2007 • 10347 Posts

Thanks!

rikimaru93

Xenogears for the PSX.

You wont need anything els.

rikimaru93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 rikimaru93
Member since 2003 • 762 Posts

Just to clarify, Im not looking for PSX games, ive played most of them and the ones I havent ill play on PSP. Im looking for something that can either be played on my PS2 or PC.Thanks for the tips so far though! Xenosaga seems like its worth looking into.

jefferyjosephh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 jefferyjosephh
Member since 2005 • 71 Posts
Well, I know it isn't PS2, but if you can get a used Dreamcast or Gamecube you can play the greatest JRPG ever made. "Eternal Skies of Arcadia" on Dreamcast, and ported to Cube as "Skies of Arcadia Legends". It is the absolute greatest JRPG I have ever played and it is my all-time favorite game ever. -It has a huge world to explore and a ship to fly around the sky -huge boss battles -followed by ultimate boss battle after each stage (giant Gigas to defeat......much like massive giants) -ship-to-ship battles -fantastic battle system and magic spells -great graphics -amazing music -great story with LONG gameplay. 60 hours or so -great and endearing cast of characters -sky pirates! Cool setting of the game Honestly, it would be worth gettiing a used Gamecube ($25) and the game ($20) and a memory card ($10) and you've got an amazing game for the price of a PS3 or 360 game. You will not be disappointed. And, if you get the Gamecube there is a huge library to explore as well. Go with the Gamecube version because it is the easiest to find (and games are still in stores like Gamestop), but I actually liked the Dreamcast version a bit better (the music sounded better on that one) But the Cube one has more added content and side quests.
riou7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#13 riou7  Moderator
Member since 2007 • 10842 Posts

Suikoden III, IV, and V on PS2.

drochnathair

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 drochnathair
Member since 2008 • 412 Posts

Since you seem to have enjoyed the Persona games, I'd strongly recommend picking up Nocturne and Digital Devil Saga. Be forewarned however, Nocturne in particular is like Persona on sadist mode. The difficulty, especially in some boss fights like Matador, is no joke.

Shidira

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#15 Shidira
Member since 2006 • 943 Posts

PSX :

Final Fantasy 9

Xenogears (The sound track is by Yasunori Mitsuda. A note worthy track is "Stars of Tears". Check out the remastered album of the game called Creid. The best songs in that album is the self titled "Creid" and "Balto")

Star Ocean : The Second Story

Grandia

Parasite Eve

Parasite Eve 2

Persona 2 : Eternal Punishment

PS2 :

Kingdom Hearts

Kingdom Hearts 2

Dragon Quest 8

Shin Megami Tensei : Nocturne (Shoji Meguro is in charge of the music. 'Nuff said.)

Shin Megami Tensei : Digital Devil Saga Volume 1 (Shoji Meguro is in charge of the music. 'Nuff said.)

Shin Megami Tensei : Digital Devil Saga Volume 2 (Shoji Meguro is in charge of the music. 'Nuff said.)

You seem to have a DS, so you should try these games out -

NDS :

Golden Sun : Dark Dawn

Pokemon Diamond/Pearl/Platinum

Pokemon Heart Gold/Soul Silver

Pokemon Black/White

Kingdom Hearts 358/2 Days

Since you are a Yasunori Mitsuda fan (high five! :D), I strongly recommend you check out the kiRite album. It's absolutely amazing :D Notable tracks are "Nocturne", "Circle of Eternity" and "The Market in Volfinor"

fend_oblivion

This is a great list. I'd also add Suikoden series on PS2

LordAndrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#16 LordAndrew
Member since 2005 • 7355 Posts
Have you ever played Dragon Quest? Those are good games.
forgot_it

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 forgot_it
Member since 2004 • 6756 Posts
I swear, it's like some people can't read >_> Try some Level 5 games, most JRPG fans love em. Dark Cloud 2 and Rogue Galaxy are the ones you should definitely check out.
branketra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 9

#18 branketra
Member since 2006 • 51726 Posts
I didn't mention Kingdom Hearts because it plays like an action adventure game, but it has heavy rpg elements...so, yeah. That series, for sure.
lazyathew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#19 lazyathew
Member since 2007 • 3748 Posts

My favorite JRPG is for the PS2, Tales of the Abyss. That whole series is amazing actually. But's it's scattered on all different systems. Tales of Legendia is also for the PS2, but it was a pretty big step backward in the gameplay department I think, but the chracters and story are still great. I think both are certainly worth a try.