Is Thief linear?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Mesomorphin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 5

#1 Mesomorphin
Member since 2013 • 903 Posts

I was watching some gameplay footage of it today, and it looks fairly interesting. However what are your thoughts on it? I'am worried that its going to be one straight forward linear experience, similar to dishonoured I guess. Can anyone comment on whether it is or isnt?

Planeforger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By Planeforger
Member since 2004 • 19583 Posts

If it is, then it's not a Thief game.

Maybe the earlier tutorial levels are linear, and the game opens up later on? Or maybe they completely missed the mark and ruined one ofnthe best features of the series?

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 Lulu_Lulu
Member since 2013 • 19564 Posts

Linear Progression but Open Ended design. Those are usually good.

Avatar image for Black_Knight_00
Black_Knight_00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#4 Black_Knight_00
Member since 2007 • 77 Posts

Yeah, it is.

http://www.examiner.com/article/despite-linear-story-eidos-montreal-s-thief-controlled-by-gamers

“I won’t lie to you, the story’s linear,” narrative director Stephen Gallagher said. “It’s a single arc where Garrett sets himself up –– ‘I do not kill without good reason’ –– and the arc kind of follows that in a way.”

“But in the end you buy the game, it’s your game, I’m not going to say, ‘You must play like that.’ I think as a player, even though you’re going to follow the story, the tools that you choose –– Do you want to be the ghost, non-lethal, undetected, or (do you) kill as many people as you want? –– are up to you.”

I wouldn't worry too much though: the first two Thief games were linear and they were excellent.

Mesomorphin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Mesomorphin

@Black_Knight_00 said:

Yeah, it is.

http://www.examiner.com/article/despite-linear-story-eidos-montreal-s-thief-controlled-by-gamers

“I won’t lie to you, the story’s linear,” narrative director Stephen Gallagher said. “It’s a single arc where Garrett sets himself up –– ‘I do not kill without good reason’ –– and the arc kind of follows that in a way.”

“But in the end you buy the game, it’s your game, I’m not going to say, ‘You must play like that.’ I think as a player, even though you’re going to follow the story, the tools that you choose –– Do you want to be the ghost, non-lethal, undetected, or (do you) kill as many people as you want? –– are up to you.”

I wouldn't worry too much though: the first two Thief games were linear and they were excellent.

I'am not doubting the game's quality, I'am just not sure whether I wanna blow full retail cash on a linear experience that can finished in 5 hours. I would've preferred it to be less story oriented and more about open city gameplay with open choices on how you approach the game.

Black_Knight_00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Black_Knight_00

@mesomorphin said:

I'am not doubting the game's quality, I'am just not sure whether I wanna blow full retail cash on a linear experience that can finished in 5 hours. I would've preferred it to be less story oriented and more about open city gameplay with open choices on how you approach the game.

Yup, so did I. I say wait for confirmation from reviews and howlongtobeat.com if duration is a decisive factor.

Mesomorphin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Mesomorphin

@Black_Knight_00 said:

@mesomorphin said:

Yup, so did I. I say wait for confirmation from reviews and howlongtobeat.com if duration is a decisive factor.

I guess its much easier for Devs to ignore choice and effect, with all the variables involved and just throw you into one set path already thought out for you. Some games I don't mind like Transformers, but after a while it almost becomes a bit of a chore, as though you're just doing things for the sake of it.

Black_Knight_00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Black_Knight_00

@mesomorphin said:

I guess its much easier for Devs to ignore choice and effect, with all the variables involved and just throw you into one set path already thought out for you. Some games I don't mind like Transformers, but after a while it almost becomes a bit of a chore, as though you're just doing things for the sake of it.

Easier and cheaper and this Thief game doesn't have a large budget to start with. Maybe they will surprise us like Deus Ex Human Revolution did: that game started from similar premises and turned out excellent.

Mesomorphin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Mesomorphin

@Black_Knight_00 said:

@mesomorphin said:

Easier and cheaper and this Thief game doesn't have a large budget to start with. Maybe they will surprise us like Deus Ex Human Revolution did: that game started from similar premises and turned out excellent.

Surprisingly was never a huge fan of HR. Whilst I respected its premise, story, fanbase and artsyle I found the game too restrictive and almost a big clunky. Each to his own.

Black_Knight_00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Black_Knight_00

@mesomorphin said:

Surprisingly was never a huge fan of HR. Whilst I respected its premise, story, fanbase and artsyle I found the game too restrictive and almost a big clunky. Each to his own.

Considering the age of gaming we're living in, it was beyond my expectations. More than the game itself, I think much of the relative disappointment I've heard comes from that three-way choice at the end. You can simply tell they ran out of time.

Mesomorphin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Mesomorphin

@Black_Knight_00 said:

@mesomorphin said:

Considering the age of gaming we're living in, it was beyond my expectations. More than the game itself, I think much of the relative disappointment I've heard comes from that three-way choice at the end. You can simply tell they ran out of time.

Ran out of time? ever played the new tomb raider? Great introduction, interesting premise and alot of potential to dive into. About 3 hours in you slowly begin to realise that they must of ran out of time as every level soon becomes one cover shoot out after another( almost like a bad gears of war clone). Was very disappointed. However the game was pretty highly acclaimed so I may of been one of the few that thought that way.

Black_Knight_00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Black_Knight_00

@mesomorphin said:

Ran out of time? ever played the new tomb raider? Great introduction, interesting premise and alot of potential to dive into. About 3 hours in you slowly begin to realise that they must of ran out of time as every level soon becomes one cover shoot out after another( almost like a bad gears of war clone). Was very disappointed. However the game was pretty highly acclaimed so I may of been one of the few that thought that way.

We knew that from the trailers though, it was going to be, by design, an area free roam Uncharted clone with a sprinkle of FarCry. I liked the style of the previous three Crystal Dynamics Tomb Raider games, but this one was still an interesting change of pace (having twice the budget as Tomb Raider Underworld helped as well, I imagine). The next one should focus on puzzles and exploration more than shooting, I agree.

CTR360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#13 CTR360
Member since 2007 • 9154 Posts

i buy it for ps4 after price drop

MirkoS77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#14 MirkoS77
Member since 2011 • 17676 Posts

Here's a video of the first mission after the tutorial. Don't know if this is the one you've seen or want to, but at the beginning it says there's more than one way to get to the objective. Considering its a fairly big city, I'm betting it won't be very linear. Holding out hope at least.

http://m.neogaf.com/showthread.php?t=769307&page=1

Looking pretty good to me. I'm sure the developers understand that freedom of approach is of the utmost importance in a Thief game. It's likes 99% of the point and the fun. They give us all these gadgets (rope arrows, etc), and then funnel us down pre-determined corridors? I just can't see it, and would be very surprised if that turns out to be the case. Aside from everyone's fears, I think this is going to turn out to be a really good game. The main reason it's gotten so much bad publicity is it's being measured against one of the all-time greats.

Looking forward to Tues.

Mesomorphin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Mesomorphin

The fact that they have to mention that there is "more than one way to get to the objective" Shows that they acknowledge the fact this is game is still quite linear in its design, I'am still pretty 50/50 with this one guys.

MirkoS77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#16 MirkoS77
Member since 2011 • 17676 Posts

@mesomorphin: even so, if it does end up linear it looks to still be an enjoyable experience nonetheless. I'll enjoy it for what it is.

Little OT....you know what's funny? The most annoying thing to me about that video I linked was the absense of thunder with the lightning.

Guess I'm just an audio freak. Good sound design in games adds so much.

Mesomorphin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Mesomorphin

@MirkoS77 said:

@mesomorphin: even so, if it does end up linear it looks to still be an enjoyable experience nonetheless. I'll enjoy it for what it is.

Little OT....you know what's funny? The most annoying thing to me about that video I linked was the absense of thunder with the lightning.

Guess I'm just an audio freak. Good sound design in games adds so much.

Yeah I'am very similar in the sense that I'am picky with audio aswell. The final product will fill that in for sure.

ShangTsung7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#18  Edited By ShangTsung7
Member since 2014 • 250 Posts

so long as you're allowed to be a murderous psychopath if you so choose, i'm in! hell i love games where you can kill as you please even tho its not advised, cause that usually means that the killing path will be much more difficult thus increasing the challenge even further like in Deus Ex, i'm probably one of the few who's really looking forward to this game, i can't wait!