Is there something amazing in Bioshock that I failed to see??

This topic is locked from further discussion.

KcurtorMas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 KcurtorMas
Member since 2009 • 1484 Posts

Sure, it had a few good "what a twist!!" moments, but overall, I just dont understand why this game has had so much praise. I find it to be a mediocre FPS at best. The story overall was REALLY good, but I found the gameplay to be kind of boring. The enemies were more of anannoying nuisance than a challenge, and werent really satisfying to kill.The only incentive for playing it again, is to change your decision in saving or harvesting the little sisters...or maybe to get more achievements, like upgrading all of the weapons or something. Could somebody please explain to me why a LOT of people think this is the best game of the decade/ this generation?? I just dont see it.

Avatar image for masterpinky2000
masterpinky2000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 95

#2 masterpinky2000
Member since 2004 • 1955 Posts

Compared to extremely linear shooters like Gears of War or Halo, it was a lot more open-ended. You generally had a broad environment that you could walk around and fiddle with (hacking turrets and cameras, getting security bots to follow you, etc.). It also had the whole system of genetic enhancements that gave you an interesting gameplay element (not just shooting, you could also use plasmids to burn, freeze, electrocute, etc.).

I don't think it was revolutionary, but it was very polished and executed a lot of different things amazingly well.

KcurtorMas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 KcurtorMas
Member since 2009 • 1484 Posts

Compared to extremely linear shooters like Gears of War or Halo, it was a lot more open-ended. You generally had a broad environment that you could walk around and fiddle with (hacking turrets and cameras, getting security bots to follow you, etc.). It also had the whole system of genetic enhancements that gave you an interesting gameplay element (not just shooting, you could also use plasmids to burn, freeze, electrocute, etc.).

I don't think it was revolutionary, but it was very polished and executed a lot of different things amazingly well.

masterpinky2000

Ok, ill agree with all of that. I guess I was just expecting something a bit different. Im not sure exactly what that was though...

Avatar image for just_nonplussed
just_nonplussed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 77

#4 just_nonplussed
Member since 2006 • 4130 Posts

what was amazing for me about bioshock is how it manipulated the player, and constantly signified the presence of goals in a way that contrasted greatly with the realistic feeling of the atmosphere and environment. it made the player feel like a slave, and my opinion was that it was playing on the passiveness of the player in the majority of games, and it turned that into a major plotline. it was very clever.

the game was also quite philosophical. it was inspired by the theory of objectivism. i don't actually know much about it, but it's kind of a first, that a game was built from the ground up according to a real life philosophical movement.

there were also allusions to kafka, and other writers. it might be that you just find those parts hard to appreciate because you don't know much about those writers.

i could go on... the voice acting, the environmental storytelling.. i think there were faults, but the game deserves the credit it gets.

StaticPenguin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 67

#5 StaticPenguin
Member since 2004 • 3433 Posts

I'm pretty sure it was the storytelling. You do all these things just to find out that you didn't do them because you wanted to, it's because you were programmed to do it when commanded to with a certain phrase. The environment told a story of the war that occured in Rapture and the recordings told another all of which seemed to connect in some way.

TheBigTicket21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#6 TheBigTicket21
Member since 2004 • 30875 Posts
I thought the game was good, but nothing special. 8.5/10 would be a more accurate score in my opinion, people say the game was more than a shooter, and I'll agree with that, but the actual shooting part wasn't nearly as good as other shooters, and the plasmids were so average.
Olorin_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Olorin_
Member since 2009 • 42 Posts

It was the most amazing game ever for about 2 days. After that it just got boring and repetitive, plus I got clausterphobic in those damn hallways. I like to be able to get out and breathe a la fallout 3.

Faith_of_Ruin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Faith_of_Ruin
Member since 2009 • 133 Posts
Bioshock is that type of shooter where you want to take a look literally every where. and when you listen carefully you can hear the people always muttering crap about"hope is lost" i guess in a way it shows rebellion. but i enjoyed the graphics alot and the story line is very good. i just wish we had more options of guns and maybe even something like a co-op feature. but thats just my wants.
sub-raid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#9 sub-raid
Member since 2006 • 1613 Posts
it's just you, the game is fine actually the game is the best sci-fie FPS i have ever played.
Lethalhazard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#10 Lethalhazard
Member since 2009 • 5451 Posts
The water is fun to play in! Also, the art direction and music is amazing.
BeyondPain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#11 BeyondPain
Member since 2008 • 762 Posts
Its just your personal opinion and how you felt about it, nothing wrong with that :) As an fps, i found it average but it was all the other elements that made the game for me.
UpInFlames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 41

#12 UpInFlames
Member since 2004 • 13301 Posts

BioShock was a big disappointment for me. It's an enjoyable game, but it fell short in every single aspect. It wasn't as open-ended as they promised, the AI was crap, moral decisions were meaningless, even the storytelling didn't win me over (it has a couple of good moments, but overall it just didn't pan out well). I never had the urge to replay it and that's a big deal for me considering BioShock is a story-driven single-player game.

TheFortKnight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#13 TheFortKnight
Member since 2009 • 41 Posts
Style and design of the game are top-notch. Only issue I had was around 3/4 of the way through, when it started to get a little tedious. Great game.
gamer_10001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 gamer_10001
Member since 2006 • 2588 Posts

I was always disappointed at how easy Big Daddies were to kill in that game (except first one)

Wildesy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Wildesy
Member since 2008 • 130 Posts

Had the best atmosphere and feel to it of any game I've played probably since Deus Ex. I loved every minute of it, as a single player experience I'd say it is pretty hard to beat.

Legolas_Katarn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 1

#16 Legolas_Katarn
Member since 2003 • 15556 Posts

Sure, it had a few good "what a twist!!" moments, but overall, I just dont understand why this game has had so much praise. I find it to be a mediocre FPS at best. The story overall was REALLY good, but I found the gameplay to be kind of boring. The enemies were more of anannoying nuisance than a challenge, and werent really satisfying to kill.The only incentive for playing it again, is to change your decision in saving or harvesting the little sisters...or maybe to get more achievements, like upgrading all of the weapons or something. Could somebody please explain to me why a LOT of people think this is the best game of the decade/ this generation?? I just dont see it.

KcurtorMas

I have no idea what people see in this game. If you want a shooter with great gameplay, one that actually has RPG elements, and has a great story you should try Deus Ex. It even has less of a linear environment, Bioshock is just one fetch quest after another, even if the area is big you are still going the same way. If you want a game that is more like Bioshock but with good gameplay play System Shock 2.

The story in Bioshock is pretty good but you never care about the characters, I spent the first half of the game thinking, "When is this idiot going to betray me, then I spent the next half thinking, "So when is Fontaine (SP, don't remember) going to betray me?" The enemies are terrible, except for the Big Daddies which are cool to watch, but very boring to fight. In Deus Ex I actually played through the game trying not to kill my enemies, using stealth or knocking them out, because some you fight are actually good and some used to be your friends and don't know what they are doing. Choosing to save or kill Little Sisters is almost a pointless element to the game, you get better rewards for saving and the woman pretty much tells you she can help them, it is in no way a difficult moral or gameplay decision. The twist near the end about them controlling you was pretty cool and original but that is it, it's nothing that makes me go, "Oh what a nice piece of dialoge I better give the game a 10 because those few lines just made up for all the problems that this game has."

The atmosphere was nice but that can't make up for poor gameplay, and I felt that the atmosphere wasn't as good the more the game went on. It was amazing when you started with the plane crashing, the statue of Andrew, first seeing the city, the shadow of the crazy lady with what you though was a baby then turned out to be a gun, but once the demo ended it just stopped being anywhere near as interesting.

Most of the people praising Bioshock so much have never played an FPS game with a decent story or good environment. Sure some people will be exceptions but for most people, if I only played a bunch of games like Gears of War and Halo I would find Bioshock to be amazing as well. It's like the people looking at trailers for Dragons Age Origin and, stupidly, comparing it to Oblivion instead of Baldurs Gate, Neverwinter, Icewind Dale,or Planescape and thinking that it looks terrible. They haven't played anything like it to compare it to to see how it stacks up.

mramz88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 mramz88
Member since 2009 • 183 Posts
the game had no twists imo and was boring to play. i hated the "aura" of it with the happy faces and the "circus of power" or whatever that thing was, and u had to buy plasmids.... no. i remember reading the review saying that ppl who like straight forward typical shooters probably wont like this game, and ya, i didnt like it.
Avatar image for just_nonplussed
just_nonplussed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 77

#18 just_nonplussed
Member since 2006 • 4130 Posts

[QUOTE="KcurtorMas"]

Legolas_Katarn

I have no idea what people see in this game. If you want a shooter with great gameplay, one that actually has RPG elements, and has a great story you should try Deus Ex. It even has less of a linear environment, Bioshock is just one fetch quest after another, even if the area is big you are still going the same way. If you want a game that is more like Bioshock but with good gameplay play System Shock 2.

The story in Bioshock is pretty good but you never care about the characters, I spent the first half of the game thinking, "When is this idiot going to betray me, then I spent the next half thinking, "So when is Fontaine (SP, don't remember) going to betray me?" The enemies are terrible, except for the Big Daddies which are cool to watch, but very boring to fight. In Deus Ex I actually played through the game trying not to kill my enemies, using stealth or knocking them out, because some you fight are actually good and some used to be your friends and don't know what they are doing. Choosing to save or kill Little Sisters is almost a pointless element to the game, you get better rewards for saving and the woman pretty much tells you she can help them, it is in no way a difficult moral or gameplay decision. The twist near the end about them controlling you was pretty cool and original but that is it, it's nothing that makes me go, "Oh what a nice piece of dialoge I better give the game a 10 because those few lines just made up for all the problems that this game has."

The atmosphere was nice but that can't make up for poor gameplay, and I felt that the atmosphere wasn't as good the more the game went on. It was amazing when you started with the plane crashing, the statue of Andrew, first seeing the city, the shadow of the crazy lady with what you though was a baby then turned out to be a gun, but once the demo ended it just stopped being anywhere near as interesting.

Most of the people praising Bioshock so much have never played an FPS game with a decent story or good environment. Sure some people will be exceptions but for most people, if I only played a bunch of games like Gears of War and Halo I would find Bioshock to be amazing as well. It's like the people looking at trailers for Dragons Age Origin and, stupidly, comparing it to Oblivion instead of Baldurs Gate, Neverwinter, Icewind Dale,or Planescape and thinking that it looks terrible. They haven't played anything like it to compare it to to see how it stacks up.

**SPOILER**

the game needed to be about fetch quests, because you were a robot, following commands.

but otherwise, i agree that the RPG elements were somewhat flawed, and a little weak/uneccessary. the little sister moral choices and the ending were not my favourtie parts, but the rest of the game was very good. it doesn't need to be compared and rated directly to other FPS games. it's a philosophical, immersive story.

MentatAssassin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#19 MentatAssassin
Member since 2005 • 3007 Posts

I bought this game well over a year ago, played it for awhile then forgot about it cause I just couldnt get into it. Then I picked it up again recently, started playing itand now I love it. I dont know what changed but I see now why it keeps getting all the praise it does.

Allicrombie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

#20 Allicrombie
Member since 2005 • 26223 Posts
I loved Bioshock. I generally see games as another form of storytelling medium. Is it a perfect game? Of course not. But it doesnt have to be. I thought the atmosphere and story were compelling enough to play it through to the end, and more importantly, that it was a blast to play.
chadwick1343

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 36

#21 chadwick1343
Member since 2009 • 944 Posts
I agree, the game is drastically overrated. I love the cinematic styling and the production value is awesome but when it comes to gameplay it doesnt hold up.
redeskimo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#22 redeskimo
Member since 2008 • 124 Posts

Fallout 3 changed my view in the game. BioShock has fantastic cinamatics and gameplay but you were right there isnt enough weopon choice. isnt that what makes an RPG good. fallout 3 has a big variety of wepeons and no matter how much you play it it doesnt get old but bioshock is also good. its a unique game. pretty good though. id say better off with fallout 3.

caddy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 caddy
Member since 2005 • 28709 Posts
You pretty much share my opinion on Bioshock. The story is great, and I can really appreciate it, but the gameplay is not so great. It's a decent game, but it's certainly not one of the best games of all time.
Dire_Weasel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#24 Dire_Weasel
Member since 2002 • 16681 Posts

Yes, but I'm not going to bother trying to sell you on the game. If you don't like it, that's your incorrect opinion.

DJ_Lae

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 73

#25 DJ_Lae
Member since 2002 • 42748 Posts
I got it for $5 on Steam - it's about what it's worth. I still think it would have worked far better as a straight adventure game, as the shooting portions are incredibly unsatisfying. The weapons have no impact, the enemies barely acknowledge your assault and the only indication they're getting hit is a decreasing lifebar. Whee. Couple that with plasmids that are almost universally useless and a wrench that's a better weapon than most of the guns and you have an incredibly atmospheric game with a compelling story where you spend most of your time running around shooting three different cloned enemies with the digital equivalent of BB guns. I'm probably sounding a bit harsh, and I shouldn't as I did enjoy the game, but I'm still mystified why they decided to make it a shooter - and why they decided to put so much combat in it when the game does it so poorly. Also, the hacking minigames. WTF.
LongZhiZi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 LongZhiZi
Member since 2009 • 2453 Posts
I couldn't understand what people liked about it either. In fact, while I've only played through a few chapters of the game, I'll go out and say this clearly: the story sucks. It's an interesting environment, but they managed to do nothing else well. I may give it another try when I get back home.
shadowkiller11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#27 shadowkiller11
Member since 2008 • 7956 Posts
Its great, great plot, great atmosphere, great twists, great graphics, good gameplay. etc
Legolas_Katarn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 1

#28 Legolas_Katarn
Member since 2003 • 15556 Posts

you were right there isnt enough weopon choice. isnt that what makes an RPG good.

I think most people would put skills/abilities, dialogue options, choices, multiple way to deal with problems (other than which gun to shoot it with), etc before something like weapon choices.
DJ_Lae

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 73

#29 DJ_Lae
Member since 2002 • 42748 Posts

Oh, yeah, I forgot about the end of the game.

What a slap in the face.

Talk about giving the middle finger to the player and invalidating everything that came up to that point.

[spoiler] Instead of having a moment that actually touches on the story of the game, you're thrust into a copy of a final boss battle from every FPS since the Doom era, which is made worse by the game's shoddy combat. Then after you beat him there's a twenty second (if that) FMV that varies depending on whether you played the game good or bad. That's it - that's where the touted 'choice' comes into play and it's completely hollow and meaningless. [/spoiler]

I don't know how they could have fixed it, but man, what a letdown.

btaylor2404

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 35

#30 btaylor2404
Member since 2003 • 11353 Posts
Well, it was a beautiful game, fantastic story, interesting foes, varying puzzles (hacks, Uinvent, ect..). Other than MGS4 it's easily my favorite game of this generation.
chadwick1343

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 36

#31 chadwick1343
Member since 2009 • 944 Posts

Fallout 3 changed my view in the game. BioShock has fantastic cinamatics and gameplay but you were right there isnt enough weopon choice. isnt that what makes an RPG good. fallout 3 has a big variety of wepeons and no matter how much you play it it doesnt get old but bioshock is also good. its a unique game. pretty good though. id say better off with fallout 3.

redeskimo
Agreed. Fallout makes Bioshock look paltry in comparison
LtReviews

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 68

#32 LtReviews
Member since 2009 • 940 Posts

if you didn't like it the first time- try playing again, but get different plasmids.

The second time I played through, I saved the lil' gals, and had alot more fun with the reward plasmids

Avatar image for Black_Knight_00
Black_Knight_00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#33 Black_Knight_00
Member since 2007 • 77 Posts
Bulletproof enemies and limited ammo never work well together, that's my main complain about this game. Still, graphical and sound design raised the bar up a notch and voice acting was downright superior. The story was well conceived, though only explained in short audio logs. Controls could have used some tweaking, but overall, Bioshock remains a great game whose strong points easily overshadow its minor flaws.