Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 5

#2 xantufrog  Moderator
Member since 2013 • 17875 Posts

The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt Review

But seriously, yeah it's awesome. But only for the right person - it's a huge grim fantasy RPG. If those things aren't your cup of tea then it probably won't be enjoyable. But I can't stop thinking about it at work :-P

Bigboi500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 0

#3 Bigboi500
Member since 2007 • 35550 Posts

SO GUD!

Telekill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#4 Telekill
Member since 2003 • 12061 Posts

I've only had time to play about 3-4 hours but so far I'm enjoying it.

Edge_Plus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#5 Edge_Plus
Member since 2013 • 135 Posts

I'm having a very fun time playing it. One of the best games I've played on Xbox one so far.

Shmiity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#6  Edited By Shmiity
Member since 2006 • 6625 Posts

I'm doing it on a harder difficulty setting, and am really enjoying the challenge. Looks good, plays well- and is pretty engrossing. Only thing I'm disappointed in is that CD Project Red kept saying "No loading times" like the open world would flow uninterrupted - but the game seems like it's set up like Dragon age: Inq. A bunch of big, disconnected mission areas.

JangoWuzHere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#7  Edited By JangoWuzHere
Member since 2007 • 19032 Posts

@Shmiity said:

I'm doing it on a harder difficulty setting, and am really enjoying the challenge. Looks good, plays well- and is pretty engrossing. Only thing I'm disappointed in is that CD Project Red kept saying "No loading times" like the open world would flow uninterrupted - but the game seems like it's set up like Dragon age: Inq. A bunch of big, disconnected mission areas.

Sure, but the areas in The Witcher 3 are much larger then anything in Dragon Age. They also have a lot more stuff to do and people to interact with.

One entire land mass in The Witcher 3 could be room for an entire game (not counting white orchard.)

sukraj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#8  Edited By sukraj
Member since 2008 • 27859 Posts

I'm only an hour into the game and I very rarely play RPG games but I'm loving this one.

quatoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 28

#9 quatoe
Member since 2005 • 7242 Posts

It is awesome.

MirkoS77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#10 MirkoS77
Member since 2011 • 17676 Posts

Yes it's good. It's very, very good. Not at all perfect, but the whole package is exceptional so far I've played.

Ariabed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Ariabed
Member since 2014 • 2121 Posts

@MirkoS77 said:

Yes it's good. It's very, very good. Not at all perfect, but the whole package is exceptional so far I've played.

10/10!? It should be bloody perfect. I'm getting the feeling(from comments in other threads) that combat sucks ass in this game like it did in the other two games before it.

Planeforger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#12  Edited By Planeforger
Member since 2004 • 19583 Posts

@ariabed said:
@MirkoS77 said:

10/10!? It should be bloody perfect. I'm getting the feeling(from comments in other threads) that combat sucks ass in this game like it did in the other two games before it.

The combat is actually pretty excellent. Most of the people saying otherwise are either playing on an easy difficulty setting, or don't understand the controls.

So far, I have nothing particularly negative to say about the game at all. It's a brilliant game.

xantufrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#13  Edited By xantufrog  Moderator
Member since 2013 • 17875 Posts

I agree, the combat's pretty great. It's much much improved over TW2 - much more responsive. The thing about the combat in these games: it's complex. You can't just clickyclickyclicky like in Skyrim and call it a day (unless maybe you are on easy). Play on hard and you have to be really smart and draw on all your combat resources

hrt_rulz01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 hrt_rulz01
Member since 2006 • 22389 Posts

It's amazing!

allbulldogg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 allbulldogg
Member since 2005 • 139 Posts

I'm really enjoying it. I also think its important to support companies like CD PROJECK RED. Those guys allowed the game to come out early. at least where i live (Boston) you could get it at gamestop monday or dl it on ps4. i was playing it Monday at 7pm. They also have 12-14 planned free dlcs coming out. Reviews were out a week before the game came out which in this current game generation doesn't happen that often most of the time the reviews are same day as release or after depending on the end of the embargo on the game. if you enjoy rpgs you'll be happy.

JigglyWiggly_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#16  Edited By JigglyWiggly_
Member since 2009 • 24625 Posts

Yes it's very good.

Byshop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#17 Byshop  Moderator
Member since 2002 • 20504 Posts

@stash215champ: Yes, it is. And again, please stop posting in all caps. It's considered "dispruptive posting" in our CoC.

Thanks.

-Byshop

MirkoS77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#18  Edited By MirkoS77
Member since 2011 • 17676 Posts

@xantufrog said:

I agree, the combat's pretty great. It's much much improved over TW2 - much more responsive. The thing about the combat in these games: it's complex. You can't just clickyclickyclicky like in Skyrim and call it a day (unless maybe you are on easy). Play on hard and you have to be really smart and draw on all your combat resources

I was not enjoying the combat until I understood and approached it better. At first I was just spamming the button on enemies. This was suicide. A few tips I've learned.

• don't use lock and try to switch between enemies with RS when fighting mobs. This was my biggest mistake that took a while to understand at first. Geralt already faces and attacks the closest enemy (which shows their life bars who he's focused on), and to target another just push the stick in their direction and attack. Locks should be for singular enemies only and used to help with camera control.
  • don't wail. Stamina and tiring out is a huge concern, and is affected by armor class and stats.
  • be methodical. Circle your enemies slowly, quickly sidestep their charges and swings (which are easy to see coming) and engage, then roll away.
  • rolling should only be used when overwhelmed to get out of dodge and regain composure as it consumes stamina and lends distance. Do not roll, try to run up, and attack. This will give enemies time to recover, and you'll lose. Rolls should not be used for combat, but as a means to avoid it.

At higher difficulties, you really have to be tactical. It's like a cat and mouse game. Feel the enemies out. Wait for them to strike, sidestep, counter, then back off. Mix in spells and items as needed, then repeat. Which is the only weakness I can lay at the combat here.....its redundancy. But every game's combat get redundant because it's a mechanic. But abilities will improve throughout the game that will make it more varied, so even then it's only a half-valid criticism.

I love fighting in this and look forward to every encounter. It's not clunky, on the contrary its smooth and responsive. It just requires a light touch, a patient approach, and some skill.

MiguelNoche

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 MiguelNoche
Member since 2005 • 226 Posts

My only complaint is going blind squinting to read the minuscule text. Thankfully, a patch is coming to correct it.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f3ec00254b0d
deactivated-5f3ec00254b0d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

#20 deactivated-5f3ec00254b0d
Member since 2009 • 6278 Posts

It's so good that I'm in my 3rd day without smoking!