Is the 2D Side Scrolling Shooter Genre dead ?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

RoyalWCheese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 RoyalWCheese
Member since 2010 • 284 Posts

The last one I ever heard about was Nanostray..... Has there been any other good ones that have come out recently ? ( I'm talking about games like Gladius )

marcogamer07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#2 marcogamer07
Member since 2008 • 1615 Posts

Not any that I know of...

discipleofsin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 discipleofsin
Member since 2004 • 352 Posts

isn't pixeljunk shooter 2 coming out soon? shooters are still coming out, you just have search for 'em

vadicta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 58

#4 vadicta
Member since 2007 • 4354 Posts

Comic Jumper just came out. I haven't had a chance to play it yet, but it looks really good.

ThePerro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 45

#5 ThePerro
Member since 2006 • 3105 Posts

Hard Corps Uprising
Bionic Commando Rearmed 2

Chris_Watters

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#6 Chris_Watters
Member since 2007 • 454 Posts

Check out the Otomedius games on Xbox Live Arcade, like this one:

http://www.gamespot.com/xbox360/action/otomediusx/index.html?tag=result%3Btitle%3B1

Avatar image for deactivated-5c37d3adcd094
deactivated-5c37d3adcd094

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 deactivated-5c37d3adcd094
Member since 2006 • 8362 Posts
Blast Works?
Spirit_of_87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Spirit_of_87
Member since 2003 • 2423 Posts

http://www.gamespot.com/xbox360/action/otomediusx/index.html?tag=result%3Btitle%3B1

Chris_Watters
Only download content is available on XBLA but you need the actual disc to play the game and for now both entries are japan only but, Otomedius Excellent is coming to the U.S. in january of 2011. @ topic creator: Since Nanostray, nanostray 2 has been released as well as death smiles 1 & 2, gradius rebirth & Darius burst. Also bit trip fate. That's about all i can remember for vertical shooters. Horizontal shooters are booming! Particularly with Cave: dodon pachi resurrection, mushihimesama futari, espgaluda 2, muchi muchi pork, pink sweets etc... Raiden jet fighters was also released along with raiden 4. Anyway, to answer your question, this genre isn't dead you're just going to have to import a few titles. Also gunwage comes out in early November and if you want to play some classics then the VC and PSN japan are great and while you're at it check out space invaders extreme and infinity :wink:
despa1r_fact0r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#9 despa1r_fact0r
Member since 2008 • 24611 Posts
Both Bangai-O and Radiant Silvergun are getting HD remakes for XBLA
Yangire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Yangire
Member since 2010 • 8795 Posts

There are many still being released in the arcades and to the PS2/360, Japan only though.

RoyalWCheese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 RoyalWCheese
Member since 2010 • 284 Posts
[QUOTE="Chris_Watters"]

Spirit_of_87
Only download content is available on XBLA but you need the actual disc to play the game and for now both entries are japan only but, Otomedius Excellent is coming to the U.S. in january of 2011. @ topic creator: Since Nanostray, nanostray 2 has been released as well as death smiles 1 & 2, gradius rebirth & Darius burst. Also bit trip fate. That's about all i can remember for vertical shooters. Horizontal shooters are booming! Particularly with Cave: dodon pachi resurrection, mushihimesama futari, espgaluda 2, muchi muchi pork, pink sweets etc... Raiden jet fighters was also released along with raiden 4. Anyway, to answer your question, this genre isn't dead you're just going to have to import a few titles. Also gunwage comes out in early November and if you want to play some classics then the VC and PSN japan are great and while you're at it check out space invaders extreme and infinity :wink:

Thank you ! I do wish some developers would go full out and make a full 2D side scrolling shooter retail game, instead of just indie PSN / Wii / XBLA games though... But it will have to do in the meantime, and I will check out playasia for some imports tonight :D !~
Archendrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Archendrus
Member since 2010 • 306 Posts

One other series I didn't see listed here. The Soldner X series. There's two of them so far. Again, both downloadable games. I've only played the first one, but it's good! Really hard though.

sayyy-gaa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 sayyy-gaa
Member since 2002 • 5850 Posts
Both Bangai-O and Radiant Silvergun are getting HD remakes for XBLAdespa1r_fact0r
Dude, this is news to me. A chance to play the fabled radiant silvergun? I play bangai-o tons on my dreamcast. You wouldn't happen to have a link that talks about this stuff would you? This would be enough for me to get a 360 instead of upgrading to a better laptop!
wiifan001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 35

#14 wiifan001
Member since 2007 • 18660 Posts
Mega Man is up and fighting ;)
despa1r_fact0r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#15 despa1r_fact0r
Member since 2008 • 24611 Posts

[QUOTE="despa1r_fact0r"]Both Bangai-O and Radiant Silvergun are getting HD remakes for XBLAsayyy-gaa
Dude, this is news to me. A chance to play the fabled radiant silvergun? I play bangai-o tons on my dreamcast. You wouldn't happen to have a link that talks about this stuff would you? This would be enough for me to get a 360 instead of upgrading to a better laptop!

Here is a 1up article with a trailer.

ArchoNils2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#16 ArchoNils2
Member since 2005 • 10534 Posts

There are a few around, like Soldner X - Himmelsstürmer 1/2 or the three anime-stylisch games: GundeadliGne, Hitogata Happa and ... forgot the last xD

Others like Super Stardust HD or Powerup Forever are very simmular too.