Is square enix loses its touch?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

project-exile

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 project-exile
Member since 2008 • 904 Posts

Ever since final fantasy 10 came out all I have seen is remakes or games that just to be don't make the cut. I really tried to get into final fantasy 12 I did not like the battle system and I could not stand how even if you ran you still where chased. The story was not the best it could be in terms of previous final fantasy games. I remember back in the 90's squaresoft had tons of great games that where fun and exciting. Since sakaguchi san left square it seems that square is struggling to even come up with a game that holds to the calibur of quality that they used to be able to do. Now I read a article on final fantasy republic that said Miwa Shoda a scenario writer for square enix is being told to focus less on storyline.

"I've worked all over the place and gained a great deal of valuable experience from all sorts of people, and learned approaches to writing games I would not have been able to do on my own, but the one approach I could never understand is the notion that 'games don't need storylines"

I even heard that some of the composers that are working at square enix are being forced out, for what reason I have no idea. It seems to be that square enix is sabotage itself. Am I I wrong or is this square enix destroying itself?

BaTTmayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 BaTTmayne
Member since 2008 • 25 Posts

Final Fantasy 7: Crisis Core was a really good game imo...and it was for the PSP.

Easily PSP's best game. I doubt anything would top it for the PSP.

Avatar image for bobbleheadrogue
bobbleheadrogue

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#3 bobbleheadrogue
Member since 2009 • 2203 Posts
[QUOTE="BaTTmayne"]

Final Fantasy 7: Crisis Core was a really good game imo...and it was for the PSP.

Easily PSP's best game. I doubt anything would top it for the PSP.

that...we agree on...never tried FF13 though :P
erdemn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 erdemn
Member since 2010 • 213 Posts
if you have a ds, you should try "the world ends with you". Square still has it, but its really getting less with every year:(
project-exile

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 project-exile
I have not played final fantasy 13 either so I cannot even make a comment on that game yet. I have heard that until like disc 2 does the game finally let you explore to some degree. When I mean explore I mean that in the smallest degree since there are no airships, no towns or anything like that. It is almost like final fantasy 10 until you got to the end of the game did you actually where able to explore without following the story. I guess I am I a old school rpg gamer that likes to explore and graphics and cgi are great and all but I really care about the game play.
project-exile

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 project-exile
I wonder since nintendo is having a final fantasy game for the new ds 3d system and next year secret of mana is turning 25 I wonder if they are actually going to do anything besides the announcement of secret of mana being on the iphone.
ChiliDragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 ChiliDragon
Member since 2006 • 8444 Posts
[QUOTE="erdemn"]if you have a ds, you should try "the world ends with you". Square still has it, but its really getting less with every year:(

I was going to mention this. And also that given that they're still churning out linear and predictable RPGs with amazing cut-scenes, teen protagonists, super-bubbly girls and ridiculously over-the-top enemies, Square still has the same exact touch that they've always had. :P TWEWY was different in an innovative and very creative way when it came to both gameplay and story, and I'm a little sad that I was surprised to see that in a Square-Enix game. I used to really enjoy their games, I'd like to keep enjoying them.
project-exile

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 project-exile
Ridiculously over the top enemies you are telling me lol. When I first played final fantasy 4 on the snes I got stomped on so bad in that game. I was fighting in the final dungeon and one enemy took all of my hp down to one I was like Woah I am not ready for this area. Speaking about final fantasy ten I was fighting the last boss and I got past the first part and then I see the boss take out that large sword. I can see my death just coming. One spike of that big sword and all of my characters died. Final fantasy games have always been challenging to say the least without even trying.
wiouds

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 wiouds
Member since 2004 • 6233 Posts

They seam to be trying to go main stream while trying not to change what they do.

FF13 still have rich enemies compare to the other games this gen. I would say they are some of the riches enemies I have fought on the xbox 360.

Flame_Blade88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#10 Flame_Blade88
Member since 2005 • 39348 Posts
In terms of console games, Square Enix lost its touch IMO with Final Fantasy XII and on. Portable games though, they're still at it. The World Ends With You and Crisis Core are amazing games.
Gnosis13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#11 Gnosis13
Member since 2010 • 366 Posts

In terms of console games, Square Enix lost its touch IMO with Final Fantasy XII and on. Portable games though, they're still at it. The World Ends With You and Crisis Core are amazing games.Flame_Blade88

Close. IX was good, and X was great. From then on, something bad happened.

project-exile

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 project-exile
I know what happened sakaguchi san left and took all the talent with him lol.
CaptainAhab13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#13 CaptainAhab13
Member since 2010 • 5121 Posts

I feel that people are getting too used to the FF formula... Square needs to do something new. Hopefully FF XIV will be an incredible MMORPG.

BaTTmayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 BaTTmayne
Member since 2008 • 25 Posts

FF14 will be great too. I know its a MMO but still, it's going to be epic imo.

Fact: I have only played FF7:Crisis Core and FF11 Online. I never owend a Ps2 (Xbox gamer) and never got it for PS1.

I know I know you guys hate me.

But I will be getting 13 after I beat Conviction, RDR, and War for Cybertron.

King9999

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 44

#15 King9999
Member since 2002 • 11837 Posts

Square Enix definitely isn't the powerhouse they used to be, IMO. I finished FF13 today, and while the combat system is good, everything else about the game rubs me the wrong way. Everyone's hoping that FF13 Versus is going to be the game that FF13 wasn't, but we know almost nothing about it.

The World Ends With You is a great game, but we may not get a game like that again. Crisis Core isn't so great. Still hoping for another Ogre Battle game.

Avatar image for just_nonplussed
just_nonplussed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 77

#16 just_nonplussed
Member since 2006 • 4130 Posts

square are a franchise farm now.. they used to make original games like chrono trigger, vagrant story and secret of mana. now it's just kingdom hearts and final fantasy. and expect the future to be full of FPSs! tetsuya nomura stated at E3 that he wanted to make an FPS next.

Avatar image for just_nonplussed
just_nonplussed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 77

#17 just_nonplussed
Member since 2006 • 4130 Posts
I know what happened sakaguchi san left and took all the talent with him lol.project-exile
yeah sakaguchi and mistwalker continues to make original IPs. i'm looking forward to their wii game, the last story.
CarnageHeart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 CarnageHeart
Member since 2002 • 18316 Posts

[QUOTE="project-exile"]I know what happened sakaguchi san left and took all the talent with him lol.just_nonplussed
yeah sakaguchi and mistwalker continues to make original IPs. i'm looking forward to their wii game, the last story.

Mistwalker makes original IPs, but they have yet to make an original game. Their games have HD graphics, but cling slavishly to long outmoded gameplay conventions.

DJ-Lafleur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#19 DJ-Lafleur
Member since 2007 • 35604 Posts

Eh, I actually enjoyed Final fantasy XIII; I felt it was an improvement over FFXII in pretty much every aspect. But I hated FFX-2, and again, FFXII wasn't that good to me, sooooo...maybe.

Avatar image for storm_trooper10
storm_trooper10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#20 storm_trooper10
Member since 2009 • 261 Posts
SquareEnix lost it touch after the merge... making final fantasy games was just them being shy from what they did before. Front Mission series is maybe the only series they bought forward. Enix side had the Dragon Quest series, that was great, but then there was Valkyire Profile 2 on the PS2 however it was really unforgiving just for even trying it out. I think Square side is very shy when it comes to developing titles for the west. They have Eidos aswell.
LoG-Sacrament

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 33

#21 LoG-Sacrament
Member since 2006 • 20397 Posts
i wouldnt say so. xii, xi, and x were great jrpg's that pushed the series forward. xiii had a strong main quest even if the side missions were dull.
jasonharris48

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 jasonharris48
Member since 2006 • 21441 Posts

[QUOTE="just_nonplussed"][QUOTE="project-exile"]I know what happened sakaguchi san left and took all the talent with him lol.CarnageHeart

Mistwalker makes original IPs, but they have yet to make an original game. Their games have HD graphics, but cling slavishly to long outmoded gameplay conventions.

I agree, I hope they change it up with the Last Story though (or hopefully it isn't as boring as Lost Odyssey was)

ASK_Story

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 ASK_Story
Member since 2006 • 11455 Posts
Yes and no. Yes, they don't have the same influence like they used to during the SNES/PS1/PS2 era. They made a few mediocre but still pretty good games like Last Remnant, Infinite Undiscovery, etc. And FFXIII divided fans. Some loved it and the rest hated it. No, because their remakes and handheld support is still strong. The Dragon Quest games on the DS, Kingdom Hearts, and games like 3rd Birthday is looking good. Also, whether people like it or not, FFXIII sold pretty darn well so it's obviously still relevant in the market. They still have a lot to prove and they are not the same powerhouse developer like they used to be. But they're still a powerhouse and people still care about what they do.
MLBknights58

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 MLBknights58
Member since 2006 • 5016 Posts

Can't say much as to what Square Enix is doing on the portables, but I have loved every Final Fantasy they have released lately,FFXII and FFXIII. Both excellent, excellent games if you can adapt to the new changes. FFXIII was amazing IMO, great story, great combat, and quite challenging.

naelgilani

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 naelgilani
Member since 2003 • 45 Posts

They are becoming more main stream now especially since the merge to become Square-Enix. They have alot of IPs to work on now and so spread out their time on them where as before they mainly had the Final Fantasy series. Their goals and direction has also probably changed sincet he PSX era.

At the same time I think it is just with the type of games they are making. As far as the final fantasy games on the console games go they are going away from turn based JRPGs to more of a of modern RPG as far as combat system so it might just be that that is giving you the feeling. I know that is the reason why I am not as big a fan of them as I used to.

jasonharris48

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 jasonharris48

They are becoming more main stream now especially since the merge to become Square-Enix. They have alot of IPs to work on now and so spread out their time on them where as before they mainly had the Final Fantasy series. Their goals and direction has also probably changed sincet he PSX era.

At the same time I think it is just with the type of games they are making. As far as the final fantasy games on the console games go they are going away from turn based JRPGs to more of a of modern RPG as far as combat system so it might just be that that is giving you the feeling. I know that is the reason why I am not as big a fan of them as I used to.

naelgilani

I find it funny people mention the merger. Square was going in that route years before the merger.

T_REX305

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 T_REX305
Member since 2010 • 11304 Posts

if you have a ds, you should try "the world ends with you". Square still has it, but its really getting less with every year:(erdemn

yeah that game is great. i love it. i think square has its touch here and there.

Systems_Id

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Systems_Id
Member since 2002 • 8156 Posts

They've lost it for awhile now but FFXIII confirmed that Mitsuno was the only design talent they had left before he quit. FFXIII is the first legitimately terrible Final Fantasy game SE has ever released. The level design is awful, the story is, not only terrible, but poorly told, and the battle system is a boring piece of automated tripe. XIII will probably be the last Final Fantasy game I buy until they hire some people who know how to design a game.

project-exile

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 project-exile
I am so used to playing JRPG's just like you and that has been for me since 91 since final fantasy 4 came to the us back in the day. I guess I am a old fashioned rpg fan I like turn based games and backgrounds of 2d based designs back in the hay day. I have always been impressed by squares 3d designs and cgi movies that are in the games. I like 3d and then I don't I sometimes think game companies use it to be more like flashy or stuff like that. I guess my main complaint about square recently is their games used to mean something to me back in the day. It was not just the story or the graphics it was something different. I see final fantasy games now just look like a big mess that is what I got out of final fantasy 12. It felt to big and I did not like the battle system.
texasgoldrush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#30 texasgoldrush
Member since 2003 • 14922 Posts

They've lost it for awhile now but FFXIII confirmed that Mitsuno was the only design talent they had left before he quit. FFXIII is the first legitimately terrible Final Fantasy game SE has ever released. The level design is awful, the story is, not only terrible, but poorly told, and the battle system is a boring piece of automated tripe. XIII will probably be the last Final Fantasy game I buy until they hire some people who know how to design a game.

Systems_Id
agreed
jasonharris48

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 jasonharris48

[QUOTE="Systems_Id"]

texasgoldrush

agreed

They should really give Production Team 1 a break. Seriously out side of Team 4 (FFXII) and Team 3 (FFXI and XIV) they have developed most FF titles since FF6 or 7 I can't remember lol. To be honest I'm tried of the team and especially after playing FFXIII (only main stream FF title I didn't bother to finish).

Avatar image for SteveTabernacle
SteveTabernacle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#32 SteveTabernacle
Member since 2010 • 2584 Posts
Nah, I like them just fine. FF13 is a fantastic game that I enjoy immensely. Great battle system, characters, game world, and a fantastic epic cinematic presentation. The Last Remnant is also a legit great game, beneath the unfortunate technical issues on the 360 version. I just wish they could get in a groove where they can produce games a bit faster.
Box_Fresh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Box_Fresh
Member since 2009 • 137 Posts
I think so... but every company has their momentary dips of creativity. FFX, FFXI, FFXII were great but FFXIII was just hard to watch... It looked stunning and the combat was unique too but the dialogue, my god! It felt like a midday soap opera and not to mention the skipping between scenes looked rushed and sometimes I had no idea how I got from one place to the next. The constant remakes on handhelds are such a waste... Use those studios to make new enjoyable IPs such as The World Ends With You. Kingdom Hearts I and II were good too but the continuous whoring of the title to portables is just ridiculous. I don't play long story driven games on portables, its that simple. If Im on a portable game it's because I just want to muck around for a little while. I wouldn't mind them dipping back into some other less touched franchises though. Like Bouncer/Xeno/Parasite Eve/Chrono/SaGa/Vagrant/Drakengard They need to get over their power trip with Final Fantasy. And that's coming from a big FF fan.
project-exile

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 project-exile
I would love to see a new chrono game or maybe even a new mana game. Next year secret of mana is turning 25 years old if they are going to even revive that series that would be the right time. As for a new xenogears game or series I think that series went down hill and never came back. With what happened with the last xenosaga game I highly doubt anything will ever happen again. Often wondered why square makes certain titles and then don't really put as much effort into them like say the mana series with the last couple of titles it had something going but never had it. I would love if square would focus less on final fantasy games and do something different for a change. It is either final fantasy or kingdom hearts this kind of is getting on my nerves. Square used to branch out and do different things but not now. I really think square does not care much about what we want. Look how long it took for them to actually do anything with the chrono trigger series.
wizdom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#35 wizdom
Member since 2003 • 10111 Posts
[QUOTE="project-exile"]

Ever since final fantasy 10 came out all I have seen is remakes or games that just to be don't make the cut. I really tried to get into final fantasy 12 I did not like the battle system and I could not stand how even if you ran you still where chased. The story was not the best it could be in terms of previous final fantasy games. I remember back in the 90's squaresoft had tons of great games that where fun and exciting. Since sakaguchi san left square it seems that square is struggling to even come up with a game that holds to the calibur of quality that they used to be able to do. Now I read a article on final fantasy republic that said Miwa Shoda a scenario writer for square enix is being told to focus less on storyline.

"I've worked all over the place and gained a great deal of valuable experience from all sorts of people, and learned approaches to writing games I would not have been able to do on my own, but the one approach I could never understand is the notion that 'games don't need storylines"

I even heard that some of the composers that are working at square enix are being forced out, for what reason I have no idea. It seems to be that square enix is sabotage itself. Am I I wrong or is this square enix destroying itself?

Destroying themselves? Yes, they are still making good games, and FFX12 imo was their last AAA game, Sqaure is still making good games that sell, just because they aren't AAA doesn't mean they are destroying themselves, that's a crazy thing to say in my books.
project-exile

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 project-exile
Well most of their good talents artists or writers or composers have all jumped ship or where forced out by some top executive. If a company wants to survive you don't kick good artists to the road and send them packing. The president of square enix only cares about profits not what you think or care about. He was brought in for profits nothing else. Why do you think most people left when sakaguchi san left square there has to be a reason and it does not look good at all.