Is my precious Gameboy original faulty?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

grarap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 0

#1 grarap
Member since 2004 • 5780 Posts

Recently I decided to relive my days of yore by getting an old gameboy original (nice and cheap) and Pokemon Blue. The first unit I received was scratched to [four letter expletive] and had a really odd sound coming out of the speaker; a kind of loud buzzing and a high-pitched squeal combined. I returned it for a new one. To my horror, my new unscratched model makes EXACTLY the same sound. They're totally identical, even the volume of the buzz is the same. I tried changing my batteries and everything, but still the squeal cometh.

So did the gameboy always make such a god-awful sound, or am I just unlucky? I'm assuming the former is correct, but I just want confirmation.

Cook66

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#2 Cook66
Member since 2004 • 5182 Posts
I've played on at least 5 different good old gray bricks and the only annoying sounds I heard was the Tetris melody over and over, but it's been years since I touched one so the memories may be nostalgicly fuzzy. :P
grarap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#3 grarap
Member since 2004 • 5780 Posts
Well when the tetris melody is going you cant hear anything other than the thud of the bricks :) It's not a sound you notice until you turn your ear towards the speaker, if that doesnt sound too odd :P
zeus_gb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 51

#4 zeus_gb
Member since 2004 • 7793 Posts
It depends on what you mean by a squealing/buzzing. When you have the volume full and put your ear to the speaker who may be able to hear a bit of distortion but no squealing or buzzing.
amozarte

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 28

#5 amozarte
Member since 2008 • 1536 Posts

The only sort of squealing or buzzing I've ever heard is the interference that happens if my cell phone is right next to my Gameboy. But the handheld itself shouldn't be making any extra noise on its own. I'd take it to the store where you bought it and demonstrate it for them. If it's something normal, they'll tell you. If not, they'll get you another exchange ;) Best of luck!