Is gamefly worth it

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Smurkeysmurk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Smurkeysmurk
Member since 2010 • 87 Posts

I am thinking about getting gamefly. But first I have a couple of question to those who have it. On average haw many days does the game take to get to your house? Also if you want to buy the game is the game at retail price or is it cheaper? Also have you had any problems like getting the wrong game or anything like that? Is he price worth it?

Private_Adam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#2 Private_Adam
Member since 2005 • 9864 Posts
It's worth it. It takes about two days for a game to get to my house, and it takes about two days for them to get the game. Also, I never received the wrong game, and if you decide to buy the game then it will cost you less, but it's used.
SavageM2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3 SavageM2
Member since 2005 • 10800 Posts

I would say it is worth it. When I used to use it my games usually came in 2-3 days. (though there is a shipping center right in PA, so that could have helped a bit :P) You can buy games some new and some used. Usually you can find a pretty darn good deal.
I remember buying Grand Theft Auto IV the week it came out for about $45.

Some games had the "keep it" option. Where if you rented a game and wanted to buy it you could go on GameFly's website and select "keep it". They would then send you the case and manual of the game (games I bought had excellent cases and manuals since GameFly just opens the case takes the disc out and puts the case on a shelf somewhere) Having you keep the disc that you had rented out. Then sending the next game out on your list.

I have never gotten the wrong game before. Some games can have different waiting periods depending on how many copies are rented out at the time. So the game that is on the top of your list isn't always the one that is going to get sent out. They pick the first one on your list that is available to be sent out. I was fortunate to only have had a problem once. They sent out The Darkness, and it took and absurdly long time to get to me. (so long that I reported it to GameFly, worried that it got lost in the mail) Though that time I think it was the postal service's fault. All in all I would say go for it. They still probably offer the free month trial to new usuers if you want to give it a spin first.

Smurkeysmurk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Smurkeysmurk
Member since 2010 • 87 Posts

I would say it is worth it. When I used to use it my games usually came in 2-3 days. (though there is a shipping center right in PA, so that could have helped a bit :P) You can buy games some new and some used. Usually you can find a pretty darn good deal.
I remember buying Grand Theft Auto IV the week it came out for about $45.

Some games had the "keep it" option. Where if you rented a game and wanted to buy it you could go on GameFly's website and select "keep it". They would then send you the case and manual of the game (games I bought had excellent cases and manuals since GameFly just opens the case takes the disc out and puts the case on a shelf somewhere) Having you keep the disc that you had rented out. Then sending the next game out on your list.

I have never gotten the wrong game before. Some games can have different waiting periods depending on how many copies are rented out at the time. So the game that is on the top of your list isn't always the one that is going to get sent out. They pick the first one on your list that is available to be sent out. I was fortunate to only have had a problem once. They sent out The Darkness, and it took and absurdly long time to get to me. (so long that I reported it to GameFly, worried that it got lost in the mail) Though that time I think it was the postal service's fault. All in all I would say go for it. They still probably offer the free month trial to new usuers if you want to give it a spin first.

SavageM2

Sounds awesome I think I am going to try gamefly and see if I like it.

_Bear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 _Bear
Member since 2002 • 18760 Posts
If you don't like it you can always cancel after a few weeks/months. I use them to buy a lot of used games from, great prices and newer titles I just bought Bio Shock 2 for 17.99 can't beat that.
AskanTale

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 AskanTale
Member since 2007 • 182 Posts
If you don't like it you can always cancel after a few weeks/months. I use them to buy a lot of used games from, great prices and newer titles I just bought Bio Shock 2 for 17.99 can't beat that._Bear
can you buy their used games without being their subscriber?
SavageM2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 SavageM2
Member since 2005 • 10800 Posts

[QUOTE="_Bear"]If you don't like it you can always cancel after a few weeks/months. I use them to buy a lot of used games from, great prices and newer titles I just bought Bio Shock 2 for 17.99 can't beat that.AskanTale
can you buy their used games without being their subscriber?

Took this right from GameFly's website:

"You do not have to be a GameFly renting member in order to buy games from us. However, if you have an active paying rental membership with GameFly, you would have the added benefitof free shipping and handling on all used purchases.

To buy a game without an active rental membership, you can create a Buyer-only account which has no monthly fees associated with it. To create a Buyer-only account, just click "BUY" on a game, and follow the simple steps to purchase.Youcan then use this Buyer-only account topurchase future games.

If you need assistance with your purchase, please reach out to us using the Contact Us tab."

AskanTale

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 AskanTale

ahhh ok. sounds easy. thank you thank you

ShadowedSight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 ShadowedSight
Member since 2008 • 1902 Posts

The best part about Gamefly is renting out a new game that you were considering buying and realizing it's terrible.

Basically, instead of buying it new and wasting 60$ you can rent it and realize you don't like it.

AskanTale

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 AskanTale

The best part about Gamefly is renting out a new game that you were considering buying and realizing it's terrible.

Basically, instead of buying it new and wasting 60$ you can rent it and realize you don't like it.

ShadowedSight
hey if we rent Blur...... and waste monthly fee subscrption.... then we decide to keep/buy it..... do w estill pay for the monthly fee cost? or only the buy cost?
KHAndAnime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 KHAndAnime
Member since 2009 • 17565 Posts
If your local Blockbuster is dead (like mine), go for it.
AskanTale

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 AskanTale
If your local Blockbuster is dead (like mine), go for it. KHAndAnime
yeah man whats up with local rent store is dead these days? my local blockbusters and hollywood video and every renting store seems dead too. why? it been dead like since 2007 up. why? people no longer rent? and the rent stores all quiet and less people and most shelves are empty and all blank.
AskanTale

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 AskanTale
If you don't like it you can always cancel after a few weeks/months. I use them to buy a lot of used games from, great prices and newer titles I just bought Bio Shock 2 for 17.99 can't beat that._Bear
hey we pay 22.95 per month for 2 games right? then what about the price it says for rent 8.95 on each game it shows on the site? we pay both monthly and individual price for each game?
KHAndAnime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 KHAndAnime
Member since 2009 • 17565 Posts
[QUOTE="KHAndAnime"]If your local Blockbuster is dead (like mine), go for it. AskanTale
yeah man whats up with local rent store is dead these days? my local blockbusters and hollywood video and every renting store seems dead too. why? it been dead like since 2007 up. why? people no longer rent? and the rent stores all quiet and less people and most shelves are empty and all blank.

I think it has to do with a combination of poor management and Netflix/Gamefly. Obviously Netflix and Gamefly took a bunch of their customers, but at the same time - they aren't properly managing what they have. I went there to rent Red Dead Redemption and they had only 3 copies for rent. For Splinter Cell : Conviction - they had 9. I asked them why and they said that they only put out an amount of copies to rent equal to the amount of pre-orders. So apparently they had 9 Splinter Cell pre-orders and 3 RDR pre-orders. First of all - who the hell preorders from a rental service? Second of all - how hard is it to keep an eye out for popular titles?
Steak_And_Eggs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#15 Steak_And_Eggs
Member since 2010 • 1001 Posts
It's ok. To get to my house,it took about 4 days. (This was a long time ago. They might have improved.) We would only be able to play 2 games before the month was over. For me,it wasn't anything much. Overall, worth it.
SuperHunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 SuperHunter
Member since 2004 • 686 Posts

Absolutely worth it. I've been a Gamefly customer for over a year now and I have no regrets. Games usually take 2 days to get to me and vice versa when I send them back. It's really nice being able to play games that I'm kinda iffy about without having to worry about wasting $60.

When RDR released on Tuesday I got my copy on Thursday and I can buy it for $49.99. Also every few months you also earn a little cash that you can put towards a purchase so it's another discount just for being a member.

The customer support is also very good, last month I got a game that wouldn't work on my 360, went on their site and they asked if I would rather have a different game shipped or the same game, one click and it was shipped no questions asked.

Alter_Echo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#17 Alter_Echo
Member since 2003 • 10724 Posts

I find Gamefly to be worth it after being a member for about a month. I will say however that their turn around time renders the 1 out plan pretty worthless. On the one out plan you can expect no better than 4 day turn around times and at 3 games a month you will spend nearly half of the entire month with nothing to play.

So basically you are paying $15.99 for 2 weeks of membership. On the 2 out plan being able to play one while you ship and recieve the other gives you the entire month for only $7 more a month. So basically 50% more cost for 100% more game time.

The 1 out plan just seems like a ripoff when you consider how much of the month you'll be sitting around waiting for the next game.