This topic is locked from further discussion.

dwispa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By dwispa
Member since 2014 • 199 Posts

Just discovered G2A. Is this a legit site that sells games? From my understanding, they sell the keys. I saw a pre-order for MadMax for only $25 and was skeptical and wondering what the catch was.

Dhelweard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#2 Dhelweard
Member since 2014 • 29 Posts

Yes, they are legitimate.

However, know that you can buy from their actual site or other users of the site reselling certain items. If you're buying from the site itself, then it's perfectly okay, but I would suggest doing research on the seller whenever you're buying from them instead.

illmatic87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 564

#3 illmatic87
Member since 2008 • 17935 Posts

Sort of?

I had no problems so far using them. Make sure you buy the right code for your region, listed under Global and not the RU/CIS region code..

illage2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By illage2
Member since 2011 • 713 Posts

G2A sits in between legit and not legit. However a lot of keys on there are stolen or scammed from developers. Its a very grey area, and can be riskey. Also worth mentioning is that the developers get nothing from purchases from G2A.

Smallisbig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 146

#5 Smallisbig
Member since 2015 • 205 Posts

I bought The Elder Scrolls Online 6 months ago on g2a.com. Played it for around 1 month without any problem then left to play other games. I then decided to try it again 1 week ago but couldn't login and received an email saying this : [...] your The Elder Scrolls® Online: Tamriel Unlimited™ account has been deactivated as it has been identified as a compromised key that was originally obtained fraudulently and then re-sold to you.[...] . So, yeah, be careful and buy from the site itself and not from users i guess!

GeryGo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#6 GeryGo  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 12809 Posts

@illmatic87 said:

Sort of?

I had no problems so far using them. Make sure you buy the right code for your region, listed under Global and not the RU/CIS region code..

This.

It has a mixed opinions, I've ordered Diablo 3 and had no problems.

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#7  Edited By Jacanuk
Member since 2011 • 20281 Posts

@dwispa said:

Just discovered G2A. Is this a legit site that sells games? From my understanding, they sell the keys. I saw a pre-order for MadMax for only $25 and was skeptical and wondering what the catch was.

G2A as a platform is pretty legit, the problem is that most of its content is from 3rd parties and some of those are very non-legit

So G2A is a grey area.

dwispa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By dwispa

So it seems their pre-order special for MadMax is legit since it's coming from G2A. But how can the devs make any sort of money when it only cost $30 for a new release especially for a title like MadMax? Makes me wonder if the game is going to be that bad then?

PrOxRaZe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 PrOxRaZe
Member since 2015 • 12 Posts

Yes it is legit

My experience.

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Jacanuk

@dwispa said:

So it seems their pre-order special for MadMax is legit since it's coming from G2A. But how can the devs make any sort of money when it only cost $30 for a new release especially for a title like MadMax? Makes me wonder if the game is going to be that bad then?

G2A is a 3rd party platform so the developers are not selling directly on there.

So you have to ask yourself how do 3rd parties get a hold of those keys and are able to sell them that cheap.

dwispa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 dwispa

Yeah, I hear what you're saying. It's just all the people chiming in here saying that if you buy from the site itself and not the resellers, then it's legit. And this leads me to believe that there is some sort of partnership b/w the devs and the site. But in this case, the site itself is cheating the devs too.

@Jacanuk said:
@dwispa said:

G2A is a 3rd party platform so the developers are not selling directly on there.

So you have to ask yourself how do 3rd parties get a hold of those keys and are able to sell them that cheap.

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Jacanuk

@dwispa said:

Yeah, I hear what you're saying. It's just all the people chiming in here saying that if you buy from the site itself and not the resellers, then it's legit. And this leads me to believe that there is some sort of partnership b/w the devs and the site. But in this case, the site itself is cheating the devs too.

@Jacanuk said:
@dwispa said:

Hmm, i haven't seen that many keys direct from G2A.

But i have always been a bit suspicious of G2A , particular when its coming from russian and easterneuropean, asian places.

with_teeth26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 1

#13 with_teeth26
Member since 2007 • 11511 Posts

@dwispa said:

well, GMG was offering a 50% off deal for Mad Max and they are about as legit as you can get. Not sure why preorder deals are so cheap for, could point to a weak product. I jumped on the GMG deal so I guess I'll find out soon enough.

I've used G2A a few times and never had problems. Usually the 3rd-party seller has a rating and usually you can see the ones that have sold a ton of keys are are highly rated, those are probably safe bets.

I'm also not convinced devs get no money from games you buy on GMG. I think in many cases, people buy keys in countries where they are cheaper and then resell them for a bit of profit. This is similar to using Hola to buy games on Origin from countries where they are sold more cheaply.

Of course there is no way of knowing if this is the case or if the keys were obtained through other means. Its somewhere in between piracy and buying a game normally.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c79c3cfce222
deactivated-5c79c3cfce222

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#14  Edited By deactivated-5c79c3cfce222
Member since 2009 • 4715 Posts

G2A is not an authorized reseller. G2A and other sites like it are basically resellers of second hand keys, and/or a facilitator for random people to put their keys on sale. Where the keys originate from is anyone's guess, but they are not acquired directly from the publisher/developer.

Polygon article following fraudulently purchased keys sold on Kinguin and G2A.

I would not trust or purchase from any of these sites. There's a proven risk of keys being effectively stolen, or otherwise questionably obtained. Might very well be a minority of the keys, but I am not comfortable with that risk, nor with exploiting Brazil, Russia etc. prices. Those prices are for people and regions where the situation requires it. For me, that's a rich dick move. And I like games, I would like to help sustain them. Publishers and developers should be paid a fair price. People always complain about DLC, microtransactions etc, and to then turn around and buy your games from sites like G2A? Nope. You don't have the right to complain about the environment you're actively encouraging.

It's also sad when streamers and tubers partner up with G2A. They use these games to make money, and then direct viewers to purchase games from a site which gets the creators of the games as little as possible, because that partnership makes them and the site more money. Shitty thing to do.

GMG has a shoddy returns policy, but their support has ultimately always come through for me so far. And despite the currency exchange having made deals considerably less so for people outside the US and UK, GMG still has good ones. There's other decent alternatives I'm sure, but that's the one I'd recommend. Just be aware that their returns policy's not good.

Byshop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#17 Byshop  Moderator
Member since 2002 • 20504 Posts

Locked for Necro bump. Also worth noting that regardless of opinions on G2A as a seller, G2A referral links are a bannable offense on this forum.

-Byshop