Is Final Fantasy 12 worth playing?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

kuro-shinigami

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 kuro-shinigami
Member since 2011 • 74 Posts
I've just finished Final Fantasy 13 and have a few options now to either play Star Ocean The Last Hope International or Final Fantasy 12 on my ps2.... Which one is the better choice to play first?
kuro-shinigami

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 kuro-shinigami
Bump...
Minajj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Minajj
Member since 2010 • 294 Posts

Yes it is, imo one of the best FF games you wont be disapointed

kuro-shinigami

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 kuro-shinigami
I've yet to touch the game so how's the gameplay? Is it anything like the classic final fantasy battle system or similar to 13?
Emurozii

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Emurozii
Member since 2010 • 269 Posts

Me and my friends hate the game and easily think it's the worst FF (discluding 11 and 14 since they're online only). But you should still give it a shot, who knows you might love it as everyone has different tastes in gaming...and it's cheap now anyway.

You should know that the story and characters in 12 though are terrible, and even then unlike other FF games the story doesn't play too big of a role in the game. Maybe if the story wasn't all about politics and if the characters weren't terrible then the game would've been better though.

But to answer your question about the battle system, if you've played 11 it's just like that - it's not turnbased unlike the other FF's. There are no random encounters or anything, which can be either good or bad depends on your preference. And the other members in your party are controlled by the AI.

Beard_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Beard_
Member since 2010 • 1066 Posts

If you're expecting a game with a similar feel to previous FF games then XII may disappoint you, but it's an excellent game otherwise. The story and characters are about average quality for an FF game. I find the gameplay to be some of the best in the series, with the good new design decisions significantly outweighing the bad. A few highlights:

Pros:

• The gambit system allows you to precisely customize ally AI, which reduces menu time in combat and improves the flow of battle.
  • Random encounters don't exist.
  • The game is huge, taking 80+ hours to complete if you're doing side quests.
  • The game has plenty of gimmick bosses that will require you to think and adjust your tactics.

Cons:

• The license board system allows all of your characters to become near carbon copies of each other. Unless you set out to do otherwise, you'll finish the game with all characters knowing how to use every magic skill, weapon and armour in the game.
  • Loot in chests is randomly generated.
  • Money is scarce through most of the game.
  • The battle system is unbalanced by end game, as casting animations for powerful magic are really long and physical attacks do almost equal damage.

Considering that your other option is SO4, FFXII is the better option. SO4 is an average-at-best game. I found it really disapointing after loving SO3.

Shenmue_Jehuty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#7 Shenmue_Jehuty
Member since 2007 • 5211 Posts

While this is my most loathed FF game that I've played to date, I know many people who love it and thoroughly enjoyed many of the things that I completed hated. For me personally, it was the first "bad" FF game I've ever played, and I am hoping XIII which I own, but still haven't played will give me faith in this series again.

Cataclism

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#8 Cataclism
Member since 2007 • 1537 Posts

Opinions on Final Fantasy XII are polarizing, mainly because of large differences between it and previous FFs, mainly the battles taking place on a map, the story being less melodramatic etc...

I personally liked it very much, dumped some 180 hours on a single play. There are problems with it, my less liked aspect of it was the licence board, making all the characters feel less unique (they don't have "classes"). In the end the pluses outweighted the cons, as shown by the game clock.

Yes, it's very much worth playing.

(There is an "International" edition of the game which has some differences. The most glaring, is the zodiac job system which means characters actually do have classes. The game has 12 licence boards (the original only has one) and each one represents a specific class. You get to pick which ones you want for your characters. However, it was only released in Japan (English voice-over but Japanese text), and while there are ways to "patch" it to have english text, you need a moded PS2 to play the patched game, or an emulator (and a very powerful pc).

AcidSoldner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 AcidSoldner
Member since 2007 • 7051 Posts
Hell yeah. My favorite FF by far.
bultje112

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 bultje112
Member since 2005 • 1868 Posts

Opinions on Final Fantasy XII are polarizing, mainly because of large differences between it and previous FFs, mainly the battles taking place on a map, the story being less melodramatic etc...

I personally liked it very much, dumped some 180 hours on a single play. There are problems with it, my less liked aspect of it was the licence board, making all the characters feel less unique (they don't have "classes"). In the end the pluses outweighted the cons, as shown by the game clock.

Yes, it's very much worth playing.

(There is an "International" edition of the game which has some differences. The most glaring, is the zodiac job system which means characters actually do have classes. The game has 12 licence boards (the original only has one) and each one represents a specific class. You get to pick which ones you want for your characters. However, it was only released in Japan (English voice-over but Japanese text), and while there are ways to "patch" it to have english text, you need a moded PS2 to play the patched game, or an emulator (and a very powerful pc).

Cataclism

final fantasy characters were never to write home about anyway. ff12 you will either love or hate just like 13. I liked them a lot more than 8 and 9 for instance that imo are incredibly overrated, even for ff standards

Allicrombie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

#11 Allicrombie
Member since 2005 • 26223 Posts
I never played 12. Couldnt stand 13.
Koi-Neon-X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 55

#12 Koi-Neon-X
Member since 2009 • 2148 Posts

Final Fantasy XII is definitely worth playing.

kuro-shinigami

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 kuro-shinigami
Alright I'll drop SO4 but now there's another game which caught my eye It was a game called Drakengard which looked interesting and my friend said that he Has Shadow hearts: From the New World if I was interested, do they compare to FFXII? And whats the gambit system? Sorry, I havent played 12 yet so I don't know What that is.
rawsavon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 rawsavon
Member since 2004 • 40001 Posts
I loved it tbh. The best battle system of any FF -you can control it as much as you want after you get far enough into it (put team on auto-pilot for small fights and total control for big ones) -no 'battle screen' = faster flow => less repetitive battle system than any other RPG I liked the focus on the macro over the micro (story) There are some annoying characters, but that is true of almost every game in the series. I really like the pirate and the guy with the scar on his face
z4twenny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#15 z4twenny
Member since 2006 • 4898 Posts

I thought it was pretty bad for a couple reasons -

1 - end game setup requires a couple items / spells that are entirely optional and never really pointed out "hey you need these if you want to even stand a chance"

2 - summons become useless shortly after you acquire them

3 - most large boss battles become a "i hope i can just chain enough mist attacks together" sequence

4 - plotline was really meh

5 - WoW esque treasure pickups.... no there will not always be the axe in that container, you might have to run in and out 30 times before the axe appears.

6 - License board - so 2 characters have figured out how to wear chainmail but the rest of them are absolute morons?

7 - At certain points gambit sequences can be hard to judge - "why aren't you curing him? oh his life is at 54% not 50.... oh wow now its 5% from that mega attackand he's poisoned... here comes the cure spell and oh, too slow,he died"

I did end up beating the game but i used a game shark to do it.

yomanjdf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 41

#16 yomanjdf
Member since 2003 • 1166 Posts

only 7

rawsavon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 rawsavon
Member since 2004 • 40001 Posts

1 - end game setup requires a couple items / spells that are entirely optional and never really pointed out "hey you need these if you want to even stand a chance"

3 - most large boss battles become a "i hope i can just chain enough mist attacks together" sequence

5 - WoW esque treasure pickups.... no there will not always be the axe in that container, you might have to run in and out 30 times before the axe appears.

6 - License board - so 2 characters have figured out how to wear chainmail but the rest of them are absolute morons?

7 - At certain points gambit sequences can be hard to judge - "why aren't you curing him? oh his life is at 54% not 50.... oh wow now its 5% from that mega attackand he's poisoned... here comes the cure spell and oh, too slow,he died"

z4twenny

1. I did not have any trouble with actual bosses (but I did do the sidequests = overpowered)
2. never really used summons that much in any FF (so can't comment)
3. never encountered that issue
4. I can see how it would be for people
5. anything you 'needed' was where it should have been...other stuff was just random
6. not much different than many games' customization trees
7. I found it to be very easy to understand. you could get as detailed as you wanted.
I thought it was the perfect battle system tbh.
-you could always turn them all off and manually control things

Cataclism

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#18 Cataclism
Member since 2007 • 1537 Posts

z4twenny

You actually had to use a gameshark to beat it? Seriosuly? The game was that hard for you?!?

benleslie5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 557

#19 benleslie5  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 9175 Posts

I thought Final Fantasy XII was a good game but didn't like the gameplay as much, but the story was pretty good

Seabas989

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#20 Seabas989
Member since 2009 • 13565 Posts

I actually enjoyed XII even though it was different from previous FF games. I mainly loved the gameplay, sidequests and the setting. It odes have its flaws though and it mostly involves the characters.

PolygonBust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 PolygonBust
Member since 2011 • 239 Posts

Haven't yet played SO: International, but to answer your topic, yes FF XII is very worth it.

I personally liked it over the disappointment that was FF XIII. The main story is good, the battle system is really customizable, and you'll be putting hours into the main story and the plethora of side quests, optional bosses, and attainable equipment to be found. I still haven't completed everything there is to do and I got the game way back when it came out in '05.

Avatar image for WSGRandomPerson
WSGRandomPerson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#22 WSGRandomPerson
Member since 2007 • 13697 Posts
I didn't get to finish it; but from what I played, it was good. Loved the battle system!
andri_g

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 andri_g
Member since 2011 • 25 Posts
The updated battle system in FFXII is great. I only wish that they had gotten rid of the limited-time availability for certain (event dependent) items.
kuro-shinigami

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 kuro-shinigami
Bump!!!!!!