Is being an MMO Gamer more geeky than being an FPS Gamer?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

thebrown07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 0

#1 thebrown07
Member since 2005 • 1487 Posts
This question has been spawned from my last topic. I personally think FPS gamers can be just as geeky as MMO players. Thoughts?
Avatar image for TheLegendKnight
TheLegendKnight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#2 TheLegendKnight
Member since 2007 • 1853 Posts
fps gamers are more geeky from what i see. i played many mmorpgs and fps games but most of mmorpg games have people who play it for chatting going there and there in virtual world. fps gamers enter the arena to kill and try to learn everything...
Vampyronight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#3 Vampyronight
Member since 2002 • 3933 Posts

I can only imagine how heated this conversation could get, but I'll bite.

I'd say yes, easily. I'm not saying playing an FPS makes you cool or anything, but hear me out. You play a FPS to...shoot things. Obviously, this is an experience that most of us (in the context of those kinds of games..so I don't mean hunting) will never experience and probably never want to experience. While it might be fun to fend off an alien invasion in a game, I hope I don't really have to do that one tomorrow outside of the game.

MMO's tend to lack real substantive gameplay- people cite the social aspect of the game as the compelling reason to play. So, at least to me, you're giving up social time (all gaming takes this up) to....socialize in a fake world. I think it just raises the question of, "If the main focus of an MMO is the socialization, why not go outside with real people and do it for free?" I'd never ask, "Well, if you really like shooting things in wars, why not go join the military and advocate for your government to invade your neighbor?" There are plenty of good rebuttals to that...but significantly less for the socialization aspect.

Dion2k7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#4 Dion2k7
Member since 2007 • 1353 Posts

i think there both equal because you can get obbsessive fans of each of the genre you know the type who wakes up plays for hours on end.

FPS will give players that adrenaline rush or get them pumped up with situations they may never find themselves in and enjoy that rush they get from it so they will want to play as much as possible.

With MMO you get the same thing an escape from everyday life doing what you like with no actually worries or stress of real life but you get drawn in and this character you created could become your life with such cases posted here about these kids dying of malnutrition just because the parents played WOW non-stop.

Both can appeal to the casual audience or the gamers who are obbsessive and can control themselves in which i mean play the game for fun and some competition online but never taking it to the extreme eg. COD4, Halo, Geow etc. Or just wanting to chat and soclialise meeting new people around the world or doing some quests on games such as WOW or Guild. wars etc.

Solid_Snake_7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Solid_Snake_7
Member since 2004 • 3398 Posts
It ultimate depends on the type of player, but judging by comparing the two genres i'd say MMO players can be considered more geeky because you tend to invest a lot more time in them, which means you tend to play videogames more which makes you relegate some other stuff in your life, hence the geeky part :P
Termite3030

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Termite3030
Member since 2008 • 56 Posts
My thoughts exactly, Solid_Snake_7. Most people determine a persons "geek level" by two criteria: amount of time spent with something, and the amount of knowlege regarding something.
Joshy485

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#7 Joshy485
Member since 2007 • 316 Posts
YES
Brother_Tevis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#8 Brother_Tevis
Member since 2008 • 195 Posts
The way I see it, it's not the game, but the gamer. There could a guy who plays totally casually on FPS', or maybe just plays an MMO every so often, casually. And in the same respect, some person could be crazy into FPS and be an ultra geek, and maybe someone else plays MMO's but they just aren't as geektastic. Just personality.
Avatar image for ViscaBarcaInter
ViscaBarcaInter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 ViscaBarcaInter
Member since 2007 • 382 Posts
Generalisation, but yes, MMO fans probably will be more "geeky" on average. If anything, FPS fans are criticised for being too aggressive and losing their cool and screaming after headshots (thank you FPS Doug! :D) and so on, kind of the opposite of geeky. MMOs are generally RPGs, and there's no game genre more geeky than RPGs, is there? ;) Seriously, go to the WoW forums, and listen to people talking about Kara raids with epic gear, full tank specs, massive DPS, etc. It's like a freaking foreign language listening to obsessive RPG fans!!!!! :D