Is AC I worth buying after having played AC II?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

AdamTheGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By AdamTheGamer
Member since 2015 • 14 Posts

I recently bought some of the AC games. I was used to there not being a specific storyline so without really thinking I skipped Ac I because I didnt think it looked that good on the steampage. Now after having finished AC II I am really sad about not playing Ac I first.... There were a lot of references in Ac II to Altair and now I am scared of stuff getting confusing if I play Ac I. I have also heard that Ac I isn't that good in graphics and stuff but the main reason for me to buy the game would be the story. I have already tried to ask some friends, comment on the steampage and search it up on the internet but I can't really find an answer... So now I am hoping that SOMEONE could help me answer if the game is worth buying and playing all in all :/ Thanks.

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#2 Jacanuk
Member since 2011 • 20281 Posts

The only AC game worth buying after the ending of Ezio is Black Flag.

3 and unity is horrible shit games and should never have been made.

Catalli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#3 Catalli  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 3453 Posts

Honestly... no. I don't think so. The gameplay is the most repetitive of the series, the plot isn't as interesting as others and characters are far less likeable. One of the biggest things ACII brought to the series was a protagonist with a personality.

It probably won't be a horrible purchase either. If you really want to play more AC then sure I guess, but if it's just to fill in the blank then I'd say nah.

AdamTheGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 AdamTheGamer

@ianhh6: Is there any other way to "fill in the blank" than buying the game? Should I watch a walkthrough of the game or would it be too boring not getting to play the game myself? And also, do you know if they continue with the Ac 1 references in Ac brotherhood and Ac revelations?

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 R4gn4r0k
Member since 2004 • 46452 Posts

Well, the first AC has a very interesting setting.

However, the gameplay is incredibly repetitive. Seriously the ending is just sword fight after sword fight after sword fight until you are sick of it.

If the setting interests you, sure, give it a try. Get it really cheap. If not, stay clear.

Catalli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#6 Catalli  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 3453 Posts

@adamthegamer said:

@ianhh6: Is there any other way to "fill in the blank" than buying the game? Should I watch a walkthrough of the game or would it be too boring not getting to play the game myself? And also, do you know if they continue with the Ac 1 references in Ac brotherhood and Ac revelations?

Well, sorta, coz it's still Desmond's story and Lucy is relevant. As for not missing out on anything, there's tons of ways; you could watch a Let's Play, read a walkthrough or a plot synopsis... Hell I'm sure there's an Assassin's Creed Wikia that could sum up the entire game for you.

Dynamoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Dynamoo
Member since 2015 • 9 Posts

Every game made playing if you really want to play it, from my point this game was same mission over and over, no character development, no real story, frankly I only enjoyed last few missions of game which offered very little variety. So play this only if you want to know the story from beginning, else read it from wiki or buy book version of this game

Xanatos357

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#8 Xanatos357
Member since 2015 • 787 Posts

@adamthegamer: not really, the first one in my opinion isn't that great, and you don't really miss out on any story if you skip it. Just enjoy the Ezio trilogy while it lasts.

phoenix5352

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#9 phoenix5352
Member since 2011 • 387 Posts

you should buy ac1 , if you like the story, then its important to know the first one's too

ps3hdalltime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#10 ps3hdalltime
Member since 2012 • 427 Posts

Its good to buy but since you are saying you have played the second part i doubt you'll enjoy part 1 because it isnt as diverse as part 2, the objectives are repetitive but still in my opinion you can give it a try, none the less it is a good enjoyable game. thats all i have to say about that

Crypt_mx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#11 Crypt_mx
Member since 2007 • 4739 Posts

No. AC2 is everything AC1 was supposed to be, there is absolutely no reason to play 1 if you've played any of the later AC games. What you get is the most boring protagonist, with 3 different mission types (that you do over and over again), in a buggy, barren (content wise) game that was essentially only good because you could climb stuff. The story you are missing is really not that important, just look up a summarization or the cinematics only. If you enjoyed 2, play Brotherhood and Revelations. After that, Black Flag is the only one worth playing in my books. Unity is only good if you get it for like dirt cheap and have a PC to game on. The console framerate is unplayable to me.

DrSpoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By DrSpoon
Member since 2015 • 628 Posts

Agree with the statement of skipping 3 (other than to see how it turns out for Desmond) - I quite liked the story of 1 so if its cheap and you aint got anything else to play its worth a go...

RSM-HQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 94

User Lists: 1

#13 RSM-HQ
Member since 2009 • 11676 Posts

No, everything the developer wanted to achieve was pushed for the sequel instead. Assassins Creed 1 isn't worth your time.

Buckhannah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Buckhannah
Member since 2013 • 715 Posts

No, it's aged terribly. Just read a story summary and you won't miss out on much.

Bardock47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Bardock47
Member since 2008 • 5429 Posts

Altair has more character in the AC II diary pages (or whatever they are) then he actually does in AC I. I enjoyed it warts in all, but I would wait for it to be on sale. You'll be fine without it in the grand scheme of things. Its nice, but not required.

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 122

User Lists: 2

#16 The_Last_Ride
Member since 2004 • 76371 Posts

@adamthegamer: No, you can look at the story. But the game mechanics are very clunky

Shmiity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#17 Shmiity
Member since 2006 • 6625 Posts

The gameplay in AC1 is a major step down from 2. But In my humble opinion, I found the narrative very, very engaging. Every AC after 2 just gets all sci-fi-fucked and stupid.

AdamTheGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 AdamTheGamer

@Shmiity: @The_Last_Ride: @Bardock47: @Buckhannah: @RSM-HQ: @drspoon: @Crypt_mx: @ps3hdalltime: @phoenix5352: @xanatos357: @dynamoo: @R4gn4r0k: @ianhh6: @Jacanuk: Thanks for all of your answers! I have read all of them and I have all in all decided not to buy the game. Thanks for sparing me the money and thanks for giving me more Ac related info! :)

I will although still watch/read a summary of Assassin's Creed 1 as some of you suggested. Now my final question is if any of you could recommend a good youtube channel that sums it up/some place where someone has written a good summary of the game. Really just any good place where I can read/watch it for free ( since I don't have that much money and I am not ready to buy the book version of the game). All suggestions would really help and thanks again! ; )

Running-Target

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 71

#19 Running-Target
Member since 2014 • 413 Posts

Yes.

The_Funyarinpa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#20 The_Funyarinpa
Member since 2015 • 504 Posts

no one and two are the only good ones

AKirkland

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 AKirkland
Member since 2015 • 46 Posts

You kind of goofed by playing 2 before 1, as 2 improved on every aspect of the first game, in a way that would make it difficult to go back and enjoy 1 especially in 2015.

I really like the first Assassin's Creed title, the setting, architecture, city layout and missions are all great. I am probably in the minority of people that really liked 1 but yeah, 1, 2 & 4 are the most worthwhile AC titles in my opinion. With Brotherhood, Revelations & 3 all being good but less essential experiences in terms of; thematically, narratively and game-play mechanic improvements from title-to-title.