iPhone / iPod Touch Games and deserving a platform section on Gamespot

This topic is locked from further discussion.

mad_cowboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 mad_cowboy
Member since 2006 • 28 Posts

I know the topic has been brought up before, but just wanted to stir up some conversations concerning the iPhone/iPod touch as a legitimate gaming platform.

As a DS and PSP owner, when I first got my iTouch I didn't take the gaming aspect of it very seriously, nor was I particularly in the selection of games available at the time. Over the past few months however, more and more quality titles have been showing up, and I've found myself reaching for the iTouch more frequently for some quick gaming.

I don't believe by any means the iTouch is a DS or PSP "killer" but it definitely serves its purpose for casual gaming. In addition, with the exception of a few podcasts/websites, there aren't an abundance of places to get legitimate information and reviews, which is why I think gamespot should at least open up a section on the forums for us to discuss apps and games for the iPhone/iTouch.

At some point, seeing reviews from the gamespot staff would be nice too, but it's completely understandable that this may not be very practical as there are many "lower quality" titles that can be very concisely reviewed on the appstore as it is.

darkSIDEechoes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#2 darkSIDEechoes
Member since 2007 • 3375 Posts

Name some noteworthy games for it. I bought 3 games for my iPhone. Katamari, Brothers in Arms, and Fieldrunners. I regret buying BIA, a little bit of regret for the others since I rarely even play anything. I almost bought the Metal Gear game but with free versions of Wild West whatever and Time Crisis Lite, there's no need.

redeskimo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#3 redeskimo
Member since 2008 • 124 Posts

they shouldnt. thery are really gaming devices ipod touch mayb a little but not close enought no way the iphone thats just pathetic dont you think. Lame games no real shooters or 1st persons.

darkSIDEechoes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#4 darkSIDEechoes
Member since 2007 • 3375 Posts

they shouldnt. thery are really gaming devices ipod touch mayb a little but not close enought no way the iphone thats just pathetic dont you think. Lame games no real shooters or 1st persons.

redeskimo

Most games are seriously lame and no, it's not that pathetic dude. PLUS there are some first person shooters and "real" shooters. Get your facts straight.

Oh, and the iPhone IS an iTouch PLUS a phone. Smart move.

joelgargan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#5 joelgargan
Member since 2008 • 1009 Posts

[QUOTE="redeskimo"]

darkSIDEechoes

Most games are seriously lame and no, it's not that pathetic dude. PLUS there are some first person shooters and "real" shooters. Get your facts straight.

Oh, and the iPhone IS an iTouch PLUS a phone. Smart move.

Haha you're right on this one.

I don't think it can be taken too seriously, but its a good device none the less. I bought MGS Touch and borrowed my sisters Touch for like 2 weeks. Its really fun, maybe people should try it before they criticise it.

DJ_Lae

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 73

#6 DJ_Lae
Member since 2002 • 42748 Posts
I think a board dedicated to the App Store would be a fantastic idea, less for the platform itself and more for (as you said) a place of discussion where people can read real reviews and comments about various games. The in-store reviews serve their purpose, but most are completely unhelpful, poorly written, full of spelling errors and terrible grammar. As an aggregate system of scoring they're fine, but if you want to find out anything detailed? Good luck. Same goes for the various sites online...there are too many and they spread themselves too thin, reviewing games that no one in their right mind would care about. NeoGaf has a thread dedicated to iPhone games, and it works incredibly well. But due to the structure of Gamespot a full board would make much more sense.