Infamous 2 thread of electric awesomeness - Update: Mission creator announced!

This topic is locked from further discussion.

CarnageHeart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 CarnageHeart
Member since 2002 • 18316 Posts

Just saw this week's Gametrailers. The Infamous 2 gameplay footage is incredible (and the new trailer, which shows off his ability to acquire either fire or ice powers, isn't bad either). Cole's electric powers are a lot stronger than before and the city blows up even better than the last one did.

I appreciate that in one of the gameplay trailers Cole went into a graveyard and didn't fight zombies (though the things he fought were pretty disgusting looking). I've got nothing against zombies, but variety is the spice of life.

Also, it sounds like there will be multiple factions one can presumably play off against each other.

Last but not least, thedeveloper confirmed that the choices one made in Infamous 1 will carry over into 2, which should be interesting (I don't think I ever finished my good playthrough, so I gotta do that before June).

Image 1

http://www.gametrailers.com/game/infamous-2/13391

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#2 Archangel3371  Online
Member since 2004 • 44403 Posts
Yeah I also watched that episode of GTTV and the game looks and sounds awesome indeed. I enjoyed the first game a lot and played it enough to platinum it. I have both a good and an evil playthrough saved on it so that's very cool that they'll give us the option of carrying over our choices from the first game into this one.
c_rakestraw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 64

#3 c_rakestraw  Moderator
Member since 2007 • 14627 Posts

If saves carry over then, I hope they'll allow you to choose which save to bring over because I still have two completed saves on hand. I'd hate for it to automatically default to the last loaded save (mostly because that was my play-through on the evil side, and I like to start off on the good side for these kinds of games).

Also, fire and ice powers? Man, they're really expanding Cole's ability repertoire. It'll be interesting to see what they bring to the table gameplay-wise.

Bigboi500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#4 Bigboi500
Member since 2007 • 35550 Posts

I've only played as a good guy, but I hear from people that it's better-suited to be evil, so I need to play again before Infamous 2 gets here.

CarnageHeart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 CarnageHeart

I've only played as a good guy, but I hear from people that it's better-suited to be evil, so I need to play again before Infamous 2 gets here.

Bigboi500

I actually liked being a good guy a little better than being an evil guy (having civilians try to support you by throwing rocks as you battle with the bad guys and taking photos of you and complimenting you when you were not in battle was much more enjoyable than hearing people despair about their lives and wishing they had the ability to kill you :P ).

c_rakestraw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 c_rakestraw  Moderator

[QUOTE="Bigboi500"]

CarnageHeart

I actually liked being a good guy a little better than being an evil guy (having civilians try to support you by throwing rocks as you battle with the bad guys and taking photos of you and complimenting you when you were not in battle was much more enjoyable than hearing people despair about their lives and wishing they had the ability to kill you :P ).

I agree. Wanton destruction is fun and all, but being good just has more perks. Plus the powers you get for being good just felt better than those from the evil side. Much more accurate.

octoman115

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 octoman115
Member since 2010 • 765 Posts

I loved inFamous and played through twice and got my first Platinum trophy from it. I'm definitely looking forward to inFamous 2. Looks awesome.

AzelKosMos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 89

#8 AzelKosMos
Member since 2005 • 34194 Posts

[QUOTE="CarnageHeart"]

[QUOTE="Bigboi500"]

c_rake

I agree. Wanton destruction is fun and all, but being good just has more perks. Plus the powers you get for being good just felt better than those from the evil side. Much more accurate.

Thirded! Being good was more enjoyable to me. I am kind of glad your playthrough can carry over, I did both a good and evil run in the original so will be nice to see the results of those. The visuals look much improved as well.

rragnaar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 rragnaar
Member since 2005 • 27023 Posts

This is awesome!

User created levels in inFamous 2!

And just like that,inFamous 2joins Sony's "Play, Create, Share" suite of games by allowing players to make their own missions. Developer Sucker Punch unveiled the surprising new feature at GDC. We're currently working on getting more details, but we do know this: a "limited" public beta will be available in April. Details on how to get in will be announced on the game'sofficial websitein two weeks, on March 14th.

Joystiq

c_rakestraw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 c_rakestraw  Moderator

This is awesome!

User created levels in inFamous 2!

[QUOTE="Joystiq"]

And just like that,inFamous 2joins Sony's "Play, Create, Share" suite of games by allowing players to make their own missions. Developer Sucker Punch unveiled the surprising new feature at GDC. We're currently working on getting more details, but we do know this: a "limited" public beta will be available in April. Details on how to get in will be announced on the game'sofficial websitein two weeks, on March 14th.

rragnaar

Wow, really? Now that's interesting. Wonder how it'll work.

S0lidSnake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#11 S0lidSnake
Member since 2002 • 29001 Posts

That does sound cool. I wonder if that also means multiplayer is in.

S0lidSnake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 S0lidSnake

Trailer up on youtube.

Info:

We thought inFAMOUS 2 would be better if it didn't end—if you never ran out of missions and mini-missions to play and things to do. So… we spent the last two years adding a User-Generated Content feature to the game. With User-Generated Content, inFAMOUS 2 players can build new missions, then share them with the world. I think you'll all quickly discover that while building missions is a lot of fun, seeing people play and enjoy those missions is even better!

There really aren't a lot of limits to the sorts of missions you can build. Sure, you can build the sort of missions that will ship on the inFAMOUS 2 disk. Mission creators have access to the same set of characters, creatures and props—so if you want to set a pack of Hive Lords rumbling after Cole through the streets of New Marais, you can do it. If you want to have Cole and Zeke face off against Nix and Kuo, you can do it.

If you want to bend the rules of inFAMOUS 2 to create new kinds of missions, you can do that too. Wish I2 had pure stealth missions? No problem, you can create stealth missions. Looking for more of a challenge? Try taking away some of Cole's powers—see how the player does facing a platoon of Militia wielding only his Amp. Or add an old-school platforming challenge, or a race, or… I could go on all day.

It's pretty easy to do missions that are more like mini-games, too. Skeet shooting? No problem. Disc golf? Assuming you're happy tossing around cars instead of Frisbees, sure. How about a mission where Zeke just tells you bad jokes until you shoot him? Um, yeah, you can do that, too. Sucker Punch

Can we have a mod please update the thread title.

c_rakestraw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 c_rakestraw  Moderator

S0lidSnake

Done!

CarnageHeart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 CarnageHeart

Trailer up on youtube.

Info:

[QUOTE="Sucker Punch"]

We thought inFAMOUS 2 would be better if it didn't end—if you never ran out of missions and mini-missions to play and things to do. So… we spent the last two years adding a User-Generated Content feature to the game. With User-Generated Content, inFAMOUS 2 players can build new missions, then share them with the world. I think you'll all quickly discover that while building missions is a lot of fun, seeing people play and enjoy those missions is even better!

There really aren't a lot of limits to the sorts of missions you can build. Sure, you can build the sort of missions that will ship on the inFAMOUS 2 disk. Mission creators have access to the same set of characters, creatures and props—so if you want to set a pack of Hive Lords rumbling after Cole through the streets of New Marais, you can do it. If you want to have Cole and Zeke face off against Nix and Kuo, you can do it.

If you want to bend the rules of inFAMOUS 2 to create new kinds of missions, you can do that too. Wish I2 had pure stealth missions? No problem, you can create stealth missions. Looking for more of a challenge? Try taking away some of Cole's powers—see how the player does facing a platoon of Militia wielding only his Amp. Or add an old-school platforming challenge, or a race, or… I could go on all day.

It's pretty easy to do missions that are more like mini-games, too. Skeet shooting? No problem. Disc golf? Assuming you're happy tossing around cars instead of Frisbees, sure. How about a mission where Zeke just tells you bad jokes until you shoot him? Um, yeah, you can do that, too. S0lidSnake

Speaking as a big fan of LBP and Infamous, this is insanely cool. This isn't quite the 3D game creator I've been hoping Sony (or someone) will release, but its pretty damn close.

Avatar image for Grammaton-Cleric
Grammaton-Cleric

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Grammaton-Cleric
Member since 2002 • 7515 Posts

To get this type of creation toolset in a game like Infamous 2 is HUGE.

This is precisely the type of precedent I want developers to set because ultimately, I want to see these types of options in as many games as possible.

I loved the original and I was already excited about the sequel but this news raises my anticipation to an entirely new level.

rragnaar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 rragnaar

Here is a trailer for the user generated content stuff. The explosions look so good in this.

c_rakestraw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 c_rakestraw  Moderator

Here is a trailer for the user generated content stuff. The explosions look so good in this.

rragnaar

Solid already beat you to it, Rag. Check a few posts up.

I agree on the explosions, though -- so good. Real nice looking game, that is.

rragnaar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 rragnaar

[QUOTE="rragnaar"]

c_rake

Solid already beat you to it, Rag. Check a few posts up.

I agree on the explosions, though -- so good. Real nice looking game, that is.

Derp. I have a habit of ignoring everything that guy says.:P
S0lidSnake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 S0lidSnake

Derp. I have a habit of ignoring everything that guy says.:P rragnaar

:(

Speaking as a big fan of LBP and Infamous, this is insanely cool. This isn't quite the 3D game creator I've been hoping Sony (or someone) will release, but its pretty damn close.CarnageHeart

Depending on how user friendly the creation tools are, this might even be more popular than the create mode in LBP. In LBP, you almost have to start everything from the ground up. Here it seems like you already have map layouts, and you are just adding enemies, placing spawn points and maybe adding a few platforms, vehicles and ledges here and there.

S0lidSnake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 S0lidSnake

I want to thank LittleBigPlanet cause this is all because of it. Hopefully this is the new trend.dvader654

Motorstorm 3 also allows users to create different 'variations' of tracks and share them online.

Jbul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#22 Jbul
Member since 2007 • 4838 Posts

I know I'm not gonna win a popularity contest saying this -- but I'm not excited about Infamous 2's creation tools. . Feels forced and out of place in a game like this. I'd rather they add 2 hours to the campaign OR further polish than make this silly s***.

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Archangel3371  Online
Member since 2004 • 44403 Posts
Woah. Now that does indeed sound very awesome having the ability to create missions. I was already pumped for Infamous 2 but this just ups my anticipation even more.