I'm trying to become obsessed with fighting games. Any tips?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Grimmson2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Grimmson2
Member since 2006 • 1147 Posts
Topic^
rragnaar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#2 rragnaar
Member since 2005 • 27023 Posts
I don't think you can force an obsession, in my experience, these things are almost always involuntary. That said, if you want to get into fighting games you need atleast one friend who wants to get into fighting games as much as you do. You need competition to drive an interest in fighting games. I love fighting games, but I have no one to play with, so my interest has diminished over the years.
ASK_Story

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 ASK_Story
Member since 2006 • 11455 Posts

When you start beating people who are better than you whether it's at an arcade or online, than you'll start getting obsessed. I guarantee you'll keep coming back for more.

But on the other hand, if you get your butt kicked constantly, it can also drive you away.

I think the point is, whether you win or get beaten, is to never give up.

LoG-Sacrament

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 33

#4 LoG-Sacrament
Member since 2006 • 20397 Posts
try a good deep fighting game to get into, like virtua fighter 5.
martialbullet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#5 martialbullet
Member since 2006 • 10948 Posts

Try and pull off a hadouken. That's how I got obsessed with fighting games :D

VMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#6 VMan
Member since 2003 • 4940 Posts

I seriously had to laugh at the sound of that question. I'd personally think if you had to try to become obsessed with something, then its probably never gonna truly happen. You may be able to fool yourself into feeling that way for a while, but contact me if it actually lasts.

If you're looking to dedicate yourself to a fighting game(s), then one that is solidly designed with competition in mind is what you want. And Virtua Fighter 5 is currently the best fit for that criteria that i've played.

N8A

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 N8A
Member since 2007 • 18602 Posts
just keep playing
tommat119944

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#8 tommat119944
Member since 2008 • 970 Posts
Virtua Fighter 5 looks good
DarkCatalyst

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 DarkCatalyst
Member since 2002 • 20968 Posts

Getting involved in the community helps. Here are some URLs.

http://www.shoryuken.com/
http://www.virtuafighter.com/
http://www.tekkenzaibatsu.com/

Other than that, just pick a game you want to get good at, use these online communities to find local competition, and there you go.

Pi-R-Sq

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Pi-R-Sq
Member since 2008 • 411 Posts
if you aren't addicted you can't become addicted, its a natural process
Astral_Vapor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Astral_Vapor
Member since 2007 • 276 Posts
Virtua Fighter 5 is nice and deep. Meaty!!!!!
Grimmson2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Grimmson2

try a good deep fighting game to get into, like virtua fighter 5.LoG-Sacrament

I should mabey list the fighting games i have...

Virtua fighter 5 (xbox 360), capcom vs. snk 2 eo (xbox) guilty gear xx reloaded (xbox / BC) DOA ultimate and DOA 3 (both xbox/ BC) and that's it... oh, i don't have DOA 2 ULTIMATE I only have 1 ultimate, 2 should come in the mail today, gamestop forgot to send it so i called them and they apologised. so no big deal.

Grimmson2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Grimmson2

Guilty Gear xx2 is really fun. i play as Jam. At first i thought Capcom vs. snk2 EO was really really bad. then i switched to Sakura and the C- Groove and she's awesome! so now i have her super attacks down which is cool. I tried playing virtua fighter, i was Kage. got destroyed beyond human ability. then i switch to Sarah Brenet and she's cool, but bad news is my xbox live is down.

The wireless router is connecting to my 360 adapter, but it cant find a IP address! It might have something to do with having 3 wireless comps. 2 wireless laptops. ( believe it or not I'm not a PC gamer, though i wish i had the money and the comp. too be though...) so right when i got the games listed above, live was not working... i really hope it works, though. oh, and in DOA i like being Ayane, i cant believe shes ?kagomies? half- sister. Ayane was the girl in Ninja giaden! That's crazy!

Grimmson2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Grimmson2
^ Sorry about the rant.:D
VoodooHak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#15 VoodooHak
Member since 2002 • 15989 Posts

Funny. I actually tried the same thing. Maybe not trying to be obsessed, but I did try to get into fighting games. After Street Fighter 3 Third Strike, I just lost it. The closest I got to becoming interested again is in the more realistic fighting games like the UFC titles. The mechanics were awesome for what I'm looking for, but they lacked the glitz and excitement of a traditional fighting game.

I would say... if you're still trying to get into fighting games, be honest with yourself and maybe go for sub-genres that appeal to you. Maybe the WWE games or Fight Night.

Good luck

Fireball2500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#16 Fireball2500
Member since 2004 • 3421 Posts
For 2D games, try Marvel vs. Capcom 2.
Grimmson2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Grimmson2

Accepting all challengers for Virtua fighter 5 and Guilty Gear x2 reload. ( send me a message saying the name of the game and "Fight" and I'll play you ASAP.

Gamer Tag: Ipforfree123456

King9999

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 44

#18 King9999
Member since 2002 • 11837 Posts
Above all else, know people who are interested in the same fighting games as you, though that's not really a problem if you're going to play online. You can't really get obsessed with fighting games...it will come naturally as you play them often. But it helps if there's some good competition where you are, or online. You have to play the games that everyone else is playing. There's no point in becoming a pro at Flying Dragon if no one's playing it (and besides, it's a terrible game--don't play it). The "Big 3 Fighters" (Street Fighter, Tekken, VF) are safe bets.
Grimmson2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Grimmson2

I played Guilty gear xx2 reload on-line against "Keep Out". I got destroyed... ( literally ) i knew that would happen since he was high up in the rankings, though it was fun. I kind-of have to laugh though because out of the 26 games we played, i didn't win one of them!:lol: * we were doing 3 round matchtes* yeah... i only won 2 rounds out of... 26*3= 78. I only won 2/78 of the rounds we played. it was fun, i couldn't really do anything much thou. i have 1 out of 4 bars now since the signal boosters unplugged so lag might had play a part, could have been i was really nerves and couldn't implament the combos right? maybe both? oh well I'LL DO IT AGAIN IF I GET THE CHANCE!!!

P.S feel free to send me a invite!

Kreatzion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Kreatzion
Member since 2003 • 6468 Posts

I don't think you can force yourself to get obsessed with fighting games. You are either into them or not. You just got to pick any choose which ones you want to be involved with. As of right now, I'm currently a VF5 and 3S player. I've dabbled in many fighters but these are the only ones I could commit to.

Just recently, I bought T5:DR for the PS3 and I just can't get into it. I've fallen off of Tekken since T3 and I was hoping to get back into it but I just can't seem to do it right now. To be honest, I've been so spoiled by the "perfection" that is VF5 that I really can't accept any other 3D fighter at the moment. I can honestly see myself not getting into SCIV for this reason as well.

King9999

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 44

#21 King9999
Member since 2002 • 11837 Posts

I don't think you can force yourself to get obsessed with fighting games. You are either into them or not. You just got to pick any choose which ones you want to be involved with. As of right now, I'm currently a VF5 and 3S player. I've dabbled in many fighters but these are the only ones I could commit to.

Just recently, I bought T5:DR for the PS3 and I just can't get into it. I've fallen off of Tekken since T3 and I was hoping to get back into it but I just can't seem to do it right now. To be honest, I've been so spoiled by the "perfection" that is VF5 that I really can't accept any other 3D fighter at the moment. I can honestly see myself not getting into SCIV for this reason as well.

Kreatzion
Soul Calibur totally dropped off the map for me. Like most people, I was into SC1, but my interest in the series went down with each new game, when normally it should go up...weird.
Kreatzion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Kreatzion
Member since 2003 • 6468 Posts
[QUOTE="Kreatzion"]

King9999

Soul Calibur totally dropped off the map for me. Like most people, I was into SC1, but my interest in the series went down with each new game, when normally it should go up...weird.

That's probably due to the lack of a universal rule set for the tournament community and those create a fighter modes. The SC team has been doing some stupid **** for the series and adding Star Wars characters isn't helping them either. I'm going to buy SCIV but I'm really not expecting much. If it turns out to be a balanced, capable fighter without the bs, I'll be shocked.

Grimmson2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Grimmson2

Hey! I'm back, fighting games are awesome!!! I've got BlazBlue, that game is amazing! Also when I said obsessed it was a exaggeration.

Though, I am now a fighting game fan. :D Shame my 360 got the RROD.

yagr_zero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#24 yagr_zero
Member since 2006 • 27850 Posts
There's no need to bump a year old thread.