I want to make a video game

This topic is locked from further discussion.

ZacheryWolf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 ZacheryWolf
Member since 2009 • 151 Posts
Make a game. I want to make one alot. I have all these ideas that keep coming to me, and ill think about and then wake up one day and be why did i think that game was so great. But now i have a great idea, and it's to humungous to write down. So is there any way at all to make a video game. I'd be willing to do anything besides pay money
Dragonblade01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2 Dragonblade01
Member since 2004 • 5747 Posts

Make a game. I want to make one alot. I have all these ideas that keep coming to me, and ill think about and then wake up one day and be why did i think that game was so great. But now i have a great idea, and it's to humungous to write down. So is there any way at all to make a video game. I'd be willing to do anything besides pay moneyZacheryWolf

lol, wouldn't we all.

Anyway, I'm going to assume that you don't have much know how when it comes to programming. Techinically, as long as you can program in some language (like C+,C++, Basic, Flash, and Java) and have the artistic ability and programs needed to create sprites or polygonal figures (the latter you'd need to pay for to be able to make anything particularly decent), you can create whatever you want.

Since I doubt you have a lot of that experience to undertake the project by yourself, you can start with a program called Game Maker. There is a free version that is a bit more limited in what you can do, but it gets the job done (especially for someone who is just starting). It has a more "drag and drop" programming engine, so all you have to do is provide the necessary images (jpg, gif, etc.) and follow the tutorials. It's sprite-based which is a good start.

Just be aware that, even with all the aid that the program gives you, it will still take A LOT of work.

Jaidyn1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Jaidyn1
Member since 2009 • 319 Posts

i have a game in mind but ill never be able to make it lol

blingchu55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 blingchu55
Member since 2007 • 3098 Posts

Honestly the only thing you can do is wright it down and send it to various game studios

ZacheryWolf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 ZacheryWolf
Thanks for everyones reply Someone mentioned i should start learning flash,basic, C plus etc and ij was wondering, which one is the easiset to use. Once you tell me that where can i download it Thanks for the help
Avatar image for Xenogears_Rocks
Xenogears_Rocks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#6 Xenogears_Rocks
Member since 2009 • 712 Posts

If it's a rpg you can get Rpg maker and make your games

Avatar image for Love_Hina_Lover
Love_Hina_Lover

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Love_Hina_Lover
Member since 2002 • 4381 Posts

Thanks for everyones reply Someone mentioned i should start learning flash,basic, C plus etc and ij was wondering, which one is the easiset to use. Once you tell me that where can i download it Thanks for the helpZacheryWolf

So far from what you have said you have zero idea of what your doing. Whch one is the easiest to use? Well none of them really they all have their strengths and weaknesses. What your asking to do/learn is not something you study for a week and become a master of. Now ill admitt i got my start in programming learning to program games, but ive also spent 5 years in universiy and thousands of dollars learning this as well. If making a game was as simple as i believe you think it is, everyone would be making them.

As others have suggested there are programs out there to help you make more simple single idea'd games but thats pretty much where it ends. Past that you may want to look at flash, this however will cost you money.

For looking towards more native programming languages, usualy a simple place for people to start would be java. Java tends to be a bit more hand holding for users to get off the ground with, but is by no means easy or fast(althought it has become much faster).

If you want to try your hand at java i suggest you download the ecilipse compilier, and start reading beginner/first time java tutorials. You will need to spend time building up and working from the basics. Do simple projects(like hello world or writing text to a file) befor u can even attempt something like a game. Most people dont understand the work that goes into something like this.

One of the first real games i attempted to program was an rpg, after a year i had about a 10min demo ready. In that 10 minute demo was about 100 pages of code. I was new so that didnt help, but things like graphics, animations, sound, colison detection, enemy ai/decision making, enemy colison detection/route solving, damage calculation, stat calc, effets, 3d effects, etc. It took me forever to figure out how to pan the screen to follow my charcter and redraw enviornments, textures, all while determing enemy movement, enemy activity(enemies stay idle if you are too far away) etc. AI is a huge programming task.

So yeah there ya go. Not tryin to deter you or anything, but people who program your games that you play, the majourity of them spends years and years at universities learning this stuff befor they become early good enough to actuall do it.

ZacheryWolf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 ZacheryWolf

[QUOTE="ZacheryWolf"]Thanks for everyones reply Someone mentioned i should start learning flash,basic, C plus etc and ij was wondering, which one is the easiset to use. Once you tell me that where can i download it Thanks for the helpLove_Hina_Lover

So far from what you have said you have zero idea of what your doing. Whch one is the easiest to use? Well none of them really they all have their strengths and weaknesses. What your asking to do/learn is not something you study for a week and become a master of. Now ill admitt i got my start in programming learning to program games, but ive also spent 5 years in universiy and thousands of dollars learning this as well. If making a game was as simple as i believe you think it is, everyone would be making them.

As others have suggested there are programs out there to help you make more simple single idea'd games but thats pretty much where it ends. Past that you may want to look at flash, this however will cost you money.

For looking towards more native programming languages, usualy a simple place for people to start would be java. Java tends to be a bit more hand holding for users to get off the ground with, but is by no means easy or fast(althought it has become much faster).

If you want to try your hand at java i suggest you download the ecilipse compilier, and start reading beginner/first time java tutorials. You will need to spend time building up and working from the basics. Do simple projects(like hello world or writing text to a file) befor u can even attempt something like a game. Most people dont understand the work that goes into something like this.

One of the first real games i attempted to program was an rpg, after a year i had about a 10min demo ready. In that 10 minute demo was about 100 pages of code. I was new so that didnt help, but things like graphics, animations, sound, colison detection, enemy ai/decision making, enemy colison detection/route solving, damage calculation, stat calc, effets, 3d effects, etc. It took me forever to figure out how to pan the screen to follow my charcter and redraw enviornments, textures, all while determing enemy movement, enemy activity(enemies stay idle if you are too far away) etc. AI is a huge programming task.

So yeah there ya go. Not tryin to deter you or anything, but people who program your games that you play, the majourity of them spends years and years at universities learning this stuff befor they become early good enough to actuall do it.

Thanks, im going to try java but probably won't get anywhere, but still im gonna try. Waht degree do you have to get in college to do this type of stuff?

Dragonblade01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Dragonblade01
Member since 2004 • 5747 Posts

Well, first of all, it takes a bit of luck to actually make it somewhere in the Gaming Industry. Most people start as testers to get noticed.

Anyway, there are all kinds of majors and studies that can lead to something in gaming. Gaming combines a lot of artistic and technical aspects, so a lot of different studies can lead to it. The two best, I think, are Graphic Arts and Computer Science (which lean more towards design or programming, respectively). I would suggest delving into both (even double majoring if that's possible). The more diversity you have in gaming related fields, the better shot you have.

Some colleges are also beginning to offer Game Design programs and majors. RIT is an example of this.

Love_Hina_Lover

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Love_Hina_Lover

See your abit off with what your recommending in terms of degrees. A bachelor of computer science does not necessarily focus heavily on programming, instead a BCS focuses on the much broader topic including information systems, network, history, programming, design, algorithms, etc. Also in the game industry there are many different fields, now some of the best game gods have skills in all areas but most people in this field specilize in areas. So if you feel like youd want to be in the more artistic area's like modeling, textures, etc you would look to a degree in multimedia or a similar degree, with a minor in say computer science. If you want to be in the bread and butter of game programming look to do a minor/major in software engineering which focuses more soley on simple programming

One key tip, do not waste money on community collages offering game design courses or anything similar. Esepically right now with the industry the way it is, these quick 2 year cover everything degrees hold very little merit. If you become serious about gaming development look into digipen. http://www.digipen.edu/main/Main_Page
It basically is a school partialy owned by nintendo and many of their students go to work for nintendo or other large gaming companies.

gandaf007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 gandaf007
Member since 2009 • 892 Posts

Well, taking this task upon yourself is very hard.

Personally, I'm in the process of making a very... unprofessional sci-fi game.

I'm doing story/general directing, my friend is doing the general code, and I'm working with another friend on music.

If we actually pull it off, were doing to send it off to studios to see if they can help us flash it up a bit. We'll probably fail, but it's good experience for the future. Always have to start somewhere...

Love_Hina_Lover

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Love_Hina_Lover

Well, taking this task upon yourself is very hard.

Personally, I'm in the process of making a very... unprofessional sci-fi game.

I'm doing story/general directing, my friend is doing the general code, and I'm working with another friend on music.

If we actually pull it off, were doing to send it off to studios to see if they can help us flash it up a bit. We'll probably fail, but it's good experience for the future. Always have to start somewhere...

gandaf007
Studios refuse to look at games. The reasoning behind this is to avoid any potential lawsuits or conflicts relating to "I showed company x my game and 10 months later they released game y which is just like my game x, i want money". A better idea for you and your friends would be to look into something else like simply making it a free game online, or going towards a XNA studio license and porting the game to the 360 as an arcade type game.