I need help choosing a dark souls game.

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Blah222

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Blah222
Member since 2015 • 18 Posts

Hi! So I've never played a Souls game, but recently I wanted to check one out. So I've mainly been considering bloodborne, but I don't want it to be so hard it wouldn't even be enjoyable. I don't mind a challenge and I'd definetly invest some time to learn the mechanics, but I like games to be fun. So I've been considering lords of the fallen as a slightly more approachable entrance point to souls-like games. Also dark souls three is just around the corner, and while I don't expect that to be easier, but I've heard that bloodborne is especially tough for newcomers. So what do you think? Bloodborne? Lords of the fallen? Dark Souls 3? Thanks for and opinions or advice.

P.S. I have a PS4, Xbox One and a Wii U in case you need to know what systems I have to give me an alternative recommendation.

mastermetal777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 38

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By mastermetal777
Member since 2009 • 3236 Posts

Bloodborne, believe it or not, is actually much easier to get into than Dark Souls, but playing it is very different. Bloodborne is more aggressive while Dark Souls requires a defensive play style. Ideally, I'd recommend the first game, since it established the series rules and style - well, Demon’s Souls was first, but that game is only for PS3 and is pretty brutal for newcomers. But since you only have current systems, the only options are Bloodborne and Dark Souls 2 and 3. And honestly, Bloodborne is the better between it and 2. Can't wait for 3 though.

Blah222

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Blah222

@mastermetal777: thanks for the advice! would you recommend lords of the fallen as an alternative at all?

mastermetal777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 38

User Lists: 2

#4 mastermetal777
Member since 2009 • 3236 Posts

@blah222: never played it, so I can't say.

Blah222

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Blah222

@mastermetal777: ok, thanks.

Isaacfalls

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#6 Isaacfalls
Member since 2016 • 143 Posts

@blah222: no, lords of the fallen is not a good alternative

Blah222

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Blah222

@isaacfalls: alright, thanks. Would you also recommend bloodborne as an entrance point?

Isaacfalls

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#8 Isaacfalls
Member since 2016 • 143 Posts

@blah222: definitely. Bloodborne is a great entry in the souls series (even though it's not technically a souls game, but come on it's basically dark souls 2.5).

I felt it was a bit easier than the souls games (still very hard though which is good), if the bosses get too much, you can co-op with 2 more people and take down the boss with a team of 3, it's so much fun. Bloodborne GOTY is like 30$ on PSN at the moment (includes the DLC).

Blah222

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Blah222

@isaacfalls: thanks! I think I'll go with that.

Big_Red_Button

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#10 Big_Red_Button
Member since 2005 • 6094 Posts

Play Demon's Souls, then Dark Souls, then Dark Souls II, then Bloodborne.

heguain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 284

User Lists: 37

#11 heguain
Member since 2007 • 1434 Posts

I'd say Lords of Fallen or (mostly) Bloodborne. You know, I was getting beaten by Dark Souls over and over again in 2013, hated it so much, then in 2015 I played again and now it's my #6 favourite game of all time.

TheSeptopus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By TheSeptopus
Member since 2010 • 309 Posts

@mastermetal777: I wouldn't say Dark Souls requires a defensive playstyle, it allows it but doesn't require it; however, I would call it slower than Bloodborne. You can tank your way through Dark Souls, not worrying about defense.

Fairmonkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#13 Fairmonkey
Member since 2011 • 2312 Posts

Bloodborne was probably the easiest to get into although still brutal

Next is Dark Souls 1

Then Demon Souls

Skip Dark Souls 2

tanerb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#14 tanerb
Member since 2003 • 1300 Posts

I'd say Dark Souls 2 is the easiest to play. Boss fights were much easier than Dark Souls.

LuminousAether

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By LuminousAether
Member since 2005 • 322 Posts
@tanerb said:

I'd say Dark Souls 2 is the easiest to play. Boss fights were much easier than Dark Souls.

I'd say both of them mostly have ridiculously easy boss fights, the trash mobs are the hard parts. Both have some fights that are a bit tougher than the rest. DS1 has Ornstein & Smough and Kalameet (all the other bosses are piss easy). DS2 has Ancient Dragon, Gank Squad, Sir Alonne, Fume Knight, Lud & Zallen, Blue Smelter Demon, and Sinh, the Slumbering Dragon. I'd definitely say that DS2 has harder bosses, but almost entirely in the DLC. Also Darklurker is insanely challenging if you play a melee character, but pretty easy for ranged.

gooch4011

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 gooch4011
Member since 2016 • 139 Posts

I wouldn't skip Dark Souls 2 at all. I actually enjoyed that game a lot. Was it as good as Dark Souls? Not really but it wasn't bad by any means. You can't go wrong with Dark Souls 2 or Bloodborne.