I need an RPG where I can completely get lost in the game for hours on end.

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for ristactionjakso
ristactionjakso

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

User Lists: 0

#1 ristactionjakso
Member since 2011 • 6118 Posts

It's been a very long while since I have been able to be glued to the tv with not wanting to put the game down because the story is that interesting. I need a game that has the story that good for the ps2.

Rpg's iv'e already beat are: Dragonquest 8, Rogue Galaxy, Tales of the Abyss, LOTR The Third Age, FF 1-2-4-5-6-7-10, Chrono Trigger, FF 7-2 (not a rpg, but continue of ff7) Star Ocean Till the End of Time, Persona 4, Kingdom Hearts, Wild Arms 3, Legend of Lagia 2. (There are more but cannot think of them right now)

Again, Im just really in need of a game that I could easily get lost in. Thanks for any input.

Yusuke420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#2 Yusuke420
Member since 2012 • 2770 Posts

If you can find and play Legend of the Dragoon, it's at least 50 hours of pure immersive entertainment. Persona 3: FES is very good as well. Kingdom Heart is also a fantastic franchise if you haven't played that.

MonsieurX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 MonsieurX
Member since 2008 • 39858 Posts
FFXII
Blabadonius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Blabadonius
Member since 2012 • 25 Posts
Pokemon.
ristactionjakso

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 ristactionjakso

If you can find and play Legend of the Dragoon, it's at least 50 hours of pure immersive entertainment. Persona 3: FES is very good as well. Kingdom Heart is also a fantastic franchise if you haven't played that.

Yusuke420
I beat Kingdom Hearts, I need to edit that in. But Persona 3 looks good. I liked Legend of Dragoon, my cousin used to have it way back in the day. Ill never find it though.
ristactionjakso

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 ristactionjakso
FFXIIMonsieurX
I have the demo with DQ8, I never gave the game a try because I hated how the main character looks. I might just give it a go tho.
Avatar image for turtlethetaffer
turtlethetaffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 144

#7 turtlethetaffer
Member since 2009 • 18973 Posts

Like another poster said, Pokemon offers limitless hours of entertainment.

A very recent example would be Xenoblade. I find myself just losing myself in that game... I'll look at the time, play a bit then look back and be amazed that an hour has gone by.

But, retro wise, Pokemon is probably the best bet due to the nature of the games.

istuffedsunny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#8 istuffedsunny
Member since 2008 • 6991 Posts
Off the top of my head there's Valkyrie Profile and Shadow Hearts
ristactionjakso

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 ristactionjakso

A very recent example would be Xenoblade. I find myself just losing myself in that game... I'll look at the time, play a bit then look back and be amazed that an hour has gone by.

But, retro wise, Pokemon is probably the best bet due to the nature of the games.

turtlethetaffer

Ya I found Ruby on the street for the GBA a long time ago. Good game. But I mainly want ps2 games.

Avatar image for turtlethetaffer
turtlethetaffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 144

#10 turtlethetaffer
Member since 2009 • 18973 Posts

[QUOTE="turtlethetaffer"]

ristactionjakso

Ya I found Ruby on the street for the GBA a long time ago. Good game. But I mainly want ps2 games.

Oh whoops... I'm not well versed in that department, sadly. I lack a PS2.

Yusuke420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Yusuke420
Member since 2012 • 2770 Posts

Shadow Hearts is an excellent choice. I'd also like to add Legend of Legaia 2 to the mix and see if you can find PS1 classics like Dragon Warrior VII and Parasite Eve 2

evilross

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#12 evilross
Member since 2003 • 2076 Posts

I would highly recommend King's Field: The Ancient City, and Wizardry: Tale of the Forsaken Land.

Interesting, unique, and tons of gameplay hours in either game.

NodakJo2010

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#13 NodakJo2010
Member since 2010 • 1061 Posts

FFXIIMonsieurX

FFXII agreed...most engrossing final fantasy environment and gameplay wise.

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 219

#14 Jag85
Member since 2005 • 19680 Posts

It's been a very long while since I have been able to be glued to the tv with not wanting to put the game down because the story is that interesting. I need a game that has the story that good for the ps2.

Rpg's iv'e already beat are: Dragonquest 8, Rogue Galaxy, Tales of the Abyss, LOTR The Third Age, FF 1-2-4-5-6-7-10, Chrono Trigger, FF 7-2 (not a rpg, but continue of ff7) Star Ocean Till the End of Time, Persona 4, Kingdom Hearts, Wild Arms 3, Legend of Lagia 2. (There are more but cannot think of them right now)

Again, Im just really in need of a game that I could easily get lost in. Thanks for any input.

ristactionjakso

Dragon Quest V, Alundra, Wild Arms, Grandia I & II, Xenogears, Star Ocean: The Second Story, Chrono Cross, Final Fantasy VIII / IX / XII, Persona 3

Samslayer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

#15 Samslayer
Member since 2005 • 1852 Posts

I would definitely go for Star Ocean: The second story. The game is very immersive and has a ton of endings to explore. One of the better experiences on the PSX and that is saying a ton considering the amount of awesome games on the system.

Samslayer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

#16 Samslayer
Member since 2005 • 1852 Posts

ristactionjakso

I also noticed you have a ton of sequels. Why not try to find the previous installments. Legend of Legaia is a good RPG with a fun combat system, if you have already beaten the sequel, might as well experience the original!

CommanderShiro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 CommanderShiro
Member since 2005 • 21746 Posts

[QUOTE="MonsieurX"]FFXIIristactionjakso
I have the demo with DQ8, I never gave the game a try because I hated how the main character looks. I might just give it a go tho.

Ugh I hate him as well. Though once your party grows, you can choose other characters to be party leader. So you don't have to walk around as him as you explore the world outside of towns/cities. Also, as you play the game you realize hes just a background character in the plot......

ristactionjakso

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 ristactionjakso

[QUOTE="ristactionjakso"][QUOTE="MonsieurX"]FFXIICommanderShiro

Ugh I hate him as well. Though once your party grows, you can choose other characters to be party leader. So you don't have to walk around as him as you explore the world outside of towns/cities. Also, as you play the game you realize hes just a background character in the plot......

Hmmm, I will give this game a go for sure then. I really can't stand the main character, but as long as I can just play as someone else, and he's not the main plot then I could see myself liking this game.

Also I would like to add that I don't buy anything over the internet so ps1 games would be a no go. But the ones mentioned do look like something I could play. I'll check out pawn shops in the area, especially for Star Ocean 2.

rawsavon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 rawsavon
Member since 2004 • 40001 Posts
Story: Shadow Hearts 1 and 2 (PS2) Gameplay Fire Emblem Path of Radiance (Gamecube or Wii)
MLBknights58

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 MLBknights58
Member since 2006 • 5016 Posts

Can I add in PS1 titles?

Xenogears, absolutely great game there. Very fun.

Vagrant Story. While I admit I'm a little back and forth on this one, it's such a unique title that I feel obligated to at least recommend it to RPG fans. I feel it to be very polarizing however.

Your typical FF titles.

Chrono Chross. HATE this game, but if you want to get lost in a lengthy RPG this is the game for you.

Sorry my list lacks PS2 games, but I'm not too familar with other RPG's on the PS2 outside of the more widely known titles.

Avatar image for Apathetic_Prick
Apathetic_Prick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#21 Apathetic_Prick
Member since 2003 • 4789 Posts

It clearly sounds like you're JRPG fan, but if you're open to the Dark Side, I have some options for you:

Not sure what your console options are, but Morrowind and Knights of the Old Republic are excellent choices if you have an XBox or a PC capable of running them.

On the subject of PC gaming, if you have a relatively high-end P4 or comparable processor, DOS-Box opens up a lot of possibilities, too; Daggerfall and Arena, for instance (although Arena is not my top pick in that regard).

Also, you can't go wrong with The Fallout Trilogy, which has Fallout, Fallout 2 and Fallout: Tactics.

On the emulation side (or if you have an NES), Crystalis is also a brilliant choice.

Ragnarok1051

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Ragnarok1051
Member since 2007 • 20238 Posts

For PS1 games you must play Final Fantasy 9. You will get lost in that game for days with fantastic story and characters. The first Wild Arms is also really good and a remake of it can be found on the PS2. Try Suikoden 3, 4, or 5 for the PS2. They are supposed to have really good stories. Shadow Hearts series is also pretty good from what I hear.

PetJel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#23 PetJel
Member since 2009 • 3725 Posts

Dark Cloud and then Dark Chronicle. (Dark Cloud 2 in NA)

Avatar image for Emerald_Warrior
Emerald_Warrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#24 Emerald_Warrior
Member since 2008 • 6581 Posts

The Elder Scrolls games: Morrowind, Oblivion, and Skyrim. You will EASILY dump more hours into these games than any other games you've ever played, short of MMOs. The games are incredibly immersive, the worlds a VERY large, and there are sooooo many quests and other things to do in these games. Oblivion is the best in the series, IMO.

riou7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#25 riou7  Moderator
Member since 2007 • 10842 Posts
FFXIIMonsieurX
I'd say this as well.
benleslie5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 557

#26 benleslie5  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 9175 Posts
  • Final Fantasy IX
  • Persona 3
  • Vagrant Story
  • Odin Sphere
  • Dragon Quest VIII
D3dr0_0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 232

#27 D3dr0_0
Member since 2008 • 3530 Posts

Suikoden I, II and III

Breath of Fire III and IV

Vagrant Story

Chrono Cross

GunBladeHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#28 GunBladeHero
Member since 2007 • 894 Posts

Shin Megami Tensei: Nocturne. Took me in upwards of 100 hours to beat.

Spinnerweb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 92

#29 Spinnerweb
Member since 2009 • 2995 Posts
Everybody knows what I'm going to say... Valkyria Chronicles :lol:
jidaigeki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 jidaigeki
Member since 2003 • 51 Posts
Suikoden series Grandia series Lunar Series Ring of Red Vandal Hearts Xenogears
Avatar image for Eikichi-Onizuka
Eikichi-Onizuka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Eikichi-Onizuka
Member since 2008 • 9205 Posts
Breath of Fire series Dark Cloud 2 Disgaea series Shin Megami Tensei series(Digital Devil Saga 1-2, Nocturne, Persona 3 FES) Suikoden III and V
TFX-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 TFX-
"I need an RPG where I can completely get lost in the game for hours on end." Man, I miss the days when I had that kind of free time. And I'm not saying that as a jab at the poster, I'm being 100% serious...I REALLY miss them.
logicalfrank

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 96

#33 logicalfrank
Member since 2011 • 1686 Posts

"I need an RPG where I can completely get lost in the game for hours on end." Man, I miss the days when I had that kind of free time. And I'm not saying that as a jab at the poster, I'm being 100% serious...I REALLY miss them.TFX-

Me too. That's why I play a lot of handhelds now. They tend to work best for bite size gaming, which makes it easier for me to get in some game time here and there. I was played Dragon Quest VIII last year and it took me forever to get through it because I felt like you need to block out at least three or four hours to get anything done on it.

ScreamDream

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 ScreamDream
Member since 2006 • 3953 Posts
Was going to mention FF7 but it's on your list. I see you played Kingdom hears 1. Try KH2, it's awesome and I got lost a few times myself.
enz2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 enz2
Member since 2007 • 1689 Posts

I'd highly recommend Ys: The Ark of Napishtim. It's an Action-JRPG, old-school gameplay and very addictive. The music is amazing too :)

Avatar image for Emerald_Warrior
Emerald_Warrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#36 Emerald_Warrior
Member since 2008 • 6581 Posts

I'd highly recommend Ys: The Ark of Napishtim. It's an Action-JRPG, old-school gameplay and very addictive. The music is amazing too :)

enz2

What system? And does it have the same "run into the enemy to attack" fighting styIe as the old YS games?

enz2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 enz2
Member since 2007 • 1689 Posts

[QUOTE="enz2"]

Emerald_Warrior

What system? And does it have the same "run into the enemy to attack" fighting styIe as the old YS games?

For PS2, gameplay is hack 'n slash. It doesn't have the bump system as the first 2 games did.
cabose38

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 cabose38
Member since 2005 • 1162 Posts

Suikoden(all of them except 4)

NiKva

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 NiKva
Member since 2010 • 8181 Posts
Morrowind and Oblivion, I would recommend. You can not really get lost into the Final Fantasy games, but I still recommend them :D
ristactionjakso

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 ristactionjakso

enz2

Ok, I just did a youtube search and it looks cool. Does the game lean more to a Zelda type of game with an open world, puzzles and dungeons, or is it like a hack and slash game with linear gameplay?

dashscribbler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 dashscribbler
Not sure if it's already posted here, but I drowned most of my hours playing Tales games series. Tales of Eternia or Tales of Destiny 2 is my personal favorite. The fighting scenes are not turn-based, which I actually love and it has an excellent story line with some alternative endings. Tales of the Abyss has a good plot as well. I got so addicted to the game series, I even played Tales of Phantasia, which is like the raw version of Tales of Eternia. :) You should try it out.
Dark_Arcitekt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#43 Dark_Arcitekt
Member since 2011 • 25 Posts

I advise any or all of these.....

Secret Of Mana - Snes

Final Fantasy 3- Snes

Chrono Trigger - Snes

Persona -Psx

Legend Of Dragoon - Psx

Any of the Breath Of Fires (various)

Equinox - Snes

Beyond Oasis - Saturn

There are plenty more out there but any of those should do you very good on time and compelling stories/game play.Hope that helped some.

Avatar image for Containmomentum
Containmomentum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 Containmomentum
Member since 2012 • 117 Posts
Breath of Fire and breath of Fire 3. You will have no idea what you are doing.
nameless12345

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 nameless12345
Member since 2010 • 15125 Posts

The TES games with expansions.