I don't want to choose between Good and Evil in games.

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Davidfenn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Davidfenn
Member since 2007 • 73 Posts

And i never have wanted to. Its never been done well, and its been done badly so many times i don't even want anyone to try any more.

Plus, multiple endings is a bad thing, they're always both half as good as a real ending should be.

Who's with me?

BeyondPain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2 BeyondPain
Member since 2008 • 762 Posts
Not me =)
Naruto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Naruto
Member since 2002 • 8673 Posts
I kind of agree. It has grown old very quick.
LongZhiZi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 LongZhiZi
Member since 2009 • 2453 Posts
I don't mind necessarily good and evil routes, but I don't like when your choices are blatantly good or evil. If an RPG is really well done, the result should be a bit unpredictable so you just answer the way your character would instead of focusing on being more good/evil.
Avatar image for deactivated-5ac102a4472fe
deactivated-5ac102a4472fe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 deactivated-5ac102a4472fe
Member since 2007 • 7431 Posts

Honestly I often feel that the "good or Evil" shows a real lack of imagination, I prefer games that are more gray, it may be because of the way I am as a person, often doing what it ultimately a good thing, but doing it the worst, most evil way possible...

I do like choices, just please, dont let them be cardboard variants.

Deadly_Fatalis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#7 Deadly_Fatalis
Member since 2006 • 1756 Posts
I don't like the obvious good/evil. However I do enjoy making choices. If it's kind of like The Witcher, where there really isn't a good or evil side, just how you perceive things, I like choices like that much better.
Planeforger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Planeforger
Member since 2004 • 19592 Posts

I agree. Choices should never be as basic as good/evil (I'm looking at you, recent Bioware games :P).

DnD games had good/evil and lawful/chaotic scales, so that made your choices slightly more interesting...but even then, I greatly prefer more complex choices, like Ultima's virtue system or The Witcher's grey options with consequences.

SaviourJustice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 SaviourJustice
Member since 2007 • 489 Posts
Sorry, but don't agree with you. It's nice to have a good/evil route sometimes, that way it'd be more interesting to repeat the game. But if choosing the route is more of a perception game where you choose according to whim, I'd prefer that.
King9999

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 44

#10 King9999
Member since 2002 • 11837 Posts
Try some Ogre Battle games sometime. The choices you make in those games aren't so black and white. I wish Square Enix would make a new game...
kingdre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 kingdre
Member since 2005 • 9456 Posts

I disagree.

Davidfenn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Davidfenn

I'm thinking of fable, bioshock, gta IV, a number of original xbox games when it first kicked off, and from the looks of it infamous which is a shame, and i don't think any of them do it subtly (can't say for sure with infamous yet but i'm doubtful, i was so disappointed as soon as i heard 'moral choices' in the preview.

i really hated how they said they were going to blur the line in fable 2 but the game was really no different, still as daft as before, i enjoyed the first but the second annoyed me with its lack of improvement

BobZany

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#13 BobZany
Member since 2004 • 1407 Posts

More moral complexity would be nice. But I disagree on the multiple endings. More choice is always a good thing, and it's nice to see the effect of said choice on the game world.

JustPlainLucas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 226

#14 JustPlainLucas
Member since 2002 • 80441 Posts
Well, i would like a game where the choices you make have a more profound effect on not only the storyline, but the environment itself. As for multiple endings being bad, keep in mind that the game would probably have a disappointing ending anyway if it only had one ending.
Davidfenn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Davidfenn

haha, true, they should probably put the effort they put into a second ending into making the first ending better instead then

CarnageHeart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 CarnageHeart
Member since 2002 • 18316 Posts

I really loved KOTOR and I'm looking forward to Prototype. Sure, the way they handle good and evil is on the simple side, but I tend to appreciate freedom/choice in my games.

Great games with multiple endings that spring to mind for me are MGS1, Shin Megami Tensei Nocture and the first three Silent Hill games. I've got nothing against quality linear stories but plot points become more meaningful when my choices help bring them about.

The death of Aeris was a memorable moment, but its something I couldn't change, whereas if I withstood the torture (okay, mashed the buttons) long enough, I could have (and later, did) saved Meryl.

Systems_Id

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Systems_Id
Member since 2002 • 8156 Posts

I've always disliked the choice simply because it always diluted the experience for me. I'd rather developers just tell a focused story rather than giving me half-assed choices here and there.

Davidfenn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Davidfenn

I've always disliked the choice simply because it always diluted the experience for me. I'd rather developers just tell a focused story rather than giving me half-assed choices here and there.

Systems_Id

thats exactly what i'm getting at, well worded

mcSee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 mcSee
Member since 2009 • 25 Posts
It was done REALLY well in KOTOR. I really got into that world and was basically playing according to how I'd react if it were all real. I started off as just trying to do right by the cause, as most people would, then actually became seduced by the dark side when I visited the Sith homeworld, before finally getting my house in order because of disapproval by some of my party members. That's probably the only game where it was done well, though. The Star Wars universe has that kinda built-in, so it worked. When Biowars tried to put the same thing in Jade Empire and especially in Mass Effect, it just seemed contrived and pointless.
siddarthshetty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#20 siddarthshetty
Member since 2008 • 9463 Posts

Its there in even fallout 3,well i finished the game without harming any people or losing karma anywhy its not a big deal..

feifeifeifei

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 feifeifeifei
Member since 2004 • 79 Posts

Kotor is my favorite as well. Although I kind of agree with the OP that the good and evil path is rather pointless when it is so clean-cut obvious. You either help the poor lady with her problem or you kill her and rob her money. I mean...com'on...(Yeah, I'm looking at recent bioware games as well! ) I hope games with a bit more depth and more ambiguous. Fallout 3 is trying to give you more gray area to explore, but most of its choices still falls into black and white good/evil options.

I want to mention Silent Hill 2, you don't really make any conscious choices, there's no perticular moments that the game requires you to make a decision. In fact, through out the entire game, all the cut scene is pre-rendered, so there's really no "press X for yes press Y for no" moment. But in the end, your action during the game leads you to different endings. I think it is the best multi-ending game ever, simply because it's done with such subtlety, without a walkthrough guide, most players won't know they're making a choice until the end. I've never seen any other game likeit.

df853

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#22 df853
Member since 2004 • 1433 Posts

I like choices in the game, but I think the black and white, good and evil does seem a bit lame at times. It gets old. However, I think it is difficult to have a measure of your alignment in such a way that does not use the good/evil numeric values.

Perhaps they could measure your character in a more complex way. Maybe they could measure different aspects of your characters personality such as:

• Honesty vs deceit
  • Selfishness vs selflessness
  • Violent conflict resolution vs diplomatic conflict resolution
  • Nice guy/gal vs jerk
  • Lawful vs unlawful

and so on.

So you could be a nice selfless liar who resolves conflicts through diplomacy and always follows the law. Or you could be a jerk who is violent and selfish but brutally honest, but never follows the law.

Perhaps those aren't the best choices for character details, but I think you see what I'm getting at.

MentatAssassin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#23 MentatAssassin
Member since 2005 • 3007 Posts

It seems that most of the people responding to this post are forgetting one key thing. The good/evil choice isnt meant to be a distraction from the main storyline or the gameplay, it's supposed to bea reflection of how you think the game should be played out. KOTOR got it right for a reason and Mass Effect aptly continues this process. The point is to see what you(r) character is like when he's being a goody two shoes or an out right b*****d. It makes gameplay more interesting IMO.

Pvt_r3d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Pvt_r3d
Member since 2006 • 7901 Posts
[QUOTE="Davidfenn"]

And i never have wanted to. Its never been done well, and its been done badly so many times i don't even want anyone to try any more.

Plus, multiple endings is a bad thing, they're always both half as good as a real ending should be.

Who's with me?

Well then the Witcher is the perfect game for you then. There is only consequences in your decision.