How much are games to blame for mass shootings?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

taiwwa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 taiwwa
Member since 2012 • 301 Posts

To start off, I think Wayne LaPierre's news conference blaming the culture was all wrong. Furthermore, the NRA itself is responsible for much of the "jackbooted thugs" culture that directly lead to the atrocity in CT.

But to what extent do video games encourage violence? Adam Lanza spent hours playing Call of Duty and you can't completely discount this from his psyche.

Personally, for me, shooter games just end up numbing me, but that's also because I"m not really into guns and so like rifles and submachine guns feel the same. I'm sure that for guys really into guns, the distinctions between teh different firearms are like the draw of the game.

spike6958

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#2 spike6958
Member since 2005 • 6701 Posts
There not to blame at all, this is just a bunch of gun wielding idiots trying to move the blame to other peoples favorite pastimes in the hopes of not having there own banned. Here in the UK we don't have free access to guns, and you know what, for some strange reason no one goes into Schools or Cinema's and starts shooting people, it's weird.
CUDGEdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#3 CUDGEdave
Member since 2010 • 2597 Posts

None,This snot nosed loner was mentally deranged.

Saladin__7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Saladin__7
Member since 2012 • 116 Posts
Plenty of games encourage violence within the games and that's the truth. The level in which these games influence the player in the real world depends entirely on the psyche of the player. If a child is shown something gory then they may eventually become desensitized to it. It's only when a mentally ill or, someone of easy influence is exposed to these games that I believe they become more likely to endanger the well being of others.
killasaur2112

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 killasaur2112
Member since 2011 • 104 Posts

There not to blame at all, this is just a bunch of gun wielding idiots trying to move the blame to other peoples favorite pastimes in the hopes of not having there own banned. Here in the UK we don't have free access to guns, and you know what, for some strange reason no one goes into Schools or Cinema's and starts shooting people, it's weird.spike6958

QFT

Ricardomz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Ricardomz
Member since 2012 • 2715 Posts

They aren't.

Avatar image for Black_Knight_00
Black_Knight_00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#7 Black_Knight_00
Member since 2007 • 77 Posts
Attraction to guns and violence is a response to an innate tendency to violence present in human males. Violent media are a symptom, not a cause.
Zen_Light

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Zen_Light
Member since 2010 • 2143 Posts

Games like CoD aren't directly to blame for these shootings, but they might be more of a problem than a solution, in the grand scheme of things. I think parents let young people play these types of games way too much, and some players obsess with these types of games. A friend of mine, who is in the military, has gotten hooked on Call of Duty and he is not a gamer (this is the only thing he plays). He says that they are "teaching kids how to become killers".

I've noticed that a lot, and I mean a lot of people who play these online shooters tend to have anger problems, so maybe he's right. These kinds of games could be changing children, and not for the better. They seem to have no respect for life in general, and give it no value.

Vari3ty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Vari3ty
Member since 2009 • 11111 Posts

Came across this video the other day. It's a discussion about gun control in the wake of the Sandy Hook shootings, but it also touches on the violence in games and media. I think Penn Jillette's response to the criticisms of games is great, although he does lose his cool a bit. Not surprised though seeing as the other talk show people kept arguing over him.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e9044657a310
deactivated-5e9044657a310

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 deactivated-5e9044657a310
Member since 2005 • 8136 Posts
Videogames don't kill people. People kill People.
Avatar image for thedarklinglord
thedarklinglord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 thedarklinglord
Member since 2003 • 1106 Posts
I'd estimate less than 5% of the blame can be placed on video games. You can blame the parents for screwing the person up. You can blame society as a whole for shaping the person's view of violence and the value (or lack thereof) of human life. You can blame gun laws, gun manufactures, gun stores for making weapons so easily available. You can blame poor diet or lack of exercise for causing an imbalance of chemicals in the brain. You can blame the deity or anti-deity of your choice for failing to intervene on behalf of the victims or influencing the deranged individual to commit such actions. You can play the blame game without end. Fact of the matter is, video games are just a convenient scapegoat. Nobody wants to accept their measure of responsibility. And nobody likes the simple truth that sometimes bad things just happen, that evil exists in this world in a vast variety of forms, and nothing we say or do is ever going to stop tragedies from occurring. That's life. Suck it up and learn to deal with it.
Floppy_Jim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#12 Floppy_Jim
Member since 2007 • 25931 Posts
Government suits and the media have to appear to be doing something about it or being outraged about it; ergo, violent videogames are blamed.
Treflis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Treflis
Member since 2004 • 13757 Posts
Nothing. There is only one person to blame for mass shootings, only one. And that is. The person who chose to shoot others. That's it. Blaming others is just a desperate grab to find something to make sense of it, But senseless things happen sometimes.
jun_aka_pekto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#14 jun_aka_pekto
Member since 2010 • 25255 Posts

They seem to have no respect for life in general, and give it no value.

Zen_Light

Sounds like a bunch of them over at OT.

_BlueDuck_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 _BlueDuck_
Member since 2003 • 11986 Posts

Strangely enough, we Canadians (and presumably, Europeans) have managed to play violent video games and not shoot each other.

Doggybones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Doggybones
Member since 2008 • 105 Posts

Video games don't cause more violence,Its just that because the game industry have been growing these last years that more and more people who commit these violent acts also will happen to be in possession of a video game system.

Ray1234567891

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Ray1234567891
Member since 2012 • 38 Posts
It is ancient question. For example in my childhood we had some russian computer journals, where this themes was permanent. My opinion - what cruelty in school between schoolboys produce further much more fatal violence, then computer games. In Russia we supports pure American little kids with our souls. Everyone. Believe me.
DoomZaW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#18 DoomZaW
Member since 2007 • 6475 Posts

Came across this video the other day. It's a discussion about gun control in the wake of the Sandy Hook shootings, but it also touches on the violence in games and media. I think Penn Jillette's response to the criticisms of games is great, although he does lose his cool a bit. Not surprised though seeing as the other talk show people kept arguing over him.

Vari3ty

holy hell, i never thought i'd be able to find a textbook definition of dumb american house wives, and there they are. Love how they just go on and say : " IT'S CALL OF DUTY'S FAULT!" "IT'S THE POLTICIANS FAULT!" "IT'S THE MEDIA'S FAULT" and what not. All while ignoring the fact that maybe it was just one lunatic's fault.

Ray1234567891

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Ray1234567891
Member since 2012 • 38 Posts
I don't know as this correct in this case to write centence below, but i think, i should it do. I'm not good in politic games (i think people of your country and my country follow last news about "some last laws"). But in equialent of facebook (100+ millions users in Russia, Ukraine, Belarus and Kazakstan: vk.com) people all around Russia - in villages, cities, everywhere talk each other about how this tragedy was terrible. In our Media we have a lot of support-words about this story. About this ungeilty, poor kids. And i don't know - can your hear it or not. But i hope, some of you can feel it. Because you and me is Human. Sincere.
capaho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#21 capaho
Member since 2003 • 1253 Posts

People with normal, healthy coping skills don't commit mass shootings. Violence in media, whether TV, games or movies has been both controversial and well studied, but there is no direct link between the playing of video games and a propensity for violence. Substance abuse is the major factor in increased violence in the U.S. It's very difficult to kill real people with a video game. However, put a gun into the hands of a person with mental problems or substance abuse issues and, well, we see what happens time and time again. Easy access to guns by people who shouldn't have them is the problem.

campzor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 campzor
Member since 2004 • 34932 Posts
not to blame at all.. only morons think so
Darkmoone1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Darkmoone1
Member since 2008 • 2845 Posts
Video games are just used to be blamed upon when something goes wrong with them, so they cannot take responsibility for themselves. I also believe......wait for it.......mass shootings existed before video games came to be.
taiwwa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 taiwwa
Member since 2012 • 301 Posts

People with normal, healthy coping skills don't commit mass shootings. Violence in media, whether TV, games or movies has been both controversial and well studied, but there is no direct link between the playing of video games and a propensity for violence. Substance abuse is the major factor in increased violence in the U.S. It's very difficult to kill real people with a video game. However, put a gun into the hands of a person with mental problems or substance abuse issues and, well, we see what happens time and time again. Easy access to guns by people who shouldn't have them is the problem.

capaho

I actually think that games are a trailing indicator of american culture. America right now is awash in gory military shooters like Call of Duty, but we've also been fighting two wars for much of the decade.

jsmoke03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#25 jsmoke03
Member since 2004 • 13717 Posts

none...nra is just being ironic in all of this because they don't want the issue to fall to guns or better yet...just hold that man responsible for what he did

Celldrax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Celldrax
Member since 2005 • 15053 Posts

Boy this has been a hot topic lately... (I'm not in America, so I don't know what's going on with the subject over there in the news or whatever).

Anyway, no, games are not to blame at all. It's just dumb morons looking for a scapegoat.

For a video game to trigger someone to go out on a shooting spree, you yourself have to be even capable of doing such a thing in the first place. And I think I can safely assume that the majority of gamers worldwide hardly have the ability to kill, let alone point a loaded gun at a child.

Sorry any politicians looking to blame video games for an individuals own instability, but you're f*cking idiots if you do.