how have you built your collection on a budget?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

drekula2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 0

#1 drekula2
Member since 2012 • 3349 Posts

After each gen, I sold all my old games. Now I'm regretting it and building my collection back. The kind of collection I want would have a few hundred games and cost thousands of dollars overall

The problem is that my funds are limited, so I'm being smart about it.

I'm buying all my games used from the internet. Lightly damaged boxes and greatest-hits/GOTY boxes are an eye-sore, but I figure I can replace them. I'll get everything I need to practically play the game first and then worry about the cosmetics.

I also decided to stick to 10 consoles max. There are numerous consoles that have stuff I like on them but not enough for me personally to justify a purchase.

So I'll probably piece it together in a couple of years. Granted, already I have more games than I'll able to beat, but collecting is nonetheless really important to me.

What about you?

dbtbandit67

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 dbtbandit67
Member since 2012 • 415 Posts

Salvation Army is a great way to go bargain hunting if you were willing to put the time into it.

Ariabed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#3  Edited By Ariabed
Member since 2014 • 2121 Posts

The same way anyone in their right mind would by hitting the pre owned shelfs and not buying new releases.

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Lulu_Lulu
Member since 2013 • 19564 Posts

You did what ! :o

did you get caught up in the hype or something ?

Anyway I bought Trine 2 by not paying my Rent...... :p

Behardy24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#5 Behardy24
Member since 2014 • 5324 Posts

@dbtbandit67 said:

Salvation Army is a great way to go bargain hunting if you were willing to put the time into it.

Goodwill and flea markets are also great places.

Minishdriveby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#6  Edited By Minishdriveby
Member since 2006 • 10519 Posts

Years, sales, online shopping, and not buying day one. Also DRM free digital stores like GOG, humble bundle, and freeware are great things to put on an external hard drive for smaller obscurer titles.

SapSacPrime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#7  Edited By SapSacPrime
Member since 2004 • 8925 Posts

I have a lot of consoles and a lot of games for them, all boxed up and packed away. I will say though, it often gets on my nerves when I'm decorating or something and I have to lug them about, but my wife won't let me sell them because she knows how much I would regret it later.

Good luck getting your collection back :).

Namgis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#8 Namgis
Member since 2009 • 3592 Posts

I enter next gen 3 years after launch. Then I can get all the games I want in their respective definitive collections, at a steal of a deal. My collection for gen 7 is hovering around 50 games, then there's 5-7 I still have to buy. I'm on pace for a 2016 entry into gen 8, at the earliest, so I'm on a good pace. I like having games to play, not waiting around for something that looks decent at full retail.

High-Res

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#9 High-Res
Member since 2005 • 273 Posts

@drekula2 said:

After each gen, I sold all my old games. Now I'm regretting it and building my collection back. The kind of collection I want would have a few hundred games and cost thousands of dollars overall

The problem is that my funds are limited, so I'm being smart about it.

I'm buying all my games used from the internet. Lightly damaged boxes and greatest-hits/GOTY boxes are an eye-sore, but I figure I can replace them. I'll get everything I need to practically play the game first and then worry about the cosmetics.

I also decided to stick to 10 consoles max. There are numerous consoles that have stuff I like on them but not enough for me personally to justify a purchase.

So I'll probably piece it together in a couple of years. Granted, already I have more games than I'll able to beat, but collecting is nonetheless really important to me.

What about you?

Right now is the PERFECT Time to Build an X360 & Ps3 Collection. Almost every single AAA Title from the last 10 years can be purchased at $4.99 - $14.99 or less!

Ive been buying classic awesome games and 4 copies of them (To do multiplayer at the house) Games like Hawx for $4.00!!! tHE oUTFIT FOR $1.99 , cALL OF dUTY 4 FOR LIKE $2.99!!!

I just got Borderlands 2, Spec Ops the Line & Mafia 2 (hey 2 outta 3 aint bad) at Walmart for $19.99!!!!