How difficult does a game have to be to ruin it for you?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Funkyhamster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 Funkyhamster
Member since 2005 • 17366 Posts

I recently decided to play through MGS: The Twin Snakes on the maximum hardest difficulty settings, since I've beaten it on almost all the other ones - Extreme Difficulty, No Radar, and the "If you get seen you lose" option. At first I was anticipating an uber-realistic, hardcore experience. Well it's definitely hardcore (you pretty much have to memorize the guards' movement patterns) but it's too frustrating to actually be fun for me; I'm mostly just doing it for... the bragging rights? :| I'm not really sure...

So what about you guys? Do you play through games on the hardest difficulty level the first time you get them? Or do you enjoy being able to beat games with style on the easiest difficulty setting?

Clan_Crushbone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 Clan_Crushbone
Member since 2007 • 1501 Posts
I have a very small patience, and get angry pretty quickly at stupid **** So when a game has me swearing at the television because its so difficult, it isnt worth it for me. Pretty much any game where the only way to beat it is to do the same checkpoint 1500 times to figure out the exact way to do it drives me insane. The exact reason I didnt bother doing the Call of duty games on Veteran difficulty. Thats also probably why I stick to singleplayer JRPGs as my primary genre. Very easy, more about time spent than learning anything. So I guess all in all im a wimp when it comes to games, and I hate losing. Flame me if you will.
SemiMaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 81

#3 SemiMaster
Member since 2006 • 19011 Posts

Until my cousin came in and helped me, General RAAM on insane almost ruined Gears for me for the longest time. But with 2 player (the game I swear was meant to be coop) he was rather managable. We beat him after like 3 tries considering none of us played the game for like 3 months.

If a game is incredibly difficult off the bat and you cant change that in options, difficult to the point of frustration, then it ruins it.

To be honest, Devil May Cry was not only boring, but incredibly difficult for me, and that's probably why I never got into the series to begin with.

Shiggums

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 30

#4 Shiggums
Member since 2007 • 21436 Posts
Usually difficulty doesn't ruin a game for me, but every now and then I play a game that's difficult and I get too frustrated to enjoy it anymore. Dirge of Cerberus was one.
guitboxdude25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#5 guitboxdude25
Member since 2006 • 2120 Posts
it only ruins it for me when a game switches settings like if its really really easy then all of a sudden its impossible
Brutal_Elitegs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Brutal_Elitegs
Member since 2004 • 16426 Posts
I like my games of normal difficulty. I am not a casual gamer but I am also not an extreme hardcore gamer that needs to know the exact button sequences, at the exact time, and any mistake and you start over, that just drives me mad and tbh it isn't really worth my time. For example I have 970 gamerpoints on Virtua Tennis 3, and the last achievement is so incredibly difficult, I must have spent 10-20 hours on it and still haven't come close to getting it. During that time I felt like to smash my controller, and when I get close to doing it but fail it makes me for loss of a better word, depressed.
atony12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#7 atony12
Member since 2007 • 960 Posts
i usually start at easiest and work my way up
Dencore

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Dencore
Member since 2006 • 7094 Posts

I have a very small patience, and get angry pretty quickly at stupid **** So when a game has me swearing at the television because its so difficult, it isnt worth it for me. Pretty much any game where the only way to beat it is to do the same checkpoint 1500 times to figure out the exact way to do it drives me insane. The exact reason I didnt bother doing the Call of duty games on Veteran difficulty. Thats also probably why I stick to singleplayer JRPGs as my primary genre. Very easy, more about time spent than learning anything. So I guess all in all im a wimp when it comes to games, and I hate losing. Flame me if you will. Clan_Crushbone

If you primarly play games by Square-Enix yes that's true but step into the world of Atlus such as in Etrian Odyessy and Odin Sphere and your head will explode.

Avatar image for deactivated-5855efbca02a1
deactivated-5855efbca02a1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 52

#9 deactivated-5855efbca02a1
Member since 2005 • 9341 Posts
I hate hard games. I like really easy games. What's the point making games so hard that it isn't fun? To be honest, I'm worried about buying NGS because I heard it was hard. I heard that you'll need to replay levels just to collect health potions. That's not fun, that's tedius. But I loved the demo.
Avatar image for deactivated-5855efbca02a1
deactivated-5855efbca02a1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 52

#10 deactivated-5855efbca02a1
Member since 2005 • 9341 Posts

[QUOTE="Clan_Crushbone"]I have a very small patience, and get angry pretty quickly at stupid **** So when a game has me swearing at the television because its so difficult, it isnt worth it for me. Pretty much any game where the only way to beat it is to do the same checkpoint 1500 times to figure out the exact way to do it drives me insane. The exact reason I didnt bother doing the Call of duty games on Veteran difficulty. Thats also probably why I stick to singleplayer JRPGs as my primary genre. Very easy, more about time spent than learning anything. So I guess all in all im a wimp when it comes to games, and I hate losing. Flame me if you will. Dencore

If you primarly play games by Square-Enix yes that's true but step into the world of Atlus such as in Etrian Odyessy and Odin Sphere and your head will explode.

I totally agree. I was playing STM Nocturne, and as much as I loved the game, I didn't like the fact that I had to level up for over five hours, and then defeat the boss with one character remaining with low hp left, and around 10 minutes later there was another, even harder boss, which I'll have to level up another 5 hours just to beat. I just gave up.

The_PirateKing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 The_PirateKing
Member since 2005 • 9714 Posts
~-~It depends on what way it's difficult. Some games you can tell you lost cuz you suck, while others it's just a bad game and there's nothing you could of done. Things like check points, if I work really hard to get past one part, then die after I beat it, you better make damn sure I don't have to re do the part I just beat. Castlevania is an example of a hard game that you can still do, except the first one. The way the jumping works in the first one annoys me so much I don't even know if I'm going to finish it. But all the others I've played I can beat even at an intensionally low level. (as low as I can get) RE4 is another hard but my fault one. So I live games as hard as they can get, but if you make it hard by giving me a lack of check points or crappy game mechanics then I'm not going to like it.~-~ ~-~PS: No offence to the old Castlevanias, just the first one. I'm not a Castlevania noob that only likes the new ones. Super Castlevania 4 is a great game that I didn't find frustrating at all.~-~
dante_123456

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#12 dante_123456
Member since 2005 • 15011 Posts
usually a games diffucultydoesn't turn me away, infact it usually makes me want to play it more so i can get better at it
weber182

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 weber182
Member since 2006 • 202 Posts

I have a very small patience, and get angry pretty quickly at stupid **** So when a game has me swearing at the television because its so difficult, it isnt worth it for me. Pretty much any game where the only way to beat it is to do the same checkpoint 1500 times to figure out the exact way to do it drives me insane. The exact reason I didnt bother doing the Call of duty games on Veteran difficulty. Thats also probably why I stick to singleplayer JRPGs as my primary genre. Very easy, more about time spent than learning anything. So I guess all in all im a wimp when it comes to games, and I hate losing. Flame me if you will. Clan_Crushbone

Exactly. I'm of the same mold. JRPGs are rarely frustrating, but when you do get stuck on a boss battle and your not leveled up enough, they're perhaps the most frustrating, since save points are so few and far between.

Fireball2500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Fireball2500
Member since 2004 • 3421 Posts

When the AI is so good they can see you....even when it's literally impossible for it to be vice-versa.

EDIT:Oh, and one-hit kills....with normal enemies. Have mercy.

Arisugawa00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Arisugawa00
Member since 2004 • 267 Posts
as long as its hard because you suck or its a fair challange it ok their is hard and than their is cheap
DocsDeLorean

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 DocsDeLorean
Member since 2004 • 2532 Posts
Depends on the gameplay. Ninja Gaiden for Xbox was harder than hell the first time I played it, but because it had such good gameplay, I kept at it and finally beat it. If a game is hard because of a horrible camera or bad collision detection, than I probably wouldn't play it. In the end, I prefer games with a medium difficulty.
cametall

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 cametall
Member since 2003 • 7692 Posts

I'm not too great at games like Odin Sphere but I bought it any ways. The Demon Lord boss pissed me off bad. It took over 10 tries to me to kill him!

I also just bought (today) Ninja Gaiden for Xbox. God almighty! The first boss beat the crap out of me, the second boss beat the **** out of me. The 3rd boss (fat laser guy on zepplin) was easy. But in the city sometimes I can go up against 3 or 4 guys and kill them like I am an expert, round a corner and run into an identical group and have them spank me bad...

Sometimes the AI in Hitman can piss me off since small things can make their patrol patterns erratic.

But no, I have not had a game get so hard I quit playing it for forever. :D

Pegasus_Shade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Pegasus_Shade
Member since 2005 • 897 Posts

I recently decided to play through MGS: The Twin Snakes on the maximum hardest difficulty settings, since I've beaten it on almost all the other ones - Extreme Difficulty, No Radar, and the "If you get seen you lose" option. At first I was anticipating an uber-realistic, hardcore experience. Well it's definitely hardcore (you pretty much have to memorize the guards' movement patterns) but it's too frustrating to actually be fun for me; I'm mostly just doing it for... the bragging rights? :| I'm not really sure...

So what about you guys? Do you play through games on the hardest difficulty level the first time you get them? Or do you enjoy being able to beat games with style on the easiest difficulty setting?

Funkyhamster

lol you ever try European Extreme - that is truly nuts (only available in *** and europe based MSG games I think)

But most of the time I try my games on all difficulties to see if they are fun - most are

I especially loved GOW on God mode, last boss fight - Nice challenge lol, Same with DMC and DMD good fun and a good challenge - the only time I hate games because of difficulty is if they only hard because of poor quality or faulty gameplay that just doesnt work - else I will try the harder difficulties - most FPS I start on Hard because they just aint fun if they are too easy as they tend to be on Normal

shiva-vibrant

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 shiva-vibrant
Member since 2007 • 25 Posts

It really depends for me. However I do have one golden rule.... I don't ever play games one easy. I always choose normal, unless of course it's a game I feel capable of playing on hard or needs to be on hard to be more challenging. While it may sound out-of-date or small-time, at one point, just being able to beat Kingdom Hearts on normal felt a bit hard, because that was really my first initiation into gaming without the added cushions I had become use to. Up until playing that game, Halo was the only thing I had ever played one every difficulty with expert precision, mostly because playing a game over a dozen times does cause your knowledge of the best ways to use the game mechanisms to your advantage to increase. I also played Ninja Gaiden on normal as well, those being my only choices with just an Xbox at the time.

Since then, do much in part to my newbie excitement from just getting a PS2 and having a whole new consoles worth of games to play I've grown into my gamer shoes. So now I prefer the challenge in a game to be level. I don't mind it being hard, but I don't want it to be destructively frustrating. There is no satisfaction in trying to beat a game that is purposely being cruel and cheating through it's teeth. I want my challenge to be an intelligent one, something with meaning to it, that may be frustrating but doesn't go to thelengths of making suicide seem like a logical option.

Abby88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#20 Abby88
Member since 2004 • 642 Posts

It depends on why the game is difficult. If it's just difficult because I suck at it, then I'm likely to keep trying in hopes of improving my mad skillz. But if it's difficult because, say, the game itself is cheating, then I have very little patience with it.

Oh, and I usually play games on whatever the default/normal difficulty is. Then if I enjoyed the game and feel up to challenging myself (or if normal was just too easy), after I've beaten it I'll go back through and do the harder difficulty levels. I only ever use easy if the normal mode is just really, REALLY kicking my ass (which doesn't happen all that often).

Korubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Korubi
Member since 2003 • 261 Posts
Kinda hard to pinpoint exactly why, but if I'm still having fun then it doesn't really matter how hard a game is. If a boss in Metroid Prime or Ninja Gaiden is kicking my ass but I'm still enjoying every attempt i have at defeating it, then it doesn't really bother me that I can't get past it.
Ghost_702

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#22 Ghost_702
Member since 2006 • 7405 Posts
I get pissed off at a lot of games. Any game will piss me off if the levels take me more than 3 tries to beat. Fighting games in particular piss me off because the AI strings together impossible combinations while I can't even do one because of the rediculous amount of buttons I have to press.
Avatar image for deactivated-5b19c359a3789
deactivated-5b19c359a3789

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 deactivated-5b19c359a3789
Member since 2002 • 7785 Posts
I draw the line at C'thun 1.0.
MKHavoc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 MKHavoc
Member since 2007 • 1100 Posts

When I'm new to a game I play on the normal difficulty. If it's a sequal to a game in a series I'm good at and there aren't many gameplay changes, I have no problem starting on thehard difficulty.

EDIT: I do try to avoid games that I hear are very difficult. When I got RE 4 I didn't know it was gonna be such a challenge. That's part of the reason why I stopped playing the game near the end and didin't finish. I almost feels like it makes me less of a gamer.:(

Poshkidney

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#25 Poshkidney
Member since 2006 • 3803 Posts
when the diffcuultity is so hard it is near impossible to finish or when it has so many bugs and design flaws that playing it is more of fustrating
Oyeoyeoye

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Oyeoyeoye
Member since 2007 • 479 Posts
I usually start my games on the normal setting first and work my way up if I enjoyed it enough. All the FPS's I'll start on normal but I'm pretty sure I could do it on the Hard setting first. Mostly to learn the levels so I don't hang myself from the ceiling if something were really hard on a higher setting. Right now the RWD cars in Forza 2 are driving me nuts. But the beauty of that game is I can fine tune the difficulty to exactly how I need it.
Avatar image for Video_Game_King
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 28

#27 Video_Game_King
Member since 2003 • 27545 Posts
Physically impossible for me to beat it. I mean there's 100% no way for me to get through it. And I've played games like this: Landstalker, Kolibri, Lunar 2: Eternal Blue.
Avatar image for carpathianrogue
carpathianrogue

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 carpathianrogue
Member since 2006 • 147 Posts

Funkyhamster
What ruins a game in terms of difficulty is when it's simply overwhelming, and you get the feeling that no matter how much you tried, you wouldn't surpass that task. (whatever it might be) You've got to be careful, now though, because things are becoming increasingly "accessible", so it's best to check reviews and that sort of thing before making your selection on that menu. Then again, in Monster Madness, I select "Thriller" (the default/normal) and it's a bit of an uphill struggle. I've a feeling the higher 2 diffs will be just nightmareish - yet I don't feel the inclination to just give it up. That's the line, for me. It still remains fun, though it may be very difficult. What you don't want to do, is start a game, and hit a cliff. A steep escalator though, is far more likely to be something enjoyable. I suppose it depends on genre, too though, as I was made to look amateurish by NBA Street vol. 2, so with Homecourt, I have it set to Medium, and find it plays a good game at that.
dchan01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 dchan01
Member since 2002 • 2768 Posts
It has to be Battletoads caliber hard before I'll give up.
HandsomeDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 HandsomeDead
Member since 2006 • 596 Posts
For me, the problem is when it reaches the point where you just feel like you're getting nowhere. For example, on Devil May Cry, when I first faught Nelo Angelo, he killed me. But I kept trying, and I kept getting further and so I was fine with it. When you have to fight him for the last time though, I kept getting smoked, no matter what I did and it was at that point, I realised I had to start on Easy.
ebbderelict

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 173

#31 ebbderelict
Member since 2005 • 3992 Posts

Funkyhamster
First time around, I tend to play on the easiest setting. Second time around, I may crank it up.
DarkCatalyst

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 DarkCatalyst
Member since 2002 • 20984 Posts

It's not about how difficult a game is. It's about how a game is difficult.

If that difficulty comes from raw AI quality or design, it can be the hardest game of all time and I'll still like it.

If that difficulty comes from a poor frame rate or bad game design, that's a big problem.

yungswift44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#33 yungswift44
Member since 2003 • 1614 Posts
i love a difficult game, until it gets cheap (jinpachi...errrrgh) but if a game is difficult because you have to be smart and use your reflexes i love it, but when it becomes completly unfair it ruins it for me like really i wonder why developers programs games certain ways like come on