Heroes of Might and Magic is the best strategy RPG series ever....

This topic is locked from further discussion.

texasgoldrush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 0

#1 texasgoldrush
Member since 2003 • 14925 Posts

No contest...

Sure, other franchises are great, from the eastern Ogre Battle, Fire Emblem, and FF Tactics series and the western Disciples andAge of Wonders series...but Heroes of Might and Magic is the crown of the SRPG genre. It in fact, even eclisped a legendary Might and Magic RPGseries, the series it spins off.

Why?

Becuase it nearly perfects blending both strategy and battle tactics together, can be played competitively, has its own unique charm, excellent soundtracks in every game, great storytelling (except for Heroes V), and excellent replayability.

While the first heroes game was great, its Heroes II that was the breakthrough. An epic game about a good brother and an evil brother battling for the throne after their fater, hero of the first game, dies. Heroes III is near perfection, the best SRPG ever made. 9 different unique factions after the two incredible expansions. Heroes IV was not so good, it took some risks that did not work out, like having heroes as units on the battlefield. The storytelling and the incredible soundtrack make it worth playing.

For a taste of the incredible soundtrack....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KByla_uGhro

Heroes V...incredibly underrated game. A return to Heroes IIIformat, heroes are no longer units but still have turns and attacks. The storytelling took a serious hit as their was a new developer who decided to reboot the series canon. But all in all, a great game. Hammers of Fate was a decent expansion, but Tribes of the East is a phenominal expansion. The gamespot review, a 5.5, is so utterly moronic. What a stupid review. Nothing really interesting...how about an expansion that not only changes the fundamentals of the game, doubling the unit count types through new alternate upgrades (and really deepens the strategic options, wow...but takes the series in a great new direction gameplay wise. Pretty much the dumbest review on this site. Heroes V in all may not be the best in the series and match III's glory, its skill and magic system, wildly different abilities for each hero (for example a knight can train low level troops into higher level troops while the necromancer raises enemy dead into his army), and in ToTE, alternate upgrades is a huge step foreward in the series.

Heroes V also has an amazing OST...the Haven Theme is the main recurring theme throught the game.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=86Y447mzPV0

spookykid143

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 spookykid143
Member since 2009 • 10393 Posts

Two topics weren't needed.

StrawberryHill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 StrawberryHill
Member since 2008 • 5321 Posts

Two topics weren't needed.

spookykid143

Yeah. It must be so truly amazing that he had to post it twice. :roll:

illmatic87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 564

#4 illmatic87
Member since 2008 • 17935 Posts
I hope youve bought your Disgaea/Fire Emblem/FF Tactics shield, but then again considering your Deus Ex Invisible War thread in SW, Im sure you are capable of handling yourself. I have only played III and V, but I prefer the rather entertaining and hilariously written Kings Bounty: The Legend
topsemag55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#5 topsemag55
Member since 2007 • 19063 Posts

This is a RTS, not a RPG.

UpInFlames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 41

#6 UpInFlames
Member since 2004 • 13301 Posts

This is a RTS, not a RPG.topsemag55

No, it's a turn-based strategy game (RTS stands for REAL-TIME strategy). It does have some light RPG elements, though.

And yes, it's phenomenal. The Succession Wars was great, but Heroes III is probably my favorite game ever. I have not played any game as long as that one (about 7 years, on and off) and I have an incredible amount of memories - be it single-player or the epic hot-seat battles. Heroes IV was a huge disappointment, easily the biggest let down I've ever had to experience gaming-wise. Nival managed to return the series to its former glory with Heroes V by taking Heroes III and what little worked in Heroes IV and bringing the series to 3D. Tribes of the East is, hands down, the best Heroes expansion pack ever. GameSpot's review was what it was because it's obvious that the reviewer hated Heroes V in the first place - Heroes V was reviewed by Greg K.

cprmauldin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#7 cprmauldin
Member since 2009 • 1567 Posts

I for one have always wanted to give the series a whirl.

rangegear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#8 rangegear
Member since 2008 • 3029 Posts

Starcraft anyone?

djsundowner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#9 djsundowner
Member since 2006 • 995 Posts

The title should be: Heroes of Might and Magic is the best Turn-Based Strategy series ever. You're confusing everyone who doesn't know the difference. That being said, you're right, especially if you pretend Heroes IV never happened. Like UpInFlames, I still play Heroes III to this day and I even got my wife hooked on it. The random map generator from the Armageddon's Blade expansion makes the game infinitely replayable.

djsundowner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 djsundowner

cprmauldin

My buddy lost my copy of III when he was evicted from his apartment a number of years ago. Fortunately, I found III & IV complete for under $10 from a place called "Sold Out Software" or some such thing. I highly recommend it (for III, IV pretty much blew).

UpInFlames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 41

#11 UpInFlames
Member since 2004 • 13301 Posts

[QUOTE="cprmauldin"]

djsundowner

My buddy lost my copy of III when he was evicted from his apartment a number of years ago. Fortunately, I found III & IV complete for under $10 from a place called "Sold Out Software" or some such thing. I highly recommend it (for III, IV pretty much blew).

Also, Heroes III Complete is available on GOG for $9,99 - manuals, creature tables and soundtrack included for free.

sub-raid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#12 sub-raid
Member since 2006 • 1613 Posts
Actually i am currently playing heroes III best Strategy ever :D
texasgoldrush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 texasgoldrush

The title should be: Heroes of Might and Magic is the best Turn-Based Strategy series ever. You're confusing everyone who doesn't know the difference. That being said, you're right, especially if you pretend Heroes IV never happened. Like UpInFlames, I still play Heroes III to this day and I even got my wife hooked on it. The random map generator from the Armageddon's Blade expansion makes the game infinitely replayable.

djsundowner
Its both an SRPG and a TBS Many scenarios dump you without a real town with limited number of troops...battle tactics come more into play here. Especially Heroes IV and V.
djsundowner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 djsundowner

[QUOTE="djsundowner"]

texasgoldrush

Its both an SRPG and a TBS Many scenarios dump you without a real town with limited number of troops...battle tactics come more into play here. Especially Heroes IV and V.

I'm just saying that because people are trying to throw in Starcraft and the like. Starcraft does the things you mentioned as well, and I don't consider that an RPG.

Oilers99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#15 Oilers99
Member since 2002 • 28844 Posts
Wait... this series is turn-based strategy? Oy, I've got a GameTap subscription and had avoided jumping on the bandwagon because I haven't been that enthusiastic about real-time strategy games. I have definitely been craving turn-based strategy lately, after binging on Path of Radiance not too long ago... this may just be the thing...
tricap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 tricap
Member since 2006 • 25 Posts
I love this game series. I have not played the more recent ones but played the heck out of two and three. The game has such a great atmosphere, it is really easy to get caught up making a buffed hero just for a single battle.
texasgoldrush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 texasgoldrush

[QUOTE="topsemag55"]This is a RTS, not a RPG.UpInFlames

No, it's a turn-based strategy game (RTS stands for REAL-TIME strategy). It does have some light RPG elements, though.

And yes, it's phenomenal. The Succession Wars was great, but Heroes III is probably my favorite game ever. I have not played any game as long as that one (about 7 years, on and off) and I have an incredible amount of memories - be it single-player or the epic hot-seat battles. Heroes IV was a huge disappointment, easily the biggest let down I've ever had to experience gaming-wise. Nival managed to return the series to its former glory with Heroes V by taking Heroes III and what little worked in Heroes IV and bringing the series to 3D. Tribes of the East is, hands down, the best Heroes expansion pack ever. GameSpot's review was what it was because it's obvious that the reviewer hated Heroes V in the first place - Heroes V was reviewed by Greg K.

The only real weaknesses to Tribes of the East are lack of Sylvan involvement (but Tieru gets his own scenario, so there is a chance to play the elves in a story mission). They could have easily added a Zehir mission aiding Findan, and then throw him into the final scenario. The only significant Sylvan enemy in the campaign is a ship in the second orc mission. Also the very final battle is unbalanced...she is so stacked that I had to build my army for months. The stacks of level 7 creatures given to me are not only useless, mixing them together caused severe morale penalties, making the battle harder. And this is on normal. Won the final mission in the tenth month with over 200 Storm Titans.
Vexx88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 60

#18 Vexx88
Member since 2006 • 33342 Posts
Advance Wars King of strategy. /thread
texasgoldrush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 texasgoldrush
Advance Wars King of strategy. /threadVexx88
good, but not like heroes
Hexagon_777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Hexagon_777
Member since 2007 • 20348 Posts

[QUOTE="djsundowner"][QUOTE="cprmauldin"]I for one have always wanted to give the series a whirl.UpInFlames
My buddy lost my copy of III when he was evicted from his apartment a number of years ago. Fortunately, I found III & IV complete for under 10$ from a place called "Sold Out Software" or some such thing. I highly recommend it (for III, IV pretty much blew).

Also, Heroes III Complete is available on GOG for 9.99$ - manuals, creature tables and soundtrack included for free.

You must have seen my post in the other thread. :oops:

Brother_Tevis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#21 Brother_Tevis
Member since 2008 • 195 Posts

Should I go play Heroes III now?.. It has been sitting out for a while

Hexagon_777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Hexagon_777
Member since 2007 • 20348 Posts

Should I go play Heroes III now?.. It has been sitting out for a whileBrother_Tevis
Aye, lad, and make haste! :|

d494ugga

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 d494ugga
Member since 2006 • 25 Posts

Hi. I wish u guys to guide me on how I might add monsters to my hero (fill all blank slots)

Thank u ..8)

texasgoldrush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 texasgoldrush
[QUOTE="d494ugga"]

Hi. I wish u guys to guide me on how I might add monsters to my hero (fill all blank slots)

Thank u ..8)

From your town window, drag the creature portraits from the town row into the hero row....the hero must be in town however. Creatures can also be bought from creature dwellings outside of town or join from nuetral stacks.
joel_c17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#25 joel_c17
Member since 2005 • 3206 Posts
I loooooooooooooooove heroes 3! one of the best games evvvvvvvverrrrrrr
kosYAK45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 kosYAK45
Member since 2010 • 25 Posts
(sorry please! i'm for Russia) game - cool! my cool!