Here is the thing about destiny

This topic is locked from further discussion.

yukushi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By yukushi
Member since 2011 • 2368 Posts

Yes I know its repetitive and the grinding to level up is a pain but when it comes to solid game play no other shooter can stand up to it, leave your friends behind go down into those dark tunnels by yourself and take on the enemy in the campaign and you will find out what a shooter should be like, No other developers in the industry can make a first person shooter like bungie.

sevendaysaweek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 sevendaysaweek
Member since 2014 • 32 Posts

The problem I have with Destiny is the fact that I get bored after half an hour when playing it. It's too repetitive and it already feels like I have done it all a couple of times. The PvP has too much instakills, too. But still, I love the game and I hope and believe the expansions will make it even more enjoyable.

mastermetal777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 38

User Lists: 2

#3 mastermetal777
Member since 2009 • 3236 Posts

I believe it's a good game. Flawed, obviously, and it has more show don't tell than it knows what to do with, and the mission structure is very old school (a pro and a con at the same time), but I still enjoy it. I love the world, the enemy AI, the PvP, and the incredible raids and weapons at your disposal. Definitely my current GOTY just for how many hours of enjoyment I've gotten out of it

yukushi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4  Edited By yukushi
Member since 2011 • 2368 Posts

It was a stupid idea to make destiny an mmo, it should have being a game with a single player campaign that you can play offline and good multiplayer like halo, it would have gotten higher ratings and more buys.

mastermetal777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 mastermetal777

@yukushi: I can see why they did it though, and I admire them for sticking to their vision. Do I wish there was an offline mode? Yeah, but I haven't had any major problems with it, so it's all good

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 122

#6 The_Last_Ride
Member since 2004 • 76371 Posts

@yukushi: i really like Destiny, i loved the PVP the most

sevendaysaweek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 sevendaysaweek

Are there less instakills in the PVP, or am I just making that up in my head?

mastermetal777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 mastermetal777

@sevendaysaweek: only instakills are from super attacks I believe.

Bigboi500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#9 Bigboi500
Member since 2007 • 35550 Posts

Yeah I agree, the shooting mechanics and the games atmosphere are top notch. Too bad there's not enough SP content in general to satisfy me. The only thing that's kept me playing this long is upgrading to the best possible gear I can get my hands on.

I'm really growing tired of it though, and was sorely disappointed with The Dark Below expansion.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#10 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts

Unfortunately, it's gameplay mechanics don't give infinite variability such as something like Tetris. So repetition becomes a detracting point against it.

mastermetal777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 mastermetal777

@foxhound_fox: every game gets repetitive. Even Tetris.

sukraj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#12 sukraj
Member since 2008 • 27859 Posts

I regret buying Destiny that was a bad mistake.

waffleboy22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 1

#13 waffleboy22
Member since 2013 • 305 Posts

I will agree with the fact that the combat aspects of the game are very well done, and Bungie has never had a problem making games that are fun to play when you're in combat and actively fighting. Where it really fails for me is in the strangeness of its leveling system, the immense amount of traveling needed to get from point A to point B, and the fact that all missions are more or less the same. I really felt like the only thing different missions offered was a change in scenery, and mechanically they all seemed to function the same. I also think that its a much better social experience than it is a single player one, and somebody who doesn't have many people to play with probably won't enjoy it as much as somebody who goes into matches with people they know and can talk to. I don't think it's a terrible game, and if you can look past those negative mechanics then you probably will have a great time with it, but in my case i just can't and for that reason just really don't enjoy it

Bigboi500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Bigboi500

@foxhound_fox said:

Unfortunately, it's gameplay mechanics don't give infinite variability such as something like Tetris. So repetition becomes a detracting point against it.

Destiny is much like the Souls games: great combat, immersive worlds, lack of story that you have to use websites to uncover, limited content.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#15 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts

@mastermetal777: Some get repetitive much earlier than others. Destiny is one that gets repetitive after a couple hours.

@BigBoi500: Except the Souls games have depth to their gameplay and high variability that allows for lots of player customization and experimentation.

Bigboi500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Bigboi500

@foxhound_fox said:

@mastermetal777: Some get repetitive much earlier than others. Destiny is one that gets repetitive after a couple hours.

@BigBoi500: Except the Souls games have depth to their gameplay and high variability that allows for lots of player customization and experimentation.

Destiny gameplay has depth... for a FPS, if there is such a thing. Destiny sucks for several reasons: 1. always online, even for SP missions and activities. 2. Too much is dependent upon a fire team and not enough viable activities for going it alone. 3. Way too much repetitive activities in order to advance.

Souls games problems are lack of content covered up by repetitive trial and error expectations instead of actually having more content. Levels are designed like figure eights, where paths are locked until you've ran around in a circle to unlock a door and move forward.

They're both over-rated games that appeal to specific kinds of niche gamers.

sevendaysaweek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 sevendaysaweek

@mastermetal777: Might be so. However, I got instakilled all the time first few times I tried the PvP, but last time around it didn't happend that frequently. Hence, I even got some kills with my scout rifle, which I until that time had found completely useless in PvP.

pwnanobrien22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 pwnanobrien22
Member since 2013 • 25 Posts

I gave Destiny a whirl...played it for about 2 hours at a friends house. My take is...I've played call of duty...I've played Halo...and I've played Borderlands...ergo before I even played Destiny..I already played Destiny...:(

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Lulu_Lulu
Member since 2013 • 19564 Posts

Not really. If the gameplay was as solid as you say it is then they wouldn't have bothered with the stats

:)

heretrix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#20 heretrix
Member since 2004 • 37881 Posts

Destiny has solid mechanics but almost every other design decision is pretty questionable.

Grinding, while not necessarily bad in itself when done properly, is used in Destiny to slow progression every step of the way. In fact, pretty much every other design decision in the game is set to make your progression slow as they possibly can. Bungie knows they really don't have enough content to satisfy everyone so instead of doing the right thing and fixing that, they add another layer of shit to slow you down. It feels like a mobile game.

The economy is a mess and they should have a more comprehensive matchmaking system rather than the half assed approach they came up with. They have matchmaking for the regular easy strikes but for the harder nightfall strikes there is no matchmaking. I can understand this in the raids, where you'd want to be with a tighter crew, but again this is another way to keep you from progressing as the Nightfall strikes have better gear rewards. Sure you can gather a group, but it's just the inconsistency of it all that bothers me. The game is all over the place and suffers greatly for it.

And that DLC...ugh.