Help me with my wife....

This topic is locked from further discussion.

jands42107

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 jands42107
Member since 2010 • 168 Posts

My wife is not a gamer. Never has been. I've been playing since I got my first nintendo.

I am at a loss for how to get her to like them. She just doesnt seem interested. I am getting a PS3 in the mail tomorrow and I alreay have a Wii.

Any ideas?

kontejner44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 kontejner44
Member since 2006 • 2025 Posts

Tried with Wii sports?

summer_star17x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#3 summer_star17x
Member since 2007 • 2683 Posts
little big planet
TruSake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#4 TruSake
Member since 2005 • 502 Posts

divorce her and find a gamer wife

branketra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 9

#5 branketra
Member since 2006 • 51726 Posts
A game with good music.
Gammit10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 119

User Lists: 2

#6 Gammit10
Member since 2004 • 2397 Posts
My wife is into Rock Band, Mario Kart Wii, Animal Crossing DS, and helping me play (being the second controller) Super Mario Galaxy. You could try those games.
spawnassasin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#7 spawnassasin
Member since 2006 • 18702 Posts

divorce her and find a gamer wife

TruSake

:o someone get this man a klondike bar

kodyoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 kodyoo
Member since 2010 • 258 Posts

All I can tell you is what my gf likes to play:

Starcraft
Dungeon Keeper 2
Sims 2&3

you could see if sims is up her alley, that is a pretty girly game...

But the most likely reason why she doesn't like games is because she has never really given them a fair chance.

S0lidSnake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#9 S0lidSnake
Member since 2002 • 29001 Posts

and you didnt know that BEFORE you married her?

SkylinePigeon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#10 SkylinePigeon
Member since 2005 • 2625 Posts
Some people just don't like certain things. For example, there's a good chance you probably don't like... IDK, bubble baths or chick flicks, but your wife probably does. :P You can't force her to like video games. That said, if you would like them to be a shared activity, this is gonna be an exercise in give and take. Firstly, show an interest in one of her hobbies that you don't normally take to, as a way of getting to know each other better. If you show interest in something of hers, then you can talk her into taking a little time to do something you like. When you bring up games, make it about spending time together, not games themselves. Find a game you can play together, like New Super Mario Bros. Wii or Little Big Planet. Be patient with her and help her if she asks, but don't baby her through it. That will be a good way to get her foot in the door. :)
bigmack_20_20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#11 bigmack_20_20
Member since 2004 • 614 Posts

Some people just don't like certain things. For example, there's a good chance you probably don't like... IDK, bubble baths or chick flicks, but your wife probably does. :P You can't force her to like video games. That said, if you would like them to be a shared activity, this is gonna be an exercise in give and take. Firstly, show an interest in one of her hobbies that you don't normally take to, as a way of getting to know each other better. If you show interest in something of hers, then you can talk her into taking a little time to do something you like. When you bring up games, make it about spending time together, not games themselves. Find a game you can play together, like New Super Mario Bros. Wii or Little Big Planet. Be patient with her and help her if she asks, but don't baby her through it. That will be a good way to get her foot in the door. :)SkylinePigeon

nevermind doctor phil up there listen the best thing to do is get that new pets game coming out on the ps3 oh and little big planet for some reason my wife sits and plays that for hours on end. i can't even play borderlands because she is playing it now. naother game you could try is heavy rain it's really simple to play and it's like watching a movie i'm sure she will like that.

Avatar image for IxX3xil3d0n3XxI
IxX3xil3d0n3XxI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#12 IxX3xil3d0n3XxI
Member since 2006 • 1508 Posts

met my fiance on wow. Shes currently playing dragon age orgins. Her past favs are Fallout 3, super mario galaxy, guitar hero, knights of the old republic, mass effect 1 and 2. Her all time fav is Baldur's Gate. She seems to like games like games with the ability to romance. Sims too.

TacticalDesire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 TacticalDesire
Member since 2010 • 10713 Posts

Well it might be hard considering she's probably never tried video games and shows little interest however I think more than any game suggestions, what you should really tell her is why you enjoy video games, (which for me would be the ability to experience events and circumstances that are often unrealistic, exciting, dangerous and adrenaline rushed without the threat of any real danger) then maybe show her how much many video games now are pretty much just interactive movies! This may or may not be the case with your wife but, I feel that many adults who haven't played a video game since the days of Pac-Man or Pong simply don't know how cinematic, intuitive and flat out fun some games can be.

NodsToNothing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 NodsToNothing
Member since 2008 • 89 Posts

met my fiance on wow.

IxX3xil3d0n3XxI

Seriously? How does that even happen? Did you live in the same town?

jands42107

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 jands42107
Ha ha. I told my wife she could help me play Galaxy. She was waving the remote around half-heartedly and gave me a look like "this is supposed to be fun". I laughed. I had to admit, it looked really stupid.
jands42107

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 jands42107

Starcraft
Dungeon Keeper 2
Sims 2&3

But the most likely reason why she doesn't like games is because she has never really given them a fair chance.

kodyoo

That and I don't know how to reel myself in. When we play competitively, I pretty much destroy her. I need to tone it down a bit.

I just got Little Big Planet in the mail. My PS3 should arrive today. Hopefully she will like it.

jands42107

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 jands42107

S0lidSnake
Seriously? Why in the world would I base who I married on a video game. Wow. Some of you guys take games WAY too seriously.
jands42107

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 jands42107
You are most helpful. Thanks.
kodyoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 kodyoo
Member since 2010 • 258 Posts

[QUOTE="kodyoo"]

Starcraft
Dungeon Keeper 2
Sims 2&3

jands42107

That and I don't know how to reel myself in. When we play competitively, I pretty much destroy her. I need to tone it down a bit.

I just got Little Big Planet in the mail. My PS3 should arrive today. Hopefully she will like it.

We don't play starcraft competitively. We just play on a team against a couple of computers, i think it is better this way ;)

Avatar image for Canvas_Of_Flesh
Canvas_Of_Flesh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Canvas_Of_Flesh
Member since 2007 • 4052 Posts
Some people just don't like video games. My wife is one of those. She's tried them and she just doesn't like them.
rawsavon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 rawsavon
Member since 2004 • 40001 Posts

I have never understood the obsession with wanting your wife/gf to play games...

You do not need to share every activity/hobby
-in fact, time apart is just as important as time together

Why would your wife want to waste her valuable 'free time' doing something she does not want to do?
Just let her be

S0lidSnake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 S0lidSnake
Member since 2002 • 29001 Posts

[QUOTE="S0lidSnake"]

jands42107

Seriously? Why in the world would I base who I married on a video game. Wow. Some of you guys take games WAY too seriously.

you completely missed my point, but whatever.

Avatar image for DecadesOfGaming
DecadesOfGaming

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 38

#23 DecadesOfGaming
Member since 2007 • 3100 Posts

something easy like 'Buggie Bunnies'.. its available on xbox live, so it might be available on the playstation network..

keep in mind that if you eventually get her into gaming; in the future she'll be sat beside you constantly saying "Can I have a go ? Is it my turn yet ?

lol

enjoy the peace, whilst you can.

Solid_Snake325

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#24 Solid_Snake325
Member since 2006 • 6091 Posts
Three words. Mario Kart Wii.
hawk549

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 hawk549
Member since 2007 • 1220 Posts

little big planetsummer_star17x

ya this game converts stubborn non gamer women lol....cute little sackboy ftw!

Tropictrain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Tropictrain
Member since 2010 • 4863 Posts

Some people just don't like certain things. For example, there's a good chance you probably don't like... IDK, bubble baths or chick flicks, but your wife probably does. :P You can't force her to like video games. That said, if you would like them to be a shared activity, this is gonna be an exercise in give and take. Firstly, show an interest in one of her hobbies that you don't normally take to, as a way of getting to know each other better. If you show interest in something of hers, then you can talk her into taking a little time to do something you like. When you bring up games, make it about spending time together, not games themselves. Find a game you can play together, like New Super Mario Bros. Wii or Little Big Planet. Be patient with her and help her if she asks, but don't baby her through it. That will be a good way to get her foot in the door. :)SkylinePigeon

This guys got the right idea. If you want her to take an interest in your activities, your best bet is to take an interest in hers first. There's probably stuff she wants you to do that you don't want to. Whether it be certain movies, or shopping with her. I don't know. But she can't be the only one showing an interest, you have to as well.

My started buying consoles when she first met me. Now she spends more time gaming than me. Mostly playing shooters. She might like it if she gets into, but then again she might not.

Flame_Blade88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Flame_Blade88
Member since 2005 • 39348 Posts
If she doesn't seem interested, then she most likely isn't lol I wouldn't force her to like them.
olrion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#28 olrion
Member since 2005 • 457 Posts
Same here. My girlfriend doesn't like games either and she can't understand why I get so engrossed in 'stupid games'. However, she will try out Wii Resort from time to time and friendly platform titles. She and my sister played a Hello Kitty game for the PS2 for hours. It looked rubbish but they played it. Maybe give friendly platform games a try?!?! Be prepared that your wife may never be interested in gaming. I've never tried to get my girlfriend to share my interest in gaming because I accept that my efforts would likely be futile. So, I play alone at games I like, which works out better than sharing in my opinion. One of my mates has a girlfriend who is really into games and better at them most gamers I know. They met on WoW and he hates the fact she plays his Xbox more than he does and he gets little chance to play it himself.
Pvt_r3d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Pvt_r3d
Member since 2006 • 7901 Posts
Play a game like Dead or Alive Beach Volleyball on your HDTV and see if she's interested.
weezyfb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#30 weezyfb
Member since 2009 • 14703 Posts
why do you need her o be a gamer?
roboccs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 roboccs
Member since 2006 • 7851 Posts

Does she have to like games for your marriage to be successful? I love to game (PS3, PS2, DS,and Wii owner) and my wife will only really play Band Hero and occasionally the original Super Mario Bros. We co-exist perfectly. You just can't be a degenerate and play 12 hours a day. I usually play on weekends or at night. If I do start up a game during the week in the evenings I don't anchor myself to the game. If something else needs to get done then I'll pause it or shut it off. No big deal. If you don't let the games "interfere" with the committment of marriage then she can't complain.

Good luck!

liquid_snake20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 liquid_snake20
Member since 2010 • 25 Posts

My wife is not a gamer. Never has been. I've been playing since I got my first nintendo.

I am at a loss for how to get her to like them. She just doesnt seem interested. I am getting a PS3 in the mail tomorrow and I alreay have a Wii.

Any ideas?

jands42107
Let her try some of your game. pick a simple game for her so she wont get confused and get pissed......
SteelAttack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 SteelAttack
Member since 2005 • 10520 Posts

OP, whatever you do, please don't force it, you can end up with a wife that HATES gaming instead of only being indifferent to it.

Filipino_Rambo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Filipino_Rambo
Member since 2009 • 259 Posts

Trade her in for a newer model.

San-Frodenzo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points