Have you ever taken a break from the Souls games because of difficulty?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

YosemiteSam400

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 YosemiteSam400
Member since 2013 • 159 Posts

After dying a lot..that is. I've been playing Demons Souls lately, but I doubt I'll ever finish it. I knew the game was going to brutal going in, and I do like it, but don't think I'll finish it, lol. I mainly took a break from it and I'm playing through the first Mass Effect again. Sometimes I just like taking it easy after getting my butt handed to me a lot. I'm not that great at video games anyway though to be honest. Something about those souls games though, hard as hell but still well made. Besides, I'm sure if I tried to finish that game, I'd NEVER get my backlog completed , lol.

Anyone here ever done the same? Taking a break from the souls games that is just to play something thats a little easier and such?

Thanks.

IndianaPwns39

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 73

#2 IndianaPwns39
Member since 2008 • 5037 Posts

No. Then again, I'm one of those people that finds the Souls games are over exaggerated in difficulty.

YosemiteSam400

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 YosemiteSam400
Member since 2013 • 159 Posts

No. Then again, I'm one of those people that finds the Souls games are over exaggerated in difficulty.

IndianaPwns39
Really? You must be pretty good at games then. I thought they were pretty hard, in a good way though. Not broken at all.
LoG-Sacrament

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 33

#4 LoG-Sacrament
Member since 2006 • 20397 Posts

my first character in demon's souls was melee oriented, so i died a few times against the flame lurker (if you haven't found him yet, you just wait! :P ). i put the controller down for the night and beat him later. however, the most productive thing to do when you're stuck in the souls games isn't dropping the game or keep banging away with the same tactic over and over again. i ended up beating the flame lurker by trying something new. i can beat him now with that same build with no problem because i know what works for me.

Systems_Id

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Systems_Id
Member since 2002 • 8156 Posts

I took a break from Dark Souls a couple of times. I stopped at Sen's Fortress for a week and Ornstein/Smough for a couple of months until I swallowed my pride and summoned some help. 

GamerForca

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 78

#6 GamerForca
Member since 2005 • 7203 Posts
Never took a break from Demon's. Absolutely loved it throughout.

and Ornstein/Smough for a couple of months until I swallowed my pride and summoned some help. 

Systems_Id
This happened to me in Dark Souls though lol. Could not beat Ornstein and Smough my first play-through without a summon. I think I stopped for about a week.
jdc6305

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#7 jdc6305
Member since 2005 • 5058 Posts

I bought dark souls on day 1. It took me a year to finish it. Not because it was hard or anything I just wanted to get the most out of the game. I got almost every item and upgraded it. I took breaks here and there sometimes up to a month. I also didn't want to finish the game till after the dlc came out. I don't play more then one game at a time or I'll get sidetracked and never finsih them.

gpuFX16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 gpuFX16
Member since 2006 • 1296 Posts

Nope. If anything, I find it difficult to take breaks from the game(s). My first playthrough of Dark Souls lasted me about a good 60 hours after I spent a lot of time just exploring the environments. I did spend some quality time with Anor Londo's archerss the first time (like, 45 minutes of death and failure), but I got it eventually.

Really the Souls games are not that difficult once you get the hang of the mechanics. You just have to think ahead. Only attack when there's an opening. Two-hand your weapons vs bosses. There's probably an enemy around that corner.

IndianaPwns39

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 IndianaPwns39

[QUOTE="IndianaPwns39"]

YosemiteSam400

Really? You must be pretty good at games then. I thought they were pretty hard, in a good way though. Not broken at all.

They can be difficult at times. Demon's Souls Flamelurker gave me a lot of trouble, for instance. However, people are frequently talking about how they couldn't get through a certain part or how some bosses were just too punishing, and I never encountered that. Yeah, Flamelurker killed me several times but I always got my souls back. It's no different than the 9 times I died at the last boss in Metal Gear Rising and just restarted the check point.

Hatiko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Hatiko
Member since 2006 • 4669 Posts

my first character in demon's souls was melee oriented, so i died a few times against the flame lurker (if you haven't found him yet, you just wait! :P ). i put the controller down for the night and beat him later. however, the most productive thing to do when you're stuck in the souls games isn't dropping the game or keep banging away with the same tactic over and over again. i ended up beating the flame lurker by trying something new. i can beat him now with that same build with no problem because i know what works for me.

LoG-Sacrament

I actually would bang away at the same tactic again and again because it was the only way to do something. Like with flamelurker it took me a 40 minute fight (8 hours of trying in total) to kill him with melee. It is just that one tiny misstep or wrong move will kill you. Patience is key but it kills you when you make that one tiny mistake.

Flubbbs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Flubbbs
Member since 2010 • 4968 Posts

yea i took break from getting frustrated trying to solo O&S and the 4 Kings

chaplainDMK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 chaplainDMK
Member since 2008 • 7004 Posts
Yeap, it just gets a bit too much after a while to me. Not in a bad way, but my nerves need cooling.
LoG-Sacrament

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 33

#13 LoG-Sacrament
Member since 2006 • 20397 Posts

[QUOTE="LoG-Sacrament"]

Hatiko

I actually would bang away at the same tactic again and again because it was the only way to do something. Like with flamelurker it took me a 40 minute fight (8 hours of trying in total) to kill him with melee. It is just that one tiny misstep or wrong move will kill you. Patience is key but it kills you when you make that one tiny mistake.

[spoiler] for me, i first started going at him with a shield and all the flame resistance stuff i could find with assumption that i could sustain blocking his attacks. now, i've seen videos of people doing this along with some timely dives, but it just wasn't for me. once i started trying to hit hard and not be hit at all, i was able to beat him. i didn't bother with the shield or flame resistance. i just put on the thieves ring, attacked from behind pillars when he lost me, and enchanted my weapon right before he gets pissed off near the end of the fight. [/spoiler] it was really rare for me to have a serious problem with a boss in the souls games and have it end up being largely a matter of execution. i mean, i couldn't afford to be terrible at the games or anything, but it was most often a case of figuring out the right strategy for me.
Minishdriveby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#14 Minishdriveby
Member since 2006 • 10519 Posts
No

IndianaPwns39
Agreed. There were two areas in Dark Souls where I got a little annoyed, but I didn't quit in frustration (they were sen's fortress and archers in anor londo on my first playthrough, sunsequent playthroughs I realized short cuts and worked out ways to get around the archers).
Minishdriveby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Minishdriveby

I bought dark souls on day 1. It took me a year to finish it. Not because it was hard or anything I just wanted to get the most out of the game. I got almost every item and upgraded it. I took breaks here and there sometimes up to a month. I also didn't want to finish the game till after the dlc came out. I don't play more then one game at a time or I'll get sidetracked and never finsih them.

jdc6305
It took me less than a week to finish Dark Souls (35 hours). Then I went for NG+ & NG++ 4 months laters and completed (platinum'd) the game in about 50 hours. Demon's Souls was beaten in 24 hours, but I should go back and work on that platinum.
JamDev

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 JamDev
Member since 2013 • 992 Posts
Only played Dark Souls, but definitely didn't need to take a break from it, found it completely compulsive. I found it pretty hard, being too stubborn to pay for xbox live gold and going pure melee without learning any magic didn't help. I'll admit I did end up reading walkthroughs and watching vids after getting my ass kicked by certain bosses. The challenge was actually quite refreshing, most modern games are very easy and really have no consequences for dying which can actually become pretty boring. There is no tension or sense of danger if you remove all penalties from death.
Spartan_N7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Spartan_N7
Member since 2013 • 581 Posts
I bought Dark Souls last Saturday. I played it up untill the Taurus Demon in the Undead Burg. I got my a$$ handed to me. Took a little break and focused on Hitman: Absolution. When back, beat the Taurus, went a little farther, got my a$$ handed to me again by this big black knight (I dont know what its called). Now Im focusing on God of War, lmao.
Chemistian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#18 Chemistian
Member since 2003 • 635 Posts
I own Dark Souls and use Gamefly for all of my other games. Never took a break to get away from the difficulty, but once I got the last achievement, this became my fallback game. If GF sends me a crappy game, it's back to DS for me.
Justforvisit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#19 Justforvisit
Member since 2011 • 2660 Posts

Not because of difficulty exactly, but when I finally arrived Anor Londo it felt like I had beaten Part 1 of 2 of the game and so I let it rest until I find the motivation to play again or to start part 2 of 2 ^^

Texas2089

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Texas2089
Member since 2003 • 16490 Posts
Not really. Never played Dark Souls, but I stopped playing Demon's Souls because the story bored me, not because of difficulty. I've always found the difficulty to be overblown in the game though. Sure, you WILL die a lot, but if you take the time to learn from your mistakes and think things through instead of just rushing in guns blazing you can make it through.
IndianaPwns39

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 IndianaPwns39

[QUOTE="jdc6305"]

Minishdriveby

It took me less than a week to finish Dark Souls (35 hours). Then I went for NG+ & NG++ 4 months laters and completed (platinum'd) the game in about 50 hours. Demon's Souls was beaten in 24 hours, but I should go back and work on that platinum.

Dark Souls' Platinum was fun to get it. Demon's Souls requires all the world tendancy bull crap, and screw that :P

Planeforger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#22 Planeforger
Member since 2004 • 19583 Posts

No. Then again, I'm one of those people that finds the Souls games are over exaggerated in difficulty.IndianaPwns39

Agreed. Once you get the hang of the combat system and have some decent equipment, it's actually quite a forgiving game.

Then again, I play heaps of roguelikes (where everything can kill you and death is permanent), so my perception of RPG difficulty is a little skewed. :P

SwagKingCole

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 SwagKingCole
Member since 2013 • 25 Posts

I straight up quit Demon Souls and have not returned to it since. It was not the difficulty by itself that made me quit, but the combination of the difficulty and the depressing atmosphere. However, I am playing Dark Souls right now and the difficulty does not bother me at all thanks to the more approachable atmosphere.

PetJel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#24 PetJel
Member since 2009 • 3725 Posts
No. I was so into it that I played it every day for ten hours until I was through. Then started all over again immediately.
IndianaPwns39

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 IndianaPwns39

I straight up quit Demon Souls and have not returned to it since. It was not the difficulty by itself that made me quit, but the combination of the difficulty and the depressing atmosphere. However, I am playing Dark Souls right now and the difficulty does not bother me at all thanks to the more approachable atmosphere.

SwagKingCole

Interesting.

Now that you mention it I suppose there wasn't anything as straight up creepy as Tower of Latria in Dark Souls.

MentatAssassin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#26 MentatAssassin
Member since 2005 • 3007 Posts

Never quit because of difficulty but I do take breaks from it now and again.

Minishdriveby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Minishdriveby

[QUOTE="Minishdriveby"][QUOTE="jdc6305"]

IndianaPwns39

Dark Souls' Platinum was fun to get it. Demon's Souls requires all the world tendancy bull crap, and screw that :P

Yeah. I was kind of dreading getting all the equipment trophies due to the world tendency. Dark Souls was a fun plat to get, and one you actually had to work a little for.

sukraj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#28 sukraj
Member since 2008 • 27859 Posts

No