Has your Ps4 crashed?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

iDeadPull

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By iDeadPull
Member since 2016 • 8 Posts

(New to GameSpot and wasn't sure what board to put this in)

Anyway,

I literally just bought this thing last night. I was on Netflix and it was download Bo3, and all of a sudden it shut off. When I tried turning it on a blue light lit up instead of white, and just turned back off. I looked it up and it said something like "Blue Light of Death" and gave a solution, so I tried it, and it worked. But about an hour later it did the same thing. GameStop has a warranty and I'm friends with the guys up there, so I know they'll replace it for free. My one concern; is this gonna happen with a replacement? I really like the new features and such, but this is crap. How does a brand new game console crash within the first couple hours of being on?

Employee427

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2 Employee427
Member since 2016 • 489 Posts

Sell it and build a PC

ArchoNils2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 ArchoNils2
Member since 2005 • 10534 Posts

It crashes all the time, it's like one of its features. It crashed yesterday when I tried to play a Digimon fight online.
You can actually make your PS4 crash if you play Omega Quintet and go to sleep mode. Once you power it up again, it'll crash.
Oh and don't even try to install a 4TB HDD ^^

iDeadPull

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 iDeadPull
Member since 2016 • 8 Posts

@ArchoNils2:

But does it turn back on? Mine won't turn back on unless I go through a process of restarting it(holding buttons down, unplugging things, ect.) and it's a nuisance

Macutchi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#6 Macutchi
Member since 2007 • 10566 Posts

i've never had a crash like that tbf. i've had in game crashes but it was a bethesda game so it's to be expected. i'm due to install a new hd in the next few weeks so @ArchoNils2 comment has me concerned however

mastermetal777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 38

User Lists: 2

#7 mastermetal777
Member since 2009 • 3236 Posts

@Macutchi: I just installed a 2 TB hard drive on my system a few days ago. Everything has been incredibly smooth so far (had an issue with running Bloodborne at first, but reinstalling it fixed it up).

I've never had the entire system crash on me before, to stay on topic. I've only had specific games crash every now and then.

ArchoNils2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 ArchoNils2
Member since 2005 • 10534 Posts

@ideadpull said:

@ArchoNils2:

But does it turn back on? Mine won't turn back on unless I go through a process of restarting it(holding buttons down, unplugging things, ect.) and it's a nuisance

Well I don't watch Netflix on mine, so I have no clue about problems with it. Most of my issues where the games crashing and from time to time the system crashing. Some times I even had to go into this maintenance menu by holding down the PS button.

@Macutchi said:

i've never had a crash like that tbf. i've had in game crashes but it was a bethesda game so it's to be expected. i'm due to install a new hd in the next few weeks so @ArchoNils2 comment has me concerned however

You are fine as long as you stay below 4Tb. Just don't try to connect a 4Tb Hdd and you should be okay.

@mastermetal777 said:

@Macutchi: I just installed a 2 TB hard drive on my system a few days ago. Everything has been incredibly smooth so far (had an issue with running Bloodborne at first, but reinstalling it fixed it up).

I've never had the entire system crash on me before, to stay on topic. I've only had specific games crash every now and then.

Lucky you :)

xantufrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 5

#9 xantufrog  Moderator
Member since 2013 • 17875 Posts

Mine has never crashed or hung up. I'd suggest anyone with frequent crashes look into that more than just assuming it's how the product is in general

Macutchi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Macutchi

@mastermetal777@ArchoNils2 ok cheers chaps i'd have liked to have gone 4tb because i've got a lot of games already but i can live with 2. anything's better than the measly 500gb you get

yukushi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 yukushi
Member since 2011 • 2368 Posts

@ideadpull: I discovered that attaching a glider to your ps4 helps to slow down the impact so when it crashes the damage is not great.

SoNin360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 328

User Lists: 3

#12 SoNin360
Member since 2008 • 7175 Posts

I've had games crash but that's an issue with those games. I've never had my PS4 shut itself off or freeze. I think, overall, the PS4's hardware is more reliable than the PS3 so I'd say you just got unlucky and to not worry about it happening with a replacement if you get one.

shellcase86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By shellcase86
Member since 2012 • 6857 Posts

Mine has frozen once or twice in the last 2 years. Had to disconnect, it rebooted, did its diagnostic check, everything was ok.

suicidesn0wman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#14 suicidesn0wman
Member since 2006 • 7490 Posts

@ideadpull: I've had mine since launch, only issues have been with the launch controllers, but I hear they've fixed those a while ago. Hopefully you bought a new PS4, not a refurb, I wouldn't be surprised if a refurb had issues.

suicidesn0wman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 suicidesn0wman

@Macutchi said:

@mastermetal777@ArchoNils2 ok cheers chaps i'd have liked to have gone 4tb because i've got a lot of games already but i can live with 2. anything's better than the measly 500gb you get

I think a 2tb should be fine, I've got a 4tb on my X1 with 60 retail games plus all the freebies, it doesn't even use 1/3rd of that space, so a 2tb should be able to handle over 100 games easily I bet. Assuming the games on both consoles are roughly the same size, which I'm betting are at the least very similar.

mark1974

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 mark1974
Member since 2015 • 4261 Posts

Fallout 4 has caused a few crashes but I blame that on the game. That's the only way mine has ever crashed.

Macutchi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Macutchi
@suicidesn0wman said:
@Macutchi said:

I think a 2tb should be fine, I've got a 4tb on my X1 with 60 retail games plus all the freebies, it doesn't even use 1/3rd of that space, so a 2tb should be able to handle over 100 games easily I bet. Assuming the games on both consoles are roughly the same size, which I'm betting are at the least very similar.

interesting. i've got about 25 retail games with 10 games installed. i'm now on a 1 in 1 out system. so by those numbers and minus the 50gb for the OS i could fit in theory something like 40-45 games on 2tb, which falls considerably short of your estimation of 100, and i'd imagine games will get bigger in size as the gen progresses too. i'd have assumed the two consoles were similar too but going off those numbers they don't seem to be

edit: just had a look at what i've got installed and most games are 40-50gb. wolfenstein the new order is 52gb lol. larger then just cause 3, witcher 3 and fallout 4

sukraj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#18  Edited By sukraj
Member since 2008 • 27859 Posts

no mine has never crashed lol

Avatar image for deactivated-58bd60b980002
deactivated-58bd60b980002

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 50

User Lists: 1

#19 deactivated-58bd60b980002
Member since 2004 • 2016 Posts

My PS4 never crashed. My PS3 did crash a few times like with Fallout 3 DLC which are abysmal, then with every Activision's Transformers that I played they all crashed somewhere. Otherwise I never had any problem with Sony.

TheHighWind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By TheHighWind
Member since 2003 • 5724 Posts

My ps4 has never crashed, but my ps3 crashed ALL the time.

suicidesn0wman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 suicidesn0wman

@Macutchi said:
@suicidesn0wman said:
@Macutchi said:

interesting. i've got about 25 retail games with 10 games installed. i'm now on a 1 in 1 out system. so by those numbers and minus the 50gb for the OS i could fit in theory something like 40-45 games on 2tb, which falls considerably short of your estimation of 100, and i'd imagine games will get bigger in size as the gen progresses too. i'd have assumed the two consoles were similar too but going off those numbers they don't seem to be

edit: just had a look at what i've got installed and most games are 40-50gb. wolfenstein the new order is 52gb lol. larger then just cause 3, witcher 3 and fallout 4

I'll take a look at what I've got installed and share the data with you when I get off work tonight, I know I have a ton of games installed right now, well over 60 + gwg games. Fairly certain I'm just over 1tb usage so far.

raugutcon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#22 raugutcon
Member since 2014 • 5576 Posts

My PS3 has it´s kryptonite ----> Killzone 3, that game causes a severe case of indigestion to my, otherwise perfect, PS3. Haven´t found any kryptonite for my PS4.

Treflis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Treflis
Member since 2004 • 13757 Posts

Haven't had a issue with my PS4, though my PS3 would occassionally rev up and sound like a jet engine for a couple of hours.

suicidesn0wman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 suicidesn0wman

@Macutchi: Ok, seems I have a lot of games that need to be installed still. I've got about 38 retail games installed, 20 X360 games installed, 28 GWG indie games(or indie sized games) plus 3 beta installs. 89 total. I'm at 32.6% used with 2.9 TB free. I think i'd probably get another 6 or 7 installed before I hit 2.5tb left(meaning 2tb filled). Guessing the 360 games would be another 3 or 4 modern current gen games, probably get about 50ish games installed on a 2tb plus another 30-40 indies(assuming most come from PS+).

ydnarrewop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#25 ydnarrewop
Member since 2004 • 2292 Posts

@ideadpull: Bad luck. Get a new one. Definitely not typical.

Avatar image for deactivated-58183aaaa31d8
deactivated-58183aaaa31d8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 deactivated-58183aaaa31d8
Member since 2015 • 2238 Posts

@ideadpull: That is the exact reason why I won't buy consoles (or any electronics for that matter) second hand.

I bought a PS3 used and the fans just kicked into over drive the second I turned it on. Had to return it. You just don't know what sort of fool is going to have owned the console.

You never know GameStop might have had to hoover about six foot squared of dust from it before they sold it to you.